Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Pistol_Pete posted:

Here's some happier UK news:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/09/link-between-covid-cases-and-deaths-has-been-broken-says-senior-nhs-boss

This bears out what people were expecting/ hoping to see from the roll-out of the vaccination programme: with all older or medically vulnerable people now double-vaccinated, Covid hospitalisations and deaths among these groups have collapsed, with the remaining hospitalisations being overwhelmingly of younger people, who are much less likely to get sick enough to need ventilators.

This isn't as well considered as it sounds when you consider what age range people get pregnant in and look at what covid does to pregnant women and their fetuses. It basically makes them a vulnerable population and even minor poo poo like a sustained fever can give the child permanent brain damage and delayed development. I don't think it's okay letting young people be the guinea pigs for unrestrained spread and new variants when so much is still coming out about long covid, new symptoms, and so on. Not to mention what everyone has been saying about the likelihood of stronger and stronger variants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I'm vaxxed and I'm going to cancun and I'm gonna suck and gently caress at chichen itza. :unsmith: Everyone says it's probably fine but goons.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I'm glad everyone I know and love has their first shot and if the timeline holds we'll all get our 2nd by early July. Add a couple weeks for it to fully take effect and August is looking pretty good. By October anyone who wants to be fully vaccinated in my area will have had the opportunity to do so and if they choose not to then they can deal with the consequences. Time to get back to living by fall.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

My tiny kidney dog decided to have a pretty rough night last night (hugely elevated heart rate, hard breathing, still not willingly eating, etc) so that probably means we're not far off. Vet said 1-2 months anyhow. It's already been 2+ weeks.

So I threw myself into making a Disney trip and it's ridiculously irresponsible and stupid of me to go in November (which will obviously be cancelled if covid gets worse than it is right now), but if literally nobody else is even trying it's going to loving get me at Kroger the same as if it's going to get my stupid rear end at Disney, I guess.

My last time out among the general population I counted 9 masked people out of well over a thousand+ all day long. There is no reason to wear a mask in that environment because it's not really going to help you at that point. I'm still going to, but it's just hosed to pieces around here. I can't be responsible by myself, but I sure can hate them all for putting me in this situation where my only real available attempt to remain safe is basically negated.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Covid is defeated, whaddya going to do now?

I'm going to Disneyland.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The odds of you personally passing it on? Probably extremely small, not zero but still fairly close to zero.

The odds of tens of thousands of people in the same situation as you across the nation passing it on, if they all had the same attitude as you? Pretty high. This "At some point you'll just have to accept a level of risk" bullshit is the Tragedy Of The Commons where everyone comes up with personal excuses to perform actions which have very small chances of bad outcomes for themselves, but when you spread out those actions across the entire population it directly leads to large numbers of avoidable death and suffering.

people itt really play down the mental impact and health issues that come up from telling people to just stay home forever

Studies show many Americans gained more than 20 pounds during one year of COVID-19

everything has consequences, and a bunch of people gaining a bunch of weight is also bad. yeah it's not contagious but people will still have worse health outcomes because of it. an extra 20-30 pounds is also going to result in a bunch of health issues and deaths down the road so how do you balance that?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Inept posted:

people itt really play down the mental impact and health issues that come up from telling people to just stay home forever

Studies show many Americans gained more than 20 pounds during one year of COVID-19

everything has consequences, and a bunch of people gaining a bunch of weight is also bad. yeah it's not contagious but people will still have worse health outcomes because of it. an extra 20-30 pounds is also going to result in a bunch of health issues and deaths down the road so how do you balance that?

you can lose weight, you can't work out to improve your hosed up heart.

though I do think that it lends a lot to say that we Americans have awful eating habits, awful nutrition ideas, and awful exercise ethic. And a great deal of that comes from a variety of problems including some systemic privilege ones.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

you can lose weight, you can't work out to improve your hosed up heart.

yeah but be realistic. for a lot of people, that weight is staying forever. and if we're talking population level concerns, then that shouldn't be ignored

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Inept posted:

For the first point, absolutely no one was "playing down" the impact from social isolation, and no one was telling people they had to stay home forever. Strawman much?

For the second point, here in Melbourne we were stuck inside our houses for 23hrs every day for over 100 days during our longest strict lockdown, don't lecture me about "playing down the mental impact and health issues" you dumbass LOL.

No one said that continual social isolation was perfect and wonderful and lovely, there's 100% a bunch of issues about it that need to be widely addressed. But that doesn't mean that you get to use it as a cudgel to wriggle out of the wider pandemic responsibilities

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

For the second point, here in Melbourne we were stuck inside our houses for 23hrs every day for over 100 days during our longest strict lockdown, don't lecture me about "playing down the mental impact and health issues" you dumbass LOL.

I stayed inside 23 hours a day for 14 months. 3 months sounds pretty easy in comparison. thanks for the insult not angry person

Inept fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 9, 2021

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I wonder what actual percentage of the US workforce got to be WFH chosen ones while the rest of us still had to go out

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I stayed inside uphill and in a snowstorm

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Inept posted:

I stayed inside 23 hours a day for 14 months.

Was the state/police making you stay inside or was it a personal choice based on your individual situation?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Fallom posted:

I wonder what actual percentage of the US workforce got to be WFH chosen ones while the rest of us still had to go out

My office let us do it for March and April, then instantly were like "wellll, you actually should be going into the office." Upper management is still able to work from home, but us peons have been going back at least 4 days a week since July of 2020. Which is insane in hindsight.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Was the state/police making you stay inside or was it a personal choice based on your individual situation?

who cares, it would be the advice that you and others in this thread would still give right now for what people should do absent some cop telling me to go home

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Came to SA for the comedy, stayed for the doomscroller slap fights.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Inept posted:

yeah but be realistic. for a lot of people, that weight is staying forever. and if we're talking population level concerns, then that shouldn't be ignored

20 pounds really isn't a lot for most Americans.

Inept posted:

who cares, it would be the advice that you and others in this thread would still give right now for what people should do absent some cop telling me to go home

It's what my heart sings but nobody gives a gently caress anymore and they all want to go to (wait for it) Applebees.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Inept posted:

who cares, it would be the advice that you and others in this thread would still give right now

LOL okay so the person forcing you to stay locked up in your house for 14 months was ........... yourself! But you're super angry at goons in this thread for remaining cautious and now you're reading our minds and telling us what advice we'd give because you're psychic I guess

Kirk Vikernes posted:

Came to SA for the comedy, stayed for the doomscroller slap fights.

We aim to please ;)

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

20 pounds really isn't a lot for most Americans.

Yes it is lol

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
shut the gently caress up

e: sorry not you ^^^^

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Like even if you’re 400 pounds which is basically crippling already, it’s a five percent gain. For most people it’s closer to 10 percent. It’s absolutely a lot.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The only thing that will snap me out of being mad on the computer and being holier than thou is a children’s theme park, personally.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Yeah the average for people who gained was 29. That's over 13 kilos.

quote:

According to the APA survey, conducted in February, six in 10 adults experienced undesired weight changes during the pandemic. For 42% of respondents, that meant additional pounds — an average of 29.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Bape Culture posted:

The only thing that will snap me out of being mad on the computer and being holier than thou is a children’s theme park, personally.

Disney is for dog mourning, not 'covid is over' partying.

Keep the FB deep lore straight, jeez.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Disney is for dog mourning, not 'covid is over' partying.

Keep the FB deep lore straight, jeez.

The deepest deep lore is I'm actually secretly an anti-masker that's had covid 14 times and I own a resort in palm beach and-

E: imagine me actually being holier than thou though instead of horrified about covid 24/7.

Inept posted:

Yeah the average for people who gained was 29. That's over 13 kilos.

Okay 30, yeah, sure. Worry about 30.

Did nobody at all buy a treadmill? I bought a treadmill :smith: The little peddle bikes that go under your desk are only like $25. Now I'm sad for people. Frick.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I think most people just picked up an alcohol addiction if the liquor stores around here the past year have been any indication

Oh and got a dog, I've lived here for 6 years and all the sudden everyone in the neighborhood was walking a dog starting last May

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Gee I wonder what might have happened in the past year that might impact someone's ability or desire to buy a goddamned treadmill

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I got covid and lost 30lbs so the solution is obvious

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Its clear that there is a certain population of goons who are clawing at any possible excuse to never have to leave their mom's basement ever again.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
we should be careful = agoraphobic

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
everything is more expensive and poo poo and everyone has got 3 bulletproof excuses for it that they never have to actually explain. yes mate its brexit/covid/the boat stuck in the suez

I'm fat because a boat was stuck in the suez for a week so I couldn't buy a treadmill

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

everything is more expensive and poo poo and everyone has got 3 bulletproof excuses for it that they never have to actually explain. yes mate its brexit/covid/the boat stuck in the suez

I'm fat because a boat was stuck in the suez for a week so I couldn't buy a treadmill

+ Chip shortage/Colonial Pipeline hack

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Okay 30, yeah, sure. Worry about 30.

Did nobody at all buy a treadmill? I bought a treadmill :smith: The little peddle bikes that go under your desk are only like $25. Now I'm sad for people. Frick.

I bought an adjustable weight kettlebell the week covid started here (they sold out the next week lol) and actually got way more toned than any of the gym stuff I had been doing. Never going back to the gym.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Fallom posted:

I remember a thought experiment idea whether housing and transit in cities would be half as hosed if commute times had to be paid by the employer rather than being an off-the-books time burden on the employee. Seemed interesting but unrealistic.

If like half the employees at my site keep WFH while I’m still spending 2 hrs a day in traffic and $60 in gas every week, I’m not sure it seems so silly anymore.

Though most likely it’ll just end up as a statistic on one of those “why it costs more to be poor” lists in a couple years.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The extra food I've been cramming into my mouth is what got me.

Stupid delicious food! :argh:

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Yeah sorry I know better than to ever say I'm going to leave anything on SA, my bad.
That's me I gained 25 lbs and I'm loving laughing because I'm sure the gently caress not going to Disneyland LOL

And I stayed inside at least 23 hours a day for 14 months too, like I saw that post and I'm like holy crap that's true that's right. Everyday I walk outside I am so grateful. I'm still almost never going inside anywhere

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

In other news, K-Mart still exists.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
I literally rented a space and built my own gym for myself.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Helios Grime posted:

I literally rented a space and built my own gym for myself.

:shobon: if this is serious I wanna see what you did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Intermittent fasting > gym.