Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

bird with big dick posted:

do they have duck fat at costco

i think ive seen it there before but idk how reliably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

My first ever visit to church

PBUC

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nice boner!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

Nice boner!

I already said it was my first time at Costco, what did you expect??

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Johnny Truant posted:

My first ever visit to church

PBUC
Did you buy anything or was it just finger guns all day?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

A tik Tok about Costco

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMdecEE1K/

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ordered 4 tires from Costco 10 business days ago. They said it would take 5 to 10 business days. Get the email today that my tires have arrived, so I scheduled the install as soon as possible because my tires are loving BAD ya'all.

Get there early to see if they've got an early spot, guy goes "Well, 3 of the 4 showed up." shrugs. I said "Okay, is the 4th one coming today? Is there a 4th one at another warehouse you can get? I already scheduled the installation"

"No, we'll send you an email when the 4th one comes."

"I find that very loving unlikely because you've already sent me an email saying they are all here so whatever system you have is probably not going to respond to the 4th ghost tire showing up."

So I told him to install two of the tires on the front because the front tires are the worst, and i'll come back later and they'll install the back two and I won't pay anything extra.

They wouldn't do it, they would however put the new tires on the back, and put the bald tires on the front. You know, where most of my braking and steering happens. Because that's loving smart.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I think that's SOP for that situation. The bad tires stay on the drive wheels on the theory that If you get nice grippy tires on the front, you're gunna be able to make your bald rears slide all over the place and cause Bad Things to happen. If your rear is gripper than your front, this won't be able to happen because the front won't be able to out grip the back.

Entire situation sucks, tho, and continues to leave me wary re costco tires.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
If the front loses traction, you can immediately see where you're pointed and steering harder or getting off the gas both solve it. If the back goes the wrong way, hope you've got some high scores set on Initial D.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Double dog drifting?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

fizzymercury posted:

Did you buy anything or was it just finger guns all day?

Oh yeah, we went hungry so we definitely bought more than we should've :ocelot:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I get the tires done at Sams club

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

her original twitter thread is pretty good too

https://twitter.com/mixbecca/status/1390431187794022407

i cheered so hard at the part thats just "JEFF". you'll know i mean when u see it

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

CainFortea posted:

Ordered 4 tires from Costco 10 business days ago. They said it would take 5 to 10 business days. Get the email today that my tires have arrived, so I scheduled the install as soon as possible because my tires are loving BAD ya'all.

Get there early to see if they've got an early spot, guy goes "Well, 3 of the 4 showed up." shrugs. I said "Okay, is the 4th one coming today? Is there a 4th one at another warehouse you can get? I already scheduled the installation"

"I find that very loving unlikely because you've already sent me an email saying they are all here so whatever system you have is probably not going to respond to the 4th ghost tire showing up."

So I told him to install two of the tires on the front because the front tires are the worst, and i'll come back later and they'll install the back two and I won't pay anything extra.

They wouldn't do it, they would however put the new tires on the back, and put the bald tires on the front. You know, where most of my braking and steering happens. Because that's loving smart.

Why'd you let your tires get so bad that suddenly DAYS matter?

EDIT

ok ok this is a bit snippy but man I literally order a set of 4 (sometimes 5) tires from our Costco each month. Ours owns, and that executive membership is ace to have.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Lutha Mahtin posted:

her original twitter thread is pretty good too

https://twitter.com/mixbecca/status/1390431187794022407

i cheered so hard at the part thats just "JEFF". you'll know i mean when u see it

Omg. I cried! :kiddo: this is so wholesome

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

KakerMix posted:

ok ok this is a bit snippy but man I literally order a set of 4 (sometimes 5) tires from our Costco each month. Ours owns, and that executive membership is ace to have.

See, that's just smart. When they short you a tire on delivery, joke's on them because you only have four wheels on your car.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Devor posted:

See, that's just smart. When they short you a tire on delivery, joke's on them because you only have four wheels on your car.

:colbert:

Five.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

You go through a set of tires in one month?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
AWD burnouts like the AI Rockstar he is.

Pretty sure he goes through batteries just as fast.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

BONGHITZ posted:

You go through a set of tires in one month?

I'm a used car dealer, and the nature of what I deal in means batteries and tires constantly. Also means that executive membership compounds itself handily.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Why'd you let your tires get so bad that suddenly DAYS matter?

EDIT

Because my disk blew up in my neck and I was out of work for 4 months, and am not made of money that I can just buy new tires whenever I want. They were bad but not terrible while I earned some money to get them replaced, but they turned really poorly once I ordered the tires. Like loosing tread.

Also, yes I understand oversteer is a concern. But I can generally handle a fishtail a lot easier than having no traction on the tires where all the braking and steering and power comes from.

Also even if they weren't in terrible shape i'd still be having to go twice even though they sent the confirmation email that all 4 tires had arrived.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

CainFortea posted:

How much were you saving?

Unless it's a lot, you should have told them to pound sand and went somewhere else.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Has anyone used the Costco car buying program? Any thoughts on your experience if so?

Comrade_Robot
Mar 18, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Has anyone used the Costco car buying program? Any thoughts on your experience if so?

I used it a few years ago. My understanding is that new car pricing has become much more competitive than twenty years ago when I bought my last car, mostly because the internet exists. The Costco price was $100 cheaper than the 'online price' at another dealership, and I feel like I got a pretty decent deal, with the caveats that I was buying a sedan (unpopular), late in the year, and in a part of the country where hybrids are not super popular (and gas was super cheap at the time). The sales lady gave me a giant sheet with prices on them, and that was the price. I've heard that you could probably get a better price if you were a good haggler, but I'm not. Oh, and the finance dude was kind of pushy, but whatevs.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I forgot that Costco requires for you to buy two packages of their fuckoff sized muffins and decided to deliver some muffins to my friends/neighbors this morning since I don't have a ton of freezer space. Yay Costco!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The Hambulance posted:

How much were you saving?

Not nearly enough, but I was hard up this time and couldn't really afford to just fuckoff and go somewhere else.

Next time though going somewhere else.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

I’ve bought 3 cars with the auto program, most recent was 3 months ago.

You can save more money if you are good at haggling, but if you want a “submit form, get price, buy car” experience, it’s great. They quoted me a price $2500 off their internet price (outgoing model), all the dealer installed extras were automatically half price. I was in and out in under and hour with minimal fuss.

After the sale Costco also have me a parts discount coupon which I used to buy roof rails too.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i took the prime brisket i got from costco and cut it into point and flat, then cut each of those into two pieces and vacuum sealed them with salt and pepper. then i froze those. i chucked one right out of the freezer into a 139 f sous vide for 40 hours, then finished it on a gas grill at 400 for about an hour. it turned out fucken amazing. we ate it with a costco mac and cheese which was also very good. thumbs up on the costco brisket.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

also i've now tried about 80% of the different kinds of nice coffee at costco and found them all to be ok, but yesterday i was able to find the light roast ethiopian which i think is the last one i'll try before going back to the local roaster i buy from.

thecopsarehere
Jul 25, 2008

Another Costco tire complaint: I got a flat on the highway on Sunday. I would have easily been able to swap on my spare except that 2/5 lugs were overtorqued. I was jumping up and down on the wrench to no avail when the lugs are supposed only be torqued to around 110 foot pounds (I weigh like 160 pounds). Luckily a buddy nearby was able to help me with a breaker bar.

Not an uncommon thing to run into from incompetent mechanics but I hoped Costco would do better. When I called to complain, the manager did acknowledge that they must have been overtorqued, so that's good at least.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Hell Yeah posted:

thumbs up on the costco brisket.

I may have said this before but every year my father makes one of these for Christmas dinner. Best holiday meal I've ever had.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

FCKGW posted:

I’ve bought 3 cars with the auto program, most recent was 3 months ago.

You can save more money if you are good at haggling, but if you want a “submit form, get price, buy car” experience, it’s great. They quoted me a price $2500 off their internet price (outgoing model), all the dealer installed extras were automatically half price. I was in and out in under and hour with minimal fuss.

After the sale Costco also have me a parts discount coupon which I used to buy roof rails too.

Counter to this, I asked a dealer for pricing info and got the runaround for a week before I said gently caress it and ghosted the dealer. I got an email survey from Costco which I filled out and gave the dealer a poo poo review, and then someone from the Costco program called me to follow up and said thanks we'll follow up with the dealer.

FWIW it was a car the dealer didn't have stock of and they kept asking me if they wanted to order one for me -without giving me pricing information- on.

I bought my current car through the program in 2018 and the process was fine but the finance guy at the dealer said that since I got the Costco price I wasn't eligible for the promo APR rate from the manufacturer, which is explicitly allowed under the Costco program. They gave it to me but it was 20 minutes of them trying to stonewall me and me threatening to walk.

In summary car dealerships are loving garbage and the Costco program may or may not help.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

The Slack Lagoon posted:

In summary car dealerships are loving garbage and the Costco program may or may not help.

Costco is a powerful force for good, but car dealerships are immovable objects of terrible.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I tried to use the Costco auto program last spring, but I knew the car I wanted (VW GTI) and they didn't have any participating VW dealers in the region. Sucked.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Thanks all for the thoughts on the car buying process. I went ahead and used it to schedule a meeting with a dealer. I'll follow up with my thoughts.

Enos Cabell posted:

I tried to use the Costco auto program last spring, but I knew the car I wanted (VW GTI) and they didn't have any participating VW dealers in the region. Sucked.

The initial dealer it suggested for me didn't have the car I was interested in, but I found a dealer that did and set my zip code to near that dealer and it suggested that dealer instead. Obviously make the process a bit more involved but not too bad so far.

Geodude
Mar 21, 2004

Geodude used Reply to Thread! It's super effective!
Please keep us updated - I'm *thinking* about getting a new car soon and absolutely suck at haggling.

Recently had a party (all vaccinated) at my house and Costco really came through.

Flat of the Kirkland seltzers, pork shoulder and chicken meatballs in the slow cookers, hawaiian buns in bulk, potato salad bucket. Still had leftovers after feeding 10 people.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Geodude posted:

Please keep us updated - I'm *thinking* about getting a new car soon and absolutely suck at haggling.

Recently had a party (all vaccinated) at my house and Costco really came through.

Flat of the Kirkland seltzers, pork shoulder and chicken meatballs in the slow cookers, hawaiian buns in bulk, potato salad bucket. Still had leftovers after feeding 10 people.

With the car shortage going on be forewarned; it's absolutely a sellers market and smart dealers have already adjusted their Costco pricing upwards (they control the discount) to the highest margins allowed by the program now that the margins were relaxed.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

LMAO I bought two new cars in the depths of COVID and didn't realize there was now a car shortage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Right now is probably a far better than normal time to use Costco to buy a car just because the car market is so hosed up and overpriced right now.

We used them to buy my wife’s Accord because it was a rare model and the dealership didn’t want to let it go cheap. Costco saved us around $1500 I think.

But if I’d used them for my F-150 it probably would have cost me $1500 extra over haggling via email.