Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Jippa posted:

Any recommendations for a 4g router to be paired with an external antenna?

I have one of these hooked up to a pair of directional antennas for internet at our family river house for internet and it works well enough. I'm not using it for wifi anymore, but when we did it worked well enough.

https://www.amazon.com/Huawei-Router-B310-518-Unlocked-Caribbean/dp/B076BXKFT2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
My Linksys router suddenly wants me to log in with a Linksys account, which I don't have, instead of the usual password.

Is this some kind of thing they've started doing? Maybe I should make a higher priority of getting OpenWRT going.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Finally was able to order a Ubiquiti U6-LR-US !!!

Guess now the trick is wait for it to ship.. might still be on a barge crossing the Suez I think.

The part that makes me shudder is that when I saw the Order Now button, I just went to Checkout to pay for it.

Then I realized that I'd probably need an injector as I'm pretty sure even if I brought my EdgeRouter X back online the supplied adapter probably wouldn't provide the power the U6 wants..

When I went back to the product page to see what injector they recommend, it already said it was sold out..

And I wound up having to look in their community forum to find the proper injector because for some stupid reason the product page only said any 802.3at adapter..

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Rodents ate my coax and the building won't fix it due to a zoning/code quagmire. There is an xfinitywifi signal next door that has been working great for months (they partition some reserved bandwidth as a free hotspot for others with a subscription).

What is the easiest way to hook up a Raspberry Pi so that I can log in to the wifi (it looks at mac address and tracks a login token, so it needs to be a device with a web browser), and then plug that Pi into my router ethernet to share it out to my devices with no browser, like my wifi security camera? Preferable something that won't have me futzing with linux for 10 hours?

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

Finally was able to order a Ubiquiti U6-LR-US !!!

Guess now the trick is wait for it to ship.. might still be on a barge crossing the Suez I think.

The part that makes me shudder is that when I saw the Order Now button, I just went to Checkout to pay for it.

Then I realized that I'd probably need an injector as I'm pretty sure even if I brought my EdgeRouter X back online the supplied adapter probably wouldn't provide the power the U6 wants..

When I went back to the product page to see what injector they recommend, it already said it was sold out..

And I wound up having to look in their community forum to find the proper injector because for some stupid reason the product page only said any 802.3at adapter..

I mean, it’s compliant with the 802.3at standard. Search Amazon and buy the cheapest one with good reviews.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Decided to go with Ubiquiti's own POE injector for $16, none of the ones on Amazon that I scanned mentioned anything about ground protection, and I live in an area that's killed two cable modems (provider supplied, dead due to lightning) in the space of a year.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

How often does Ubiquiti's stuff go back in stock? Was considering an edgerouter ER-X and a long range AP but both are OOS. Fine waiting on that but just wondering if that was like a "we have no clue when, might be several months" wait or just a "come back in 2 weeks" kind of wait. Anyone know?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

That Works posted:

How often does Ubiquiti's stuff go back in stock? Was considering an edgerouter ER-X and a long range AP but both are OOS. Fine waiting on that but just wondering if that was like a "we have no clue when, might be several months" wait or just a "come back in 2 weeks" kind of wait. Anyone know?

Get on the email notification thing and pounce when they're in stock. Couple weeks or so in my past experience

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sniep posted:

Get on the email notification thing and pounce when they're in stock. Couple weeks or so in my past experience

I did just sign up on the email notification very recently, thanks good to know!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Sniep posted:

This is what I did and the first time, I saw the email but didn't read it until the end of the day. Went to the website, it was sold the gently caress out already.

Got the email again today and luckily the last time I went I signed up for an SSO account with Ubiquiti, and literally clicked on the ORDER NOW button and completed my payment as fast as I could and now Ubiquiti says one is on its way via free 2-day shipping on orders over $100.

Edit: I think I ordered it within 3 minutes of receiving the email and the U6-LR was already sold out 15 minutes after I got the mail. Maybe it was a trickle shipment..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 8, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Where can I get some reasonably priced cat6e(+) that's rated outdoor?

It needs to run inside, then outside the house for like 10 ft along the siding, then back inside. I highly doubt I need more than 50ft. Would prefer something that doesn't have heads cause it'll be easier to run, although I guess I could just re-terminate.

I'm also considering a Go Coax, but I'm worried about performance loss. Maybe I'm being stupid.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 8, 2021

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
What non-Ubiquiti switches are people using for multi-gig (1/2.5/5/10G) PoE copper ports? There don't seem to be a lot of them out there, but I'm gonna need a new switch soon for when my ISP starts offering multigig symmetric rates, and I figure I might as well get one that'll also be able to power some WiFi 6E APs whenever I get them.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Kreeblah posted:

What non-Ubiquiti switches are people using for multi-gig (1/2.5/5/10G) PoE copper ports? There don't seem to be a lot of them out there, but I'm gonna need a new switch soon for when my ISP starts offering multigig symmetric rates, and I figure I might as well get one that'll also be able to power some WiFi 6E APs whenever I get them.

The TL-SG3210XHP-M2 is finally available on Amazon but I’m a little hesitant on recommending it for WiFi 6E APs as it’s only PoE+ and until proven otherwise I don’t see a triband AP with multi gig not requiring PoE++ unless it cuts some corners somewhere.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Cyks posted:

The TL-SG3210XHP-M2 is finally available on Amazon but I’m a little hesitant on recommending it for WiFi 6E APs as it’s only PoE+ and until proven otherwise I don’t see a triband AP with multi gig not requiring PoE++ unless it cuts some corners somewhere.

I also don't see POE++ as a requirement for any WAP because that seems like a ton of power just for the access point. Thats the switch Ive had my eye on too, for what it is worth.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Kind of a weird situation here. I use wireguard hosted on a Raspberry Pi 3 to get on my network and access computers, services and files.

Occasionally in the last month, it hasn't worked. I get a connected message on the wireguard client on my phone or laptop, but I can't SSH or VNC into any computer on the network or access any of the services running. DNS (which is a pihole running on the same device as WG) also stops working on the connected device.

However, if I have Parsec running on my desktop, I can sign into that as long as I'm not connected through the VPN. Then I can reboot my router through the desktop web browser and everything works perfectly. I can also access all the stuff I'm not able to on Wireguard. So, I have a few questions:

Why does the wireguard connection fail but the parsec connection works fine?
What could be causing this weird intermittent issue? My router is kind of old, think I bought it in 2017, would that be related? It seems like a Wireguard problem primarily, though.

Nobody? Guess I’ll grab a router and see!

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

KKKLIP ART posted:

I also don't see POE++ as a requirement for any WAP because that seems like a ton of power just for the access point. Thats the switch Ive had my eye on too, for what it is worth.

There’s a few APs out now that allow for 802.3at or bt but will restrict a few features if running only on at (such as a Cisco AP that reduces the interface speed to 1gig) but I’m probably being overly precautious.

The only 6E AP I can find information on right now is a 630 series announced by Aruba that’s multi gig, 2x2 su-mimo and triband and they say the only feature restricted by not using PoE++ is the USB port, but the device isn’t currently available and hasn’t been approved by the FCC yet.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Aruba at least has published that the most power their 6E AP line will use is right at 30 watts, but that's with a USB device plugged into it. If you don't do that, it'll use about 24 watts. https://www.arubanetworks.com/products/wireless/access-points/indoor-access-points/630-series/

I imagine others will try to keep below that threshold as well, if for no other reason than more power means more heat, and they don't want to have to deal with active cooling for an AP.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Kreeblah posted:

If you have a space where fan noise isn't an issue, ws-c3850-12x48u switches remain weirdly cheap on ebay. Like other comparable models are $4k+ and this is hovering around $1200 for a 48 port UPOE switch with 12 mgig ports and a line card for more 10gig ports. Mine has worked out really well.

Fair warning though, mgig will give you exactly zero benefit in a home environment. An AP will never exceed 1gbit unless you have multiple high perf clients.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Where can I get some reasonably priced cat6e(+) that's rated outdoor?

It needs to run inside, then outside the house for like 10 ft along the siding, then back inside. I highly doubt I need more than 50ft. Would prefer something that doesn't have heads cause it'll be easier to run, although I guess I could just re-terminate.

I'm also considering a Go Coax, but I'm worried about performance loss. Maybe I'm being stupid.

You're probably not going to be able to buy 50 ft without precrimped ends, usually the consumer boxes are 500 or 1000 feet. I'd just find an outdoor rated patch cord that's the length you need and cut one end off and re-crimp it yourself. Usually I'd suggest monoprice but their outdoor patch cables are out of stock in lengths 50ft or above so I'd just pick one up on Amazon:
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=cat+6e+outdoor

Note that cat6a, 7, and 8 are shielded so they have a foil liner inside the outer jacket and some have shielding on each pair as well. You might be able to get away with crimping a non shielded plug onto one end but it may not run at the 10 gigabit it's rated for, but there are shielded connectors available as well:
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=shielded+cat6+connector

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Kreeblah posted:

Those tend to get quite hot and they’re noisy. They’re typically rack mount and expected to be hidden away.

I have a portion of my network wired up on 10G but I’m using SFP+ cages in a MicroTik CRS305-1G-4S+IN (https://mikrotik.com/product/crs305_1g_4s_in). It handles all of that well.

Technically, you could put 10G Ethernet modules into it but you’re generally not supposed to put those side by side in a unit that’s passively cooled. You might burn them out.

TL;DR - if you’re serious about multi-gig, look at SFP+ with multi or single mode modules.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Cyks posted:

Hmmm. How loud is it? Where I am now, all my networking gear's in the living room because of space/cooling issues. There's nowhere else that's great to put it here.
I live in a condo with a detached garage, and the assholes who designed this place put the fiber drop in the loving master bedroom closet (I also had to run power to it since there isn't an outlet in there, or anywhere within ten feet of it).

KS posted:

If you have a space where fan noise isn't an issue, ws-c3850-12x48u switches remain weirdly cheap on ebay. Like other comparable models are $4k+ and this is hovering around $1200 for a 48 port UPOE switch with 12 mgig ports and a line card for more 10gig ports. Mine has worked out really well.

Fair warning though, mgig will give you exactly zero benefit in a home environment. An AP will never exceed 1gbit unless you have multiple high perf clients.

Yeah, noise is, unfortunately, a concern. I would actually probably benefit from faster wifi, though, since it's not uncommon for me to be transferring large files to/from work on my work laptop and using my personal laptop for something reasonably bandwidth intensive while I wait for it to finish. I don't plan on swapping out my APs any time soon, though, since I'm happy with my Ruckus R710s, and good WiFi 6E APs are probably gonna be expensive for a while. I'm mostly hoping to avoid having to swap out my hardware more than necessary.

rufius posted:

Those tend to get quite hot and they’re noisy. They’re typically rack mount and expected to be hidden away.

I have a portion of my network wired up on 10G but I’m using SFP+ cages in a MicroTik CRS305-1G-4S+IN (https://mikrotik.com/product/crs305_1g_4s_in). It handles all of that well.

Technically, you could put 10G Ethernet modules into it but you’re generally not supposed to put those side by side in a unit that’s passively cooled. You might burn them out.

TL;DR - if you’re serious about multi-gig, look at SFP+ with multi or single mode modules.

My backup plan if I couldn't find something workable was basically that. I've had my eye on some MikroTik stuff for a bit, and an SFP+ switch plus the current version of the S+RJ10 seems like it would cover the data rate part, and I could do PoE injectors for power. It wouldn't be as nice as a switch that can cover all of that, but if I have to go that route, it looks like it'll work just fine.

I will, however, need at least one copper port in the short term for my ISP, though. The network VP recently did an AMA on Reddit, and he mentioned that they're going to do multi-gig copper links from the new ONTs for their higher speed stuff.

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 8, 2021

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Inept posted:

Unless your coax is extremely old and hosed up, you will see 500+mbps with a newer MoCA adapter. I have a couple of Actionteks that work fine, but they seem to be expensive right now. I've heard good things about GoCoax, but I haven't used them myself: https://www.amazon.com/goCoax-Adapter-2-5Gbps-Ethernet-WF-803M/dp/B07XYDG7WN

If they suck for you you can always return them to Amazon

this thing is out for delivery at the moment. We shall see what it does for stability.
Last night I left my ethernet cable draped across the floor from one end of the house to the other, and when I got up, I found my computer would not connect to any websites. I tried to drop the connection of the ethernet port, tried to switch ports, but came up with self-assigned IPs both times. Rebooting the PoSGDMFE* resolved this instantly however, I think it's bullshit that I have to do that for something that I had to pay actual money for. I think I need to just replace the damned thing and start over. My brother has an Orbi thing and his advice was "avoid Orbi" but he was vague about why.

* Piece of poo poo God Damned Mother loving Eero; it's new proper name.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

otter posted:

this thing is out for delivery at the moment. We shall see what it does for stability.

I probably should have mentioned it, but you need at least a pair of them. Hopefully you ordered 2.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

otter posted:

Last night I left my ethernet cable draped across the floor from one end of the house to the other, and when I got up, I found my computer would not connect to any websites. I tried to drop the connection of the ethernet port, tried to switch ports, but came up with self-assigned IPs both times. Rebooting the PoSGDMFE* resolved this instantly however, I think it's bullshit that I have to do that for something that I had to pay actual money for. I think I need to just replace the damned thing and start over. My brother has an Orbi thing and his advice was "avoid Orbi" but he was vague about why.

* Piece of poo poo God Damned Mother loving Eero; it's new proper name.

I had an Orbi and it would randomly stop working and would require a reboot. Was awesome as you'd be connected but couldn't go anywhere. I replaced it with an Eero which worked well but I would advise against paying for their "security" it made random things not work correctly. For example the PS4 would download no faster than 2Mbps even when physically connected. We had to actually make a "guest" network to resolve that if I wanted to use the security features. I still used it until I moved to my new house but never thought they were worth the extra cost. I'm not sure there is a better option out there except doing a separate router and APs like we have now.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Inept posted:

I probably should have mentioned it, but you need at least a pair of them. Hopefully you ordered 2.

yeah, no. I ordered one.

One of the key issues that I was facing is that my TiVos already use MoCA networking. So the question was: could these co-exist with the MoCA network the TiVos were using. The answer to that is a resounding no. It also seems per the instructions to want to set up a separate network for the MoCA that it runs which will in turn probably double-NAT the xbox making it's connection just about as lovely as the one wifi over the PoSGDMFE.

I'm really struggling to keep my cool at this point because nothing works. Just nothing at all works. The ethernet works fine until the PoSGDMFE decides to stop supplying it with an IP randomly while simultaneously leaving the wifi for the house at a dead crawl. (reboot required). I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. It really seems like hardwiring this motherfucker is the only way to get the job done and even then I need a new router that won't need to be restarted whenever it feels like it should just stop working. gently caress you, Eero. gently caress you, Orbi (apparently). And while we are at it, gently caress you, Apple for not just making an overpriced mesh wifi setup that would just work.

My takeaway is that Wifi should exist as a node on the network but should not ever be at the nucleus. It should only be a peripheral. God drat it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
TiVo moca can/should coexist. That’s how mine runs. You can even use the TiVo as a bridge. You’re limited to whatever moca version lives in the TiVo though.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

interesting point. I have a Bolt and 2 minis (original) so I think it's a pretty low level. When I had the MoCA adapter connected to the very same cable in that the TiVo mini is connected to it would not recognize the MoCA's existence. Maybe the adapter is a dud. The Tivo also would not recognize the network when plugged in at the same time as the MoCA adapter. So it's on it's way back to Amazon.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Dogen posted:

You can even use the TiVo as a bridge.

The main TiVo with the tuner? or the mini? Because it does not seem that you can make the mini operate as any sort of bridge to the ethernet.
My cable comes in, goes through a splitter and goes to the TiVo Bolt, and then to the cable modem. The cable modem is connected to the TiVo via ethernet. The TiVo then establishes the MoCA network and runs it over the coax for the tivo minis.
Am I missing something else?
I have tried to connect the computer to the mini via ethernet and it does nothing.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I didn't want to deal with Tivo and MoCa in my house, so I put the MoCa adaptors upstream of the Tivos, plugged cheap Ethernet switches into each MoCa adaptor, and let the Tivo get its data over the Ethernet. Works fine.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Mini can’t be a bridge, bolt should work fine

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I didn't want to deal with Tivo and MoCa in my house, so I put the MoCa adaptors upstream of the Tivos, plugged cheap Ethernet switches into each MoCa adaptor, and let the Tivo get its data over the Ethernet. Works fine.

That also works

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Ok so pc mag says this bitch is the best router. Right now.
Alternatively, I drew up plans to drop Ethernet and get something like an ubiquiti edge router to stuff in the attic and let it run the show while the PoSGDMFEs run only the wifi.

What do the networking goons think of these two solutions?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

otter posted:

Ok so pc mag says this bitch is the best router. Right now.
Alternatively, I drew up plans to drop Ethernet and get something like an ubiquiti edge router to stuff in the attic and let it run the show while the PoSGDMFEs run only the wifi.

I’d trust Wirecutter before PCMag. That said, that one is probably pretty good.

I have used Orbis in my house 4ish years now and other family use them as well without issue. My home network has 4 Orbi stations which is overkill but I tend to go overkill on my network. I also have 10G because I can :circlefap:

I never had much luck with Eero or Google’s assorted mesh wifi variants.

Caveat: I use Orbi purely in Bridge Mode. My routing and hard wire switching is all EdgeRouter/EdgeSwitch/MicroTik.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah, Netgear Orbis were my second choice over getting the UniFi U6-LR I'm in the middle of setting up now.. I would have gone for it if I had a real house rather than a decrepit railroad style tenement..

otter posted:

Definitely a good idea to go for the latter.. I don't care how crab-shaped you make your access point, in the end it's a lot smarter to dedicate a separate CPU to your routing than let an all-in-one solution do it for you..

It worked back in the days of slower WiFi, but with increasing speeds and increasing device counts, expecting a single CPU, no matter how many cores it has, to do all the work for a larger number of devices AND maintain the connection reliably, is courting disaster IMHO.

Even more so if you use more than one VPN going in or out.. I used to drop off every other day from VPNs until I switched to an EdgeRouter X from an all-in-one.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Is there any way to direct all traffic intended for a particular site/IP to another site (or blank page) via the router? I know you can individually edit a hosts file, and I suspect you could set up a piehole to do this, but I have a friend who has a family member who is otherwise helpful but very...poisoned by right wing media, and he would find it easier to have her in his house helping with the family if she wasn't constantly distracted by and repeating horrific conspiracy theory bullshit. I was hoping he could just redirect anyone on his wireless (since she's just gonna be using her phone) who tries to go to Daily Caller or Fox News or whatever to a blank page or google or a self help group or whatever.

And yes, a direct discussion with this person would be the best way to handle it, but that route has been taken numerous times to no avail (unsurprisingly, if you've had to deal with this sort of family member before). It'd just be easier to let her say "hey none of my websites work" and shrugging like "yeah our internet has been weird lately".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pihole would be the easiest way to blackhole all of that stuff since you could just go and add the required domains to the blacklist.

Awaiting the future update where superchud has decided that the routers are all made by god-hating leftists and they need to buy a Freedom Router from the pillow guy.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Hacked into the MyPillow site and I found special preview pics of the soon to be sold everywhere Freedom Router, which Only Uses The Most Modern Technology to Do Your InterWebs Traffic Routing!

I also managed to get a pic of the developer sitting in front of his state of the art rig

edit: gosh!

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 10, 2021

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

George RR Fartin posted:

Is there any way to direct all traffic intended for a particular site/IP to another site (or blank page) via the router? I know you can individually edit a hosts file, and I suspect you could set up a piehole to do this, but I have a friend who has a family member who is otherwise helpful but very...poisoned by right wing media, and he would find it easier to have her in his house helping with the family if she wasn't constantly distracted by and repeating horrific conspiracy theory bullshit. I was hoping he could just redirect anyone on his wireless (since she's just gonna be using her phone) who tries to go to Daily Caller or Fox News or whatever to a blank page or google or a self help group or whatever.

And yes, a direct discussion with this person would be the best way to handle it, but that route has been taken numerous times to no avail (unsurprisingly, if you've had to deal with this sort of family member before). It'd just be easier to let her say "hey none of my websites work" and shrugging like "yeah our internet has been weird lately".

The easiest is probably to set up NextDNS, then add whatever site blocks to it. PiHole is cool too but probably more work if you don't already have a Pi or VM setup.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Have any of you used these things?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5yo21wtGBE

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Does the router matter in home networking, or just access points? Not sure if it's COVID related, but wifi mesh kits are either out of stock or listed at double the price online. I can just get two unifi APs for cheaper, but don't have a router and don't know if I can just get a cheap one or need a spendy one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Coulda used those a decade sooner, but I notice that the video conspicuously lacks any footage of bug screens.