Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The noodles were great but yeah of course its blown out of proportion. That being said, if they ever remove the bread pudding, I will gladly join #DisTwitter in burning the resort to the ground.

I have only the most reasonable reactions, you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Quixotic1 posted:

So they changed up the Ohana menu and people were up in arms over it enough that it trended momentarily on distwitter sphere. Apparently they got rid of some bread shrimp and noodles that people liked?

I've never been to ut, is this a blown out of proportion,this is Disney fans so most likely yes.

Any change at all... any change gets people all up in arms and freaking out.

Ohana's food quality has gone way downhill the last few years anyway, so I welcome any changes they make.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
While the food changes are unfortunate, I think the best takeaway is it being another mark of the cheapening of the park experience. This change could likely be attributed to shortages and increased product pricing due to pandemic, but a lot of the Chapek changes are starting to get annoying and cheap.

It's a "death by a thousand cuts" kind of scenario, pun intended.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
are they adding anything in the place of the noodles or just removing them?

and yeah, the noodles were really fuckin' good

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

are they adding anything in the place of the noodles or just removing them?

and yeah, the noodles were really fuckin' good

just removing them. I'm really hoping that if we're doing all this mask off bullshit, buffets come back. I like a family style dinner, too, but tusker house is a buffet.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The noodles were good but I wouldn't base going or not going there around them. A few years ago I noticed a dip in the quality of the meats and that was my main issue. It went from feeling like a deal for the price considering the quality of the unlimited food to feeling like "ok, yeah, I can see why this is unlimited."

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Don't be a fool and fill up on noodles! Save room for the expensive stuff!

Also, totally unrelated. I've decided replacing the Donald animatronic with a plant with a sombrero on is the single funniest thing that has ever happened in a theme park. I am willing to hear counter arguments. But it is going to be hard to beat "plant with sombrero"

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

BlueBayou posted:

Don't be a fool and fill up on noodles! Save room for the expensive stuff!

Also, totally unrelated. I've decided replacing the Donald animatronic with a plant with a sombrero on is the single funniest thing that has ever happened in a theme park. I am willing to hear counter arguments. But it is going to be hard to beat "plant with sombrero"

I'm pretty sure it was intentional trolling. It's both ridiculous but also a cartoony thing Donald would do to get out of performing at the concert.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

One day we'll get that tell all that confirms they had to repurpose an already-in-progress Hillary Clinton animatronic for Trrmp when he won, but until that day, I think it'll be the Donald Duck Memorial Plant

EDIT: Honestly the HoP spike strip to discourage storming the stage was also pretty funny

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

BlueBayou posted:

Also, totally unrelated. I've decided replacing the Donald animatronic with a plant with a sombrero on is the single funniest thing that has ever happened in a theme park.

Boxman posted:

One day we'll get that tell all that confirms they had to repurpose an already-in-progress Hillary Clinton animatronic for Trrmp when he won, but until that day, I think it'll be the Donald Duck Memorial Plant

I got confused about what Donald was being talked about here and thought I had missed some insanely hilarious news about HoP

Hazo fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 9, 2021

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Taking the kiddo down to WDW for a long weekend - intrigued to see the changes since last month’s trip.

Ready for that hot hot Florida heat to blast

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Scored an ‘Ohana reservation for opening weekend, let’s see how it goes.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Cais posted:

I tried dinner every day from opening through the window and notta, congrats

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Cais posted:

Def post a trip report, interested to see how the food quality is.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

skipdogg posted:

Def post a trip report, interested to see how the food quality is.

Will do. I was a big fan of the old menu, my wife not so much so between us we should have an objective review lol.

Edit: the system works! The noodles are back.

Cais fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 11, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Noodles are back, but masks are optional as of the 15th. Who’s today which is better or worse.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
You gotta know Disney already has the sketchy tracking tech and I'm sure if they tried hard enough they could sniff out your vaccination status too. They should just start making unvaccinated maskless people ~disappear~*

*in a cloud of fairy dust obviously

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The noodles is how they get you to eat less meat so you'll get full quicker and keep a higher profit margin.

Do not become addicted to noodles my friends.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Eat whatever tastes best forget any perceived value, you're already eating at Disney and not cooking at home.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 11, 2021

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Bottom Liner posted:

Eat whatever tastes best forget and perceived value, you're already eating at Disney and not cooking at home.

:hmmyes:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm down to 1 hospice dog as of this morning. Seems apt that they'd make the mask announcement today to really just let the universe flip me off, I guess.

At least they aren't banning them.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Well, we're taking the dive and booking a California trip for September (sent you an e-mail, Braks :3: ). We'll hold off until June 16th to make sure California doesn't extend their policy on out-of-staters but absent that, universal and disneyland here we come.

Assuming those are the only two things we're interested in (lol there's nothing else to see in LA right ya'll?), what's the best way to make those transfers? It's just three trips (LAX to Universal hotel, Universal hotel to DL hotel, and DL hotel to LAX), so just paying for what would doubtless be some very expensive taxis is certainly do-able, but it feels like there should be a better option, especially for the Disneyland-to-LAX route, which has to be serviced by some sort of shuttle bus.

EDIT: I looked at the OP for the first time in ages for some reason and honestly its...more or less fine but oh god the "how to pay for it" section. It lists a stay + tickets for less than just the tickets cost these days :(

Boxman fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 12, 2021

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

When we did Disneyland/LA, we just used Ubers to get around. I think there's a bus but we just felt more comfortable using Ubers.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I have gone from Universal to Disneyland on public transit. It was fine for me as a person just going from one park to the other for a few hours. I wouldn't do it with luggage. The walk from Universal to the Station was longer than I thought and the Red Line is very busy. If your bags can fit under a seat you could taxi to Union Station and take the Metrolink to Anaheim and that would probably help cut back a lot of the cost. Otherwise, the private coach options between the two places are few and far between and what did exist is likely still shut down due to the tourism industry slowly rebooting.

Captain Tightpants
Dec 26, 2006

This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then - explode.
Alright, I'm trying to plan a WDW trip in April 2022 for six adults. I've been four times (the last was 9 years ago) and it'll be the first time for everyone else. Since it's my husband's family, I've asked him if he could try to get them to take a look at the website and do maybe 15 minutes of "research" so I can get a feel for priorities and how to plan accordingly. The response has been, we don't care, we just want to have fun, anything is fine with us. That gets me a little frustrated, since so much is done in advance.

I ended up getting in touch with a travel agent, thinking that could make things easier. The resorts I was looking at put us at the top of our planned budget, not including airfare. A step down in resorts makes it a little better. I like the idea of having someone to help me plan out reservations and be on top of the latest news and updates. The last time I went there were no magic bands or Fastpass reservations, or anything like that, and it feels very daunting.

My husband is now pushing for us to stay in a rental house in Orlando. I'm familiar with the convenience of staying on site, so that makes more sense to me, but financially, a rental would be much cheaper. I admit I didn't read all 600 pages of this thread, and this has already been discussed, but do people have any advice on staying off site? It seems this last year got rid of a lot of the perks to staying on site. But the next ten months are also a total mystery, so. I hope this was coherent enough, I'm already feeling the stress and anxiety from looking

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Captain Tightpants posted:

Alright, I'm trying to plan a WDW trip in April 2022 for six adults. I've been four times (the last was 9 years ago) and it'll be the first time for everyone else. Since it's my husband's family, I've asked him if he could try to get them to take a look at the website and do maybe 15 minutes of "research" so I can get a feel for priorities and how to plan accordingly. The response has been, we don't care, we just want to have fun, anything is fine with us. That gets me a little frustrated, since so much is done in advance.

I ended up getting in touch with a travel agent, thinking that could make things easier. The resorts I was looking at put us at the top of our planned budget, not including airfare. A step down in resorts makes it a little better. I like the idea of having someone to help me plan out reservations and be on top of the latest news and updates. The last time I went there were no magic bands or Fastpass reservations, or anything like that, and it feels very daunting.

My husband is now pushing for us to stay in a rental house in Orlando. I'm familiar with the convenience of staying on site, so that makes more sense to me, but financially, a rental would be much cheaper. I admit I didn't read all 600 pages of this thread, and this has already been discussed, but do people have any advice on staying off site? It seems this last year got rid of a lot of the perks w staying on site. But the next ten months are also a total mystery, so. I hope this was coherent enough, I'm already feeling the stress and anxiety from looking

There's nothing wrong with getting a rental house if you'll have cars and that's what everyone wants to do. Have you talked about this with your travel agent? There are some commissionable vacation homes in Orlando, I'm pretty sure. Or you might think about an offsite hotel. There are plenty of Good Neighbor hotels in the area that you can book a room/ticket package straight with Disney. At this point, I generally think you should check with the offsite hotels to see if they're running shuttles and stuff to the parks, or if you're driving and will have a car, it's not a terrible option. Rental cars right now are a hot mess, but surely that will be cleared up soon.

I suggest you talk with your travel agent and get their ideas. If you're not happy with that agent, I can try to help, but I'm not in the habit of poaching clients from other TAs.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

ubers in Orlando are fuckin' terrifying

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

alg posted:

Better than the cabs. I still am a bit annoyed by this, but it worked out in the end. In like 2014 we needed a ride from Epcot to Disney Springs in a hurry, so the buses wouldn't work. Walked to the cab line, asked how much. Dude at the front said $30, so we pulled out our phone to get an Uber, which only cost like $7. The cab drivers in line behind him got pissed at him for that, too. The were standing around chatting and overhead.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I've used ubers in Orlando a bit and I've never had a bad experience. Maybe I've been lucky?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

alg posted:

I almost die on I-4 anyway gently caress it it's tons of fun

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I almost die on I-4 anyway gently caress it it's tons of fun

yeah that's part of why we stopped driving from NC. one trip we saw 4 accidents, including a person hitting a Disney bus

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

alg posted:

yeah that's part of why we stopped driving from NC. one trip we saw 4 accidents, including a person hitting a Disney bus

flying in doesn't avoid the problem spots tho

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I don't own a car, so I use lyft and uber frequently and usually have pretty good rides.

I can only think of two that were scary. One was a trip to Universal where he blew through an intersection when it wasn't his turn to go and almost got us into a collision then blew past the security booth at Universal (thankfully not a thing anymore for rideshare but it was at the time) so the security guys came over to see what was what and I had to apologize and hope they didn't want to trespass me. That was a ride so bad they gave me my money back lol

Then I had a woman who decided to do a u-turn on the road just beside MK Cast Parking, which has a crazy blind spot and a high-speed limit, and yeah, I saw my life flash before my eyes as a car sped around the corner while she slowly tried to make an awkward turn. Thankful the car had great breaks and I did not die.

I usually just get quiet dudes who talk to their family in Spanish while I surf my phone, so I tend not to mind.

As for Ohana? The noodles are good, but like, not the end of the world, I am honestly sadder about the bread they had which was super good. As for the rest of the menu, The Shrimp Casserole they are doing instead of the skewered shrimp sounds horrifying and I am not sure why they made that change.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 13, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Then I had a woman who decided to do a u-turn on the road just beside MK Cast Parking, which has a crazy blind spot and a high-speed limit, and yeah, I saw my life flash before my eyes as a car sped around the corner while she slowly tried to make an awkward turn. Thankful the car had great breaks and I did not die.

oh poo poo I know that spot, fuuuuuck that.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Bottom Liner posted:

oh poo poo I know that spot, fuuuuuck that.

I live right behind MK, normally what would be walking distance, but my knees are terrible (early on-set arthritis, babeee) so that night, I was rough after my shift and decided an Uber would be best until I saw those headlights and went "Shoulda walked"

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

that entire area is an insane failure in urban planning. traffic of a small city, all 2 lane roads!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I live right behind MK, normally what would be walking distance, but my knees are terrible (early on-set arthritis, babeee) so that night, I was rough after my shift and decided an Uber would be best until I saw those headlights and went "Shoulda walked"

I mean this in all seriousness because I too know that spot: have you considered an ecv just for the back and forth to work so you aren't technically on that hosed up road

AK's isn't a lot better in my opinion, either.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Braksgirl posted:

When we did Disneyland/LA, we just used Ubers to get around. I think there's a bus but we just felt more comfortable using Ubers.

I just checked lyft and lol it's like $100 before tip. I guess that's not the worst price for a private one-hour drive for two people but...

Craptacular! posted:

Otherwise, the private coach options between the two places are few and far between and what did exist is likely still shut down due to the tourism industry slowly rebooting.

This is so fuckin America/LA I can't believe it. For going from the busiest airport on the west coast to a world-renowned tourist destination, "lol take a private car" 100% should not be the best option, but here we are!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Boxman posted:

I just checked lyft and lol it's like $100 before tip. I guess that's not the worst price for a private one-hour drive for two people but...

This is so fuckin America/LA I can't believe it. For going from the busiest airport on the west coast to a world-renowned tourist destination, "lol take a private car" 100% should not be the best option, but here we are!

you can probably get some kind of cheapo prom night type limo service for $100/hour. go fuckin nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Bottom Liner posted:

that entire area is an insane failure in urban planning. traffic of a small city, all 2 lane roads!

Those sections of Reams/Fiquette are going to go to two lanes in each direction over the next few years. I feel for the people who live along that road and are about to get eminent domain'd. We seriously considered buying one of the lots on Fiquette along the lake, but opted against it because that road is a nightmare already and will continue to get worse