Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
Alright, gently caress it, I'll follow a thread's advice for once in my life and try out the new job. Thanks for the kick in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

stellers bae posted:

Alright, gently caress it, I'll follow a thread's advice for once in my life and try out the new job. Thanks for the kick in the rear end.

I've been following and I'm rooting for you. If it sucks, oh well you made waaaay more money.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

stellers bae posted:

I was in a very similar comfortable place (mostly happy with my job, pondering accepting a similarly titled, but much more responsibilities job with a huge pay raise, albeit at half the salary you're being offered) a few years ago and had similar feelings about it as you did. I accepted the new job and it was 100% the right move.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
OK thread, i got to tell a recruiter no when he asked what my salary requirements were. The position is listed with an hourly rate already which he wants to use. However the job he wants to apply me for is a contract position and apparently he "can not submit the application without the requested hourly rate".

Given I'd be going from a full time position to a contract position I did the math on what my target salary should be to include now paying for Healthcare, lost 401k matching and vacation / sick days and it comes up 15k short.

Do I respond with an hourly rate that makes up the 15k currently, or put a f u hour salary requirement that gets me out to 35k past where they are now since he's trying to force me to give a number? Or do I still refuse to give a number?

Banta is I have a stable job right now, and I only need a new one because my partners job is moving us to the bay area no later than January. But that still gives 6 months to keep looking, and this is a contract positon not in the bay area so will want to pay less in wages.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

If you have a good existing job, always ask for as much money as you can say with a straight face. Always. You don't start negotiations from the minimum acceptable offer.

If you refuse they're probably just going to keep badgering you. If you truly don't care, there's no problem calling their bluff and saying well submit it without a number, and if they have to, put in $0 or $1

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 9, 2021

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.
I also would never leave a full-time job for a contract position unless I absolutely had to. There is a huge possibility that they'll string you along promising you a full time conversion for years and never do it.

That said, relocating would count as an "absolutely had to" here, but you've got some time. The only other "absolutely had to" I can think of is hating a job so much that I fear for my mental health, which is a situation where you basically have zero BATNA anyway.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

thank you thread :)

Owlspiracy fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 13, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If you're moving to the Bay Area for the first time you really should talk to someone who has lived both there and elsewhere (Sundae? Motronic?) and can advise you on the Normalbacks-to-Baybucks exchange rate. It's pretty insane and without solid knowledge in this area you stand to accidentally hose yourself while thinking, mistakenly, that you're getting a huge raise.

Owlspiracy posted:

current job countered and gave me an offer that would be roughly equivalent to new position, haven't started negotiating with new place yet. ahh so stressful. stay in the safety of a job with amazing benefits but very little future upside (higher ed), or make the scary jump and set yourself up for a great future with an entirely new, super useful skill set (ed tech)? will see what the new place can raise their number to...

There is no safety in accepting a counter from your current employer. However familiarity makes you feel, the reality is very, very much the opposite. The safe move is to jump.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

Owlspiracy posted:

sorry one last question - new place includes a 2-year non-compete. red flag? any point trying to negotiate out of this?

Depending on where you are, this can often be largely ignored as non-competes are unenforceable in certain jurisdictions. Two years seems excessive tho, but it also depends on the seniority of the position, how close to trade secrets you will be, the technology in question, the geographical reach of the non-compete (if specified), and your own ambitions in the sector. Negotiating on a non-compete might be a red flag to an employer, so I'd tread carefully.

If you are to be senior in the company and either have full access to the core of their IP or even make it yourself, two years seems about right assuming the non-compete is specific to the tech vertical you'll be working in and only encompasses that type of work. A two-year "no working in tech in any capacity" non-compete is a massive red flag.

Without seeing the verbiage of yours, it's difficult to say. Read it carefully and try to map your options given the information given and make your call based on that. Post a summary of it here if you want better input.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you're moving to the Bay Area for the first time you really should talk to someone who has lived both there and elsewhere (Sundae? Motronic?) and can advise you on the Normalbacks-to-Baybucks exchange rate. It's pretty insane and without solid knowledge in this area you stand to accidentally hose yourself while thinking, mistakenly, that you're getting a huge raise.

I appreciate this. I'm in San Diego now making 90k gross plus 401k and annual rsu grants. My partner will be making 165k plus bonuses in San Jose. My minimum will be 120k full time at a company with it scaling up for contract. I'm looking for lims admin jobs in the pharma /biotech sphere and think that's reasonable. If anyone who is familiar with the bay area and biotech has feedback on these numbers for what I should be targeting I'd appreciate it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

That's about right. Have a look at rental prices now to get over the sticker shock. It's expensive but doable.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Owlspiracy posted:

i don't have access to their ip and i'm not on the technology side at all. the non-compete is written extremely broadly which is my concern - there is no geographic area and it applies to all "direct and indirect" competitors, which could be seen as "any technology company". i do live in a state which allows non-competes. my concern is with "indirect" competitors. i see my options as: ask for it be removed (the contract also includes an NDA and a non-solicitation), ask for them to define direct competitors it would apply, ask for a change in duration.

i am not a lawyer but if it's that broad it's likely to be unenforceable if you challenge it assuming they bother to try to enforce

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
For the first time, I turned down a raise and asked a manager for more money. It was terrifying, but it feels empowering and really gives you that big dick energy.

Glowing three year review, title change, was presented with a 10k raise offer to 85k. Said thanks but no thanks, I'm looking at 90-95k. It was the end of the day so he's going back to HR and I assume the CEO.

I am probably shooting high, but gently caress it. If they come back with "take it or leave it", I will move on to vacation time, and start putting feelers out.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

dhamster posted:

I might do this tomorrow or Monday since it's now been 10 days since my point of contact's initial response. But as someone else pointed out there was a 3 day weekend in that span, and the wheels of this process have turned slowly before that.

I still have plenty of time to accept the offer based on their initial timeline, I'm just starting to worry (irrationally?) that I'm going to blow it in this phase and they might rescind the offer. This fear isn't really based on anything, though. I'd imagine they'd just tell me to take it or leave it if they turn down my counter.

I still haven't sent an email or heard anything yet from this guy. I might just send him a note tomorrow morning. The last I heard (~2 weeks ago) he was running it up the chain for approval. I've had some long delays at other parts of this process too, they're a bit slow in general.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
If you’re serious about it no sense waiting longer, IMO.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Follow up:

Me: so what's your pay band? (knowing H1B stats for the position was $1000 in 2019)
Them: Uhh $1020 middle of band, up to $1120 top of band
Me: oh wow, I was thinking closer in the $1150-$1210 range
Them: well I think if we push hard we might be able to get you $1210
Me thinking: poo poo I should have asked for way more money
Me: I think we are pretty closely aligned then, let's go with $1210

Haven't started on signing bonus negotiations yet. Realistically I thought that if I was aggressive asking $1210 I would have to negotiate down to $1120 but I picked up 10% over my original, ambitious, goal so :shrug:

Regardless, quite pleased with the situation, we have some back burner projects that can be funded now

TL;DR always negotiate

Target Practice posted:

it feels empowering and really gives you that big dick energy.

New thread title?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

If you’re serious about it no sense waiting longer, IMO.

Yeah, I think past the two week mark it's not showing weakness to ask for an update

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Target Practice posted:

For the first time, I turned down a raise and asked a manager for more money. It was terrifying, but it feels empowering and really gives you that big dick energy.

Glowing three year review, title change, was presented with a 10k raise offer to 85k. Said thanks but no thanks, I'm looking at 90-95k. It was the end of the day so he's going back to HR and I assume the CEO.

I am probably shooting high, but gently caress it. If they come back with "take it or leave it", I will move on to vacation time, and start putting feelers out.
Now this is getting it done. An inspiration to us all.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Spikes32 posted:

I appreciate this. I'm in San Diego now making 90k gross plus 401k and annual rsu grants. My partner will be making 165k plus bonuses in San Jose. My minimum will be 120k full time at a company with it scaling up for contract. I'm looking for lims admin jobs in the pharma /biotech sphere and think that's reasonable. If anyone who is familiar with the bay area and biotech has feedback on these numbers for what I should be targeting I'd appreciate it.

Even if you somehow only get your exact $90K current, $255K + bonuses/401k/RSU is perfectly livable in the Bay Area. That being said, if you have experience and are working in LIMS, you're probably looking at $105K, probably higher, with bonus+401(k). I don't know about $120K, but mostly because I don't know many people in that side of the field.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Sundae posted:

Even if you somehow only get your exact $90K current, $255K + bonuses/401k/RSU is perfectly livable in the Bay Area. That being said, if you have experience and are working in LIMS, you're probably looking at $105K, probably higher, with bonus+401(k). I don't know about $120K, but mostly because I don't know many people in that side of the field.

I've got 8 years exp in gmp qc labs and 1.5 years experience in lims, but I've also been working on the full system top to bottom at my current gig and I'm a "certified labware admin" by the vendor for whatever that's worth.

I've got time so hopefully I can get some interviews and feel out what the potential market rates are.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i am not a lawyer but if it's that broad it's likely to be unenforceable if you challenge it assuming they bother to try to enforce

Owlspiracy posted:

i don't have access to their ip and i'm not on the technology side at all. the non-compete is written extremely broadly which is my concern - there is no geographic area and it applies to all "direct and indirect" competitors, which could be seen as "any technology company". i do live in a state which allows non-competes. my concern is with "indirect" competitors. i see my options as: ask for it be removed (the contract also includes an NDA and a non-solicitation), ask for them to define direct competitors it would apply, ask for a change in duration.

Where’s the NDA being signed? Where’s the company and where will you be working initially?

https://www.mintz.com/insights-center/viewpoints/2015-07-17-can-move-california-invalidate-non-compete

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Has anyone had luck getting a noncompete waived through asking for it to be paid/salaried if enforced, or is that more of an EU/non USA thing?

I remember reading a while ago that one of the big powers that be changed things so that if a company enforced a noncompete, they have to keep paying salary out for its duration, but can't remember the specifics. Was it struck down or is it still a thing?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

TheParadigm posted:

Has anyone had luck getting a noncompete waived through asking for it to be paid/salaried if enforced, or is that more of an EU/non USA thing?

I remember reading a while ago that one of the big powers that be changed things so that if a company enforced a noncompete, they have to keep paying salary out for its duration, but can't remember the specifics. Was it struck down or is it still a thing?

Forcing a company to pay out any time a worker is not chained down on company premises would basically never happen in the US (or it would be by force, at least).

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

TheParadigm posted:

in some jurisdictions a noncompete is only valid if there is compensation attached. the compensation might be like $1 but you can probably negotiate the compensation

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Owlspiracy posted:

thank you so much to this thread - they are going to meet my updated ask and i will get a specific clarification on the non-compete terms that narrows it to a point where i am not concerned :)

:yeah:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

TheParadigm posted:

I’ve always managed to get my non competes changed to “not allowed to work for customers I interacted with for x months after resigning”. The default was “can’t work for any of the companies clients for x months after leaving (also when fired)”. That is way too much for medium/large sized consultancy companies that have many clients.

I wouldn’t have accepted any of the jobs if they didn’t want to change it. I’m in EU though.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

TheParadigm posted:

I've red-lined it out of a job offer successfully, but I've never tried the paid/salaried-if-enforced thing. Non-competes are extremely hard to enforce in the USA in the first place, to the point where it's almost easier to keep an illegal blacklist than try to enforce a NCA.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Dealing with a recruiter right now who straight up ignored me on the first pass when I asked what the budgeted salary range would be, and now he is trying to pass the anchoring responsibility on to me. Would it be too bridge burn-y to respond to “what is your salary expectation” with something along the lines of “every cent I’m worth, so tell me the budget or move along?” Or should I just stop replying to these chuckle fucks? The job didn’t sound too interesting to begin with and it certainly doesn’t sound like they’re the kind of company who would be paying me more than what I make now.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
"every cent I'm worth, so tell me the budget or move along" is pretty much exactly what I would tell them. Zero tolerance for lovely recruiters wasting your time.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

dhamster posted:

I still haven't sent an email or heard anything yet from this guy. I might just send him a note tomorrow morning. The last I heard (~2 weeks ago) he was running it up the chain for approval. I've had some long delays at other parts of this process too, they're a bit slow in general.

So, I did ping the guy last week, and today he told me he has some updates that he will be ready to share in a few hours. So I guess I'll find out soon.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

final update: thank you thread. asked for 15, got 13, my goal was 10.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Hell yeah!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Owlspiracy posted:

:hellyeah:

Not Grover
Nov 6, 2007

Owlspiracy posted:

Congrats, but why go back and edit out all your posts? :raise:

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Not Grover posted:

Congrats, but why go back and edit out all your posts? :raise:

OPSEC !! (I try to be careful not to reveal too much online if someone was to search my post history)

Owlspiracy fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Target Practice posted:

Came back to me with a title change, salary, and 89k. Considering that a win. I went from 65k to 89k in three years so I feel like I've set myself up for future success.