Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

flakeloaf posted:

Dude was allegedly a CFL player. Some of those guys come in at 250 pounds, like this Chris Larsen guy, a random CFL player I chose completely at random

this entered my mind too. dudes like that often hang out together so they can be pricks together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I've never been physically assaulted, but as someone who has had human being screamed at them on multiple occasions when out with my partner, not a lot of people are willing to step in even to that. It's not very surprising to me that no one wanted to get in the way of a bunch of violent thugs, especially since it was night in a park so there were probably not that many people around.

It's just the way things are, you never really know if the people around you might be the kind that will just flip out if you read as gay. :shrug:

E: VVV Lol, that in particular doesn't surprise me though. Cops don't give a poo poo at all about homophobic attacks and hate crimes.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

infernal machines posted:

What the gently caress? How does that happen in Toronto in 2021?

I mean in the sense of "How was there not a group of other Torontonians around to step in and if necessary tune up the aggressors?". The mind boggles.

According to the gofundme:

quote:

In short, David and a friend found themselves in danger when they were outnumbered by a group of folks (approx 5+) shouting and hurling homophobic slurs at them until things reached a boiling point, which compelled the attackers to become violent, leaving David incapacitated and in need of serious medical attention.

There were apparently bystanders, INCLUDING the police, who made a shallow attempt at calming tempers. We're working on getting testimonies from those at the scene of this crime. It's maddening to think that during PRIDE MONTH, we still have to watch our backs in areas like Hanlan's that have served as an enclave and safe haven for the queer community for as long as some of us can remember.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Beelzebufo posted:

I've never been physically assaulted, but as someone who has had human being screamed at them on multiple occasions when out with my partner, not a lot of people are willing to step in even to that. It's not very surprising to me that no one wanted to get in the way of a bunch of violent thugs, especially since it was night in a park so there were probably not that many people around.

It's just the way things are, you never really know if the people around you might be the kind that will just flip out if you read as gay. :shrug:

E: VVV Lol, that in particular doesn't surprise me though. Cops don't give a poo poo at all about homophobic attacks and hate crimes.

yup

i’m still uncomfortable being around a large group of straight people, especially men, until i know them reasonably well. you can never trust how they’re going to turn out.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Another Bill posted:

1) Glad that's getting some press attention, its been floating around social media for a few days.

2) Straight people def. go to Hanlans Point, not sure what that person is on about.

There’s a lot of privileged cis gay men circling the wagons on this one, that it’s unacceptable and completely unusual for Toronto. You know, because they’ve been targeted for once and they don’t pay attention to the poo poo that happens to queers outside their little circle.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Tippecanoe posted:

According to the gofundme:

FML. Of course TPS did nothing.

Gee golly guys, I wonder why you're not invited to march in uniform anymore.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So Pallister's surefire scheme to get Winkler morons vaccinated is to bribe people with lottery winnings. Joss Reimer and Botha, the provincial vaccine leads, are not fans and today said that they would prefer to encourage vaccinations is to increase supply and educate the population.

Also is there any connection between Manitoba Lottery President Manny Atwal and Dr. Jazz Atwal?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Could just be a common last name. Like Smith or Rempel for a Manitoba angle.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Small sample size, but it's PEI.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-poll-king-quaterly-june-2021-1.6053530

quote:

Satisfaction with the performance of P.E.I. Premier Dennis King and the PC government took a slight dip but remains high, according to the latest quarterly poll by Narrative Research released Wednesday.

Over eight in 10 Islanders, about 86 per cent, are satisfied with the performance of the provincial government, down from 90 per cent in February.

"These high satisfaction levels are undoubtedly linked to the public's strong support for the King government's handling of the pandemic," said Margaret Brigley, Narrative Research's CEO in a news release.

"In the coming months, satisfaction levels will reflect how the government manages the province's economic recovery plan."

Intentions of decided voters remain similar to what they were three months ago. The poll shows the PCs maintain the lead in support at 53 per cent, followed by the Greens at 23 per cent, the Liberal Party at nine per cent and the NDP at four per cent.

Narrative Research said the overall margin of error for decided votes is within five percentage points, based on a sample size of 384.

The poll shows overall 26 per cent of Island respondents are undecided in who they would vote for if an election was held today.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sorry, it was a joke about PEI being excluded from the list of provinces. "Where?" referring to PEI itself

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I hate linking chuds here but this guys is basically the press office for Ford.

https://twitter.com/brianlilley/status/1402704399932309506

Can't wait to get spammed with bullshit Ontario Proud ads once they overturn this.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

UnknownMercenary posted:

Can't wait to get spammed with bullshit Ontario Proud ads once they overturn this.

Should have went with a picture of Doug mask off imo.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

infernal machines posted:

Sorry, it was a joke about PEI being excluded from the list of provinces. "Where?" referring to PEI itself

Only registered members can see post attachments!

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Arcsquad12 posted:

educate the population

People who have never been to rural Manitoba spotted.

EDIT -- actually, they could spend some money to make billboards with an image of Trudeau that says "TRUDEAU URGES YOU TO NOT GET VACCINATED" and put them up all around Winkler and Steinbach and the other wastelands and then 100% of rural Manitoba would be vaccinated in about 24-48 hours.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 9, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

InfiniteZero posted:

People who have never been to rural Manitoba spotted.

I didn't say it would work, I said that Reimer didn't like the Premier's approach via bribery.

I have a friend outside of Steinbach who gives me up to date tomfoolery from the rural crazies. I can experience the rural Manitoba vicariously through him.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
gently caress but can those austerity goblins in the MB legislature seem to find millions of dollars laying around for anything BUT teachers or nurses.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
So I'm hearing if there's a federal election this summer/fall barring something like a 4th wave the Liberals are probably gonna gain seats just cuz everyone is getting their doses and re-opening is happening. It's just a matter of if they get a majority or not.

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016

NZAmoeba posted:

I just did a survey on the government's plan on the Sask river delta area. Sounds like someone wants to try and justify some "economic development" by destroying another vital habitat. Also very surprised to get this considering I've never been in Sask and am currently in Montreal, it explained the survey was taking responses from across the country.

This survey is all pretty awful. I wonder if this is related to the giant irrigation project the Sask Party is planning? I don’t know enough about the topic. Thanks for sharing.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

oh no keystone xl is dead oh golly oh shucks

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

UnknownMercenary posted:

This? This is what they've decided is worth Ontario's first ever use of the notwithstanding clause?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I thought they used the notwithstanding clause a few years back to break up the teacher strikes.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It's no Toronto ward redistricting, that's for sure.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

IIRC every other time Ontario threatened to use the clause they never had to due to bills being dropped or judicial rulings being reversed.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I wonder if we can use this to gently caress the fed conservatives when they advertise against Trudeau as Ford and the Ontario conservatives have shown they are aligned with this message and that makes the federal conservatives a third party message in the province of Ontario

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

In fact. On the radio the provincial PCs are targeting ads against Trudeau himself and not “the federal government” so they themselves are acting as a third party in a potential federal election within the province of Ontario

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I wonder if we can use this to gently caress the fed conservatives when they advertise against Trudeau as Ford and the Ontario conservatives have shown they are aligned with this message and that makes the federal conservatives a third party message in the province of Ontario

they definitely seemed to collar ford last time so the fed party seems to thing his inanity? insanity? can affect them

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah last time they brought Kenney to campaign in Ontario because Ford is absolutely toxic to the federal cons.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Noblesse Obliged posted:

That kinda happened before, Ford totally hosed the federal tories in Ontario

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/WSOnlineNews/status/1402776678888210433

Ah yes, this is cherry-on-top-Kenney-Gossip

also seems to have broken their servers with how fast people have clicked https://twitter.com/WSOnlineNews/status/1402782294998347777

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm curious who Western Standard's leak is in the UCP. Kenney has so many enemies in his caucus it could be anyone

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ouch

I guess you're in good company with New Zeland

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/CANADALAND/status/1402721610872852480

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJbmB9k2Y88

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Arcsquad12 posted:

So Pallister's surefire scheme to get Winkler morons vaccinated is to bribe people with lottery winnings. Joss Reimer and Botha, the provincial vaccine leads, are not fans and today said that they would prefer to encourage vaccinations is to increase supply and educate the population.

Also is there any connection between Manitoba Lottery President Manny Atwal and Dr. Jazz Atwal?

They should just bribe them with weed, like Washington State.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Lmao you aren't gonna get a pile of mennos to take a vaccine by offering them pot.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I was thinking earlier today about the religious nut Boers at my work who ranted about how the pandemic was fake and vaccines are poo poo, so I did some reading about that history and now I'm more depressed than I was before and also, wouldn't it be great if we did away with Christianity? Maybe not everyone to begin with, we could start with eliminating Calvinism and see how that works out as a start.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Yeah the Dutch Reformed Church played a key role in promoting Afrikaner nationalism and from there Apartheid.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PT6A posted:

I was thinking earlier today about the religious nut Boers at my work who ranted about how the pandemic was fake and vaccines are poo poo, so I did some reading about that history and now I'm more depressed than I was before and also, wouldn't it be great if we did away with Christianity? Maybe not everyone to begin with, we could start with eliminating Calvinism and see how that works out as a start.

Yeah, lets eliminate that religion and culture. Sure, every other attempt at removing religion and culture the majority didn't like has gone catastrophically, but maybe this time will be different.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Some sort of revolution, of culture. A cultural revolution, if you will.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Society is a finely woven mesh of different cults.

Also LOL at western standard with another scoop. This was the rumor for a while.

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Drunk Canuck posted:

https://twitter.com/WSOnlineNews/status/1402776678888210433

Ah yes, this is cherry-on-top-Kenney-Gossip

also seems to have broken their servers with how fast people have clicked https://twitter.com/WSOnlineNews/status/1402782294998347777

Imagine having your very own private Earls. What a drat dreamlife