Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Grand Fromage posted:

For a narrative history, that's the only one. I wouldn't call it amateurish, at least not once he gets into it. Anthony Kaldellis also does a ERE podcast but it's topic based, not chronological. I don't know of any others.

Oh poo poo he does? Imma have to go check that out at least.

Also good to know HoB is okay at least, his very unassurred introductory episodes did not inspire confidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

PittTheElder posted:

It's good, it's called Byzantium & Friends. It's not a replacement of History of Byzantium but a companion.

PittTheElder posted:

Also good to know HoB is okay at least, his very unassurred introductory episodes did not inspire confidence.

Yeah it's just beginning podcast syndrome. It's one of my favorites now.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

He gets a lot better later on. There's also twelve Byzantine rulers but Lars briwnworth which is good and well researched but skips massive chunks of history

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Gaius Marius posted:

There's also twelve Byzantine rulers but Lars briwnworth which is good and well researched but skips massive chunks of history

This was the first podcast I listened to (and the only one for like five years) and it's pretty good. Definitely a cursory overview but a good introduction to the broad strokes of Byzantine history. I remember the Heraclius episode being especially great.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Schadenboner posted:

I'll bet that's actually really interesting. Lots of WW1 and RCW stuff washing up against literal repeating crossbows and Tibetans with matchlocks?

If you're not aware Ian of forgotten weapons is kick-starting a book about domestic Chinese firearm production in the early 20th century. He's got a collection of Chinese made handguns which are mostly copies of European and American designs, and it seems to be his top obsession (possibly after overly engineered French rifles).

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

buglord posted:

Started listening to 99% Invisible again. What in the world happened to Roman Mars’ voice? He sounds pretty bad.

Huh. I see what you're saying. Dunno.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I paid for a month of wondery so I could listen to the new season of Tides of History about prehistory, and I have to admit I feel like none of it is sinking in.

I dunno if it's because the topics are so unfamiliar, or because he goes so fast, or because he's not actually as great at presenting information as I thought... But it's just like all these names of different peoples and eras flying by and I can't hold on to any of it. It's a shame because I think a lot of the research he's presenting is really cutting edge and interesting.

One thing I wish podcast hosts would do is spell out a word or name the first time it's mentioned, to help me get a grip on it, because sometimes they're just like random sounds.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Check the description for spellings and spend an hour hitting up wikipedia for the basics; I think you're absolutely right that there's a tipping point of unfamiliarity where it's all a blur. Or, more to the point, it'll make more sense the second or third time you're introduced to the material.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I found the first chunk of the prehistory to be impossible to focus on or retain any information from but once he switched to talking about the development of agriculture and societies in different locations it got a lot better and more interesting.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

fuf posted:

I paid for a month of wondery so I could listen to the new season of Tides of History about prehistory, and I have to admit I feel like none of it is sinking in.

I dunno if it's because the topics are so unfamiliar, or because he goes so fast, or because he's not actually as great at presenting information as I thought... But it's just like all these names of different peoples and eras flying by and I can't hold on to any of it. It's a shame because I think a lot of the research he's presenting is really cutting edge and interesting.

One thing I wish podcast hosts would do is spell out a word or name the first time it's mentioned, to help me get a grip on it, because sometimes they're just like random sounds.

This was my college major and after reading this I think you’re absolutely right. A lot of this assumes a bunch of familiarity on the subject matter and would likely drown me if it was my first exposure to anthropology/prehistory.

My only advice would to be accept that you’re gonna have to probably listen to the episodes a couple times over and piece things together. The Revolutions podcast felt similar because I know dick-all about 19th century/pre-WW1 20th Center history. I had to listen to the French Revolution series twice to figure out what was going on and retain the info. Eventually context began to emerge from the later episodes and the replaying of earlier ones. The podcast became more enjoyable when I realized it’s not gonna stick at first and it’s okay to be confused.

I know that’s not really optimal and is kind of a sucky answer but that’s been my experience with plenty of podcasts mentioned itt.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

As much as I love history podcasts and audiobooks, I also don't retain information as well as when I read it. For ones like Revolutions I usually wait until I have several built up to listen all at once, it's easier as a chunk instead of week to week.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Grand Fromage posted:

As much as I love history podcasts and audiobooks, I also don't retain information as well as when I read it. For ones like Revolutions I usually wait until I have several built up to listen all at once, it's easier as a chunk instead of week to week.

Yeah, I only really do multi-part histories as part of a playlist.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

GodFish posted:

I found the first chunk of the prehistory to be impossible to focus on or retain any information from but once he switched to talking about the development of agriculture and societies in different locations it got a lot better and more interesting.

It's funny because I'm kind of having the opposite problem. I thought the pre-civ stuff was fascinating to me, and the more it gets into dawn of civilization (though the explanation for the start of agriculture was legitimately really interesting), the more I'm like okay how far is this actually going?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Sinteres posted:

It's funny because I'm kind of having the opposite problem. I thought the pre-civ stuff was fascinating to me, and the more it gets into dawn of civilization (though the explanation for the start of agriculture was legitimately really interesting), the more I'm like okay how far is this actually going?

If I remember right he's going up to the Bronze Age Collapse, then starting a new series about the beginnings of Rome and China.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah I do the same, especially during covid I've taken to going on long drives basically just to listen to podcasts (and get out of the house).

But yeah when you're coming into a new period it's a bit of a mess. When I read Barbarian Migrations and the Roman West I had to keep notes on the side to really follow the narrative bits, too many people I'd never heard of.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
For Tides of History, check out the blog post he’s written for each episode on https://patrickwyman.substack.com - I’ve found it super helpful with a few images, maps, and even just seeing the names of things I’m unfamiliar with.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/HardcoreHistory/status/1402425206379974656

Probably in the minority but I have rather enjoyed the series.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I thought he did a good job explaining the Japanese perspective in a way we don't often hear when he is able to avoid going into dad—history mode (like the first 1 1/2 episodes)

Ill probably listen to this and get mad but hopefully he can pull it back in for the last episode.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I'm usually fine with him, but I take Carlin with a grain of salt after he sourced David Grossman on one of his previous episodes. AKA, the guy who helped invent the modern police state via bullshit he made up about human psychology.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I've always enjoyed his shows but the last one or two were really hard to get through, I almost stopped listening to the last one. Hopefully now that he's got this out of the way he can get away from modern stuff for a bit.

e: His history show, the politics/news/whatever podcast is unlistenable.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Digital Jedi posted:

Hey, it only took him 3 years.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
My hold on Storm Before The Storm from my local library just came up!

:woop:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Digital Jedi posted:

Oh cool. I can finally start it!

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

webmeister posted:

For Tides of History, check out the blog post he’s written for each episode on https://patrickwyman.substack.com - I’ve found it super helpful with a few images, maps, and even just seeing the names of things I’m unfamiliar with.

Thanks, this is a really good idea. He always mentions the substack but I'm usually listening in bed / while doing something else so it never occurred to me to actually look at it.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

fuf posted:

Thanks, this is a really good idea. He always mentions the substack but I'm usually listening in bed / while doing something else so it never occurred to me to actually look at it.

Yeah it's quite helpful. The text is usually pretty close to a transcript of the episode (or at least, close enough that I don't bother reading it), but he's usually got pictures of what he's talking about which can help immensely.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Appoda posted:

I'm usually fine with him, but I take Carlin with a grain of salt after he sourced David Grossman on one of his previous episodes. AKA, the guy who helped invent the modern police state via bullshit he made up about human psychology.

drat I didn't realize he did.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Just audibly groaned when Carlin described the 44 Burma campaign as a "joker card and introducing a little chaos" ugh.
Edit: "Disturbance in the allied force" :ughh:

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 9, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Appoda posted:

alot of people don't know his book about soldiers killing and stuff is mostly bullshit to some degree and i see it sorta quoted(mostly just the rifles not fired and the ww2 stuff) thrown around. also the weird "video games train ISIS and cartels and kids to shoot up schools". the dudes a really bad source and a bad person but most people just hear the one paragraph about the rifles and assume thats all there is.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dapper_Swindler posted:

alot of people don't know his book about soldiers killing and stuff is mostly bullshit to some degree and i see it sorta quoted(mostly just the rifles not fired and the ww2 stuff) thrown around. also the weird "video games train ISIS and cartels and kids to shoot up schools". the dudes a really bad source and a bad person but most people just hear the one paragraph about the rifles and assume thats all there is.

the solution to all of our problems is to have MORE military parades oh and PTSD only exists because people fail properly to worship soldiers.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I stopped in supernova... at some point. I liked the first episode and wish he'd kept the Japanese perspective.

I hope he does some distant past stuff next. Both King of Kings and Thor's Angels in really enjoyed.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

One of my many gripes with Grossman is that even if you accept his evidence and premises, his logic is batshit and monstrous.

"Human beings are really bad at killing and don't like to do it - here's some evidence for that"

ok, interesting - where are you going with this

"Let's break their brains so they become good at it because we have enemies"

:psypop:

Why are these enemies so good at killing, David?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Lawman 0 posted:

Just audibly groaned when Carlin described the 44 Burma campaign as a "joker card and introducing a little chaos" ugh.
Edit: "Disturbance in the allied force" :ughh:

Not so much “hardcore” history as “dad joke” history

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Count Roland posted:

I stopped in supernova... at some point. I liked the first episode and wish he'd kept the Japanese perspective.

I hope he does some distant past stuff next. Both King of Kings and Thor's Angels in really enjoyed.

I quit in part four when he tried to both-sides the issue of the Japanese internment camps. Don't really have any interest in finishing the series after that.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
On one hand it was a horrific act, but on the other hand those white farmers really wanted that land and also they were extremely racist, so who can say, really, what the right thing to do was

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I've really just started and while his Addendum stuff is wearing on me, I enjoyed the 20 minutes I've heard because I guess I find Carlin entertaining, but that's just it. He is not in the same category as Revolutions or Inward Empire or Fall of Civilizations. Amateur or not, those guys are historians and are doing a real job of it. Carlin is a pop historian and his stories can be entertaining and he does have a decent radio voice/style. I have come to the conclusion that he's hardly worth taking very seriously. His insight can be interesting, but I just think he knows how to tell a good story.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I've really just started and while his Addendum stuff is wearing on me, I enjoyed the 20 minutes I've heard because I guess I find Carlin entertaining, but that's just it. He is not in the same category as Revolutions or Inward Empire or Fall of Civilizations. Amateur or not, those guys are historians and are doing a real job of it. Carlin is a pop historian and his stories can be entertaining and he does have a decent radio voice/style. I have come to the conclusion that he's hardly worth taking very seriously. His insight can be interesting, but I just think he knows how to tell a good story.

Yes, he tells a good story. I don't expect anything more of him, really. It does keep me coming back though

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
The first episode of Supernova in the East was probably my favorite because it got me to understand why Japan declared on China and then the US. It provided a lot of context that I lacked and explained how a nation can get itself into a situation where the brakes don’t work and everyone is going down a path nobody has the stomach to swerve out of.

The destroyer of worlds episode was pretty neat when discussing the advent of nukes and the immediate problem with trying to ensure you maintain that monopoly on power. I’ll admit I am not super well read on Carlin’s sources and I didn’t catch the both-sidesing of things (unless this is from the new episode which I haven’t listened to it.)

I feel like you could do a lot worse than Carlin but he absolutely shouldn’t be the lone source of this stuff and should only be used as a springboard into other podcasts (CHP for instance when talking about Nanjing)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

buglord posted:

The first episode of Supernova in the East was probably my favorite because it got me to understand why Japan declared on China and then the US. It provided a lot of context that I lacked and explained how a nation can get itself into a situation where the brakes don’t work and everyone is going down a path nobody has the stomach to swerve out of.

The destroyer of worlds episode was pretty neat when discussing the advent of nukes and the immediate problem with trying to ensure you maintain that monopoly on power. I’ll admit I am not super well read on Carlin’s sources and I didn’t catch the both-sidesing of things (unless this is from the new episode which I haven’t listened to it.)

I feel like you could do a lot worse than Carlin but he absolutely shouldn’t be the lone source of this stuff and should only be used as a springboard into other podcasts (CHP for instance when talking about Nanjing)

yeah reading the history of japan and the politics and decisions leading up to invasions of china/SEAsia and then starting a fight with the US is fascinating. its very W Bush like and it ends up being the fascist equivalent imperial adventure of robbing peter to pay paul and so they end up in a bunch of sunk cost horror shows that they won't and "can't" withdraw from.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 9, 2021

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

buglord posted:

I’ll admit I am not super well read on Carlin’s sources and I didn’t catch the both-sidesing of things (unless this is from the new episode which I haven’t listened to it.)

His (paraphrased) stance was basically that it's easy to look back on Japanese internment as morally reprehensible, but doing so ignores the unfathomable sense of fear and paranoia among Americans after Pearl Harbor, so can we *really* so cleanly say the people who carried out and supported internment were bad?

Besides the answer being ABSO-loving-LUTELY he manages to undermine his own mealy-mouthed bullshit by making an offhand comment of "Now you could ask why we didn't also intern German-Americans and Italian-Americans", a thought if explored even a little bit reveals that the truth is that climate of fear was exploited by those in power to pursue racist policy that ultimately benefited a lot of rich white people. But instead of exploring it he just drops it immediate and goes back to his "maybe the truth is in the middle" garbage.

I'm generally able to just roll my eyes at Carlin's politics and move on, but it was such an ignorant and reprehensible take I haven't been able to pick up HH since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Sydin posted:

Besides the answer being ABSO-loving-LUTELY he manages to undermine his own mealy-mouthed bullshit by making an offhand comment of "Now you could ask why we didn't also intern German-Americans and Italian-Americans", a thought if explored even a little bit reveals that the truth is that climate of fear was exploited by those in power to pursue racist policy that ultimately benefited a lot of rich white people

There's even a corollary to that just from a few weeks ago in Canada, where Trudeau apologized for the country having "interned Italian-Canadians" during WWII.

In context, Canada interned a few hundred Italians, who were all either Italian government and military officials or active fascist supporters, and the push for an apology to "the Italian-Canadian community" came from far-right groups trying to get fascists rehabilitated.