Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

God, UK news makes our lovely news look great. Never thought I’d feel bad for royalty but I feel bad for Harry and meagan. Also I like that they are gonna try to burn their bridges with the US because Biden doesn’t want a repeat of the troubles.

Being a part of the royal family has ruined Harry's life in ways the general public will probably never fully know, just like it did his mother's life, so I don't blame him for wanting to get and stay the hell away from that abominable outmoded institution that is literal centuries overdue for abolition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Grouchio posted:

I blew my major on Political Science and Economics and post-2020 my enthusiasm to getting into politics is spent! I don't even know if talent will prevail here! :suicide:

i finished a political science master's degree in 2018 and i manage social media accounts for nonprofit organizations. which is an awesome job but lol

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
You just know that Boris Johnson hates having to deal with a president that isn’t staring-right-in-the-middle-of-a-eclipse stupid, because he can’t hide his own utter shittyness as easily.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Push El Burrito posted:

When you think about it weren't we all born tube station?

:lol:

BigglesSWE posted:

You just know that Boris Johnson hates having to deal with a president that isn’t staring-right-in-the-middle-of-a-eclipse stupid, because he can’t hide his own utter shittyness as easily.

Probably. Johnson's likely not too happy that Biden was very vocal about how much he disliked Johnson, as well as the Northern Ireland issue and Brexit.

Though I do wonder what this "Renewed Atlantic Charter" ends up being, either the usual "We're still best friends" statement or something more related to the pandemic.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I do remember a lot of jokes a few years ago that the plan for Brexit was trick Trump into a bunch of awful trade deals, while pretending he got one over on them.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

cr0y posted:

As someone who is in the housing market it's really loving awesome to basically have to commit to the biggest purchase of my life with about 30 minutes notice.

Yeah I'm looking at this now and realistically I kinda just want the entire thing to implode again because holy gently caress it is insane.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Handsome Ralph posted:

:lol:

Probably. Johnson's likely not too happy that Biden was very vocal about how much he disliked Johnson, as well as the Northern Ireland issue and Brexit.

Though I do wonder what this "Renewed Atlantic Charter" ends up being, either the usual "We're still best friends" statement or something more related to the pandemic.

probably. biden and co will keep the screaming "mostly" behind closed doors outside some "leaks" or such.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah I'm looking at this now and realistically I kinda just want the entire thing to implode again because holy gently caress it is insane.

Just live either:

- Outside of a major urban area (there are still tons of metro areas with more than 250k people that have reasonable housing options in Minnesota, Utah, South Carolina, North Carolina, Delaware, Nebraska, New Jersey, Nevada, Missouri, Kansas, Montana, Maryland, Maine, or Rhode Island).

or

- Look in a "bad" neighborhood that doesn't have a massive amount of crime.

I got my house for 15% under the average cost at the time because it was 10 minutes farther out from the city and in a good area that was part of "the bad" county. Don't live anywhere with a ton of bars nearby and you can drop the price even further.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Just live either:

- Outside of a major urban area (there are still tons of metro areas with more than 250k people that have reasonable housing options in Minnesota, Utah, South Carolina, North Carolina, Delaware, Nebraska, New Jersey, Nevada, Missouri, Kansas, Montana, Maryland, Maine, or Rhode Island).

or

I got my house for 15% under the average cost at the time because it was 10 minutes farther out from the city and in a good area that was part of "the bad" county. Don't live anywhere with a ton of bars nearby and you can drop the price even further.

There is not a single thing in Nevada. We have precisely two metros. Vegas is getting really dumb, and Reno just hit 600k median home price.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Mr. Wiggles posted:

There is not a single thing in Nevada. We have precisely two metros. Vegas is getting really dumb, and Reno just hit 600k median home price.

Median home price in Reno is ~430k, which actually is pretty crazy for Reno (and is somehow nearly 30% higher than Vegas?!?).

Median home price in Vegas is $344k and there are quite a few houses in the ~250k range in the suburbs.

If you get 20+ minutes out of Vegas it gets even cheaper.

Vegas is actually still one of the better metro areas for median income to cost of living ratio.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Las-Vegas_NV/overview

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Just live either:

or

I know for a fact that prices in Rhode Island have exploded. Not as much, but it definitely happened, nothing that's available is what I would consider "reasonable", just closer to it. What you seem to be missing is that those locations were always "under the average cost", and the people who would previously have bought them now can't afford to.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Back in 2013 I bought a home in NW Florida, one of the most insane regions in the country for house prices. It's ~1200 sq. feet in a poor part of town and the house itself was built in 1958. I paid ~$95k for it.

The house is now 8 years older. The only thing I've done to upgrade it is put in a new sink and make the front yard look like an enchanted forest.

Somehow this 63 year-old house is now "worth" $160,000. 8 years older, no renovation to speak of, and worth $65,000 more. Why yes, the free market is 100% rational and always makes the best decisions due to its magical nature.

The $60k house we uh "looked at" that I can best describe as "a Saw dungeon made out of concrete blocks with a broken window A/C and a literal loving garbage dump in the backyard" is now appraising at $90k. It's a loving one-story literally made from mortared concrete blocks.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
The most hosed part is how rich peopls demand for empty homes raises the tax of all the homeowners who have been living in an area for decades when it was considered "undesirable", but now rich people want the property so sooner or later they are going to get it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Harold Fjord posted:

The most hosed part is how rich peopls demand for empty homes raises the tax of all the homeowners who have been living in an area for decades when it was considered "undesirable", but now rich people want the property so sooner or later they are going to get it.

Sounds like Gentrification to me!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Harold Fjord posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if those rich people actually lived in them, but many of them are just grabbing the property for investment or a hedge or to exfiltrate capital from places like China. Meanwhile everyone is getting priced out and forced to rent and turning places into ghost towns, which kills local businesses which means people have less income and just accelerates it further.

Honestly almost all of this can be traced to money getting concentrated at the top, and those huge pools of money chasing fewer and fewer opportunities. As it sloshes around it makes and pops bubbles and each time more wealth is transferred up

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

There has to be some kind of solution that would actually help people while not screwing the state ala California, maybe locking in property tax rates appraisals for owner occupied properties only (limit of one if filing jointly and zero if you can be claimed as a dependent by some other person), while maintaining annual reappraisals and rate adjustments for vacant and rental properties and idle land.

And iunno guillotining a few tens of thousands of people, just spitballing here

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Just FYI that Blackrock tweet thread eventually leads to the conclusion that the Jews are perpetrating a “Great Reset” by faking COVID to kick people out of their homes. Please don’t retweet it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

JonathonSpectre posted:

The $60k house we uh "looked at" that I can best describe as "a Saw dungeon made out of concrete blocks with a broken window A/C and a literal loving garbage dump in the backyard" is now appraising at $90k. It's a loving one-story literally made from mortared concrete blocks.

Isn't that mostly just buying the lot though? In my country and it's ridiculous property market a small site with planning permission could be 400k in a nice metro area. And the listings I see in Vancouver are terrifying

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1402980549204000768?s=20

Yeah, the OIG really didn't even do a good cover up.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Median home price in Reno is ~430k, which actually is pretty crazy for Reno (and is somehow nearly 30% higher than Vegas?!?).

Median home price in Vegas is $344k and there are quite a few houses in the ~250k range in the suburbs.

If you get 20+ minutes out of Vegas it gets even cheaper.

Vegas is actually still one of the better metro areas for median income to cost of living ratio.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Las-Vegas_NV/overview

There is nothing 20 minutes from Vegas.

Also Reno at 600k: https://amp.rgj.com/amp/7608529002

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr. Wiggles posted:

There is nothing 20 minutes from Vegas.

Also Reno at 600k: https://amp.rgj.com/amp/7608529002

Other than Air Force bases and barren national security zones.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Just live either:

or

The Dummies Guide to Buying a House isn't really relevant to a discussion of the current insane housing market. Within the last few weeks in my ruralish town a guy up the street decided to get in on the action and had a realtor list his house for around $950k. It sold immediately to an out of state buyer sight unseen. Other, more modest homes in town are likewise selling just as fast and in some cases for over the asking price. That's not normal, or at least it's not normal for this area. poo poo is crazy right now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ozmunkeh posted:

The Dummies Guide to Buying a House isn't really relevant to a discussion of the current insane housing market. Within the last few weeks in my ruralish town a guy up the street decided to get in on the action and had a realtor list his house for around $950k. It sold immediately to an out of state buyer sight unseen. Other, more modest homes in town are likewise selling just as fast and in some cases for over the asking price. That's not normal, or at least it's not normal for this area. poo poo is crazy right now.

I was talking to a realtor friend and this has been happening everywhere. Houses going for 3-4 times their value and under contract within days.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Just live either:

The Carolinas are completely ridiculous as well. Asheville, GSP, Raleigh are all skyrocketing, to say nothing of Charlotte or Charleston.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

FCKGW posted:

Just FYI that Blackrock tweet thread eventually leads to the conclusion that the Jews are perpetrating a “Great Reset” by faking COVID to kick people out of their homes. Please don’t retweet it.

Yeah it's typical, starting off relatively logical enough with a really big and legit problem, but slowly gets more and more insane the further the thread goes.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

The best solution to the housing issue is to just charge normal property tax for a home you live in, and annually double the rate of tax for properties owned but not lived in by the owner, say 181 days a year. That way normal people who need a house to live in, are good to go, and investors can choose to invest, but they will help pay the town/city expenses while they do it.

I lived in a condo building two years ago, and 40% of our building was empty due to investor purchases. It was actually nice because it kept wear and tear down on the building, but man, it was odd.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

ozmunkeh posted:

Housing prices are a continuing issue, but right now there are several acute factors effecting supply and demand that are causing it to be completely insane and I don't think that's permanent. The eviction and foreclosure moratorium effects supply in both the rental and housing markets, and high rental prices drives demand in the housing market because it's an alternative product. Also lumber costs have cause the cost of new construction to skyrocket, further constraining supply. On top of this there's a lot of people who were on the bubble of home ownership who are benefiting from the ARP and/or are part of the economy that's doing really well in the recovery who are looking to buy while interest rates are still low.

There's also always additional local factors in housing markets (I live near Boston and it's insane regardless of national trends) as well.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that people not losing their houses is a problem, it just isn't without unintentional second-order effects.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

FizFashizzle posted:

The Carolinas are completely ridiculous as well. Asheville, GSP, Raleigh are all skyrocketing, to say nothing of Charlotte or Charleston.

:smith: Yeah.

Raleigh is also getting even more crazy after the Apple news.

follow that camel!!
Jan 1, 2006

XtraSmiley posted:

The best solution to the housing issue is to just charge normal property tax for a home you live in, and annually double the rate of tax for properties owned but not lived in by the owner, say 181 days a year. That way normal people who need a house to live in, are good to go, and investors can choose to invest, but they will help pay the town/city expenses while they do it.

Wouldn’t this just be ABC Corp sells the house to BCD Corp every 364 days? A new LLC is $200 here and that’s less than property taxes doubling. I’m on board with the idea, just don’t see how you prevent the shell game.

Edit: I guess they do this with weed businesses in WA where you can only have three and any ownership interest in a corporation counts as 1. So maybe like that.

follow that camel!! fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 10, 2021

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

XtraSmiley posted:

I lived in a condo building two years ago, and 40% of our building was empty due to investor purchases. It was actually nice because it kept wear and tear down on the building, but man, it was odd.

I worked in a community with a lot of second home owners and the wailing and gnashing of teeth that they were tax payers and being treated unfairly because the town was going to charge a higher right for rental/summer properties was astounding. And the vote ended up failing which made it worse! But yes, if you use your second property as an income property you deserve a way higher property tax rate.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

follow that camel!! posted:

Wouldn’t this just be ABC Corp sells the house to BCD Corp every 364 days? A new LLC is $200 here and that’s less than property taxes doubling. I’m on board with the idea, just don’t see how you prevent the shell game.

You could do a couple things:

1) Tax the sale of a house under a year of purchase at a higher rate.
2) tie the tax rate on the property use.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

The housing shortages appear to be an international problem. I’m hearing about it happening in traditionally inexpensive places like Germany. Basically every western country seems to be in the middle of a giant asset price bubble. Only I’m not even sure if it’s a bubble anymore. It might actually be real and never end.

In Canada we have been dealing with this since 2003. It started in metro areas like Vancouver and Toronto and skyrocketed until Toronto started cannibalizing venues like bars, restaurants and nightclubs (precisely these sort of places you live a convenient walk from in the first place!) into shoebox style condo towers worth 400k+ USD for a 500-390 sqft 1 bedroom. They aren’t even 1 bedroom and would better be described as a bachelor apartment with a cubby for your bed and a sliding door. I think people were willing to pay those big bucks as either “investors” (read: absentee landlords) or just to live that high end city lifestyle where you aren’t home or cooking at home so it’s just an alcove for you to sleep while the city itself is your “living room”.

Covid changed all that. People abandoned the city, realized they wanted more room and only had nature related activities as an outlet due to lockdowns and social distancing. So now you have remote regions experiencing skyrocketing property values as people ditch the city and start questing for more living space so they don’t have to see their children or their partners for the duration of their work day.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

But yes, if you use your second property as an income property you deserve a way higher property tax rate.

Vacant properties, second or third + homes, and idle land as well, whether it's generating income or not. People (and living trusts I guess, since those represent people), and not corporations or other institutional owners, should get a good rate one exactly one residential property. Anything beyond should be taxed at a far, far higher rate. And like I said upthread, none of this well these other ones are titled in my minor children's names (or trusts established in their names) shell game bullshit. And nothing grandfathered in. New rules apply to everyone.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The best solution is to ban corporations from owning homes.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Kraftwerk posted:

The housing shortages appear to be an international problem. I’m hearing about it happening in traditionally inexpensive places like Germany. Basically every western country seems to be in the middle of a giant asset price bubble. Only I’m not even sure if it’s a bubble anymore. It might actually be real and never end.

Yeah, that's the thing that's scaring me the most right now about housing.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Wife and I are basically resigned to not owning a home until our parents have died and we're able to sell one or both of theirs. And like, we do alright! We're pretty bougie! But you can't chase a bubble being pumped by cash buyers who will buy sight unseen. I don't know where all this money is coming from. It's crazy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I bought a townhouse a couple years ago; we were going to try and sell to get a single family home a few years later and I'm thinking that's not going to happen lol

It's a nice house though

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ReidRansom posted:

Wife and I are basically resigned to not owning a home until our parents have died and we're able to sell one or both of theirs. And like, we do alright! We're pretty bougie! But you can't chase a bubble being pumped by cash buyers who will buy sight unseen. I don't know where all this money is coming from. It's crazy.

Companies and investors. Its all dark money and shell buyers.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

follow that camel!! posted:

Is land transfer tax not a thing in the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ReidRansom posted:

Buying real estate through LLCs has shockingly little oversight, to the extent that it is widely used for laundering dirty money. That said, I, an internet poster, know that, and so does the IRS - the IRS a year or two ago started demanding reporting on LLCs doing big real estate transactions in Manhattan and wouldn't you know it, suddenly a lot of the demand evaporated.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Is land transfer tax not a thing in the US?

yeah but if property tax is doubling every year you're going to be better off paying the 2% or whatever transfer tax in your location exists