Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
My fun glue story was getting a load of glue into an open wound caused by assembling my old ful metal bloodthirster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I completely forgot that I recently spilled a good dollop of UV resin for 3d printing on my arm. Not super great in itself, but while I was grabbing some paper towels, the sunlight from my skylight hit it. I got a small burn and had a lovely time getting the semi cured stuff off.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Wrr posted:

What is Nuln Oil and why does every talk about it? Is it just a wash, like these army painter washes I have?

In fact Army Painter Dark Tone is intended to exactly match Nuln Oil.

AP Light and AP strong tones were originally matches for the old GW brown and sepia washes but I think the formulas(and names) for those changed some time ago.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

Electric Hobo posted:

I completely forgot that I recently spilled a good dollop of UV resin for 3d printing on my arm. Not super great in itself, but while I was grabbing some paper towels, the sunlight from my skylight hit it. I got a small burn and had a lovely time getting the semi cured stuff off.

Yeesh. Spilling paint is a nuisance, but resin is scary stuff.

Also for those of you with a 3d printer I printed a bunch of these: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3421696 and now I fear tipping my nuln oil slightly less.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Cooked Auto posted:

Had a loctite tube of glue explode on my fingers once from a burst in a seam, that was fun. Had spend a while scraping it off with a knife after dunking my hand in cold water.

I heard somewhere, no idea if that's true, that if you put salt on superglue it melts or something. I never dared to tried, it sounds like a fake likehack.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Nuln Oil owns. I’m taking a break from my Thousand Sons and have started working on my soft reboot Necron army.

Very pleased with how they’re turning out so far, just waiting for the paint to finish curing and I’ll varnish them.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Furism posted:

I heard somewhere, no idea if that's true, that if you put salt on superglue it melts or something. I never dared to tried, it sounds like a fake likehack.

That one is certainly new to me. If I ever get another tube exploding in my hands I might give it a try.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I liked nuln oil for a long time then I got a bottle of Vallejo Metal Color - Jet Exhaust. It looks exactly like leadbelcher with a coat of nuln oil, but only way better because the pigments are smaller. If you look at the Bjorn/dread I posted a little while ago that's straight up just Jet Exhaust then edge highlighted with Chrome on the weapon bits, and the legs are just straight jet exhaust with no highlights because I'm lazy and not meticulously highlighting something no one but me will see.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Oh yeah I do the same things on the Space Marines backpack exhaust things all the time. But I use Pale Burnt Metal for the highlights, I think I'll pick up a bottle of Chrome to see if that looks better.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Bucnasti posted:

AP Light and AP strong tones were originally matches for the old GW brown and sepia washes but I think the formulas(and names) for those changed some time ago.

AP actually added the synonyms Soft and Dark to their wash lineup. I thought they'd just changed the formula on me, but the old ones are still produced.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I've changed my mind on nuln oil as of late. It works especially well in speed-painting situations since it applies so thinly, and the effect it has is subtle but works especially well with dark metals, tinting greys and I find it very useful when painting golds over dark colors.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
My second hand gobbos, well, not all of them had hands. So after making some hook hands, the unit is now a stranded pirate crew. But they lacked a certain something....

The squig is sculpted from scratch using green stuff. Now they'll look the part as they melt after the first panic test!

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
My glue story: I take my glasses off to paint and do other hobby stuff. One time, when I was prepping a tiny man, I managed to get a big glob of super glue right in the middle of a lens and didn't notice until it had already cured. Luckily, I lived walking distance from a shop that sold solvent.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

that is a fine looking squid, good job

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I've discovered the secret to making metallic red so I ended up with these guys:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I finally got around to finishing the Reaper Bones Peryton I did a mini-contrast tutorial with, as well as another painted in exactly the same way (but with different colors):

They join my original Peryton, painted a little over a year ago June 8th, 2020? Holy poo poo, a year ago almost exactly.

And a Reaper Bones Skeletal Manticore. Oddly enough, the body is PVC but the wings were hard (but not especially strong-feeling) plastic, so this is the most fragile Reaper mini I've ever owned.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 10, 2021

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I've discovered the secret to making metallic red so I ended up with these guys:

KAAANEEEEDAAAAAA!

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Jonny Nox posted:

KAAANEEEEDAAAAAA!

Beat me to it

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

lilljonas posted:

My second hand gobbos, well, not all of them had hands. So after making some hook hands, the unit is now a stranded pirate crew. But they lacked a certain something....

The squig is sculpted from scratch using green stuff. Now they'll look the part as they melt after the first panic test!

owns.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

a pale ghost posted:

that is a fine looking squid, good job

Thanks! Going back to my teenage dream of a painted greenskin army is wreaking havoc on my historical painting though. It's very fun. :P

Anyone have a good idea for basing? I'm thinking about something a little bit more interesting than just brown dirt, but still not extreme a la special resin bases.

Spectral Elvis
Jul 23, 2007

Quick paint question, as I'm looking at getting back into painting figures.

I've been doing scale modelling for years, and have a load of paint I use for airbrushing (mostly Tamiya, Vallejo model air, and Mr Hobby Color) - are any of these realistically suitable, or am I better off starting over?

Currently looking at Vallejo model color as an alternative - assuming I'd have no issues using this over Mr Surfacer?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Nothing wrong with using non GW or AP paints.
On my current project I'm using Vallejo Model Colours as well as a Model Master paint alongside my Citadel ones.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Spectral Elvis posted:

I've been doing scale modelling for years, and have a load of paint I use for airbrushing (mostly Tamiya, Vallejo model air, and Mr Hobby Color) - are any of these realistically suitable, or am I better off starting over?

Currently looking at Vallejo model color as an alternative - assuming I'd have no issues using this over Mr Surfacer?
your vma paints should be perfect for brushing onto minis.

if you for whatever reason want an entirely separate set of paints for your minis, i think this vallejo game color beginner set is hard to beat:

https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/product/hobby/sets/basic-en/introduction-72299/

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Spectral Elvis posted:

I paint primarily with vallejo. Some of the model air paints are a tad on the watery side for painting with brushes, but the model colours are great and I use Vallejo Panzer Aces paints for a ton of both historical and fantasy painting. No need to think about starting from scratch, just think of it as branching out your model painting tools. You'll have use of the more brush-friendly paints for scale model painting, and you'll have toooons of use of airbrushing skills and paints for miniatures painting.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Painted this guy up in about 2 hours using mostly contrast paints. I was trying the "en grisaille" method that NOT JUST MECHAAA recently did a video on, where the general idea is that you prime black, use gray to add light sources,, and then value sketch finer details with lighter gray to white before applying contrast paints. I think it went fairly well although I realized I have a lot to learn about how to place highlights and add texture. Marco makes it look so easy but he's a drat genius.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

Mikey Purp posted:

"en grisaille" method

Did you find that this made a big difference? Ive been looking into this but it feels like its going to get the same effects as a zenithal but with more steps.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Mikey Purp posted:

Painted this guy up in about 2 hours using mostly contrast paints. I was trying the "en grisaille" method that NOT JUST MECHAAA recently did a video on, where the general idea is that you prime black, use gray to add light sources,, and then value sketch finer details with lighter gray to white before applying contrast paints. I think it went fairly well although I realized I have a lot to learn about how to place highlights and add texture. Marco makes it look so easy but he's a drat genius.

That looks really good to me for a first attempt at that style. That video has been on my list of techniques to try, it looks very interesting.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Dooooope.

Also how is a Cyber-Armed Goro not a thing that Mortal Kombat has done yet??!

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Two Headed Calf posted:

Did you find that this made a big difference? Ive been looking into this but it feels like its going to get the same effects as a zenithal but with more steps.

It's a subtle but definitely noticeable difference. Building up to pure white highlights where you want them seems to add more definition than a standard zenithal. It also seems much more powerful in cases where you want to have multiple lightsources on the model, do a lot of OSL, or anything other than the standard top-down lighting of zenithal.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Spectral Elvis posted:

Styrene is styrene, if it worked on plastic scale models it will work on GW miniatures and most plastic minis.
There are a few exceptions for other brands, like you have to be careful what type of spray primer you use on Reaper Bones.
Resin models might have problems with solvent based paints/primers I would test anything on spare resin bits before committing to an expensive model.

The formulation of Vallejo Model color and Vallejo Game color is exactly the same, the only difference is what colors are available in each range, and in some cases just the names are different.

Padical
Nov 29, 2004
I've been working on a speedwaagh! The ork buggies are easily the funnest models I've painted, and I'm pretty happy with my work so far. Also, excuse my bad lighting in these photos. I'm working on getting a better setup for taking photos.

Edit: drat, zooming in with a camera sure does reveal the little mistakes I've made, haha.

Padical fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 10, 2021

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Anyone know if / tried Testors ELO for stripping models? I did a quick test on a blade guard I had laying around, soak the mini for about 15 seconds, took it out and gently used a toothbrush and it slid off. The one on the left had the same base coat as the right one. Then one on the right looks a little wet since I rinsed of the residue. Theres still some stuff remaining in the cracks of the model but I think another quick dunk and light brushing could get it off. Its obviously WAY more expensive than 99% IPA but the ease of use was stunning, just wondering if it will totally melt the models :v:/.
https://www.testors.com/en/product-catalog/testors-brands/model-master/primers-top-coats-thinners-cleaners/paint-and-decal-remover

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Dunk some sprue in it and come back in a day.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I'm looking to get back into painting after some time off. I don't particularly care what I paint to start out as long as it's some kind of fantasy mini that I might one day use in a D&D game as the DM. I've seen quite a few bundles where you can buy a bunch of old minis that someone else has painted (poorly) for cheap, and I was wondering if I do go that route, if it's feasible to strip them back with turpentine or some other method before re-painting them.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Been working on finishing some mostly done projects this week. Got my Blood Ravens bikers done complete with their totally not "liberated" bikes

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

PotatoManJack posted:

I'm looking to get back into painting after some time off. I don't particularly care what I paint to start out as long as it's some kind of fantasy mini that I might one day use in a D&D game as the DM. I've seen quite a few bundles where you can buy a bunch of old minis that someone else has painted (poorly) for cheap, and I was wondering if I do go that route, if it's feasible to strip them back with turpentine or some other method before re-painting them.

You can certainly do that, but if you just want cheap minis for D&D you might as well go with Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures. $5 will in most cases get you two pre-primed minis. They’re a great way to start out (or ease back into) painting to make sure you really want to keep going with it.

If you do go and buy some old painted minis and need to strip them, I’ve had great luck with LA’s Totally Awesome, which you can get at dollar stores.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

PotatoManJack posted:

Nothing wrong with buying cheap and stripping paint back off, you can get some great bargains doing that. Its how I buy a significant portion of my models! Theres a variety of ways of doing it, whats best depends on where you are in the world (eg SimpleGreen is a common recommendation in the US, but its less commonly available in the UK/also not cheap, personally I use denatured alcohol/methylated spirits, some people like 99% ethanol and so on) and to a slightly lesser extent what the minis are made of (there are chemicals that strip paint off metal figures like nobodies business but also would melt plastic figures for example, but they arent usually the common recommendations anyway. You used to get people insisting on using stuff like brake fluid which... I cant deny it works, but in much the same way that I'd agree that sticking your hand in a meatgrinder works to remove a hangnail).

If you have a ultrasonic cleaner it makes things much faster, but is absolutely not required and I'm going to assume you dont. Dump the figures in a jar, cover with the solvent of choice (if you are worried about the solvent start with one figure you care least about as a test) leave for... some time. Depends on the solvent. Couple of hours, overnight, whatever. Fish a figure out, put in on a piece of kitchen towel, scrub with a toothbrush. Probably wearing rubber gloves would be best practice. If there is still paint left that doesnt want to come off, back in the jar it goes. Once its clean as its going to get (there may be some stubborn primer in recesses, but its not noticeable once you've painted the figure. I picked up a pack of interdental brushes to see if I can use them to get to places I cant reach with a regular brush or a toothpick, but havent stripped anything since. They are absolutely not necessary.) give it a quick rinse with some water and let it dry. Then take the toothbrush you've been using and either bin it or keep it with your solvent for next time. Do not use it on your teeth.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Speaking of stripping minis, I bought a redemptor off a guy at one of my LGSs and need to strip it. I bought a gallon of simple green and a five gallon bucket at home Depot. I plan on letting it soak with a lid on for like 36 hours (put in Friday afternoon take out Sunday morning) in my garage which gets kinda hot this time of year. Then I'm going to scrub it down with a cheap toothbrush and sink water. Then let it sit for a few days before painting it again.

Any other tips or things to be careful of?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm getting into Age of Sigmar with the new edition, and I've got a Liberator I'm going to use as a test model. I'm thinking of a Copper/Red scheme (I'm thinking of doing a Stormhost of Paladins of the Common Man, basically) and I was wondering a) if that sounds like a good idea and b) what colour primer should I be using. I have Wraithbone, Chaos Black, Grey Seer, Leadbelcher and an Army Painter Brown.

I'm thinking of nabbing the DarkStar copper triad for the army proper, but for my test model I'm using Vallejo Hammered Copper (72.059). I'm thinking of going with Red Terracotta (72.772) for the red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

PotatoManJack posted:

You could, but having done so a few times there are cheaper and better ways to get a bunch of minis that won't involve having to buy cleaning solutions and scrubbing away with a toothbrush. I had a moment when I was scrubbing a $2 reaper bones mini for the second time and thinking I would happily pay $2 not to be doing what I was doing.

If you want a bunch of D&D minis, look up the adventure series board games. Game quality generally went up as time went by but mini quality took a nose dive. So if you were looking for minis, I'd suggest Ravenloft, Ashardalon or Drizzt, all of which regularly go on sale on Amazon for $30-40 and give a good variety of figures. Miniature Market also routinely throws the latest would be Games Workshop competitor's mini game on sale after it invariably flames out. Look for things made by CMON and you can expect okayish figures.