Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Too bad I have no idea how to reliably quantify "ufo sightings" cuz it would be cool to compare that number that to the number of nuclear tests historically

Maybe they're just mad that a few fusion bombs going off now and again closes the interdimentional doorway to our local area of spacetime or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

youd for i posted:

https://www.uaptheory.com/

This site has an interesting breakdown of that puerto rico video. It may have been posted earlier in this thread.

Edit: didn't see it posted on the last page, sorry

I cracked pinged a little. I want to believe but I have some skeptic sticking points. One of my big ones is "Why haven't we found everything with how closely at monitor space and airspace now?". Expect if the report really is some level of soft disclosure that's exactly what's happening. The increasing number of cameras pointed to the sky did find things.

Dogthing
May 30, 2003

or is it.... just a dog??
Grimey Drawer

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Let's not forget the Israeli official who said there is a galactic federation so we could have a little bit of everything mixed in

including hyper-intelligent bird people

yess since december the poo poo that israeli said has been buzzing around in my head. With all the different probe/craft designs and behaviors being reported I can't help but be drawn to the notion that it really is the work of a multitude of different alien civilizations. If it ends up that the guy actually knew something about it and most or even part of the galaxy is actually chill and in communication, well, i think that would be nice :)

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

drat what if it turns out we're the oldest life and also the dumbest

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Was trawling ebay for some trashy paperbacks, found "A tongue-in-cheek look at the threat of extraterrestrial invasion.
Printed in 1978. 128 pages with many illustrations" with some cool mock-up logos:

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Jetto Jagga posted:

Was trawling ebay for some trashy paperbacks, found "A tongue-in-cheek look at the threat of extraterrestrial invasion.
Printed in 1978. 128 pages with many illustrations" with some cool mock-up logos:

A Chapo Trap House internet cool clique will 100% use one of these for their $5 a month patreon podcast.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

youd for i posted:

This site has an interesting breakdown of that puerto rico video. It may have been posted earlier in this thread.

Huh they mentioned gravitational lensing leading to the Einstein Cross (one object duplicated into several). Their whole theory is a gravitational weirdness engine moving the UAP around.

And the tic-tac was spotted above a cross-shaped section of agitated water. Now I wonder if it was just normal-shaped water but lensed around to cross-shape...and oh poo poo I'm down the rabbit hole.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Dogthing posted:

yess since december the poo poo that israeli said has been buzzing around in my head. With all the different probe/craft designs and behaviors being reported I can't help but be drawn to the notion that it really is the work of a multitude of different alien civilizations. If it ends up that the guy actually knew something about it and most or even part of the galaxy is actually chill and in communication, well, i think that would be nice :)

We really could use the break for once

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

whos got the vid of the iranian politician (?) talking about the ufo he saw

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

I cracked pinged a little. I want to believe but I have some skeptic sticking points. One of my big ones is "Why haven't we found everything with how closely at monitor space and airspace now?". Expect if the report really is some level of soft disclosure that's exactly what's happening. The increasing number of cameras pointed to the sky did find things.

i think it's good to still approach this stuff with a certain level of skepticism, especially since the whole UFO/UAP field does attract a lot of cranks and hucksters. it's reasonable to say that there's a large number of incidents of UAPs that defy conventional explanations, but it could well be that the actual explanation is something more mundane like an unexplained, unexplored natural phenomenon

it's understandable that people don't want to immediately rush to the more fanciful explanations for this stuff. you shouldn't think that you need to start believing in the presence of aliens simply because there's something inexplicable happening, but i think the opposite that we've seen from some so-called skeptics - rushing to try and come up with "natural" explanations - isn't helpful either and is more about padding their egos than engaging with a genuine mystery

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
The gravity drive hypothesis is pretty compelling, and they do have some "data" to suggest such a fanciful piece of technology.

If it's not a psyop, I'll buy that they're Von Neumann probes that run using gravy drives.

Edit: lmao gravy drives

mycomancy has issued a correction as of 05:01 on Jun 10, 2021

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I wonder if like coal power and stuff is endemic to all carbon based life planets or whatever and maybe a bunch of other species have global warmed themselves and there’s like a planetary global warming technician subcontractor alien species we can hire to fix the climate and stuff

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Gumball Gumption posted:

We (sans govt hypothetically) don't monitor local space to the degree you've potentially got in mind, and also actively have countermeasures to filter out all the human bs that is already there so that meaningful science or w/e can be done. Astronomers have seen weird poo poo for ages, but usually whatever it is (not incorrectly overall, imo) has been written off as natural phenomena.

Stuff like the giant black triangles make less sense in that calculus, but the vast majority of the sightings seem to rely on visible light, which isn't to my understanding used all that much vs all the other available wavelengths in serious terrestrial astronomy, so it isn't beyond reason that they could be transparent outside of visible light. Even if they aren't, theyre still a comparatively tiny patch of the sky that you're already focusing way beyond for a long time. I'm not sure the tictacs would even register on anything we have looking up unless we got extremely lucky.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken on any of that, though, I don't want to spread bad information

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

It really is funny and kinda sad how multiple people seem to be grasping at the idea of kind people being out there willing to help dumb vicious apes before we go over the cliff. :gbsmith:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ufo/comments/nw3t1n/maybe_were_going_to_make_contact_soon/

I'd really love to be surprised in this case though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

youd for i posted:

Made it through the whole thread with skepticism severely strained yet intact but this finally pinged me.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

A MIRACLE posted:

I wonder if like coal power and stuff is endemic to all carbon based life planets or whatever and maybe a bunch of other species have global warmed themselves and there’s like a planetary global warming technician subcontractor alien species we can hire to fix the climate and stuff

Most coal on earth is from the carboniferous period where trees existed but the fungi/animals to break down the wood didn't so huge piles of wood built up in forests and got eventually compressed into coal. Hell they might have some kind of "plant" that makes way better coal than wood did.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

If I were a space time tourist, I would probably show up to watch wars and the beginnings and ends of civilizations

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

Vermain posted:

i think it's good to still approach this stuff with a certain level of skepticism, especially since the whole UFO/UAP field does attract a lot of cranks and hucksters. it's reasonable to say that there's a large number of incidents of UAPs that defy conventional explanations, but it could well be that the actual explanation is something more mundane like an unexplained, unexplored natural phenomenon

it's understandable that people don't want to immediately rush to the more fanciful explanations for this stuff. you shouldn't think that you need to start believing in the presence of aliens simply because there's something inexplicable happening, but i think the opposite that we've seen from some so-called skeptics - rushing to try and come up with "natural" explanations - isn't helpful either and is more about padding their egos than engaging with a genuine mystery

what we've been trained to call skepticism is actually probably best described as an inclination towards enforcement of certain types of taboo. and regardless of what your inner 18th century lib political philosopher wants to tell you, taboos are inherently neither good nor bad. the results are no better than the motives and reasoning behind the taboo.

what popular skepticism is not is a critique which has even the slightest chance of overturning an erroneous orthodoxy, or even an habit of critique which helps one be less inclined to be deceived by oneself or others.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Slavvy posted:

Made it through the whole thread with skepticism severely strained yet intact but this finally pinged me.

:same: I'm all about some artificially intelligent extraterrestrial probes rocking Alcubierre drives

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Inspector Hound posted:

If I were a space time tourist, I would probably show up to watch wars and the beginnings and ends of civilizations

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

This entire sector is a demilitarized zone between multiple alien empires. The UFOs are simply observers from each of those empires sent to observe.

PawParole has issued a correction as of 05:06 on Jun 10, 2021

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Inspector Hound posted:

Oof

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

WEH posted:

We (sans govt hypothetically) don't monitor local space to the degree you've potentially got in mind, and also actively have countermeasures to filter out all the human bs that is already there so that meaningful science or w/e can be done. Astronomers have seen weird poo poo for ages, but usually whatever it is (not incorrectly overall, imo) has been written off as natural phenomena.

Stuff like the giant black triangles make less sense in that calculus, but the vast majority of the sightings seem to rely on visible light, which isn't to my understanding used all that much vs all the other available wavelengths in serious terrestrial astronomy, so it isn't beyond reason that they could be transparent outside of visible light. Even if they aren't, theyre still a comparatively tiny patch of the sky that you're already focusing way beyond for a long time. I'm not sure the tictacs would even register on anything we have looking up unless we got extremely lucky.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken on any of that, though, I don't want to spread bad information

Nah, that sounds right to me and I debated mentioning space for those reasons and the fact that everything that has come out doesn't necessarily mean whatever this is comes from doesn't. It's much more the cameras and equipment monitoring the air.

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ritorix posted:

Huh they mentioned gravitational lensing leading to the Einstein Cross (one object duplicated into several). Their whole theory is a gravitational weirdness engine moving the UAP around.

And the tic-tac was spotted above a cross-shaped section of agitated water. Now I wonder if it was just normal-shaped water but lensed around to cross-shape...and oh poo poo I'm down the rabbit hole.

Einstein Crosses/Rings are cool and very real but also we've only observed that poo poo on a much more massive scale and very far away so it would be cool to listen to a physicist talk about how it could be happening on such a small scale and artificially

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Gumball Gumption posted:

Nah, that sounds right to me and I debated mentioning space for those reasons and the fact that everything that has come out doesn't necessarily mean whatever this is comes from doesn't. It's much more the cameras and equipment monitoring the air.

Ah, I apologize. The only thing that I can think of is that most people aren't actively looking looking up to begin with, much less playing back and scrutinizing the countless hours of (until recently) low framerate and not much better than cell phone camera quality in terms of ability to discern detail at any distance footage. Getting into military tech it's the same as the poo poo they have looking downwards, better footage potentially exists but for reasons unknown they haven't seen fit to release it.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
Yeah that gravitational lensing stuff is really cool and seems convincing but I feel like it could also be complete uninformed bullshit

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
Which lol maybe this entire thread is complete uninformed bullshit but it's pretty fun!

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

It's the rare subject that is equally good food for thought and shitposting.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I'm just waiting for the pretentious privileged lit. journals to use this as fodder for talking about The Weird and Hyperobjects and Event and Boomer Mythology and poo poo as if this time the discourse is anomalous and new.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

quote:

4) The same technology can be used to lift objects (or people) off the ground. To do so, a beam needs to be projected to touch all the spacial points between the UAP and the ground. The beam is not what lifts objects. It is, again, the electromagnetic signal that produces the curvature and thus makes objects fall (gently) up into the vehicle. Since the objects are actually freely falling up, they should be weightless but need to be protected from moving sideways through the beam and falling out of it. This means the beam also produces a curvature that keeps objects from falling out. A person lifted by such a beam would thus feel a pressure from the sides but also experience weightlessness due to the free fall motion.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The prevalence of the black triangles make me kinda hopeful we're not dealing with an all-AI situation because you don't need giant ships if your brain can fit on a flashdrive, but you do if you have stupid meat bodies taking up precious space.

maybe the ships aren't big to them :tinfoil:

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Rah! posted:

maybe the ships aren't big to them :tinfoil:
i just wanna go outside and see a loving huge ufo parked in the sky

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
I read up on the Phoenix Lights earlier, had no idea that so many people (including the fuckin governor of Arizona!?) say they saw an actual craft at like roof level

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Delta-Wye posted:

its confusing because its BOTH interdimensional beings AND extraterrestrial beings (along with extraterrestrial interdimensional beings)

and they are all united in their desire to probe our soft supple bholes. watch out for your cornhole, goons

alien archaeologists wanted to learn the secrets of the ancient deity "Go'atsee", went back in time to the 20th and 21st centuries, did some research

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Rime is right in that this has been like coming up for a gasp of fresh air and dimming the dread and loathing that pretty much all terrestrial matters evoke in me.

So whatever else it is, real or not, at least I got that out of it. Maybe that is the whole point to a potential psyop

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Space mosquito just havin a sip of the Ionian Sea

quote:

Date and time of the sighting: March 7th, 2007, 19:30 to 19:35 and also 19:40 to 19:42.

Place: Messolonghi, (Western) Greece.

At the above time and date, in the night sky - the sunset had taken place an hour earlier - I saw a very bright object, stationary. The color was bright golden and the shape of the object like a cigar with a protruding thinner extension, vertically protruding from the upper part of the main body. The main body was a little longer than the extension. The extension was pointing towards the sea, almost vertically (but not totally). It looked like a mosquito. It remained immobile at the same spot on the horizon both times it appeared.

The angle to the horizon from my position was about 40 degrees. Its size, because of the distance involved (many miles in clear skies), was three times bigger than the size of the evening star observed at the same time. I was standing at the balcony of my flat, located in the town of Messolonghi, and the object appeared towards the west; in my opinion it was hovering over the Ionian Sea and before the island of Kephalonia (Copholonia).

NB A few miles to SW direction from Messolonghi, on Peloponese, there is a military air base.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

one thing I don't think is as significant a barrier as is often cited to aliens being here is the distance. alpha centauri is 4.5 light years away, a system with three stars (!) and exoplanets we have seen. that's literally our closest neighbor and the innumerable amount of other systems that are further beyond surely contain planets and "habitable zones" of their own. even without ftl there's plenty of space and time for poo poo to get here.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I just think whatever barriers feel quite surmountable when you think some alien civs could have been around in an intelligent sense for millions of years.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

OK baizuo posted:

It just doesn't make sense that they're disabling our nuclear weapons out of some benevolent concern. The existential threat to humanity is climate change from burning fossil fuels. If they cared about us they'd be shutting down oil refineries and coal plants not disabling a handful of ICBMs.

It suggests nuke tech is more of a threat to them, which, in the absence of any benevolent acts, should be exploited as leverage. Maybe whatever it is isn't as powerful as the crazy performance of these craft would suggest. Like, we haven't seen them moving mountains or interacting with mass in a way that suggests they could just drop an asteroid on the planet, for example. If fact the phenomenon seems to be characterized by a lack of interaction with mass, like flying tens of thousands of miles per hour through the atmosphere without creating a sonic boom. They do seem to be able to mess with electronics if you believe the stories from fighter pilots trying to lock on with targeting systems.

I haven't gone to geographically confirm it on google maps but I just got done listening to an Elizondo interview where he states that there was a uranium mine in close proximity to the Zimbabwe school UFO sighting. Not sure what to make of that if we accept the premise that it is relevant but it's interesting.

Edit: probably already got posted but here's the interview. It starts out a little awkwardly but imo ends up worth listening to if you haven't heard it yet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqtSWD6PYW8

pandy fackler has issued a correction as of 05:58 on Jun 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Azathoth posted:

there's an interesting calculus regarding ufos and social media that i think is underestimated

ufo talk on social media is something that's largely self-censoring. no one wants to look like a loon so most people who see something just go "well, that was weird" and get on with their lives, they certainly don't put it on social media where their family and potential employers can see it. but there's an inverse to that, where if there was a ufo flap like used to happen now and again, it stands a chance of really blowing up in a way that wasn't possible even a decade ago, what with everyone having (still lovely) cameras and ubiquitous social media access

if something like that happened, all eyes would immediately turn to the military, basically saying "so, was that you?" and when the inevitable "no, it wasn't us, ufos aren't real, you're all dumb hillbillies who had too much moonshine" explanation would be given, there's a distinct possibility that the story could get away from the military and it would turn into an old-fashioned congressional investigation like used to happen now and again. that something like that hasn't happened yet doesn't mean that it couldn't, and it wouldn't surprise me if there's a growing fear that it might

and if you're a member of military brass, you've basically got two primary things driving your job: 1) funnel as much money to the MIC as possible, and 2) not get hauled in front of congress to explain why you hosed up

played right, a careful rollout could drive 1), and the military is always on the lookout for new ways to get additional funds, and it helps to avoid 2)

:yeah: