Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

opengl128 posted:

Why can't we have nice things? :sigh:

Jeez, we’re getting a $20k pickup truck that can probably seat four adults comfortably and get 40mpg highway. Is that not nice enough for you people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Bouillon Rube posted:

Jeez, we’re getting a $20k pickup truck that can probably seat four adults comfortably and get 40mpg highway. Is that not nice enough for you people?

No it has to fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood inside the bed with the tailgate closed and also tow 40 tons without ever dropping below 85mph.

Imo it's a fantastic buy at $20k.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Seriously what else can you get for $20k these days? A loving Versa?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
A Mazda 3 is pretty nice at the $20k price point

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Bouillon Rube posted:

40mpg *city*

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Bouillon Rube posted:

I think it's super neat and lots and lots of people will love it, I hope they sell millions.
For me, the ~bespoke AI member~, it sucks because: no manual, not brown :colbert:

Really though it's a modern Ford, I am waiting to see what this thing's issue will be. What will make it garbage?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Software or water leaks. I think every new Ford rolled out in the last 3 years have had one or both.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

While we all know the real reason we won't get a single cab (nobody would buy it) It may be an engineering impossibility with the unibody design

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Maybe they'll put the wrong gaskets on it, too

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I think it bodes well that software, water leaks, and headgaskets are what you people think about and not what put them on the map for problematic shitboxen: transmissions.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Note the dudes in the video with the sides of the truck up in their armpits...

https://twitter.com/mrlevine/status/1402209927657971713?s=20

Bed sides like 5ft tall but the bed only a foot deep. INNOVATION.

I had an F-150 with a 4" lift and 35" tires and I could still reach into the bottom of the bed and get stuff from the side.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I am 6'6" tall.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What I could not do, despite my height, was get the oil check stick back into its receptacle, unless I stood on one of the tires or used my phones camera to see down into the engine compartment.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
its the least awful truck in a world of awful trucks

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I forgot to say i love the tiny truck. it needs the rims wedged right into the fenders now to make it perfect.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^^
Tiny truck rule thoug but it should be just the old ranger/B series

Thread favorite Doug has a video up https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-arOcpTLySU

The interior is kind of weird and I'm definitely not the intended target audience because I think I'd just get a wagon instead or an actual truck, but overall it looks like a decent package I suppose

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 9, 2021

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
how is the price that low with a hybrid drivetrain

I :love: tiny truck

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

mobby_6kl posted:

The interior is kind of weird and I'm definitely not the intended target audience because I think I'd just get a wagon instead or an actual truck, but overall it looks like a decent package I suppose

I feel like I am the intended target audience. I have an old Ranger that's on its last legs because I do mild truck stuff sometimes. I don't tow anything.

My problem is, when I think about how I use my Ranger, it's stuff I wouldn't want to do with a Maverick. Hauling couches around (too big for a 4.5 foot bed unless I let it hang out). Hauling concrete (wouldn't want to do that with a new truck). Hauling brush (ditto, and the small bed would mean more trips). And I wouldn't want to do long road trips with the family (which I do in my Challenger currently) because there's no enclosed cargo area.

I like it a lot, don't get me wrong, it's just too much of a compromise from what I have right now.

So I think I'm going to keep my Ranger a lil longer and if I need to get a new daily, go with a nice wagon (used V90 maybe?).

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

CornHolio posted:

I feel like I am the intended target audience. I have an old Ranger that's on its last legs because I do mild truck stuff sometimes. I don't tow anything.

My problem is, when I think about how I use my Ranger, it's stuff I wouldn't want to do with a Maverick. Hauling couches around (too big for a 4.5 foot bed unless I let it hang out). Hauling concrete (wouldn't want to do that with a new truck). Hauling brush (ditto, and the small bed would mean more trips). And I wouldn't want to do long road trips with the family (which I do in my Challenger currently) because there's no enclosed cargo area.

I like it a lot, don't get me wrong, it's just too much of a compromise from what I have right now.

So I think I'm going to keep my Ranger a lil longer and if I need to get a new daily, go with a nice wagon (used V90 maybe?).

Why not just get another Ranger or a Tacoma?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kraftwerk posted:

Why not just get another Ranger or a Tacoma?

A used Taco costs more than a new Maverick.
The newest og ranger is now a decade old running on hardware from the nixon era.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cursedshitbox posted:

The newest og ranger is now a decade old running on hardware from the nixon era.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Also the new ranger doesn't seem to be *that* much bigger and you get a real-deal truck

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

mobby_6kl posted:

It very much is a bad thing in a wreck. (I love the old Ranger, my dad had one).

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CornHolio posted:

If you are afraid to use your new truck to do truck things but you need to do truck things, you're not the target market for a new truck.

I don't think the fact that this is a truck is the most important aspect here, i think it's the price/size combo. For the last 20 years, it was determined that a hybrid = more money and size = more money. That's out the window. There is now a 40mpg city, $20k vehicle the size of a ford explorer on the market. Basic, functional, efficient, cheap, and just happens to be in the shape everybody wants to buy anyways.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I know Ford is a trash company but between this and the lightning I’ve got some mild Ford-related dick twitch going on right now.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The more I look at the maverick the more it looks like a nissan cube with a truck bed

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

It is because of

Jack B Nimble posted:

It very much is a bad thing in a wreck. (I love the old Ranger, my dad had one).

Old trucks crash like poo poo. Especially when an offset is involved.

I live aboard a 31 year old farm truck, I wouldn't want to get hit by a new civic these things are such death traps.
I love the old rangers, I'll never own a second death-trap truck though.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

It’s also shocking (and awesome) that the 2.0 turbo isn’t gated to the higher trims levels. You can order the 2.0T/8 speed auto with the base XL trim for like $22k.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

The 2021 Ranger doesn’t seem to have performed terribly in crash tests

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/Ford/ranger-crew-cab-pickup/2021

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Bouillon Rube posted:

It’s also shocking (and awesome) that the 2.0 turbo isn’t gated to the higher trims levels. You can order the 2.0T/8 speed auto with the base XL trim for like $22k.

You’re never going to see one on the lot though. This seems like a vehicle that dealers aren’t going to be interested in selling unless it’s a high trim version because there just can’t be much money in it on the base models. So then you’ll have to try and find a dealer that won’t jerk you around on a custom order.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My plan, if I do break down and buy a new car, is to test drive whatever they have on the lot and then insist on ordering a base model from whoever will sell me one, if the local place won't gently caress 'em.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

New Land Cruiser. No the Us isn't getting it.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a36676044/toyota-land-cruiser-300-series-revealed/

409hp 3.5 liter twin turbo V6 that will probably make it into the new Tundra too. That's a fat rear end console and door card. looks tight inside.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

My plan, if I do break down and buy a new car, is to test drive whatever they have on the lot and then insist on ordering a base model from whoever will sell me one, if the local place won't gently caress 'em.

Yeah I'm gonna have to drive one of these, if the hybrid drives well and is reasonably seamless I might have to consider it over an EV which I was planning on getting. But so far I haven't really liked how any of the hybrids drove that i have tried so far.

Ford really missed the boat on a full EV Maverick, altho I guess that could still be in the cards for future models if it sells relatively well.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah I'm gonna have to drive one of these, if the hybrid drives well and is reasonably seamless I might have to consider it over an EV which I was planning on getting. But so far I haven't really liked how any of the hybrids drove that i have tried so far.

Ford really missed the boat on a full EV Maverick, altho I guess that could still be in the cards for future models if it sells relatively well.

One of the big wigs seemed to imply it's in the works??? From the EV thread:

edit: not sure if that's what that means or it's just demonstrating the size. 🤔

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 9, 2021

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

*slaps grille*

You can paste so many toddlers with this baby

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Powershift posted:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a36676044/toyota-land-cruiser-300-series-revealed/

409hp 3.5 liter twin turbo V6 that will probably make it into the new Tundra too. That's a fat rear end console and door card. looks tight inside.

Wonder how big the Lexus version's grill will be. I mean we are absolutely getting it, just as a Lexus LX.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Powershift posted:

Now we know why it's not coming to the US :v:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Powershift posted:

I can't tell if this looks good or not.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

imo it just looks like 6 year old Lexus

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
There will be like 5 "under $20k base Mav mini-trucks" available ever and nobody will ever get to buy one. Their troll worked.

The only models available at the dealers will be starting at $28k but mostly the fully loaded $35k versions with a $3k "MARKET ADJUSTMENT gently caress YOU PAY ME!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
With all the internet excitement over the maverick, I can’t help but feel that no one in reality is going to buy the drat thing. I really wish they had AWD hybrid though. Would make a perfect truck for the muddy roads on my farm