Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

willroc7 posted:

I’ve done the thing. I had to drive it home through torrential downpours, making for some white knuckling, but I made it. The airbag light cleared during the PPI has not come back and the mechanic thought the tires have 5-10k more in them so… the car is perfect and needs nothing?
Congratulations!

Mine should be picked up tomorrow evening or Friday and start it's 2400+ mile journey across the country.

edit: Well crap driver thinks the car is too low to load safely

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Nice looking 996!

My 993 is getting picked up this weekend for a trip to our new home, the land of mountains, home of Pike's Peak and tacky home renovations. :ohdear:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Needed to replace a coolant pipe to use the proper new updated hose (only one available) for mine and picked one up from a private guy in BC that did an engine swap.

I'll give him credit for unique tube packing and Canada Post not destroying it. About 30" long for scale.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Willroc, this guy crunched 996 pricing and verifies what you saw in the market.
Fewer cars for sale and significant price increases

https://youtu.be/UCo706godyM

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Interesting. I didn't know the 996 and 997 had increased so much more than other, similar cars.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Do the '99 996 coupes not have a rear tether anchor for a rear car seat? After some substantial googling I found a single post stating that, while the '00-02 cars seem to have one underneath the rear deck carpet that you need to cut into to access. I'm thinking about calling up the dealer to see if they can add one...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Dude didn't include the owners manual? I'll take a look in mine for you. If there is one it should say.

If not I'll look in my Bentley or Porsche PET if I can find anything.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

slidebite posted:

Dude didn't include the owners manual? I'll take a look in mine for you. If there is one it should say.

If not I'll look in my Bentley or Porsche PET if I can find anything.

I'll check the manual! Good thinking, lol.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

willroc7 posted:

Do the '99 996 coupes not have a rear tether anchor for a rear car seat? After some substantial googling I found a single post stating that, while the '00-02 cars seem to have one underneath the rear deck carpet that you need to cut into to access. I'm thinking about calling up the dealer to see if they can add one...

Our local car seat installation expert swears by using belts instead of LATCH. Looking online, it seems like this is a pretty common stance, so I wouldn't go to any big trouble to try and get access to LATCH anchors when you have a locking belt.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

wzm posted:

Our local car seat installation expert swears by using belts instead of LATCH. Looking online, it seems like this is a pretty common stance, so I wouldn't go to any big trouble to try and get access to LATCH anchors when you have a locking belt.

I'm talking about the rear tether point, not the LATCH connectors under the seat. The 996 does not have LATCH so I will be using the seat belt. My 5 year old is 42lbs and 43" tall, so he needs to be in front facing convertible seat or a booster, preferably with a 5 point harness still. As far as I understand it, both of those need a rear tether in addition to the seat belt.

Edit: manual shows them but only for the Canadian coupe model. Guess I should have bought a Canadian car! gently caress lol.

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 10, 2021

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Fitting anything beyond the thinnest booster won't work anyways. The only ones I'm aware of are the harmony and cosco wedge shaped boosters or their clones but even then you might have to thermoform the arms in a little.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

At 46 lbs (I think you said Willroc) does the kid even need a booster in that seat? This has more to do with where the seatbelt falls across the shoulder than anything else. As those seats are near uselessly small, this may be their actual design size.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I have a radian R100 that will fit decently well enough but it needs the rear tether. At the very least he needs a backless booster to get the seat belt down from around his neck. I'm reaching out to the 2 local dealers to see if they can help with adding an anchor point. If not, I'll probably get a high back booster that uses just the seat belt.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

This is more of an academic question, based on this discussion. Typically a 5 point harness is advised against for adults in regular cars because they're meant to be used with a HANS device (at a track) and can cause you neck injury if used alone. So why is ok for a small child?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

My understanding is that anything 4 point or greater is not allowed to be used unless there is a roll bar present. It not about neck injuries per say and more that a 3 point lets you slide down in case of a roll-over.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Generally because car seats are closer to racing seats and the ones with 5pt harness come with some form of Hans.

Also, position of the child is important, from what I've seen the newborn ones have them pretty much laying down so in the event of a head on crash the force is down their spine rather than tilting the neck and head. Side impacts you have the additional padding holding their heads in line with their body.

E: also why newborn seats are all rear facing, again to prevent the head from flopping about in a collision.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 10, 2021

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Motronic posted:

At 46 lbs (I think you said Willroc) does the kid even need a booster in that seat? This has more to do with where the seatbelt falls across the shoulder than anything else. As those seats are near uselessly small, this may be their actual design size.
Yeah, I think so. The seat belt receptacle thing (what is that called?) is probably too high to be used without a booster. There would be some slack on the lap there

We use one of these and the little red guides are still doing some work in keeping the seat belt on the lap on my, I don't know, maybe 40 pound kid?:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I love that the Porsche thread has become about car seats.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

With the SUVs and Sedan they now make it was always going to happen.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

kensei posted:

Yeah I realized i had really taken my making GBS threads up the thread to the next level. Sorry about that.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

willroc7 posted:

Yeah I realized i had really taken my making GBS threads up the thread to the next level. Sorry about that.

No dude it's fine. I am legit sad that back in 1998 I sold my 1976 2.0 liter 914 when my wife got pregnant. If I could go back in time, I would tell younger kensei to keep that car.

I am thisclose to pulling the trigger on a 2003-2007 Boxster S. I will post pix when I do.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

kensei posted:

Porsche Thread: has a 5 point harness; for my child.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Nice looking 996!

My 993 is getting picked up this weekend for a trip to our new home, the land of mountains, home of Pike's Peak and tacky home renovations. :ohdear:

Mt Evans is open again. Went up this morning.

Condition of the road at the top is... poor... but the view is amazing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

willroc7 posted:

Dude, this (in addition to other things) is what brand specific thread is for. Don't sweat it.

Shoulda bought my :canada: spec 996 after all now hey? :haw:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kensei posted:

I am thisclose to pulling the trigger on a 2003-2007 Boxster S. I will post pix when I do.

Me too, me too. But I've been edging that close for a while so...

Do y'all daily your cars? That's one thing giving me pause since I WFH (and the office and groceries are within walking range anyway) so it'd be down to occasion movie/restaurant visit, some weekend trips and maybe a few longer road trips in the 5 months or so when it's not absolutely miserable. So I just haven't convinced myself yet that it's be worth it to have it standing around most of the time.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 10, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
im not gonna lie i find it kind of funny that willroc7 was fuckin the 911 chicken hard because he wanted rear seats to put the kid in and uhh now we are here

but yeah that's what brand specific threads exist

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Do y'all daily your cars? That's one thing giving me pause since I WFH (and the office and groceries are within walking range anyway) so it'd be down to occasion movie/restaurant visit, some weekend trips and maybe a few longer road trips in the 5 months or so when it's not absolutely miserable. So I just haven't convinced myself yet that it's be worth it to have it standing around most of the time.

Mine will be the fourth car for the wife and I, so it will not be a daily driver. Weekends/nice weather only along with an occasional road trip most likely.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Oh I'm going to put a kid or two back there, I just didn't expect the no-rear-tether-canadian-cars-only-in-1999 curveball. It is a bit of a lmao, ngl.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Closest I've gotten to a daily in recent years is my 924S in the winter, which works surprisingly well for that purpose. My wife has a normal car, but I just rotate between the 924S, 986, and my hot rod E28 whenever I need to go somewhere (which isn't a ton since I WFH a lot more now).

I will say that the Boxster is very daily-able. Tons of trunk/frunk space, and comfortable for what it is. I don't like driving it in winter, but that's mostly because I couldn't find any winter tires that fit my spare wheels.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I drive my Boxster when I don’t plan on carrying a bunch of stuff and it is not surface of the sun hot outside. So most of the year apart from the middle of the day in June, July and August here.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I have a company vehicle so I don't "daily" it - but on weekends and evenings I drive it when its not apart

I had to check on that seat thing and I see exactly what you mean. I am genuinely surprised they made them that different between Canada and US spec.

I had to put the flash on, but you can definitely see the "cut out" for the tether points.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

slidebite posted:

I have a company vehicle so I don't "daily" it - but on weekends and evenings I drive it when its not apart

I had to check on that seat thing and I see exactly what you mean. I am genuinely surprised they made them that different between Canada and US spec.

I had to put the flash on, but you can definitely see the "cut out" for the tether points.

Hopefully this is the only one weird thing I didn’t know to check when buying the car…

So absurd though lol. I’m going to take it to the dealer for them to confirm it doesn’t have any and to see if they can possibly add some. The master tech can’t tell even with the VIN without looking at it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I felt under it and there is a spot where the insulation/deadening material seems to be gone and I think I can feel it.

Maybe grope around on yours and see if you notice anything under the carpet/deadening material.

I don't know how eager they would be to "add" a child restraint tether point.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

slidebite posted:

I felt under it and there is a spot where the insulation/deadening material seems to be gone and I think I can feel it.

Maybe grope around on yours and see if you notice anything under the carpet/deadening material.

I don't know how eager they would be to "add" a child restraint tether point.

Yeah I’m hoping for some grace from god on that front if that is the case. The dealer does have 4.9/5 stars on google!

When I felt around I didn’t feel anything but I’ll try where you highlighted. Thanks for checking.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

Congratulations!

Mine should be picked up tomorrow evening or Friday and start it's 2400+ mile journey across the country.

edit: Well crap driver thinks the car is too low to load safely

Well then what will they do? At least they aren’t scraping the poo poo out of it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

willroc7 posted:

Well then what will they do? At least they aren’t scraping the poo poo out of it.
That carried backed out so the broker is looking for a new one. The driver tore the bumper off a R8 last month so he was a little gun shy. I appreciate him being careful and not wanting to mess up the car even if it means the car takes a little longer to reach me.

I'll be 'daily' driving mine for the one or two days a week I'm on site as well as using it for errands and anything else. Probably won't see many road trips more than a few hours because we have the Highlander for that.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

dema posted:

Condition of the road at the top is... poor... but the view is amazing.

Maybe next time... ;-* ?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

dema posted:

So rad. People in Colorado are about the only ones who can give me road envy. I really need to just suck it up and make the all day trip up to Lassen.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Toe Rag posted:

So rad. People in Colorado are about the only ones who can give me road envy. I really need to just suck it up and make the all day trip up to Lassen.

There’s ALWAYS someone doing 25 mph tops on anything remotely curvy. And that’s before the police get involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

There are some roads on the east side of glacier park that are all sorts of twisty and a 70-75mph speed limit with very few drops.

And you can never do it during june-sept because some jackass in a class A RV towing a boat with something like Florida plates is doing 20 and there are hardly any legal passing opportunities.