Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I swear he’s said that a few times over the last 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I had no idea there was a Dynasty Warriors movie, but it looks perfect.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
They're making a Master and Commander prequel.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lid posted:

They're making a Master and Commander prequel.

Journeyman and Lieutenant

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

I don't get the "brand new characters" thing. The Queen, the Vatican, the Rothschilds, the Gettys and Colonel Sanders (before he went tits-up) aren't new characters.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Can,t wait.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I was baffled that they were speaking Cantonese. It's a Cantonese movie adaptation of a Japanese game about a Chinese novel. My brain's falling apart at whether Chinese nationalists are gonna hate this or not.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

this looks amazing

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Vegetable posted:

I was baffled that they were speaking Cantonese. It's a Cantonese movie adaptation of a Japanese game about a Chinese novel. My brain's falling apart at whether Chinese nationalists are gonna hate this or not.

It apparently did not do very well in the mainland China box office so don't expect much of a film

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I think I'd just watch Red Cliff again instead.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Tars Tarkas posted:

It apparently did not do very well in the mainland China box office so don't expect much of a film

Not sure they can really be considered arbiters of quality, don't the Transformers films always make huge amounts over there?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

It sounds not great (but I’m still going to watch it):
https://twitter.com/zhugeex/status/1390439113975910403?s=21

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

WonkyBob posted:

Not sure they can really be considered arbiters of quality, don't the Transformers films always make huge amounts over there?

The WarCraft movie made a fortune in China and even on the scale of poor video game to film adaptations that one was real low.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lid posted:

The WarCraft movie made a fortune in China and even on the scale of poor video game to film adaptations that one was real low.

China hated it too. The whole funny thing about it's massive success was that it made record smashing amounts of money on opening night then dropped off massively. Like chinese audiences did the classic 'a high budget video game movie? no way that can be bad!" that america has run face first into several times a few decades ago before figuring out it's always bad.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Today is the day lots of random anime spinoffs are being announced

quote:

Lord of the Rings’ Anime Feature Fast-Tracked by New Line Cinema and Warner Bros. Animation

New Line Cinema is returning to Middle Earth.

The studio behind the feature film trilogies “The Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit” is partnering with Warner Bros. Animation on the original anime theatrical feature “The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim.”

The stand-alone feature will depict the bloody saga behind Helm’s Deep, the fortress depicted in “The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers,” and the man in whose honor it’s named: Helm Hammerhand, the legendary King of Rohan who spent much of his reign locked in a prolonged and costly war.

Veteran anime filmmaker Kenji Kamiyama, who helmed Netflix’s “Ultraman” anime series, will direct the film from a screenplay by Jeffrey Addiss and Will Matthews (“The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance”). Joseph Chou (the “Blade Runner: Black Lotus” TV series) is producing.

While the filmmaking team is new to the “Lord of the Rings” movie franchise, the project is intended to be connected to director Peter Jackson’s six Middle Earth films based on the books of J.R.R. Tolkien. Philippa Boyens, who won an Oscar for the screenplay for “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King,” is consulting on the project, which will also draw its aesthetic and narrative inspiration from the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy.

“The War of the Rohirrim” is not, however, connected to Amazon’s gargantuan “Lord of the Rings” series that is deep into production in New Zealand. That project is set in the Second Age of Middle Earth, millennia before the events of the feature films; Helm Hammerhand’s reign, by contrast, unfolded roughly 260 years before the “LOTR” movies.

With Amazon’s series looming, New Line and Warner Animation are fast-tracking their feature, with animation at Sola Entertainment and voice casting already underway. The six Middle Earth features have grossed over $5.8 billion worldwide for Warner Bros., and it would appear the studio is not content ceding its claim to Tolkien’s creative territory to Amazon.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/lord-of-the-rings-anime-the-war-of-the-rohirrim-new-line-cinema-warner-bros-animation-1234993740/

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

China hated it too. The whole funny thing about it's massive success was that it made record smashing amounts of money on opening night then dropped off massively. Like chinese audiences did the classic 'a high budget video game movie? no way that can be bad!" that america has run face first into several times a few decades ago before figuring out it's always bad.

Sonic the Hedgehog was okay and did okay, which should have been a warning sign for the rest of 2020 paying off that karma.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I will only accept this if its done in the style of the original animated hobbit cartoons.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I'd probably write this off immediately if not for Kamiyama.

This also reminds me that I never did get around to watching the new GitS SAC show/season that I think was mostly panned due to the animation style.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jerkface posted:

I will only accept this if its done in the style of the original animated hobbit cartoons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWjt6LGhHsI

That'd own

Do the dialogue like that too

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 11, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rankin Bass Hobbit > Bakshi LOTR

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The 'it made money in China' factoid comes from the studio that distributed it over there used it to hide a poo poo ton of laundered money. They reported enough ticket sales in one town to account for 25-30 tickets per showing in every theater for 3-4 weeks despite the town being evacuated due to flooding.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

RBA Starblade posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWjt6LGhHsI

That'd own

Do the dialogue like that too

Is this narrated by the snowman from Rudolph

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Sirotan posted:

I'd probably write this off immediately if not for Kamiyama.

This also reminds me that I never did get around to watching the new GitS SAC show/season that I think was mostly panned due to the animation style.

Whatever do you mean

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

duz posted:

Whatever do you mean

I mean, that strategy works in Dark Souls.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

duz posted:

Whatever do you mean

I love this sequence. It gets so much stupider each time you watch it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Didn’t like the Jackson version of the Hobbit, and it got worse as it went along. I haven’t seen the Rankin-Bass version since 4th grade when I didn’t care for it when it turned into kind of a lame musical. I should give it another shot some time.

The voice of Frosty starred in a Z-grade horror movie called Microwave Massacre late in his life. Haven’t seen it but I’ve heard it’s something else. https://youtu.be/-er2kA4236w

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

duz posted:

Whatever do you mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRZ2Sh5-XuM

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

"I'm going to make a Lord of the Rings movie".
"Oh that'll be really expensive and I don't think special effects are there yet".
"Actually it's going to be animated".
"Wow! In that case we can really go all out with the fantasy and really bring Tolkien's work to life!"
"No my Orcs are literally going to be unanimated live-action people in dime-store halloween masks, they won't even be rotoscoped like the main characters".
"But what about all the impossible creatures like the Balrog?"
"I'm just going to put a lion head and canvas wings on someone that are so unwieldy he can't move. Then I'll have him fly and instead of animating it I'll just move him around the animation cell".
"Also I'm going to stop halfway through the second book".

I have a soft spot in my heart for the Rankin-Bass movies, even if they're not perfect they have a lot of heart. But the Bakshi one is just garbage from start to finish. Like he somehow found a way to put actors losing control of their horses or tripping over their own props into an animated film. That kind of incompetence takes talent.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I kind of like the insanity of Bakshi’s LOTR. I didn’t even know it existed until I saw it being sold on VHS to capitalize on the then current Jackson trilogy.

I’m still a bit shocked Jackson was allowed to make his trilogy based on his previous body of work. Of course the first non LOTR Jackson movie I saw was Meet the Feebles.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I loved Bakshi LOTR as a kid and watched it over and over again before I read the books. I haven't seen it since and never want to watch it again because I don't want to ruin it for myself, even though I did buy it on dvd like 15 years ago

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

wyoming posted:

I mean, that strategy works in Dark Souls.

Invaded by dark spirt Nekkid******in

Casimir Radon posted:

I kind of like the insanity of Bakshi’s LOTR. I didn’t even know it existed until I saw it being sold on VHS to capitalize on the then current Jackson trilogy.

I’m still a bit shocked Jackson was allowed to make his trilogy based on his previous body of work. Of course the first non LOTR Jackson movie I saw was Meet the Feebles.

iirc the producers at New Line watched it after greenlighting and went "we just gave this guy X million dollars"

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jun 11, 2021

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Casimir Radon posted:

Wasn't The Frighteners what sold Jackson for LOTR? Not a great film, but showed he could handle a budget and effects.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

nonathlon posted:

Wasn't The Frighteners what sold Jackson for LOTR? Not a great film, but showed he could handle a budget and effects.

I wouldn't call it great, but it was still pretty good.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

A few friends and I were huge Peter Jackson fans long before LOTR, and were all pretty shocked yet stoked that he got the gig. But the best was when we did a movie night with a larger group of friends who were mostly LOTR book fans and had no idea about Jacksons previous work. After Brain Dead, Meet the Feebles, and Bad Taste they were all convinced the LOTR movies would be an absolute shitshow.

We could have just watched The Frighteners and Heavenly Creatures, but where would be the fun in that?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

duz posted:

Whatever do you mean

:lmao:

I didn't think there were any major productions that used Poser

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

galagazombie posted:

"I'm going to make a Lord of the Rings movie".
"Oh that'll be really expensive and I don't think special effects are there yet".
"Actually it's going to be animated".
"Wow! In that case we can really go all out with the fantasy and really bring Tolkien's work to life!"
"No my Orcs are literally going to be unanimated live-action people in dime-store halloween masks, they won't even be rotoscoped like the main characters".
"But what about all the impossible creatures like the Balrog?"
"I'm just going to put a lion head and canvas wings on someone that are so unwieldy he can't move. Then I'll have him fly and instead of animating it I'll just move him around the animation cell".
"Also I'm going to stop halfway through the second book".

I have a soft spot in my heart for the Rankin-Bass movies, even if they're not perfect they have a lot of heart. But the Bakshi one is just garbage from start to finish. Like he somehow found a way to put actors losing control of their horses or tripping over their own props into an animated film. That kind of incompetence takes talent.

It’s kind of good if you mute it and listen to Achilles Last Stand while watching the battle scenes.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

duz posted:

Whatever do you mean

Just watched the trailer and it was... Not great.

"Can we make it sort of look like Clone Wars but with a quarter of the budget?"

Lid posted:

Ah yes, the first part of the Duncan Jones Destroys His Career duology.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

just imagine him flipping to Yakkity Sax and it's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

duz posted:

Whatever do you mean

It's so bad it's almost mesmerizing to watch.