Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Games with PS4 and PS5 versions on the PS5 let you choose via a drop down menu which version to install. At launch it would default to downloading the previous generation version, but I believe they have since fixed that.

SUNKOS posted:

I don't see myself buying a PS5 for quite a while due to shortages, the hardware issues and Sony apparently rushing to develop a new version already to help manufacture more units, so it seems best to hold off and wait.

The new version is likely a revision to internal components and won't be consumer-facing at all. Most of the PS5 issues I have heard of, like how rest mode isn't working on my PS5 last I checked, seem more like firmware bugs and not strictly hardware problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
My favorite ps5 firmware glitch was where I couldn't use the main dashboard to launch any games because is was flooded with corrupt data of games that were long since deleted. The games would stay on the far left side and would not move off, only increase.

Last update finally fixed it though.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If there's a native PS5 version then I assume it would have to be two separate versions! I don't know though. I am also holding off on getting a PS5, one because they're impossible to buy here, two because the bigger games like Horizon 2 and God Of War 2022 are still allegedly coming to PS4 and I have a pro so I can wait a bit longer.

It's such a weird situation, I don't know what they're doing and yeah, even their "We believe in generations!" talk is in the trash now since they've delayed a bunch of games to make PS4 versions so who knows what's going on. I really want to play the new Ratchet & Clank but that's it so I can hold off and wait as well. Eager for new Halo multiplayer and Forza though, as well as whatever that isometric cyberpunky shooter game is since it looks fun as hell but I think it got delayed? Hoping there'll be an exciting surprise as well. Imagine if Quake got the Doom treatment :swoon:

Curious about EA's show also and if Respawn announce anything. They have multiple teams as far as I know and one was expanded to keep working on Apex Legends, so I imagine the other team will be ready to announce a new title maybe? I know it's really unlikely but I hope it's Titanfall 3 because fans have made a lot of noise about it. Maybe they'll listen? The only reason the last game did poorly is because EA screwed them over with a surprise Battlefield announcement and release when Respawn thought their only competition was COD and were releasing before them.

Zerot posted:

Games with PS4 and PS5 versions on the PS5 let you choose via a drop down menu which version to install. At launch it would default to downloading the previous generation version, but I believe they have since fixed that.

The new version is likely a revision to internal components and won't be consumer-facing at all. Most of the PS5 issues I have heard of, like how rest mode isn't working on my PS5 last I checked, seem more like firmware bugs and not strictly hardware problems.

Thanks for the info! Also yeah, I'm mainly waiting to see if a possible new model fixes the thermals. Not expecting an actual redesign or PS5 Pro.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I dunno if that's the only reason it didn't do well. It seems like a kinda cult series tbh. EA have hosed franchise after franchise to funnell resources to their Battlefield stuff so who knows.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Apparently the first Titanfall sold over 10 million units, but the sequel was estimated to have only managed 4 million. The success of the first game indicates that people clearly enjoyed it a lot but EA just screwed them horribly with the sequel. I do think Respawn made some changes for the worse with the sequel however by taking inspiration from hero shooters and map design being awful. I know a lot of people were really put off by all the changes when they played the beta since it didn't feel as fun as the first game, so when it launched they skipped it.

The best way I could describe the original Titanfall is like the Burnout of FPS games imo, because it was simple and chaotic and had a lot of spectacle. They changed too much with the sequel and then got screwed by EA with the release. I'd love to see a third game that went right back to the style of the first even though I don't think that it will ever happen. The gameplay was perfect and every single map had excellent design, it was perfect. Hell of a game to start a console generation with as well, that gameplay reveal was insane.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

SUNKOS posted:

Apparently the first Titanfall sold over 10 million units, but the sequel was estimated to have only managed 4 million. The success of the first game indicates that people clearly enjoyed it a lot but EA just screwed them horribly with the sequel. I do think Respawn made some changes for the worse with the sequel however by taking inspiration from hero shooters and map design being awful. I know a lot of people were really put off by all the changes when they played the beta since it didn't feel as fun as the first game, so when it launched they skipped it.

The best way I could describe the original Titanfall is like the Burnout of FPS games imo, because it was simple and chaotic and had a lot of spectacle. They changed too much with the sequel and then got screwed by EA with the release. I'd love to see a third game that went right back to the style of the first even though I don't think that it will ever happen. The gameplay was perfect and every single map had excellent design, it was perfect. Hell of a game to start a console generation with as well, that gameplay reveal was insane.

EA killed the series and stretched it's skin over a battle royale game and nobody seems too upset.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Heads up Disney+ is back on the game pass perks page thing. Despite the “for new D+ subscribers only” tag it worked for me even though I claimed it as a perk last time it was a perk

Nice! I was just about to sign up for a month so I could watch the Avengers movies in 4K.

Does the Xbox app support Dolby Vision/Atmos like Netflix?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

EA killed the series and stretched it's skin over a battle royale game and nobody seems too upset.

Oh people are upset alright, watch some popular Apex streams :3:

But on a more serious note the community actually gave a push not long ago and the online population for Titanfall got a fairly decent boost. Think the game was trending worldwide on Twitter as well. Still, EA gonna EA but it's nice to dream!

Imagine an EA conference announcing a new Titanfall, a new Burnout, a new SSX, a new Dead Space and either a remake of Bad Company 2 or Bad Company 3 being made in the exact same style.

:allears:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Titanfall 1 was an absolutely incredible multiplayer game and Titanfall 2 just absolutely was not even if it had a neat and inventive single player mode.

Going into Titanfall 2's multiplayer was completely deflating coming from my favorite multiplayer game of the gen.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

People still play Titanfall 1 as well. Microsoft giving them dedicated servers that spin up on demand means the game will theoretically never die as long as people keep wanting to play, kinda like how Unreal Tournament is still trucking 20+ years later with people having their own servers running :3:

Don't get me wrong however, population is much smaller than Titanfall 2, but you can get full Attrition matches and that's all you need, imo.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Horizon ZD was the best game I played on the PS4 and the only PS exclusive I liked. I think it's absolutely perfect in every way.

But I went for xbox this gen because I don't like any of the other PS exclusives (but mostly for game pass), also the Horizon sequel will still be a PS4 game anyway so I'll still be able to play it, best of both worlds hell yeah.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You can get a series x and PS5 for less than the cost of a decent PC considering graphics cards are now a total joke. It’s great.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

You can get a series x and PS5 for less than the cost of a decent PC considering graphics cards are now a total joke. It’s great.

Yeah I have a Series S + PS5 for less than $1000 when even the "cheap" option of a prebuilt PC is $2000 minimum at the moment. My issue was finding the things but it's not like finding a PC/parts is easy either

SUNKOS posted:

It's such a weird situation, I don't know what they're doing and yeah, even their "We believe in generations!" talk is in the trash now since they've delayed a bunch of games to make PS4 versions so who knows what's going on. I really want to play the new Ratchet & Clank but that's it so I can hold off and wait as well. Eager for new Halo multiplayer and Forza though, as well as whatever that isometric cyberpunky shooter game is since it looks fun as hell but I think it got delayed? Hoping there'll be an exciting surprise as well. Imagine if Quake got the Doom treatment :swoon:

I think both companies were really adamant that they launched in 2020 but also really, really struggled with supply because of literally everything going on and it's becoming clear that you are not gonna fully get back your investment on a PS5 only game

I think Xbox actually took the right bet blurring lines between gens the way they are; every single game I played on Series S was a game that had a One version, but I never had a One, never had gamepass, and for games like Prey would not have enjoyed the blurry, laggy 30fps version. I dunno if the bet made sense in a normal world but in Everything is Covid Delayed land going through old games was pretty great.

Even on the PS5 most of what I'm playing right now is "PS5 enhanced" but they've done a very messy job of it - some games have native PS5 versions for free, some need to be bought again on PS5, some patched the PS4 version to run better, some big landmark exclusives still run poorly on the PS5.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Totally unsubstantiated but you know if Bloodborne had been an Xbox One game we'd have a 60fps version by now.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

Fly Ricky posted:

Nice! I was just about to sign up for a month so I could watch the Avengers movies in 4K.

Does the Xbox app support Dolby Vision/Atmos like Netflix?
Yes, the Disney+ app can do Dolby Vision and Atmos.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

It just ran unlocked at launch, you could get higher than 30fps on a PS4 Pro with the disk, I have it here. You miss out on bug fixes though.

ohh I had no idea. I thought it was just on ps5

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Akuma posted:

Totally unsubstantiated but [...] Bloodborne [...] Xbox [...] have [...] 60fps version [...] now.

Got the message loud and clear

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

CheshireCat posted:

Yes, the Disney+ app can do Dolby Vision and Atmos.

It's usually better to use the streaming apps from your tv directly if you're using a tv.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I'm looking to upgrade my xbonex to a series x.
Does anyone have a link to that ATRStonks discord? (or is there a better way of getting a non price gouged one?)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Akuma posted:

Totally unsubstantiated but you know if Bloodborne had been an Xbox One game we'd have a 60fps version by now.

sonic unleashed doesnt get a much needed fps upgrade and those are about the same game so its not necessarily true

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Knockout City seems to have a decent size PC community, who over mentioned quake was right on, especially with the sure footed movement I've missed since MoHAA.

https://streamable.com/jg66k8

Just started doing some ranked after seeing how forgiving the loss penalty is. The discord makes it sound like folks are just running through new accounts after maxing rank.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Maybe I should try Knockout City again. I played the beta last month but it didn't really click for me then.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

urgh this makes me feel so old I can feel my bones crumbling

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

AFewBricksShy posted:

Does anyone have a link to that ATRStonks discord? (or is there a better way of getting a non price gouged one?)

I used NerdSpeak discord to get mine, not sure if it's the same thing since they rebranded recently - https://discord.gg/nXkfHNXb

I ended up getting a bundle since those stay online slightly longer than non-bundles but it was retail price for everything, not gouged.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Battlefield 2042 NOT on Game Pass day one, like many people were thinking/hoping.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

not on Stadia either, EA is finished

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Looks good though, and apparently Microsoft is featuring it at their conference on Sunday which seems kinda weird.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They always do that.
Ea shows a game on a platform stage and then says come to our ea event later to learn more

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1402644826080821262

😬

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

AFewBricksShy posted:

https://twitter.com/mattswider

Had walmart account and payment set up.
On the day he predicts restocks which IIRC are usually/was Thursdays @ 2pm EST. Basically tweets its live.
:f5:

Was my first attempt at getting one and was successful the first try.

Walmart was weird with the shipping date. It was like a week or two out, but I ended up getting it 2 days from Fedex.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

What if battlefield but this time you can blame the weather when you get sniped at spawn

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

On the topic of PS I wanna buy Guilty Gear Strive and don't know wtf to do because Sony's PS4/PS5 thing still doesn't make sense to me.

Basically any PS4 version of GGS you buy comes with the PS5 version as well for free in some form (I believe for GGS this also works if you buy the digital PS5 version as the baseline but this isn't true of all games).

If you buy the digital version I think the PS5 version is just added to your library (and only visible on the web or an actual PS5). For some games, especially older ones, it's not auto-added but it gets tagged as free on the store and you can just add it to your library that way.

For discs what happens is when you have the PS4 disc in the drive and you have the game/disc icon visible in the UI, if it can tell there's a native PS5 version free upgrade it prevents the disc from auto-installing. When you're on this icon along with the usual stuff like that game's trophies, you will have a box that says "free PS5 upgrade". You navigate to there and claim that for free. This gets added to your account as a special version where it's handled like a digital download (so you don't even need the disc in the drive to download the game once it's claimed) except it's flagged to require the PS4 disc in the drive. If you later buy the PS5 version digitally you don't have to redownload, this particular type of install auto-converts to a full digital version.

The main gotcha is that PS5 disc games (the ones with the white banner that say PS5) are UHD66 or UHD100 discs and will not work in a PS4 at all, so any game you get on disc for PS5 can for-sure not also be installed on PS4, with the exception of Hitman 3 because that comes with a full digital PS4 copy code.

I will conclude this confusing breakdown by stating that PS4 games which get a simple patch to run boosted on a PS5 (e.g. God of War and The Last of Us 2) do NOT do this whole rigamarole, they are just straight PS4 games and can be handled identically (run from external storage, saves copied to USB drives etc.)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

How in the gently caress does this console not have generic USB audio drivers. My PS4 could run any old poo poo with a dongle.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wait the new battlefield game is 2042? Well well well I won't be playing it until it ends up on gamepass but i will play it then

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I dont get the "interestingly it will cost more for newer consoles" bit.
adjusted for inflation, it's cost is less than what Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past was when it came out. ($86 adjusted cost)
I still get sticker shock when I see the cost of games, but "interesting" that you're going to pay more for the fancier graphics version? Instead of interestingly it should say predictably by now.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Where the hell is my proper 2142 sequel

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Where the hell is my proper 2142 sequel

Oh loving hell I thought thats what this was. Its just some near future war bullshit now I don't give a poo poo about slightly boxier trucks and slightly sleeker guns give me the goddamn scifi bullshit

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

otter posted:

adjusted for inflation, it's cost is less than what Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past was when it came out. ($86 adjusted cost)
I still get sticker shock when I see the cost of games, but "interesting" that you're going to pay more for the fancier graphics version? Instead of interestingly it should say predictably by now.
Shut the gently caress up bitch. Games are $60. No one gives a drat about inflation.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Clearly game prices need to be tied to the federal minimum wage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

otter posted:

gently caress YOU!