Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yes absolutely

Yeah it was getting bad even a few years ago on E90 post. F30 post is already trending that direction as people pick up base model cars and want to make it look fast go fast without much in the way of maintenance or understanding. No a 320/328/330 won't be as fast as a 335/340 why are you dropping 5k on an exhaust and customer bumper jfc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
BMW Thread: People are spending three grand on wraps instead of rod bearings

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Serious post: M3s should only be sold to people over the age of 30. People under 30 should be able to drive FWD hatchbacks ONLY.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Serious post: M3s should only be sold to people over the age of 30. People under 30 should be able to drive FWD hatchbacks ONLY.

So a 17 year old zipping around in a slammed Type R with a straight pipe is cool though?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KillHour posted:

So a 17 year old zipping around in a slammed Type R with a straight pipe is cool though?

Not a hatchback. :smug:

Ugh, wait. At least not the good looking one. :colbert:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Not a hatchback. :smug:

Ugh, wait. At least not the good looking one. :colbert:

Nobody said 17 year olds had good taste.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Alarbus posted:

Yeah it was getting bad even a few years ago on E90 post. F30 post is already trending that direction as people pick up base model cars and want to make it look fast go fast without much in the way of maintenance or understanding. No a 320/328/330 won't be as fast as a 335/340 why are you dropping 5k on an exhaust and customer bumper jfc.

From my experience the E87 118d is the car of choice for someone who spends all their money on mods, doesn’t maintain it properly and usually drives like an idiot.

Given they have the infamous N47 engine you can guess what usually happens.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Residency Evil posted:

My first two cars were a mkv GTI and then my most recent car a 3rd gen mazda3 (yes hatch). I turn 31 this year and now want to pay through the moon for an E91, not even an M. heh

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

G8x tech documents are out:
https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2620668&d=1622934458

And with that, the first "mod" every single person is going to do:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

KillHour posted:

G8x tech documents are out:
https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2620668&d=1622934458

And with that, the first "mod" every single person is going to do:

Is it a mod if they “fall off” or get “lost”?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Never really had an affinity for "classic"-tier cars (outside of the 850csi I got to drive in 20 years ago because an S1 officer on our base had appropriated a defunct hangar as his private garage and took me out for a spin), but now that the BMW classic channel seems to plan to unveil some more "fairly recent" concept designs, I might throw them a subscription for the occasional fix of crossover-insanity and hilarious design features.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YIxCBtoh3c

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

Is it a mod if they “fall off” or get “lost”?

I'm too lazy to photoshop the BMW logo over Gene Wilder in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as he says "no... don't..." so pretend that's what I did.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

In addition to exploding runflat tires I now have a "Drivetrain Malfunction". My CPO warranty is good until the end of the month but they have no openings until the 17th, and, of course, no loaners.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

In addition to exploding runflat tires I now have a "Drivetrain Malfunction". My CPO warranty is good until the end of the month but they have no openings until the 17th, and, of course, no loaners.

Is that the dealer you bought it from? If so, push a little harder on the loaner, I didn't get offered much when I brought in a car I bought elsewhere, but when I bought one from them they always have a loaner, even if it's a Corolla from their Toyota dealership.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Drivetrain malfunction can be a million things. It might even be related to your blowout. Try to pull the codes and as the other person said, push harder on the dealership.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Alarbus posted:

Is that the dealer you bought it from? If so, push a little harder on the loaner, I didn't get offered much when I brought in a car I bought elsewhere, but when I bought one from them they always have a loaner, even if it's a Corolla from their Toyota dealership.

I did buy it from them. And now that you mention it, this place has 14 total dealerships under the same ownership group, surely they can find something for me to drive. I will push!

fknlo posted:

Drivetrain malfunction can be a million things. It might even be related to your blowout. Try to pull the codes and as the other person said, push harder on the dealership.

About a week ago it stalled at a stop sign, which although strange, seemed to be an isolated incident. As far as the blowout, I am currently running my snow tires/wheels on the front axle, and my all seasons on the back axle while I wait for the new tire. Maybe that's enough to throw things off. I'll see if I can borrow a code reader at Autozone or something.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

I did buy it from them. And now that you mention it, this place has 14 total dealerships under the same ownership group, surely they can find something for me to drive. I will push!

About a week ago it stalled at a stop sign, which although strange, seemed to be an isolated incident. As far as the blowout, I am currently running my snow tires/wheels on the front axle, and my all seasons on the back axle while I wait for the new tire. Maybe that's enough to throw things off. I'll see if I can borrow a code reader at Autozone or something.

uhhh, are the snows and the all seasons the same size? This ends up being rather important

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Alarbus posted:

uhhh, are the snows and the all seasons the same size? This ends up being rather important

Yes, both are 205/50-17.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

It's throwing code p1290 which seems to be either cylinder head temperature gauge or electronic wastegate malfunction.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

It's throwing code p1290 which seems to be either cylinder head temperature gauge or electronic wastegate malfunction.

If you don't feel like waiting, you could always try this. It's like 15 minutes of work and it may fix the issue. It seems fairly common for the cylinder head temp sensor to go bad and the symptoms sound exactly like what you described.

https://www.bmwrepairguide.com/n20-cylinder-head-temperature-sensor-replacement/

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

kronix posted:

If you don't feel like waiting, you could always try this. It's like 15 minutes of work and it may fix the issue. It seems fairly common for the cylinder head temp sensor to go bad and the symptoms sound exactly like what you described.

https://www.bmwrepairguide.com/n20-cylinder-head-temperature-sensor-replacement/

Ordinarily I'd definitely try that, but since I have 2 weeks left on my CPO Warranty may as well try to take advantage of it.

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

Fun M-tax story: my M4 hasn't been driven in a while and the battery completely discharged. BMW wants $2,400 to replace it, and the best part, they have no visibility on ever getting a replacement battery. They said it could be a month or more. :thumbsup:

e: Has anyone had success contacting BMWNA about something like this?

Leo fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 9, 2021

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Leo posted:

Fun M-tax story: my M4 hasn't been driven in a while and the battery completely discharged. BMW wants $2,400 to replace it, and the best part, they have no visibility on ever getting a replacement battery. They said it could be a month or more. :thumbsup:

because racecar

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lmao

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

$2400 for a battery :wtc:

I thought the battery coding scam was bad enough but what the hell is that battery made of

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
what do you think BMW NA is gonna do about it

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Do they use Li-po batteries in M4s now to save weight/space? Only thing I can think of but I don't think you can completely discharge those to the point where they have to be replaced so that doesn't make sense either

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what do you think BMW NA is gonna do about it

I have no idea, but it's crazy to me that the li-po battery is dead after one discharge and there's no replacement available from BMW.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I'm astounded it's $2400, did it damage anything on discharge or attempt to recharge? Also the inability to find any replacement battery is a bit bizarre.

Holy poo poo, the EAS sale page for the aftermarket battery does state that the OEM one is $1800! Uh, maybe just go aftermarket? https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1809127

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

Alarbus posted:

I'm astounded it's $2400, did it damage anything on discharge or attempt to recharge? Also the inability to find any replacement battery is a bit bizarre.

Holy poo poo, the EAS sale page for the aftermarket battery does state that the OEM one is $1800! Uh, maybe just go aftermarket? https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1809127

Oh wow, thank you for this. Sounds like this might be the way to go...

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Leo posted:

Oh wow, thank you for this. Sounds like this might be the way to go...

That post goes through all the steps, but if you DIY it, you'll need to register the new battery. EAS put those steps are in that post as well.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Buy a fuckin liteblox. Literally the best battery on earth for… half the price lol

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Lmao I am never buy a BMW newer than my e36.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

rscott posted:

Do they use Li-po batteries in M4s now to save weight/space? Only thing I can think of but I don't think you can completely discharge those to the point where they have to be replaced so that doesn't make sense either

They do. You’re looking at $1-1.5k for an aftermarket one because it’s still going to have to go to a shop for coding.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

fknlo posted:

They do. You’re looking at $1-1.5k for an aftermarket one because it’s still going to have to go to a shop for coding.

lol what kind of garbage power regulation do they use that would allow the battery to discharge to unrecoverable levels?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

User Error posted:

Lmao I am never buy a BMW newer than my e36e46.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

rscott posted:

lol what kind of garbage power regulation do they use that would allow the battery to discharge to unrecoverable levels?

No clue, but the car sitting for long enough to drain the battery is absolutely a killer for them. It’s something I knew about before buying the car but it’s definitely not common knowledge.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

fknlo posted:

Just buy a $75 adapter and BimmerCode and you can register a battery. That’s what I’ve done when BMW wanted to change me $500.

The funny part is that BimmerCode + adapter + battery was close to $500 but at least I can do it myself now.

Those batteries in the M4 are supposed to last 10 years if they’re regularly driven which would make it *almost* worth it at the rate my BMWs have eaten batteries.

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

Update: I told them I'm taking the car back and they told me they are now suddenly going to "air freight" the only "known M3/M4 battery in existence" from Germany overnight and they took a lot off of the amount I quoted. Fun times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wow, sucks that no M4 can ever replace its battery again now.