Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Hostile V posted:

Mukku's a cool dude. I hope good things happen to him.

He manages to be so jovial in the face of straight up, old school racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

He manages to be so jovial in the face of straight up, old school racism.

Going through Hell on Earth tends to harden you.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

howe_sam posted:

If you can tolerate their schtick (and that can be iffy for me) Blank Check did an Ishtar episode back in April.

The Flophouse has one also

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Alien units

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Classic Zits

A notably un-foobish conclusion to the car arc! Also with a great joke. Can’t really imagine that being published today tbh.
If anyone ever asks why this thread is so hard on foob again, I just need to post this side by side with the various 'teenagers want to drive' foob strips.

SubNat posted:

Honestly, from what I saw of this story as I scanned it in, I absolutely wouldn't begrudge the Moominfamily if they had little a murder, as a treat.
The amount of secondhand frustration is palpable.
She'd spend the entire murder going 'oh...I hope I'm not being a bother. But once you're done stabbing me would you mind telling me where the cookie jar is?'.

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I've seen Ishtar. It's not a great movie but it's hardly the worst I've ever seen. Caligula qualifies as the one movie in hell's video store.

Fun fact: I think Larson eventually apologized for this strip because he thought it was in poor taste.

e: Quoted the wrong cartoon.

Aquamarine.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Haifisch posted:

If anyone ever asks why this thread is so hard on foob again, I just need to post this side by side with the various 'teenagers want to drive' foob strips.

It's not lovely parenting AND it has a joke

Amazing

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Hostile V posted:

Mukku's a cool dude. I hope good things happen to him.

Mukku handles all the poo poo from the people in this town well enough that he's nearly a saint

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mukku did chase his wife with an axe once, but maybe he meant it in like an affectionate way

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Like you guys have never axed your wife a question.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Even Rane(?) doesn't deserve to be hit with an axe. Maybe an axe handle tho.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (October 31, 1933)

Peanuts (June 12, 1974)

Harry Dinkle, God Among Lesser Men

COVIDshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (January 8, 1938)

Out Our Way (October 8-10, 1936; spoilered for questionable motivations)

Toonerville Folks (September 17-19, 1917)

Dok's "The Positive Qualities Of An Adult Education" Duck (August 21, 1913)

Little Lefty, featuring a suspiciously familiar downhill racer. (November 22-24, 1934)

And now, because exactly one of you asked for it, something I'm going to call Blondie From Zero until a better idea comes along or I'm totally exhausted by adding another thing to my stack of stuff.

This is where I'd do a typical long-winded introduction, but first of all, Blondie's one of those things that's never really gone away, so you might have a passing familiarity with the type of thing that kicked it all off. Secondly, someone conveniently summed up the reason we'd want to go back to the beginning earlier today in handy bite-sized form.

https://twitter.com/jfruh/status/1402718710754791425

Which yeah, buddy, wouldn't take that timeline to court, but that's still how it feels. Anyway, cross your fingers and your toes while we see where this goes. (September 8-10, 1930)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 10, 2021

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Wild how the character designs are so different and yet I can absolutely see how they evolved into the modern ones.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is not good at haggling.

Working Daze looks down on its employees.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix lives in the margins.

Cul De Sac is just trying to be helpful.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (June 12, 1974)

Looking back on this storyline now... am I overreading, or is this about misogyny?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

EasyEW posted:

And now, because exactly one of you asked for it, something I'm going to call Blondie From Zero until a better idea comes along or I'm totally exhausted by adding another thing to my stack of stuff.

This is where I'd do a typical long-winded introduction, but first of all, Blondie's one of those things that's never really gone away, so you might have a passing familiarity with the type of thing that kicked it all off. Secondly, someone conveniently summed up the reason we'd want to go back to the beginning earlier today in handy bite-sized form.

https://twitter.com/jfruh/status/1402718710754791425

Which yeah, buddy, wouldn't take that timeline to court, but that's still how it feels. Anyway, cross your fingers and your toes while we see where this goes. (September 8-10, 1930)

This is wretched.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

NRVNQSR posted:

Looking back on this storyline now... am I overreading, or is this about misogyny?

I was just thinking that.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

EasyEW posted:

COVIDshaft

Probably!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Cul De Sac is just trying to be helpful.

Sure does!

And He Did! (June 22, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (August 3, 1918)

Banana Oil! (April 19, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (July 25, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (December 26, 1935)

Mopsy (February 24, 1937)

Dark Laughter (March 2, 1946)

Those Were the Days (September 17, 1953)

Dinky Fellas (December 15, 1965)

This is the last Dinky Fellas I can find. I’m pretty sure that’s the whole run.
Tomorrow, something new.

Wee Pals (September 15, 1965)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm excited for Golden Age Blondie.

Haifisch posted:

Wild how the character designs are so different and yet I can absolutely see how they evolved into the modern ones.

Right? It's like watching Critters 3 and realising that Leonardo DiCaprio always looked like Leonardo DiCaprio.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

You could power a small city with the Boomer energy coming off of Mordock999.

Scary Gary

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor is an accredited silviculturist.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/GeorgiaDunnBCN/status/1402854504135942145
I miss the watercolor style of BCN's webcomic run, although I understand that wouldn't translate at all to a nominally newspaper format.

And now my regular comics:
2018 Spiderman

I forgot that this part of the GRONNK arc was precision engineered to make me 'that's not how any of this works' every strip.

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

The Lockhorns did reappear on CK at some point today. :iiam:

I'm going to be sticking with the Arcamax ones since the CK ones are slightly washed out on comparison, even in the blacks. Because that really matters for the Lockhorns. :v:

Footrot Flats

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (October 8-10, 1936; spoilered for questionable motivations)

Does the fact that Ick can vote without taking a test, plus the timeline ("born thirty years too soon" implies OOW is 1906 to the published 1936), at all narrow down what state the cowboys are in?

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (September 25, 1999)
What is a "fat majorette"?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Tiggum posted:

What is a "fat majorette"?

wikipedia posted:

A majorette is a baton twirler whose twirling performance is often accompanied by dance, movement, or gymnastics; they are primarily associated with marching bands during parades. Majorettes can also spin knives, fire knives, flags, light-up batons, fire batons, maces and rifles. They do illusions, cartwheels, and flips, and sometimes twirl up to four batons at a time.[1] Majorettes are often confused with cheerleaders; baton twirling, however, is more closely related to rhythmic gymnastics than to cheerleading.

Basically she's saying she likes the halftime music and marching bands more than whatever the sportsmen are babbling about,

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

a majorette leads the band in performing and does like a routine with props during the halftime show

a fat majorette is fat

i didn't know janis was so fatphobic

e: fb

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Kid Fenris posted:

I remember being curious about why Calvin specifically mentions COLOR cable TV. As a kid I didn't know anyone who was stuck with black and white television.

Then again, I always wondered why Calvin apparently lived in a modern world without video games or home computers.

when is calvin's dad gonna run away to a farming commune

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Mister Olympus posted:

Does the fact that Ick can vote without taking a test, plus the timeline ("born thirty years too soon" implies OOW is 1906 to the published 1936), at all narrow down what state the cowboys are in?

The cowboy stuff, like the stuff that makes mother's grey hairs, is usually "present day", since the postwar ones swap out the Model Ts for Jeeps.

Williams' ranch hand days were in Arkansas and Oklahoma. The specifics of the I.W. Lane case pretty much takes Oklahoma out of the running. Making the call for Arkansas also gets complicated when you consider the prevailing conditions before WW2.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 10, 2021

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Schwarzwald posted:

Even into the mid 90s, it wasn't uncommon for there to be the friend (singular) who had the nintendo.

And they were always an rear end in a top hat, somehow.

Hey now! I had a Nintendo growing-

Oh...

Also the reason Calvin never talked about video games or computers was because Watterson was actually writing about his own childhood more than a modern one. It's a fairly common thing to see in kid's media actually. This is also why so many strips are about Calvin imagining himself as Flash Gordon, a show from the 60s.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: socially distanced Halloween party (October 29 - November 4, 2001)

Modern Kevin & Kell

Oh, here's Coney's grandma. (Yes, she's married to a squirrel.)

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I suppose it makes a kind of sense that anthropomorphic animals who kill and eat each other on the reg would have a blasé, risk-management gotta-wear-your-seatbelt attitude to it, but it never stops being weird as a reader

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

An Everett True crossover?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

The book remarks that these accusations are mostly false. Larsson couldn't really affect the destiny of István's father or brothers. He also didn't really steal the inheritance, although bought it for a very cheap price.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

manero
Jan 30, 2006

For the thread historians, it seems that with the partial archive of Waffleimages being restored, a lot of the images in old comic strip megathreads going all the way back suddenly work again... even the super old ones. There's some great FOOB material, so scope out the literal OP in this thread for the links.

E: Holy heck I forgot about the blinking

quote:

Nancy 1946 Is Appropriate

Same, Nancy

manero fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jun 10, 2021

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

manero posted:

For the thread historians, it seems that with the partial archive of Waffleimages being restored, a lot of the images in old comic strip megathreads going all the way back suddenly work again... even the super old ones. There's some great FOOB material, so scope out the literal OP in this for the links.

Wow, that's loving great.

Now bring back tinypic :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell in: socially distanced Halloween party (October 29 - November 4, 2001)

You're in costumes, not disguises. None of you even have your faces obscured except for Kevin.
How can anyone not be "spotted" right off?