Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Caesar Saladin posted:

yeah they should definitely stop creating action rpgs with some of the best crafted levels and art in any game and instead make a mech game nobody cares about

I don’t even know where to begin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Serephina posted:

Hard disagree. Mechs can come in any shape and size, from treaded to flying. Mechs also intrinsicly have a few more "non-human" systems to them, including heat/energy for basic movement, often have actual turn-rates instead of instant mouse responsiveness, detailed damage and degragation states instead of just an HP bar, so on so forth. You could be amazing at a pvp mech game while being totally crosseyed and unable to hit poo poo in a traditional fps.

Yeah, but for the most part, non human systems are basically a roundabout way of doing a simple functions in an fps . Instead of just using a stick to go left, right, fwd, back, it might serve as combo throttle/turret or whatever. You are still using the stick to go up down left right. It's just a more convoluted way of doing the same thing.

Which isn't necessarily bad. it's all there for immersion, and done well it can be cool. Imo It is probably why mech games aren't very popular though. Personally I'd rather have the mech control like a normal game with a bunch of cool audio visual stuff to sell it.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
And now I'm reminded of how awful the controls in Armored Core 2 on PS2 were. You walked back and forth and turned with the left stick and strafed and looked up and down with the right. I have no idea why anyone at FROM figured this was a good idea considering plenty of other games had set the standard by the time it was published.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There was a Mech game on the DS where the gimmick was the robot was on top and all the controls on the touch screen. The gimmick was each mech had different controls and they got wild. The mech that looks like a train? You gotta throw coal into the furnace to keep it powered up and manage its heat levels and all the other controls and lever based actuators.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Custom Robo is the best robot. It also totally had the best dialog noises. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYSPb544Rdc&t=1791s

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Quote-Unquote posted:

Square enix are the worst publisher.

They funnel unlimited money into terrible anime poo poo games at the expense of actually good games.

They just spent millions on making the graphics in final fantasy 7 remake slightly less terrible but Deus ex, thief and sleeping dogs are dead forever lol

I wish they let go of those IP's so something good can come of them. It feels as if they grudgingly use their western games to funnel cash towards their trash movies/manga/merch. Or covering the costs of shitshows like FF14-1 and FF13 Versus.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Quote-Unquote posted:

I'm sure anime games can be not poo poo but square enix only produces the poo poo variety.

square enix definitely produces some good anime games but they tend to be domestic and low profile. kingdom hearts? poo poo anime game. scarlet grace? :psyduck: mechanics rabbit hole anime game

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Cabbages and Kings posted:

the combat in Reckoning: Kingdoms of Amalur was fun

Kingdom of Amalur was a lot better than it got credit for. Combat was fun and the world was pretty. I enjoyed it a whole bunch and should probably grab the remaster sometime.

It just had, y'know, way, way, way too many loving sidequests. :negative:

Barudak posted:

There was a Mech game on the DS where the gimmick was the robot was on top and all the controls on the touch screen. The gimmick was each mech had different controls and they got wild. The mech that looks like a train? You gotta throw coal into the furnace to keep it powered up and manage its heat levels and all the other controls and lever based actuators.

That sounds amazing. Any idea what game that was?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I bought Cyberpunk shortly after release.

I enjoyed it. It'll be cool if they fix and improve it. I won't be bothered if they don't.

It's not a super awesome game, but I've spent more of worse. And keeping me occupied for like 20 hours is fine for a videogame in my opinion.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Barudak posted:

Gonna need a name for this one.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Mech assault: phantom war? Seems similar to the description after a quick google.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its not Mech Assault, it was afaik a Japanese only title and the controls were absolutely wild on the bottom screen. Of course my vague memories make this fuckin ungoogleable.

Found it: Super Control Mecha MG

Barudak fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jun 10, 2021

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I think the game you're all after is called "Shogo: mobile armor division"

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Quote-Unquote posted:

They funnel unlimited money into terrible anime poo poo games at the expense of actually good games.

They just spent millions on making the graphics in final fantasy 7 remake slightly less terrible but Deus ex, thief and sleeping dogs are dead forever lol

Deus ex, thief, and sleeping dogs are trash and its good that they're dead

Barudak
May 7, 2007

!Klams posted:

Only the finest FPS game about your girlfriend dying so you immediately move onto dating her sister

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Quote-Unquote posted:

Even if they reboot them they would never have the same style and design as the old games.

Except sleeping dogs, ive got nothing against it but its not the same level

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

jokes posted:

I don’t even know where to begin

Never stop appealing to the lowest common denominator!

itry
Aug 23, 2019

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Even if they reboot them they would never have the same style and design as the old games.

Except sleeping dogs, ive got nothing against it but its not the same level

Why would they need to reboot them? :confused:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

itry posted:

Why would they need to reboot them? :confused:

Because they are old

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Even if it was a good reason (it isn't), DE:MD is from 2016. Sleeping Dogs is from 2012. The latest Thief was a bad reboot so I guess that doesn't matter.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

itry posted:

Even if it was a good reason (it isn't), DE:MD is from 2016. Sleeping Dogs is from 2012. The latest Thief was a bad reboot so I guess that doesn't matter.

Oh sorry I thought you mean original Deus Ex. Yeah Sleeping Dogs ain't that old but I posted earlier that I don't think it belongs in the same bracket as Thief or Deus Ex (2000), games which are now approaching 25 years old and feel seriously out of date

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

leave thief alone, 1 and 2 are still good to play and don't need a lovely reboot. Thief 4 was so bad.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Oh sorry I thought you mean original Deus Ex. Yeah Sleeping Dogs ain't that old but I posted earlier that I don't think it belongs in the same bracket as Thief or Deus Ex (2000), games which are now approaching 25 years old and feel seriously out of date

Nah, I was thinking the latest DE's. I rather like what Eidos-Montréal was trying to do and I'd like to see more from them. Without dumb microtransactions and tacked on Breach nonsense this time.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Caesar Saladin posted:

leave thief alone, 1 and 2 are still good to play and don't need a lovely reboot. Thief 4 was so bad.

I'd just like them to feel a bit more modern

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Quote-Unquote posted:

the western stuff they produced ended up mostly being garbage or mediocre, even the passable stuff like the new tombraiders or deus ex were hamhanded retreads of games that were more interesting 10-20 years prior. I'm sure they helped guide those games in that direction but I doubt the unsoiled products were going to be that remarkable. The only exception I'd grant would be hitman 2016.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jun 10, 2021

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

They rebooted Thief, it was called Dishonored. They rebooted Deus Ex, it was called Deus Ex: Something Something. They rebooted Sleeping Dogs, it was called "play GTA V and then some Batman".

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

veni veni veni posted:

The problem with mech games to me is that a mech has basically the form factor of a human, so the end of the day a mech game usually just an FPS or a TPS. But then how do you make it feel like a mech? Well, you can make the controls all complex and turn standard, perfectly good shooter control schemes into a bloated mess, so it will feel more like a "simulator". That just makes everything feel clunky, you can make everything slow and lumbering, which is not as fun as just having snappy controls...or you can ignore all that poo poo and then it's barely a mech game anymore.

At the same time mechs are undeniably badass. Which is why I think they are best suited to be used sometimes in games instead of all the time. it's much funner to be running around as a regular dude, then you get into a mech, and all of a sudden those guys/vehicles you were just going head to head with are a bunch of little ants on the ground, and you can just lay waste to them. I don't think being in a mech is that fun unless you have to juxtaposition of not being in a mech in the game. This is why Titanfall 2 is the best mech game.

This post made me recall Shogo: Mobile Armor Division, an FPS/mech game hybrid from the 90s that I got in a budget jewel case sometime in the 2000s. I haven't played it in years, but my recollection of it is that it is way more original and fun than most of the other shooters I played back in the day. It focused on the single player, while offering much more variety than a traditional FPS, when even as far back as the early 2000s I thought that FPSs were getting stale.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Is Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri a mech game? If so, it's a good mech game! Really good.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

!Klams posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqHcKjzjJpk

:psyduck:

Dariusz2k
Dec 11, 2006

Monos Bullet posted:

Gamers? More like GAYmers!

Some of them anyways.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shogo is what happens when you say "I want to make an anime" and the only way you know how to draw is the same horrific engine that created Blood 2

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Barudak posted:

Shogo is what happens when you say "I want to make an anime" and the only way you know how to draw is the same horrific engine that created Blood 2

LithTech is the same engine thats used in Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor and FEAR games

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Mech games need to have chunky mechanical monstrosities and not pretty samurais in fancy armor with jetpacks. It doesn't matter though because the genre is deader than dead. I expect it to make a comeback when technology gets to the level that you can have realistic looking real time destructible cities in games.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

yeah i love clunky monstrosities, its like an fps that just controls worse and is less fun to play in every way

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Caesar Saladin posted:

yeah i love clunky monstrosities, its like an fps that just controls worse and is less fun to play in every way

the witcher 2 is a mech game

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

Hell yeah, and if they can have some kind of Steel Battalion style controller to make it even harder to control even better.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Old Monolith was awesome

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Nice Van My Man posted:

Hell yeah, and if they can have some kind of Steel Battalion style controller to make it even harder to control even better.

Unironically this. Give me full immersion.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

is steel battalion even a good game? people only talk about the controller gimmick. I bet it sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Shogo still holds up but is sadly very crash happy on modern machines. Kinda weird since it runs on the same exact engine as Blood 2 which is perfectly fine.

Anyway, Mass Effect 3 is a mech game.