Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
A good modern njpw match featuring a foreigner and a hot crowd would be kota ibushi v Switchblade at the 2019 g1 finals

Heck of a match too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pylons posted:

It's fun when they lose their mind for something right now that they can't help but break protocols.

The reaction to Mutoh doing the moonsault on Sunday was so good

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Some of those All Japan crowds are the hottest I've seen in any country ever.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
The WWE releases last week got me wondering, is Enzo Amore the only WWE wrestler ever released while holding a title?

Closest I could think of was Madusa going to Nitro or various injury scenarios, but those obviously aren't "releases" per se.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Minidust posted:

The WWE releases last week got me wondering, is Enzo Amore the only WWE wrestler ever released while holding a title?

Closest I could think of was Madusa going to Nitro or various injury scenarios, but those obviously aren't "releases" per se.

She was released.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Minidust posted:

Jeff Jarrett's contract expired while IC Champion, so he made them pay him a bunch of money to come back and drop the belt to Chyna. Not exactly a release, but maybe the closest thing I can think of. There have to be SOME other examples of people they had a need to get rid of immediately without wanting to deal with how to get a belt off of them, though, right?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

Dynamite Kid's Pure Dynamite is an entertaining look into a sociopath.

How often does the phrase "Then I set him on fire and laughed" come up?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

IIRC he has the marbles to claim he never took liberties.

Sure, Tom.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Red posted:

I love Bret's book, and just plowed through that. I'm amazed by the detail he recalls.

I love Bret's book too, but I believe he kept some sort of audio journal throughout his career, which he used extensively to write his book. That said, for a guy with as many concussion issues as he had, I'm glad to see how on the ball he still is.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, the constant 'but' that always comes up about Bret's book is that it's based on diaries he kept from the time, so a lot of it is his biases at the time, with very little reflection from the time the book was published.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I enjoyed the Nitro book (https://www.amazon.com/NITRO-Incredible-Inevitable-Collapse-Turners/dp/0692139176), and it's free on Kindle Unlimited if you have it.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, the constant 'but' that always comes up about Bret's book is that it's based on diaries he kept from the time, so a lot of it is his biases at the time, with very little reflection from the time the book was published.
Isn't that kind of a conceit of the book?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Cameo posted:

That Kobashi/Kikuchi vs. The Can-Ams is the loving craziest crowd I have ever seen, just pure :kingsley: from start to finish and you start the match like “there’s no way they won’t tire out way before this match is over, they’re flipping out already!” and they just get louder and louder and hit peak crazy bananas after the pin.

Made a lot of the rowdier ECW crowds seem tame.

I hadn’t seen that so I just found it on YouTube and it sounds like Kikuchi is wrestling in his hometown, Sendai, and as that’s not Tokyo or Osaka they probably got shows very rarely. So to have that for a hot match is going to amplify things — even today, places like Hiroshima are huge for NJPW because they don’t get ten shows a month.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

At least one more whenever Randy Orton writes one.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

harperdc posted:

I hadn’t seen that so I just found it on YouTube and it sounds like Kikuchi is wrestling in his hometown, Sendai, and as that’s not Tokyo or Osaka they probably got shows very rarely. So to have that for a hot match is going to amplify things — even today, places like Hiroshima are huge for NJPW because they don’t get ten shows a month.

Someone going over in their hometown because the hometown is hot for them? What crazy booking logic is that?!?!?!?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
poo poo, they even let Mondai Ryu win his homecoming show matches, and he's Mondai Ryu.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Ganso Bomb posted:

Jeff Jarrett's contract expired while IC Champion, so he made them pay him a bunch of money to come back and drop the belt to Chyna. Not exactly a release, but maybe the closest thing I can think of. There have to be SOME other examples of people they had a need to get rid of immediately without wanting to deal with how to get a belt off of them, though, right?

Speaking of Chyna, she had vacated the Women’s title after Judgement Day 2001. I think she was released or left on her own accord a few months later but it is notable that she didn’t put anyone over on her way out.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Did Chyna ever have any good singles matches? All I can remember is that her punches loving blew.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I recall her mostly throwing forearms from the early days as HHH's bodyguard, which looked fine to me.

More US wrestlers should throw forearms/elbows/European uppercuts instead because their worked punches blow. I prefer the mindset in Japan were throwing a punch would elicit a gasp from the crowd because it was so rarely done and was against the rules.

E: Her highest-rated match is the Good Housekeeping match with JJ for the IC title, at 3.25 stars. That was basically a hardcore match and hid her limitations well.

anakha fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 10, 2021

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

I was looking at this old territories map, and a couple things stood out to me:

1) How the hell did Georgia Championship Wrestling manage to get southern OH & WV without any connected territory between there and GA?
2) Was there just no wrestling in the NV/UT/WY/ID region at the time? Not even Vegas?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

1) How the hell did Georgia Championship Wrestling manage to get southern OH & WV without any connected territory between there and GA?
2) Was there just no wrestling in the NV/UT/WY/ID region at the time? Not even Vegas?

The font and everything makes this look like a map from a Rifts book.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

1) From what I can tell, short answer is WTBS reached there so they tried running a show and it sold out, so they started running the territory regularly. The old promoter there ran the territory into the ground so there weren't any claims on it.

2) I think the AWA ran those territories, mostly? But sporadically.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 10, 2021

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Yeah, the AWA had a claim on Nevada

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Red posted:

Did Chyna ever have any good singles matches? All I can remember is that her punches loving blew.

Along these same lines I noticed on Dark that Bear Bronson throws a fuckin great punch

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Red posted:

I remember liking a match she had with Jericho

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

1) TBS.

Ohio had been regularly booked previously and had a ton of good-drawing towns. IIRC even Chillicothe was getting regular cards in the 1950s. The NWF did a lot in Ohio in the mid-1970s. Everything just kinda fell to Georgia.

2) Idaho was last regularly booked in the 1950s, maybe into the early 1960s. In the 1950s, it was part of a connected territory with Utah as part of Tri-State. Tri-State ran a bit of eastern Washington regularly and tried to run Montana in the mid-1950s, but long drives and no money made them abandon that in a hurry. Stu Hart later took over Montana, for whatever that was worth. Tri-State likely had some agreement with Don Owen's Portland territory and there was a lot of talent floating between the two.

Salt Lake City drew pretty well. I'd assume it was able to keep semi-regular cards for longer.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

The good house keeping match was probably her best, people put it at like three stars at the time? Her Jericho matches were around there too. That's about it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I remember all of her matches building to the cartwheel handspring reverse elbow thing in the corner.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I remember all of her matches building to the cartwheel handspring reverse elbow thing in the corner.

Lol that reminds me of her neck injury angle after she did one.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I remember for a while she didn't have that yet and her finisher was pretty much just the low blow

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

TheKingslayer posted:

The font and everything makes this look like a map from a Rifts book.

You want to read this post: https://breadthofpopsanity.blogspot.com/2020/11/post-apocalyptic-pro-wrestling-part-1.html

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pylons posted:

1) From what I can tell, short answer is WTBS reached there so they tried running a show and it sold out, so they started running the territory regularly. The old promoter there ran the territory into the ground so there weren't any claims on it.

Wouldn't that have been Dick the Bruiser's territory? Which probably explains why it was run into the ground.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Wouldn't that have been Dick the Bruiser's territory? Which probably explains why it was run into the ground.

The original Sheikh, I think. Ed Farhat.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pylons posted:

The original Sheikh, I think. Ed Farhat.

I thought Sheikh ran Detroit, but I could be wrong. It's not like both wouldn't be guilty of it. I remember reading Farhat wouldn't let even Andre have a clean pinfall over him and it's like, yeah, no wonder the town died.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

I thought Sheikh ran Detroit, but I could be wrong. It's not like both wouldn't be guilty of it. I remember reading Farhat wouldn't let even Andre have a clean pinfall over him and it's like, yeah, no wonder the town died.

The Sheik has a win over Andre because the Sheik rules. (And that win was in Toronto.)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

My grandfather used to tell me stories of the Sheikh, and Dick the Bruiser, but I’m not sure who actually ran the Detroit territory.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Oh now this is tremendous.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

sticklefifer posted:

1. The Sheik had stopped running, but specific to "Why GCW?" it was that they did an angle involving a letter-writing campaign and the responses were overwhelmingly from Ohio. Presumably, since the area was starved for its own wrestling, the fans were more engaged with GCW on Superstation WTBS than they were in markets with their own local promotion.
2. There was, it's just that they were either fly-in cities for other territories (the AWA in Vegas and Salt Lake City, similar to how they ran Denver) or super obscure (Diamond Belt Wrestling, Paddy Ryan's Idaho territory).

bartok
May 10, 2006

I remember Chyna having a match against Road Dogg that wasn't as bad as it should have been though I wouldn't call it good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

When she went to NJPW and was regularly training in the L.A. Dojo, Chyna absolutely got better and became a solidly competent pro wrestler.