Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Burns posted:

Wait, someone clarify what Wabbajack is as it sounds intriguing.

Essentially a one-button installation of giant modlists.

Last I checked it only officially supports a small number of modlists, all of which I hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Burns posted:

Wait, someone clarify what Wabbajack is as it sounds intriguing.

Wabbajack is a tool that lets you use curated mod lists to automatically download and install huge amounts of mods. Properly set up (and I think you still need to buy a $1 nexus membership or else you'll have to do a lot of clicking), you just do a few pre-setup steps, log in, and bam you download hundreds of mods installed with prebuilt compatibility patches etc. It's really easy to use and pretty handy, with the obvious caveat that each list is going to be to a specific modders tastes and will probably include mods you don't care for. The modlists actively in use are usually updated frequently and add/remove mods as needed to avoid issues/add content.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Interesting. I wonder if I should try out one of those. I assume MO2 can do this under a new profile.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Deuce posted:

Essentially a one-button installation of giant modlists.

Last I checked it only officially supports a small number of modlists, all of which I hate.

I posted this last page, but there's a list of all supported modlists with a small summary of each https://github.com/wabbajack-tools/mod-lists/blob/master/modlist-descriptions.md

I tried out Keizaal and it seems like a pretty great vanilla replacement. Took a look at the requiem-based lists and wasn't impressed by any, so am currently doing Librum which is quite fun (you start with almost no magicka and researching spells takes forever, so it is more of a low magic setting)

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Speaking of Librum, where the hell do I get a map so I can fast travel?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
What's so good about this Legacy of the Dragonborn thing makes it the top quest mod on SE? Is the story compelling and well done or is it just collecting poo poo for a museum and people love that for some reason?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The quests involved are kind of substantial but I don't feel like they are worth doing if you don't really care about the museum collection aspect. At a certain point you create a guild. I think it's just well-respected for being so elaborate, involving the entire rest of the game through the unique items, and I guess being technically proficient

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The technical proficiency is a big draw because if you're looking for a Skyrim quest mod that isn't falling apart at the seams in some manner you have roughly three options and the other two are much smaller in scale (one is Clockwork, I don't know what the last one is, three wasn't literal)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I liked Dragonborn and was amazed by the cohesiveness of it all but I have the attention span of a squirrel so I can't say I ever got very far.

Probably going to try one of the Vanilla+ modlists the next time I get around to installing it.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Skyrim has some amazingly badly designed quests. Blood on the Ice (windhelm murder investigation) is just such a giant lump of poo poo and quite possibly one of the worst designed quests in any game ive ever played.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Burns posted:

Skyrim has some amazingly badly designed quests. Blood on the Ice (windhelm murder investigation) is just such a giant lump of poo poo and quite possibly one of the worst designed quests in any game ive ever played.

There's a mod (Blood on the Ice Redux or something) that's supposed to improve it but I've never really tried it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Burns posted:

When I first played Skyrim I stumbled on Morthal and the investigation quest there, I found the vampire journal early on in a coffin in a house that basically said "I did all the murders that have taken place yep that was me and here is how I did it" and I couldn't talk to -anyone- about it until I jumped through the rest of the hoops of the quest to try and figure out who could possibly be behind all this and eventually investigate the house and find the journal I already had.

Felt bad after coming off new vegas where there were a dozen contingencies for how someone could enter into a quest and complete it early.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Burns posted:

It's a real shame because the actual quest itself could have been good - the ingredients are all there, you do some detective work, you get a false lead, you stalk a killer a specific time of night - but not only is it incredibly awfully coded the quest itself is just not implemented or written in any fun way at all.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Skyrim is an awful game. It's there to be modded, not played.

The cycle is you install it once every 5 or so years. Install a bunch of mods. Get those working. Play a little bit until find something you don't like. Mod it. Play a little bit more and find more things you don't like. Eventually you have 300 mods installed and everything is pretty much as good as it's going to get. Then you realised you don't actually want to play any of this content and uninstall it all.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 8, 2021

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Skyrim is an awful game. It's there to be modded, not played.

The cycle is you install it once every 5 or so years. Install a bunch of mods. Get those working. Play a little bit until find something you don't like. Mod it. Play a little bit more and find more things you don't like. Eventually you have 300 mods installed and everything is pretty much as good as it's going to get. Then you realised you don't actually want to play any of this content and uninstall it all.

Don't fukkin judge me, ok?

:mad:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
There's no judgement here friend. I'm currently sitting at over 310 mods installed. If I can just find a high res texture for the Nordic portcullis..

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I had one where there were dead bodies left everywhere. I should see if that one made the jump to SSE.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Burns posted:

Interesting. I wonder if I should try out one of those. I assume MO2 can do this under a new profile.

Wabbajack installs a custom MO2 instance specific to the wabbajack modlist you downloaded. Totally separate install, I have all my wabbajack stuff downloaded and installed on a separate drive and aside from load times being 5-6 seconds longer than if they were on my ssd its pretty solid.

Every time i reinstall skyrim and set up my mods its mostly all the same ones because I know they work and I like them, like CCOR and immersive weapons + armory. Trying out new ones is a bit daunting, if you don't like them but it took you a while to figure it out, your save is probably just toast, and its always sick to download a huge mod just to constantly ctd. I dig that I can just spin up a totally different version of Skyrim that definitely works and has a bunch of cool poo poo I've never tried out yet.

Sidenote, whats a good enb preset that a) looks good b) isn't so dark that you can't see anything c) doesn't gently caress up night eye? I tried amon as it was one of the ones living skyrim recommended, it looks really good in the daytime but at night and indoors its dark as gently caress and looks like trash, and night eye / vampire sight doesn't work.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

wearing a lampshade posted:

Sidenote, whats a good enb preset that a) looks good b) isn't so dark that you can't see anything c) doesn't gently caress up night eye? I tried amon as it was one of the ones living skyrim recommended, it looks really good in the daytime but at night and indoors its dark as gently caress and looks like trash, and night eye / vampire sight doesn't work.

I've had some good results with Ljoss, and I think The Truth is meant to be good in that way too, though I think a lot depends on which lighting mods you're using.

I do not get this obsession in Skyrim modding with making anything that isn't outdoors at noon on a cloudless day absolutely pitch-dark. Like I'm indoors right now with my only light coming from a fairly dim bedside lamp and the window (and my computer I guess), and I can see perfectly well but if this were Skyrim I wouldn't be able to see more than two feet in front of me because "realism"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
So I also just installed Librum and it has the mod that makes it so you don't know the names of NPCs until you talk to them and I really loving hate that mod, but also can't remember the name of it.

Anybody know what that is? it doesn't make poo poo more immersive, it just makes poo poo more annoying.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It always looks really washed out and bad otherwise. It's really hard to make ambient light look good in Skyrim. I never found a happy medium. It always either looks bad or it's too dark.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Skwirl posted:

So I also just installed Librum and it has the mod that makes it so you don't know the names of NPCs until you talk to them and I really loving hate that mod, but also can't remember the name of it.

Anybody know what that is? it doesn't make poo poo more immersive, it just makes poo poo more annoying.

Google suggests it may be "People Are Strangers"

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Skwirl posted:

"MIA" I think. You should be able to turn it all off. Elysium also has that mod and I hate it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's People Are Strangers for anyone else using Librum, thank you.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Funky See Funky Do posted:

What's so good about this Legacy of the Dragonborn thing makes it the top quest mod on SE? Is the story compelling and well done or is it just collecting poo poo for a museum and people love that for some reason?

Do you like finding things and putting them in displays instead of just selling it or tossing it in a box? Does that scratch an itch in your brain? Do shelves full of stuff you found give you a sense of satisfaction? It's great for that, if you've got that type of brain. (I do.)

Otherwise: The quests and voice acting are fine, all of the tech is extremely competent, and it fits in neatly with the rest of the game. If you've played the game several times, it's new stuff to run into. Probably not worth it if you're not into that kind of collection thing, though.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Ok so master of disguise is awesome. Jist did diplomatic immunity as a nord by wearing imperial armor and just walking past all of the thalmor into the dungeon.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Do you like finding things and putting them in displays instead of just selling it or tossing it in a box? Does that scratch an itch in your brain? Do shelves full of stuff you found give you a sense of satisfaction? It's great for that, if you've got that type of brain. (I do.)

Otherwise: The quests and voice acting are fine, all of the tech is extremely competent, and it fits in neatly with the rest of the game. If you've played the game several times, it's new stuff to run into. Probably not worth it if you're not into that kind of collection thing, though.

Agree with this. For me for whatever reason I get bored of actually playing Skyrim for any extended period of time, and LOTD gives me a meta reason to keep playing, keep doing quests, keep collecting stuff.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So I caught a bug and I want to play Morrowind again. I have nostalgia for everything except the combat, which I remember not liking much even back then. Any essential mods I should look in to that makes it a bit more... modern in that respect? On top of that, something that also makes the leveling system not butt and scales back the enemy level scaling? Also, is there a SKSE equivalent I should know about?

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

Jimbot posted:

So I caught a bug and I want to play Morrowind again. I have nostalgia for everything except the combat, which I remember not liking much even back then. Any essential mods I should look in to that makes it a bit more... modern in that respect? On top of that, something that also makes the leveling system not butt and scales back the enemy level scaling? Also, is there a SKSE equivalent I should know about?

You want the Morrowind modding thread. They can help you out.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430891

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Jimmy Noskill posted:

You want the Morrowind modding thread. They can help you out.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430891

Oh drat, I didn't even realize there was one (I'm bad at searching too). Thanks for the link!

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Wiltsghost posted:

"MIA" I think. You should be able to turn it all off. Elysium also has that mod and I hate it.

So I just finished installing Elysium and it looks like this dumb mod is a required master for an Elysium master patch .esp that has like half of the mod list as required masters. Absolutely infuriating.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Internet Wizard posted:

So I just finished installing Elysium and it looks like this dumb mod is a required master for an Elysium master patch .esp that has like half of the mod list as required masters. Absolutely infuriating.

It looks like there's an MCM that will let you switch that "feature" off if it is indeed MIA.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Internet Wizard posted:

It has a setting in the mcm. You should be able to disable all of it through that. No need to delete the mod.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Well I fired up the game and as soon as I took my first step in the LAL prison cell my character became a writhing mass of limbs floating through the air so maybe this wabbajack thing isn't for me and I'll go back to just doing things the old fashioned way.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Internet Wizard posted:

Well I fired up the game and as soon as I took my first step in the LAL prison cell my character became a writhing mass of limbs floating through the air so maybe this wabbajack thing isn't for me and I'll go back to just doing things the old fashioned way.

Lol which one was it

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

I cant read

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, idk, I've never had an issue with that modpack.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I dunno, I've been modding off and on since the vanilla launch and this is a new bug to me

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Did you delete any mods or change anything? You can't really tinker with them, like at all, which kinda sucks. Besides enb settings and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Obligatory "did you try to install a wabbajack modpack into program files and then also not give admin rights to everything" part of the troubleshooting phase