Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

So Rosen in favor of eliminating the filibuster to pass voting reform but isn’t in favor of eliminating the filibuster to pass legislation like M4A, Green New Deal, minimum wage, etc.?

And here I thought it was just Manchin and Sinema standing in the way. Turns out a whole shitload of Democrats are horrible! (Because she is surely not the only other one who feels like this)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mind_Taker posted:

So Rosen in favor of eliminating the filibuster to pass voting reform but isn’t in favor of eliminating the filibuster to pass legislation like M4A, Green New Deal, minimum wage, etc.?

And here I thought it was just Manchin and Sinema standing in the way. Turns out a whole shitload of Democrats are horrible! (Because she is surely not the only other one who feels like this)

a exception for "just this kind of bill" pretty quickly becomes an exception to all kinds of bills. key is getting the thin edge of the wedge in there, the sky does not fall/good things happen, republicans pledge retaliation, and the momentum continues to carry you to full abolition.

its like how "no judicial filibusters EXCEPT for scotus nominees" was always understood to mean "until someone filibusters one the majority wants to pass"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1402677611449524226

Starting to think we need to tar and feather the editorial staff at the NY Post for running a Loyalist magazine.

https://twitter.com/tylerpager/status/1402682423201173512

Some actual news. This is a fine start but we really should put our national industrial shoulder to the wheel on a global vaccination effort. Also good that we're springing for the top-shelf brand all the real vaccine connoisseur have for personal use and not some bottom-shelf tub like Moderna.

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 9, 2021

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Plus, even if you pass democracy protection and nothing else through a half measure, that makes it that much more likely that in the future the Senate will be in a position to go full measure over the objections of the Manchins and the Sinemas

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

zoux posted:

Starting to think we need to tar and feather the editorial staff at the NY Post for running a Loyalist magazine.

Wow, and I thought NY Post was republican-leaning.

:v:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

why the gently caress should we give a poo poo about the portrait of the queen in an American university.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

why the gently caress should we give a poo poo about the portrait of the queen in an American university.

oxford is currently english, but i approve of your enthusiasm for taking the revolutionary war to the land of the oppressors

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

That's the spirit!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They did vote to remove the portrait so Oxford is pretty much the 51st state already

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

haveblue posted:

They did vote to remove the portrait so Oxford is pretty much the 51st state already

local officials quoted as saying "harumph!" before dropping their weird rear end bland food in shock

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

haveblue posted:

Does it get two senators though?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Oxford, welcome to the #Rebellion.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
We will be greeted as liberators.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

evilweasel posted:

oxford is currently english, but i approve of your enthusiasm for taking the revolutionary war to the land of the oppressors

lol. i went to a state school so that explains my lack of knowledge of inbred horror schools. also why does the post care

zoux posted:

That's the spirit!

indeed. drive them into the channel.

Morrow posted:

We will be greeted as liberators.

everyone knows the english will take to the streets to celebrate when their tyranical queen and PM are captured or run over by US tanks. and bald eagles will land on big ben and everyone will cry as the pledge of allegiance is read over 100 times.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Clumsily pulling down Nelson's Column with a crane before the cheering hordes

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Brexit is having some... unintended effects.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mind_Taker posted:

If nothing else it has been obvious since the $15 minimum wage vote since sure Manchin and Sinema got the most flak for it but they weren't the only ones to vote against it. If the filibuster were completely removed many of those same dems would find other reasons to not vote for good things, I'm sure.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lol. i went to a state school so that explains my lack of knowledge of inbred horror schools. also why does the post care

The Queen may have treated a brown skinned woman badly. Therefore, the NY Post loves her.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Jarmak posted:

Despotism is a state of government where the ruler wields absolute power, particularly, but not necessarily, in a cruel way.

Pretty much every despot who's walked the Earth had claimed they were wielding that power for a good and moral reason.

Edit: it's also pretty funny to pivot from a "all power inherently corrupts" discussion to "my use of absolute power is moral and good"

Despots are, by definition, evil and oppressive. Whatever their impression of themselves may be, they're not morally just by definition. And no, all power does not inherently corrupt.

Jarmak posted:

Yes, precisely, that's exactly why the libs care so much about preserving institutions and structures that prevent the consolidation of power.

Those institutions themselves can be oppressive, though. We're witnessing that right now. "Preventing the consolidation of power" is not tantamount to morally just.

Judakel fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 9, 2021

MSB3000
Jul 30, 2008

Tibalt posted:

At least something good came from it.

Welcome to the 51st state of America: England. The student becomes the master.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Tibalt posted:

In their quest to achieve Brexit's truest form, they discovered that it was Britain itself that they must leave.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

zoux posted:

Some actual news. This is a fine start but we really should put our national industrial shoulder to the wheel on a global vaccination effort. Also good that we're springing for the top-shelf brand all the real vaccine connoisseur have for personal use and not some bottom-shelf tub like Moderna.

Isn't Moderna basically the 2nd best vaccine and only falls a little short of the best one? Bottom shelf of the western vaccines is probably AstraZeneca while J&J sits in between by being a cool single shot but also might have clotting problems (or at least enough to worry people about it). Or have I missed :thejoke:?

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

MSB3000 posted:

At least something good came from it.

Welcome to the 51st state of America: England. The student becomes the master.

Are we going to rename it airstrip one?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Meatball posted:

Are we going to rename it airstrip one?

Coca Cola Presents: USA Airstrip 1: Featuring Kid Rock

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Darkrenown posted:

Isn't Moderna basically the 2nd best vaccine and only falls a little short of the best one? Bottom shelf of the western vaccines is probably AstraZeneca while J&J sits in between by being a cool single shot but also might have clotting problems (or at least enough to worry people about it). Or have I missed :thejoke:?

:thejoke:

The two mRNA vaccines are basically indistinguishable, but it became trendy to pretend one was the cool vaccine and the other was uncool because people love to make in-groups and out-groups

J&J's clotting problems are somewhere in the range between "nonexistent" and "lower risk than a lot of other things we use despite having known for a long time they cause blood clots"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Eric Cantonese posted:

The Queen may have treated a brown skinned woman badly. Therefore, the NY Post loves her.
You joke but all of this weird right-wing love for the Royal Family seems to have started after that

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Statehood for DC, Puerto Rico, and Scotland

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

haveblue posted:

The two mRNA vaccines are basically indistinguishable, but it became trendy to pretend one was the cool vaccine and the other was uncool because people love to make in-groups and out-groups

I honestly never got the jokes that Pfizer is the fancy / status vaccine (within the US), given that it accounts for more than half of all vaccines administered here. I know it was always a sort of silly joke and no one meant it seriously, but it doesn't even make sense as a joke.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah we got the J&J and haven't had any issues.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

You joke but all of this weird right-wing love for the Royal Family seems to have started after that

They left the royal family for two main reasons, mental health and racism. This made the left in the US take their side, so the right has to automatically take the other side, which in this case is good old 17th century royalism, but owning the libs is more important

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Darkrenown posted:

I was kidding on the square. After the J&J/AZ problems, vaccine uptake in places like Africa - which was already moribund - fell off big, not only because of the over-stating of the potential problems, but the idea that the developed Western countries were sloughing off our reject vaccines on the global south. As far as I know, while the mRNA vaccines seem to be somewhat better at preventing infection, all of them do about the same job of preventing serious disease or death. But the perception, especially in non-European countries, is that the mRNAs are the best and of those, Pfizer is the best. So in that regard, I do think it will make a difference so far as hesitancy.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

alnilam posted:

I honestly never got the jokes that Pfizer is the fancy / status vaccine (within the US), given that it accounts for more than half of all vaccines administered here. I know it was always a sort of silly joke and no one meant it seriously, but it doesn't even make sense as a joke.

it's objectively the best one

(because it is ever so slightly better efficacy in trials than moderna, but most importantly the second shot comes a week earlier so that's a week earlier you can start licking doorknobs again because you're fully vaxxed)

(but most importantly because i got it)

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The Pfizer vaccine is chock-full of the finest Zeta-Reticulan gay nanites while Moderna's slop is just half dead bi-curious reptilo-grey hybrid junk DNA.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I can barely stick a paperclip to the forehead of some Modernoid but my Pfizer infused blood snaps me into metal pipes like I'm full of neodymium.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

evilweasel posted:

it's objectively the best one

(because it is ever so slightly better efficacy in trials than moderna, but most importantly the second shot comes a week earlier so that's a week earlier you can start licking doorknobs again because you're fully vaxxed)

(but most importantly because i got it)

All the Pfizer recipients I know had the same two week delay as the Moderna recipients. Is this really a thing?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ILL Machina posted:

All the Pfizer recipients I know had the same two week delay as the Moderna recipients. Is this really a thing?

the delay between shots is 4 weeks for moderna, 3 for pfizer (because that's what they tested in their trials)

both require you to wait two weeks after the second shot, but that means from your first jab you're 5 weeks away from full immunity with pfizer, 6 weeks away with moderna

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

ILL Machina posted:

Pfizer originally recommended the second shot at 21 days while Moderna recommended theirs at 28.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have to say, Adams's apartment looks... a lot like something you would rent to have a token NYC address to run for mayor, and not very much like something a NYC mayoral candidate would live in.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Judakel posted:

Despots are, by definition, evil and oppressive. Whatever their impression of themselves may be, they're not morally just by definition. And no, all power does not inherently corrupt.

Those institutions themselves can be oppressive, though. We're witnessing that right now. "Preventing the consolidation of power" is not tantamount to morally just.

You're just flat not right about what words mean.

The despotism refers to to the consolidation of all power in a single ruler. The colloquial use of it in the more generically "oppressive government"-sense is an evolution of the general sense (particular during the enlightenment and through the European revolutions) that a form a government in which all power is vested in the ruler is inherently evil and oppressive.

So your contention that the ruler overuling the rule of law is not despotism because despotism means oppressive and such action isn't oppressive is fantastically and impressively wrong on multiple levels.

Despotism only carries a negative connotation because of the very exact liberal values you're specifically rejecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

evilweasel posted:

the delay between shots is 4 weeks for moderna, 3 for pfizer (because that's what they tested in their trials)

both require you to wait two weeks after the second shot, but that means from your first jab you're 5 weeks away from full immunity with pfizer, 6 weeks away with moderna

The nurses told me to come back for my second shot 14 days after the first one :shrug: