Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

What a wonderful story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

My aunt may be fostering a 10-12 day old kitten, does anyone have any good resources I can send her?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Yes! Check out The Kitten Lady's youtube channel. She has just about everything you could ask for how to care for kittens.

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Win a cake for the motherland.

Sunday morning as i was driving home from picking up bagels and coffee, I see a guy at the bus stop near my house set this tiny black fluff on the ground. U-TURN!! He said the kitten wasn't his, he was just moving her back from the street so she wouldn't get hit. Yoink. I walked around looking for more, but couldn't find any.

I had been helping a guy who found some neonatal kittens his dogs got into a few weeks ago, but all the kittens ended-up dying. I knew he was heartbroken and suspected he might want this lil black fluffers. He did! Horray, fastest rescue ever, I don't think I even had her 48 hours.

THEN

Chick at work has this stray cat give birth in her backyard and asked me if I'd take them. I have some kind of brain sickness, so I said yes. They're all cozy in my guest bedroom right now, mama and her SIX babies.

KITTEN. SEASON.

Oh and when I picked-up the kitty family, a house across the street was absolutely covered in cats and kittens. I figure this is where mama cat came from. Whoever lives there wouldn't come to the door, but I could hear the TV on. I left my number with their neighbor, so that may end-up being a project if they'll let me help them. Nothing brings me more joy than stealing cat balls.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Caught a cat this AM for TNR with a super large gaping wound on his face that I won't post a picture of but fingers crossed that he can be saved. He's a very big (like 20+ lb) pretty boy..... I'm going to foster him if he has any potential so hopefully this becomes a good story.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 8, 2021

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
I have so much respect for everyone in this thread.

There's a new tom cat hanging around my and the neighbor's houses. He's extremely skittish so right now I'm just getting him used to eating at our house and getting him comfortable near the trap. I've locked it into the open position, both front and back, and put wet food next to it and a sprinkle of dry cat treats at the entrance. He eats the wet food about every other day and snatches a couple of the treats once in a while. I'm going to start to put the wet food just inside the entrance of the trap now and see if he'll still eat.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

mcmagic posted:

Caught a cat this AM for TNR with a super large gaping wound on his face that I won't post a picture of but fingers crossed that he can be saved. He's a very big (like 20+ lb) pretty boy..... I'm going to foster him if he has any potential so hopefully this becomes a good story.

Big guy is in surgery now to get his face fixed and to fix him. Send happy thoughts.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

mcmagic posted:

Big guy is in surgery now to get his face fixed and to fix him. Send happy thoughts.

Thinking good thoughts for the big guy. As is my rescue girl, who decided today she was going to cause problems on purpose by being super cuddly during a heat wave.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

mcmagic posted:

You get well, big guy.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Surgery went good! I'm going to get the guy tomorrow and I'll be fostering him for a few weeks at least. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

Surgery went good! I'm going to get the guy tomorrow and I'll be fostering him for a few weeks at least. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Yay! Good job big guy.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

mcmagic posted:

Good kitty! Recovery in a nice home with clean water and regular food should be pretty great for him. Thanks for being awesome

Commissar Kayla
Dec 27, 2008
A friend of mine heard this kitten crying on her porch on Friday morning, and I said that my husband and I could foster him, but that we couldn't handle a third cat right now. He's about ten weeks old (ish) and is easily startled, but loves to snuggle, purr, sleep on you, eat his weight in cat food every day, and most importantly, attack hoodie strings and rolled up receipts. He wasn't chipped and my friend hasn't found any lost cat/kitten postings that at all resemble him, so I'm either going to get him a new home or we're going to fall in love with him.

We haven't named him because we are still trying to say he is Not Our Cat, but my husband said that if we were to name him, Bandit would be a cute name. He does kind of look like he's wearing a mask.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Looks like he might be a gray Siamese-point type cat, with some white spots on top of that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Commissar Kayla posted:

We haven't named him because we are still trying to say he is Not Our Cat, but my husband said that if we were to name him, Bandit would be a cute name. He does kind of look like he's wearing a mask.

That is the incredulous look of a cat that knows he's in his new home and is waiting for you to accept that fact :colbert:.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Commissar Kayla posted:

A friend of mine heard this kitten crying on her porch on Friday morning, and I said that my husband and I could foster him, but that we couldn't handle a third cat right now. He's about ten weeks old (ish) and is easily startled, but loves to snuggle, purr, sleep on you, eat his weight in cat food every day, and most importantly, attack hoodie strings and rolled up receipts. He wasn't chipped and my friend hasn't found any lost cat/kitten postings that at all resemble him, so I'm either going to get him a new home or we're going to fall in love with him.

Congrats on your new cat.

Here is the big guy home from the vet and looking very pathetic and sad and dirty from the vet and being outside. I'm very optimistic about him though. He was super upset last night and thrashed around the crate a little bit upset about the cone and the change of location but he is much calmer today, will let me touch and pet him without being aggressive at all and even ate a bunch of baby food off a spoon and my finger.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

mcmagic posted:

Here is the big guy home from the vet and looking very pathetic

Oh. Poor thing. Is he missing eyes too or is that just his surgical recovery face?

If you throw a blanket on the cage and make sure there's just one opening to stare out of, he'll feel safer and thrash less, but make sure to secure the blanket or he'll just drag it into the cage with him and put it in his litter box

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Haji posted:

Oh. Poor thing. Is he missing eyes too or is that just his surgical recovery face?

If you throw a blanket on the cage and make sure there's just one opening to stare out of, he'll feel safer and thrash less, but make sure to secure the blanket or he'll just drag it into the cage with him and put it in his litter box

It's recovery face. His eyes are gooey but I think they are OK. I did have a blanket on the cage last night and left the room super dark when he was upset. He has really calmed down today though. He ate and is letting me clean him a little with a damp paper towel.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 10, 2021

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

mcmagic posted:

It's recovery face. His eyes are gooey but I think they are OK. I did have a blanket on the cage last night and left the room super dark when he was upset. He has really calmed down today though. He ate and is letting me clean him a little with a damp paper towel.

I imagine the hot washcloth treatment feels fantastic. Our kitties always get a good purr going for it. Must feel pretty good for him after all the rough time he just went through. I think your fostering plan is going to go really well. After all the care he's getting he's definitely going to understand that people can be pretty awesome. He should make a good pet for some lucky person

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Haji posted:

I imagine the hot washcloth treatment feels fantastic. Our kitties always get a good purr going for it. Must feel pretty good for him after all the rough time he just went through. I think your fostering plan is going to go really well. After all the care he's getting he's definitely going to understand that people can be pretty awesome. He should make a good pet for some lucky person

I think it's likely that he was an inside cat who was put out a few years ago. He really doesn't tense up when he's touched like most of the ferals we come across in TNR and he'll let me pick him up relatively easy though I'm not sure how much of that is being zonked from meds and stress.

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Win a cake for the motherland.

I've decided mama's name is Starlight. IDK on baby names yet. Everyone is still alive and well!

This lil punk has been hissing at me and he just opened his eyes today! So cute.

Yeah this is absolutely not a feral cat. Even a drugged feral cat wouldn't lick baby food out of a spoon from a stranger. Is he otherwise healthy? No FIV? FeLV?

Comrade Cakewalk fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 11, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Comrade Cakewalk posted:

I've decided mama's name is Starlight. IDK on baby names yet. Everyone is still alive and well!

This lil punk has been hissing at me and he just opened his eyes today! So cute.

Yeah this is absolutely not a feral cat. Even a drugged feral cat wouldn't lick baby food out of a spoon from a stranger. Is he otherwise healthy? No FIV? FeLV?

He’s FIV+.

Commissar Kayla
Dec 27, 2008

Fuschia tude posted:

Looks like he might be a gray Siamese-point type cat, with some white spots on top of that.

That sounds about right! He reminds me a bit of some ragdolls in coloring?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That is the incredulous look of a cat that knows he's in his new home and is waiting for you to accept that fact :colbert:.

mcmagic posted:

Congrats on your new cat.

"Not our cat! Not our cat!", I say, slowly turning into a corncob. My mom is trying to get me or my brother to keep him so she can have visiting rights as kitty grandma. If you so much as touch him, he purrs. He only stops purring if he is VERY distracted by a toy, or actively eating.

Also, McMagic, that poor guy! I hope he heals up soon. He looks like he needs more treats, though. Lots of treats.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Commissar Kayla posted:

Also, McMagic, that poor guy! I hope he heals up soon. He looks like he needs more treats, though. Lots of treats.

He's getting lots of treats and he loves them very much. lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

We've got a litter sitter situation here. He got his drain taken out today. Another week for the stitches. Also, I named him Marv after the guy from Sin City. Figured big dude, messed up face so it fit.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Obviously you just need to put his litter in the fluffy bed.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

mcmagic posted:

We've got a litter sitter situation here. He got his drain taken out today. Another week for the stitches.

Is that when he finally gets rid of the cone of shame too?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

mcmagic posted:

We've got a litter sitter situation here. He got his drain taken out today. Another week for the stitches. Also, I named him Marv after the guy from Sin City. Figured big dude, messed up face so it fit.

Marv is a good name for him. Get well soon Marv.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Haji posted:

Is that when he finally gets rid of the cone of shame too?

Not 100% sure on that one. They needed to pull the skin on his face very tight to close up the wound so everything is pretty fragile and one scratch from his hind leg could really do some damage so I have a feeling he'll be in the cone for a bit more. He's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad at eating with it on too.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

mcmagic posted:

Also, I named him Marv after the guy from Sin City. Figured big dude, messed up face so it fit.

We had a similar case a few years ago. We named ours Dorian because he was as messed up as the portrait of Dorian Grey. We don't have a before picture because it was pretty disturbing, but here he is after he was all healed up. He was so friendly and loving with us that we got him microchipped and planned on keeping him. As it turns out, one of my neighbors had made friends with him too and one day she caught him and got him checked for a chip. Which is how I made friends with one of the neighbors. We transferred his chip registration to her since they both love each other and she's elderly and needed a giant former tom cat to cuddle. Best decision. We missed him terribly for a while but now he's indoor only, spoiled rotten and so happy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Picture_of_Dorian_Gray

Haji fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 14, 2021

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Haji posted:

We had a similar case a few years ago. We named ours Dorian because he was as messed up as the portrait of Dorian Grey. We don't have a before picture because it was pretty disturbing, but here he is after he was all healed up. He was so friendly and loving with us that we got him microchipped and planned on keeping him. As it turns out, one of my neighbors had made friends with him too and one day she caught him and got him checked for a chip. Which is how I made friends with one of the neighbors. We transferred his chip registration to her since they both love each other and she's elderly and needed a giant former tom cat to cuddle. Best decision. We missed him terribly for a while but now he's indoor only, spoiled rotten and so happy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Picture_of_Dorian_Gray

handsome lad!

right click pic -> copy image location -> paste that instead

(alternatively stop using imgur because it does dumb poo poo like this)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Stitches out tomorrow! And his eye is feeling good enough to give me side eye cat contempt look.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Still there on your lap though. :kimchi: What a pretty boy.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Man I'm in cat limbo

We have eight cats. Seven trapped (in our yard) and conditioned to the way. They all live in luxury and housed retirement.

Our friend has a ton of chickens, and is oddly consumed with cats. He does not feed/care for them. They shall eat mice.

We have abducted and sought medical attention for the weakest. They are safe. I know of >dozen of cats.

At what point do we smite him and reacue the cats?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Booger Presley posted:

Man I'm in cat limbo

We have eight cats. Seven trapped (in our yard) and conditioned to the way. They all live in luxury and housed retirement.

Our friend has a ton of chickens, and is oddly consumed with cats. He does not feed/care for them. They shall eat mice.

We have abducted and sought medical attention for the weakest. They are safe. I know of >dozen of cats.

What's the marginal cost in having another cat after cat 8...... might as well keep going.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Booger Presley posted:

Man I'm in cat limbo

At the very least, see if you can TNR them so that they aren't making more cats?

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

Got out the trap today when living proof of our failure to adequately TNR this neighborhood showed up wet and squeaking on the doorstep. There's a mother we've been unable to trap who seems to have a habit of having litters of 1 which she abandons too early

It clearly needs a bath and grooming but seems to be a few days of trust exercises away from letting us near. It's soo tiny but its eyes are green so maybe 6 weeks? Eating solid food at least

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

What's the marginal cost in having another cat after cat 8...... might as well keep going.
The finance words are sound but the reality is complicated.

We manage cat personalities to mitigate fight opportunities. One of our cats is an attack-on-sight girl, so she need special attention.

I reckon I am sniveling at this point. We love these crazy cats. We are all in, whatever it takes.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Late Fees posted:

Got out the trap today when living proof of our failure to adequately TNR this neighborhood showed up wet and squeaking on the doorstep. There's a mother we've been unable to trap who seems to have a habit of having litters of 1 which she abandons too early

It clearly needs a bath and grooming but seems to be a few days of trust exercises away from letting us near. It's soo tiny but its eyes are green so maybe 6 weeks? Eating solid food at least

Need more pictures of this spicy pepper to make sure they're still OK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

Well my wife got home from work a few minutes after my first post and from what I can only assume is black magic had the kitten purring and eating out of her hand in like 20 minutes. We gave her a bath (the kitten, not my wife) and an unbelievable number of fleas came off. It's a wonder she had any blood left. The vet gave her an iron shot and some dewormers but said she was too anemic to test for FeLV. She's been putting on lots of weight and learning a lot about head scratches. Assuming she doesn't have FeLV, she's probably out of the woods. We've even got a potential adopter lined up :)

https://i.imgur.com/g4Ck08e.mp4