Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
remember that season of Homeland where the nightmare scenario that comes to pass is the Pakistani taliban uses a secret entrance to sneak into the CIA field office and starts blasting agents with AK fire then they acquire a list of all the undercover CIA agents in the region and bring them to justice

pretty cool. and before you even try it, you are not allowed to make fun of me for watching several seasons of homeland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

paul_soccer12 posted:

remember that season of Homeland where the nightmare scenario that comes to pass is the Pakistani taliban uses a secret entrance to sneak into the CIA field office and starts blasting agents with AK fire then they acquire a list of all the undercover CIA agents in the region and bring them to justice

pretty cool. and before you even try it, you are not allowed to make fun of me for watching several seasons of homeland

lmao you kept watching homeland

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I will watch almost anything with Claire Danes ever since Romeo + Juliet

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Agrajag posted:

lmao you kept watching homeland

i remember season 1 i was screaming at my TV for brodie to detonate the vest

all downhill from there

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

In Beirut the CIA used the codeword "PIZZA" to refer to their meeting point which was the local pizza hut. Hezbollah managed to figure this out and dismantle the cell.

The pop culture version of the CIA is all master assassins, James Bond level spies and futuristic technology. In real life they actually suck poo poo at all that spy stuff. But they're scary and efficient when it comes to getting resources to the worst people on earth. Juan von Ribbentrop needs a machete sharpening machine for his nun-killer commandos? The honorary SS hungarian jewsmasher brigade needs a crate of small arms to help integrate the hungarian roma population? The CIA will be there instantly.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Grapplejack posted:

And people say the CIA is an unstoppable force

I agree but also how long was it before Chinese intelligence was able to detect this thing they were doing out in the open. seems like a worldwide problem that state intelligence isn't getting the best and brightest

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

paul_soccer12 posted:

i remember season 1 i was screaming at my TV for brodie to detonate the vest

all downhill from there

literal actual same. i watched the first ep of season 2 and peaced out

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

indigi posted:

I agree but also how long was it before Chinese intelligence was able to detect this thing they were doing out in the open. seems like a worldwide problem that state intelligence isn't getting the best and brightest

Do you remember like 4-5 years ago where China busted a spy ring because they were having their sources go to cia.gov to file reports

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Thats what paul soccer was talking about, in the post you quoted

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/TRTWorldNow/status/1402030301103153152?s=20

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

In Beirut the CIA used the codeword "PIZZA" to refer to their meeting point which was the local pizza hut. Hezbollah managed to figure this out and dismantle the cell.

lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

single eye emoji

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

:thunk:

what ARE our values?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

that sounds promising already!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Hedenius posted:

It's an old article from some site I've never heard of but still.

It happened because CIA used buggy software that they thought "He this poo poo worked in Afghanistan, surely this will work just as well in China."

Dumb loving shits had it coming.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Cao Ni Ma posted:

:thunk:

what ARE our values?

:hitler:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Jens is just frustrated that there aren't enough fascists in Asia to kickstart SEATO again

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
kim jong un looking trim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=henv6cAyHVw

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/SCMPNews/status/1402151617701556224?s=19

China has announced it will upgrade its diplomatic relations with ASEAN to a "comprehensive strategic partnership”. Which is its highest diplomatic recognition for regional groups and puts ASEAN on par with the European Union. ASEAN foreign ministers met in Chongqing, China Monday to celebrate thirty years of ties.

Putin signs law taking Russia out of Open Skies arms control treaty

As it announced in January. Russia has formally withdrawn from the Open Skies Treaty as of June 7.

Eurasian Economic Commission: Free Trade Talks With Iran to Start Soon

"Soon" as in end of June most likely. An interim free trade agreement has been in place since 2018.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 29 days!)

Lostconfused posted:

It happened because CIA used buggy software that they thought "He this poo poo worked in Afghanistan, surely this will work just as well in China."

Dumb loving shits had it coming.

Remember when the CIA got its entire informant network in China wiped out because they made them all go to a .gov website, and Chinese counter-intelligence just had to guess the password?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

yes we all remember that incident

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I like the one where they were gonna meet at a Pizza Hut and the codename was just PIZZA

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

or that one in, Libya I think? maybe Liberia? where they were meeting at a pizza hut with the codeword being PIZZA

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
But is Pizza also pronounce "Pizza" in Arabic? Makes you think.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
did this thread ever get better, I recall it being a lite version of the gbs thread

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

no way to know

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
we don't have people fantasizing about murdering Chinese people so i don't really think it's at the same quality level as GBS

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

its currently Alexander the Great nostalgia, and hating bezos for loving china

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

did this thread ever get better, I recall it being a lite version of the gbs thread

This is the Ian Goodrum Appreciation Station

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Lol which GBS/D&D freak did you piss off?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

dunno probably some white male expat who “teaches English” in Thailand

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Raskolnikov38 posted:

dunno probably some white male expat who “teaches English” in Thailand

he asked you who you pissed off, he didnt ask you to sign your post

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

I teach history in America

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/mikepompeo/status/1402254738347941889?s=20

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-57409218 posted:

China students hold principal hostage in rare protest

Students held a school principal (seated, in white) hostage for more than 30 hours

Protesting students held a school principal hostage over fears their degrees would be devalued, Chinese police said on Tuesday.

The protests were over a plan to merge a Nanjing college in Jiangsu province with a vocational institute - which are seen as less prestigious.

Some of the students were reportedly injured as police allegedly used batons and pepper spray on them.

Such protests are rare in China where mass movements are controlled.

Danyang city police said in a statement on Tuesday that undergraduates at Nanjing Normal University's Zhongbei College in Jiangsu province had "gathered" from Sunday and detained the 55-year-old principal on campus for more than 30 hours.

Students "shouted verbal abuse and blocked law enforcement", and refused to let him leave even after authorities announced a suspension of the merger plans, the statement added.

Social media users posted photos of police using batons and pepper spray on students, and one female undergrad bleeding from the head, the AFP news agency said.

The police statement said "to uphold campus order... public security organs took necessary measures in accordance with the law to remove the trapped person, and (the injured) were immediately sent to hospital for treatment.

The hashtag "Nanjing Normal University Zhongbei College students injured by violent law enforcement" was reportedly blocked on microblogging platform Weibo by Tuesday afternoon.

But a video on Twitter showed thousands of chanting undergraduates surrounded by officers outside, as police chased after them and dragged individuals out of the crowd.

NANJING NORMAL UNIVERSITY ZHONGBEI
Students protested over a plan to merge the Nanjing Normal University's Zhongbei College with a vocational institute
All six colleges in Jiangsu province have since said that they would suspend any merger plans which were originally announced in March.

The Jiangsu Education Department had said the decision was to comply with a Ministry of Education directive to transform independent colleges into vocational schools.

The decision has led to protests in four other independent colleges in the province in recent days over similar fears, with "some events of physical confrontation" according to the Global Times newspaper.

Independent colleges are co-funded by universities and social organisations or individuals. Students who do not get the required exam scores to enter university can apply to these institutions, where they can still graduate with a university degree - but at higher tuition costs.

These degrees are seen as more prestigious than vocational degrees, and graduates believe they offer them better opportunities in the country's fiercely competitive job market.

China is expected to have a record nine million university graduates this year.

:crossarms:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

normalize taking your principal hostage

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

reminds me of that steel plant in china that took hostage and then murdered the new ceo over a proposed privatization

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I teach history in America

Let me guess, you still sleep with the locals. Sicko

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That happened in the college I went to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map%C3%BAa_University#Malayan_controversy

We protested but... it didn't work out

I guess we should've taken the principal hostage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

isn’t it a private college protest (by students who didn’t make it in the exams) against having to go to school with *shudder* vocational students because it might diminish their career prospects?