Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I kinda feel like anyone who isn't a Sue Grafton or Lee Childs type who has a bazillion books and new ones always show up on the NYT best seller list automatically get a profile.

I also think if you've only had 1 book on that list you aren't making that kinda money unless it was made into a movie, not just optioned but actually produced.

They might not be rich, but they could have received a decent one time payment. Which might seem like a lot until you average it out to when you get the next big payment. And it might not happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm more fixated on the 4-bedroom home.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The only place I really feel expects me to have or want children is the healthcare system. My sister has endometriosis and has had it probably most of her life - I remember her periods being horrendous when she was a teenager. She went through literal decades of suffering, missing work every month, just agony. And the only time the medical profession got interested in doing something about it was when it started to impact her fertility. Until then it was just 'natural' and to be expected.

Every so often in life people say to me 'are you going to have kids, you think?' and I go 'nah, probably not now' and it's never had a bad reaction from anybody.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Jesus it seems like endo is under treated and under studied the world over. I have a friend who gets it so bad she often passes out, and even at that severity she still couldn't get treated because the public health system in the area she lives doesn't cover it. She takes birth control now even though she's gay and despite the other side effects, just because it's better than dealing with the endometriosis.

Maybe I should suggest that she pretend that she's trying to get pregnant and is having issues.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

bike tory posted:

Jesus it seems like endo is under treated and under studied the world over. I have a friend who gets it so bad she often passes out, and even at that severity she still couldn't get treated because the public health system in the area she lives doesn't cover it. She takes birth control now even though she's gay and despite the other side effects, just because it's better than dealing with the endometriosis.

Maybe I should suggest that she pretend that she's trying to get pregnant and is having issues.

Endo is right up there with cluster headaches and hypermobile Ehlers-Danlos in terms of pain and as someone with hEDS and has a friend with endo.... yeeeeeeeesh no.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
She also wasn't believed when she told the maternity unit folk she was going into labour and had to go through childbirth with no pain relief, which is infuriating, but I can kinda see how that's a mistake that could be made by a reasonable person. The years and years of neglect before then piss me off.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm more fixated on the 4-bedroom home.
My husband and I got our current house for an absolute steal because the previous owners made the same mistake -- they didn't have kids, so they thought they might as well enjoy themselves. It turns out having a bunch of extra rooms you don't really use just gives your a higher heating bill, more property taxes, and a weird sense of "huh, I haven't been in this room for a few months, maybe I don't need two studies."

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

bike tory posted:

Jesus it seems like ailments associated with having a uterus are under treated and under studied the world over.

FTFY

bike tory posted:

Do people without kids really get heavily judged? About half the people my age that I know don't have kids and don't plan to, it hardly seems like a big deal.

As others have said, it depends on where you live. I was told I couldn't get my tubes tied until I hit a certain age AND had my husband's permission. My husband could schedule a vasectomy that week, without my permission, despite being the same age. I was told it was wrong to curtail my fertility and I was likely to change my mind, nothing like that for him. My sister, who even already had one kid, was told the same thing, and that being single with no husband didn't waive the requirement to get husband's permission. The fact that a future man might want her to have HIS kids trumped her desire to stay at the number of kids she already had.

Kids are the first thing people ask women about as an ice breaker. If you don't have kids they hassle you about when you will have them, are you trying, why no kids yet, etc. If you say you don't WANT them, you start getting lectured about how your life is empty, you're missing your purpose, you don't know what you want, you'll change your mind because EVERYONE wants kids, you must be really selfish to not want them, etc. If a woman prioritizes anything over having kids, she's a monster, broken, self-absorbed, etc. These are direct quotes, btw. This comes up at parties, at work, etc.

Working with families, it comes up constantly. I work with a lot of small children right now, and "But you can't really specialize in this area if you don't have kids." is constant. Followed by, "You are so good with our kids, you should have some of your own, you're made to be a mom!" I get that its a compliment, but its not one that my male colleagues get, even if they don't have kids. Sometimes I keep a photo of my nephew as my lock screen on my phone just because I am treated more respectfully, because they assume he's my kid. I totally get that the parent experience is unique, but its not one I need to do my job and do it well.

I know a lot of these seem minor, but its like water torture - if you get a few times a week, every week, it gets really grating. And for some of these people, it becomes their personal mission to 'convert' you to having kids.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Dienes posted:

FTFY
As others have said, it depends on where you live. I was told I couldn't get my tubes tied until I hit a certain age AND had my husband's permission. My husband could schedule a vasectomy that week, without my permission, despite being the same age. I was told it was wrong to curtail my fertility and I was likely to change my mind, nothing like that for him. My sister, who even already had one kid, was told the same thing, and that being single with no husband didn't waive the requirement to get husband's permission. The fact that a future man might want her to have HIS kids trumped her desire to stay at the number of kids she already had.

Kids are the first thing people ask women about as an ice breaker. If you don't have kids they hassle you about when you will have them, are you trying, why no kids yet, etc. If you say you don't WANT them, you start getting lectured about how your life is empty, you're missing your purpose, you don't know what you want, you'll change your mind because EVERYONE wants kids, you must be really selfish to not want them, etc. If a woman prioritizes anything over having kids, she's a monster, broken, self-absorbed, etc. These are direct quotes, btw. This comes up at parties, at work, etc.

Working with families, it comes up constantly. I work with a lot of small children right now, and "But you can't really specialize in this area if you don't have kids." is constant. Followed by, "You are so good with our kids, you should have some of your own, you're made to be a mom!" I get that its a compliment, but its not one that my male colleagues get, even if they don't have kids. Sometimes I keep a photo of my nephew as my lock screen on my phone just because I am treated more respectfully, because they assume he's my kid. I totally get that the parent experience is unique, but its not one I need to do my job and do it well.

I know a lot of these seem minor, but its like water torture - if you get a few times a week, every week, it gets really grating. And for some of these people, it becomes their personal mission to 'convert' you to having kids.

Had a visitor to my class today who gave one of my techs, a 25 year old college student, poo poo for working with kids and not having any of her own. I made her leave

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Thanks for sharing your experiences. It genuinely seemed like times had changed a bit on that front but I guess not, that's incredibly lovely. Doubly so I guess since I'm a guy who works with kids and I've never ever been told I should have my own.

Also now that I do have my own kids my partner constantly gets told how lucky she is to have such a supportive partner who helps out with the kids, and I constantly get complimented for doing even the most basic poo poo like taking them both to the park at the same time. I'm the stay at home parent too which absolutely blows people's minds.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
The OP in that breeders post also says she's 26 and her bf is 28. Having kids at that age is getting rarer and rarer, and also she still has a few years before her biological clock really starts ticking and she's got that 4br home filled with nothing.

Check back in when she's 32.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I once had a coworker point at my stomach and shout "HURRY UP! HURRY UP!" in Korean at me in front of every single other teacher and admin at that school.

Last week, I was out to lunch with my parents and their friends and the male half of the couple kept asking why I don't have children until I had to say "I can't have children" in front of everyone just to shut him up.

Fuckin' men leave my poison womb alone, my loving god.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Yeah, Mrs. Underbridge and I have to put up with those questions. I just look at them and say "Miscarriages" and make them feel guilty for asking. gently caress, it's not like we didn't try, which I guess is an implication in the question. And yes, we do know how things work and what goes where, thank you. Assholes.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

HAVE U CONSIDERED PENIS IN VAGINA

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
My girlfriend went to the ER for a hernia. We found out there that she is also pregnant (she has an IUD). Its eptopic obviously. Shes never been able to get pregnant anyway and we dont want kids so she started freaking out when they told her. We are looking at having to get surgery for her hernia and I guess get an abortion on top of that (not to mention we live in Texas) and she is not on insurance. The doctor still told us he was sorry and that he didnt expect us to react negatively lol.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

My girlfriend went to the ER for a hernia. We found out there that she is also pregnant (she has an IUD). Its eptopic obviously. Shes never been able to get pregnant anyway and we dont want kids so she started freaking out when they told her. We are looking at having to get surgery for her hernia and I guess get an abortion on top of that (not to mention we live in Texas) and she is not on insurance. The doctor still told us he was sorry and that he didnt expect us to react negatively lol.

I am not surprised at all that a male, Texan doctor expected a woman to be ecstatic about an unwanted pregnancy with a non-viable fetus that can and will kill her if not removed.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

MrUnderbridge posted:

Yeah, Mrs. Underbridge and I have to put up with those questions. I just look at them and say "Miscarriages" and make them feel guilty for asking. gently caress, it's not like we didn't try, which I guess is an implication in the question. And yes, we do know how things work and what goes where, thank you. Assholes.

I know a few GPs and they genuinely do need to ask those questions when people come to them with infertility problems. It's funny to think about until you realise how poorly served they've obviously been by the education system, to know so very little about how their own bodies work :(

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I once had a coworker point at my stomach and shout "HURRY UP! HURRY UP!" in Korean at me in front of every single other teacher and admin at that school.

Lol that reminds me of when my sister met a bunch of her new inlaws for the first time. One of them put both hands on my sister's stomach and told her to hurry up. It was her goddamn wedding reception.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

They're afraid you won't make it to the toilet.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

They're afraid you won't make it to the toilet.

I'm not Kaitlin Bennett goddammit

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hyperhazard posted:

Lol that reminds me of when my sister met a bunch of her new inlaws for the first time. One of them put both hands on my sister's stomach and told her to hurry up. It was her goddamn wedding reception.
She should have said "OK" and then let out every fart she'd been holding in at once.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I'm not Kaitlin Bennett goddammit

I was thinking of the peanut brittle story but too tired to make the actual joke.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I was thinking of the peanut brittle story but too tired to make the actual joke.

The Haier peanut brittle story?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

The Haier peanut brittle story?

Please don't tell me there are more :(

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/suicidepussy/status/1400055087058272259?s=21

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Obvious joke from a brutally unfunny account.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

urgh

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
At least it's a real typewriter.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Doesn't this jerk know that graphs not tables are what gets people in the mood?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
I know this is supposed to be making fun of his wife for weak excuses, but it's the biggest self-own. Worst case scenario, your wife isn't into sex, and you keep pushing her. Best case scenario, your wife isn't into sex with you, and you're too lazy to do anything about it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

hyperhazard posted:

I know this is supposed to be making fun of his wife for weak excuses, but it's the biggest self-own. Worst case scenario, your wife isn't into sex, and you keep pushing her. Best case scenario, your wife isn't into sex with you, and you're too lazy to do anything about it.

60 times are attributed to "pretending sleeping" yeah, she just doesn't want to gently caress as often as he does.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
You'd think the old-timey version of "I've got my period" (or at least a reference to stereotypical symptoms) would've made the list. That's how you double KNOW it isn't real.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Isn't this a parody of that loser dude that made an excel sheet about his wife not wanting to have sex with him?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

i dunno maybe this is an actual thing and i'm just too far removed from the city but uh

https://twitter.com/asatiir/status/1402194467344437253?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
NYC is such a loving trash city and it's been mostly populated by a death cult since 9/11.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Skwirl posted:

NYC is such a loving trash city and it's been mostly populated by a death cult since 9/11.

I can't even begin to imagine what you think living in New York is like.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Len posted:

i dunno maybe this is an actual thing and i'm just too far removed from the city but uh

https://twitter.com/asatiir/status/1402194467344437253?s=20

According to the tweet, this is supposed to be Bloodborne as NYC, not actual NYC.

Actual NYC is indeed not like this most of the time.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

EasilyConfused posted:

I can't even begin to imagine what you think living in New York is like.

he lives in seattle lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alaois posted:

he lives in seattle lmao

harsh but true.