Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

:captainpop:
edit: ugh.. what a snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

ukonvasara posted:

this mf said "organ doner"

At first I thought that was part of the joke somehow. But then I remembered Working Daze doesn't actually have jokes.

Selachian posted:

Note this story is inspired by the case of Danny Almonte, a star Little League player who made national news when he was revealed to be 14 even though Little League is for under-12s.

Kevin and Kell uses it a bit incomprehensibly though. Sports leagues tend not to have minimum age levels as there's generally no unfair advantage to be had from using an underaged player. Although I'm really more lost at what possible proof they could have that Rudy's fourteen that can only be accessed via computer. It seems like "evidence" in this context would basically just have to be his birth certificate.

CommonShore posted:

E. maybe a better analogy is that Calvin's dad is your friend who still has a flip phone?

Flip phones rule. The screens are much harder to crack.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Julet Esqu posted:

I think whoever theorized that Art Beeman quickly got bored of the premise of his strip and just started looking for excuses to draw bikini ladies was onto something.

What you do, Gunther, is you send her one last text saying, "Hey, I respect that you want space and I'll give it to you, but I can't hang in limbo forever. If you don't text me back and tell me something, even if it's just that you need more time, then I will assume that you have broken up with me and proceed with my life accordingly."

Which means what will probably happen is he'll go over to her place and see her with another man and that'll be the last time we ever see her again.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Doomykins posted:

I'm beginning to think Rane is not doing bad things, his Russian pal is another "judging books by their cover" joke and he's just one of the only people in town with any business sense and ambition.

Or it's that other Mammila classic of layered fake outs until the hammer falls hard and it is all dodgy. It's a good story for me when I can't predict the plot. But piece of poo poo aspects aside, Rane is a pretty flawed product of his father and probably being dumped on his whole life. It's interesting to see him claw his way out of it.

Maybe it's just me, but we've seen so much of Rauno being a massive piece of poo poo as he grew up that I just can't find anything interesting about him trying to claw his way out of Mammila.

catlord posted:

Axa is particularly rough today, Jesus. At least we're nearly at the end.

Aside from Robot Mark, this story has been pretty poo poo. Axa's big speech at the end to the Romani being, "If we're ever going to civilize our world again..." is a big yikes though.

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell in: age problems (October 22-28, 2001)

Kell faking Rudy's documents because she thought he looked too small for his age becomes unintentionally funny when you remember that Rudy's design hasn't changed a single bit throughout the decades. He never even got a growth spurt so he's still around Kell's waist-level even now. Hell, most of Rudy's friends are still as tall as middle schoolers despite supposedly being in their early 20s by this point.

Some Guy TT posted:

Kevin and Kell uses it a bit incomprehensibly though. Sports leagues tend not to have minimum age levels as there's generally no unfair advantage to be had from using an underaged player. Although I'm really more lost at what possible proof they could have that Rudy's fourteen that can only be accessed via computer. It seems like "evidence" in this context would basically just have to be his birth certificate.

The rival team probably got access to Rudy's preschool records which they used as proof that he's actually 12. I agree that the evidence Rudy presented to the turtle was probably just his birth certificate, but instead of just giving the turtle a physical copy and being done with it, Holbrook just had to add a bit about old people being bad with technology.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

It begs the question: what did they show the tortoise to prove Rudy was 12, if it wasn't on a computer?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

duz posted:

Which means what will probably happen is he'll go over to her place and see her with another man and that'll be the last time we ever see her again.

I'm hoping for she hits Gunther with her car.

There is precedent.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CommonShore posted:

In 1989 things like computers or game consoles were not in everyone's house. I had maybe 2 or 3 friends who had a Nintendo or other console, and while my family had a computer, none of the other kids at my school did at that time - at least not one that we could game on.

Even into the mid 90s, it wasn't uncommon for there to be the friend (singular) who had the nintendo.

And they were always an rear end in a top hat, somehow.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Selachian posted:

Note this story is inspired by the case of Danny Almonte, a star Little League player who made national news when he was revealed to be 14 even though Little League is for under-12s.

Oh, neat. I had no idea.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Author Unknown? Featuring another Des Fishman "cameo"

John Allison's Patreon
John Allison's Gumroad Site
Steeple Website
My Author Unknown? Guide Password is TheOther

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

amigolupus posted:

Maybe it's just me, but we've seen so much of Rauno being a massive piece of poo poo as he grew up that I just can't find anything interesting about him trying to claw his way out of Mammila.

He's an interesting piece of poo poo! I just got a nugget of sympathy from his dad's breakdown, the no joke "You'd be better off dead" is a pretty sharp look into the sum of how awful a father he really had. Granted I won't feel too much sympathy if Rane's chickens come home to roost now.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Ha! I totally pulled this move in the 8th grade, but with a feminist text when we were doing a unit on female suffrage.

Re: Working Daze, I would absolutely eat an organ meat doner kebab.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

EasyEW posted:

Not even in the pulldown menu anymore. Did they finally go through with the murder-suicide pact? :ohdear:
It is. It's listed under "T" for "The Lockhorns" because people are dumb.

It hasn't updated today though.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

"It was fake anyways. I couldn't hock it for more than $20. Theoretically."

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

"It was fake anyways. I couldn't hock it for more than $20. Theoretically."

So where do we think this is going? Will she be shamed into going straight or will next week be about the young doctor fretting over his missing wallet?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

CommonShore posted:

In 1989 things like computers or game consoles were not in everyone's house. I had maybe 2 or 3 friends who had a Nintendo or other console, and while my family had a computer, none of the other kids at my school did at that time - at least not one that we could game on.

It's hard to overstate just how pervasive Nintendo was for kids by the end of the 1980s. The oft-mentioned (and possibly wrong) statistic was that one third of American households owned an NES. If kids didn't have one, they still played and talked about them. And that's to say nothing of arcades.

Of course, Watterson wanted Calvin & Hobbes to have a semi-timeless luddite quality, but there's another reason Calvin's not up on video games or computers or pro wrestling or other 1980s childhood staples: he doesn't have any friends. We never even see him talking to his classmates beyond his attempts to annoy Susie.

I never realized how depressing this comic was.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Kid Fenris posted:

I remember being curious about why Calvin specifically mentions COLOR cable TV. As a kid I didn't know anyone who was stuck with black and white television.

Then again, I always wondered why Calvin apparently lived in a modern world without video games or home computers.

Calvin's family has a computer in later strips. Don't known the date range, but one of the Spaceman Skiff fantasy sequences ends with Calvin running away from the PC with a "it just crashed on me" as he evades Dad, and a late strip has Calvin demanding to know why they don't have an online service.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (October 2, 1993)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

We get it, Raune is a piece of poo poo, can you just kill him or move the focus to characters we can like?

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Classic Zits

A notably un-foobish conclusion to the car arc! Also with a great joke. Can’t really imagine that being published today tbh.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Alright now I'm waiting for that comeuppance already.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Raune is pond-scum.

In today's Blueberry: I OBJECT!, or Good news for Crowe!, or Quanah schemes...

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That Ishtar joke completely flew over my head when I was a kid

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominwinter

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

howe_sam posted:

Well, why don't you share the joke with the rest of the class?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

SubNat posted:

Moominwinter

Hang this lady and bring back Mr. Brisk he was more tolerable

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynt7F6T_Y8c

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Aztec posted:

Notoriously bad film.

HOWEVER:

wikipedia, obviously posted:

In one of Gary Larson's The Far Side comic strips, captioned "Hell's Video Store", the entire store is stocked with nothing but copies of Ishtar. Larson later apologized, saying, "When I drew the above cartoon, I had not actually seen Ishtar ... Years later, I saw it on an airplane, and was stunned at what was happening to me: I was actually being entertained. Sure, maybe it's not the greatest film ever made, but my cartoon was way off the mark. There are so many cartoons for which I should probably write an apology, but this is the only one which compels me to do so."[46]

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Mukku's a cool dude. I hope good things happen to him.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Professor Wayne posted:

The Far Side

[Ishtar cartoon]

I've seen Ishtar. It's not a great movie but it's hardly the worst I've ever seen. Caligula qualifies as the one movie in hell's video store.

Fun fact: I think Larson eventually apologized for this strip because he thought it was in poor taste.

e: Quoted the wrong cartoon.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

howe_sam posted:

As a kid I assumed that the joke was that Ishtar, being a movie set in the desert, is the last thing you'd want to see in a really hot environment.

And yeah, Ishtar isn't that bad of a movie. It's a shame that the media savaging of it sank Elaine May's directing career.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Classic Zits

A notably un-foobish conclusion to the car arc! Also with a great joke. Can’t really imagine that being published today tbh.

funny thing is, "unchill" works these days

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

EBB posted:

Hang this lady and bring back Mr. Brisk he was more tolerable

Honestly, from what I saw of this story as I scanned it in, I absolutely wouldn't begrudge the Moominfamily if they had little a murder, as a treat.
The amount of secondhand frustration is palpable.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Johnny Aztec posted:

In the late 80's, Ishtar was the go-to punchline for "Biggest/Worst Hollywood Bomb" (or at the very least, neck-and-neck with Heaven's Gate.) A big, bombastic action comedy written and directed by Elaine May, who was primarily known as a more low-key comedy writer, and starring Warren Beatty and Dustin Hoffman with both actors cast against type.

The thing is, not that many people had actually seen the movie, they just knew it was a financial flop ($14m gross against a then-outrageous $51m budget - that would be like a $125m movie pulling in $30m today) and that it drew pretty middling reviews. Much of its reputation stems from the fact that there was a lot of negative industry gossip before its release, all about its incredibly troubled production and interpersonal feuding between May and Beatty behind the scenes - bad publicity that was speculated to have been leaked to the press by the execs at Columbia Pictures, hoping to absolve themselves/the studio from involvement.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 9, 2021

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Hostile V posted:

Mukku's a cool dude. I hope good things happen to him.

The circumstances aren't the best but I really liked that his wife came back :unsmith:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man remember the halcyon days when we thought Ishtar was the worst movie ever made?

e: It came out one year before MST3k premiered and forever changed everyone's views on bad movies.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

If you can tolerate their schtick (and that can be iffy for me) Blank Check did an Ishtar episode back in April.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Johnny Aztec posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CtUd0yuYN4&t=674s