Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Bifauxnen posted:

As someone still following along blind here, I gotta say I found the lack of any fanfare or plot dumps or even a boss fight with Lurien was awesome at setting a mood to make the whole thing feel extremely eerie.

Don't get me wrong. Hollow Knight taps into the lonely isolationist feelings of Super Metroid extremely well, but even when chasing down all the plot threads, there's very little indication of important info vs fluff.

It's a frustrating take on show, don't tell. It's ok to tell a little bit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Gnatural 20.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Alliance & Locust

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Abbee Gnational

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

pointlessone posted:

Don't get me wrong. Hollow Knight taps into the lonely isolationist feelings of Super Metroid extremely well, but even when chasing down all the plot threads, there's very little indication of important info vs fluff.

It's a frustrating take on show, don't tell. It's ok to tell a little bit!

The game does tell important parts though. Twice you get dialogue from the Dreamers, and they pretty plainly state that whatever was done to contain the infection isn't working anymore, and yet they are compelled to keep this broken system going.

The Dreamers posted:

A call from beyond the Seals?
By the Vessel, or by that captive light?

Would the Seals break?
They cannot be undone.

But the Vessel weakens.
That plague springs anew.
They must be undone.

Yet still our Seals remain.
Our duty holds.

Yes, Hollow Knight doesn't say a lot, but you do get enough to have a basic sense of what the issue is.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

SirPhoebos posted:

The game does tell important parts though. Twice you get dialogue from the Dreamers, and they pretty plainly state that whatever was done to contain the infection isn't working anymore, and yet they are compelled to keep this broken system going.
Yes, Hollow Knight doesn't say a lot, but you do get enough to have a basic sense of what the issue is.
As someone who just played through Hollow Knight for the second time, I can tell you with great confidence that the quote you just posted (which is from the Resting Grounds IIRC?) makes no sense on your first playthrough and perfect sense on the second. Yeah, their dialogue tells you everything--if you already have the context. But on your first playthrough you have no idea what the Seals are, or what the Vessel is, or what "captive light" or "plague" refers to, and it's a bunch of meaningless gibberish. Hell, I'm not sure I would have even understood it the second time around if I hadn't read the lore bits of the wiki.

It's a weird chicken-and-egg problem where in order to understand the story, you need to already understand the story. The information is there, but understanding any individual part of it requires information from elsewhere that you may not have and have no idea how to get.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

As someone who just played through Hollow Knight for the second time, I can tell you with great confidence that the quote you just posted (which is from the Resting Grounds IIRC?) makes no sense on your first playthrough and perfect sense on the second. Yeah, their dialogue tells you everything--if you already have the context. But on your first playthrough you have no idea what the Seals are, or what the Vessel is, or what "captive light" or "plague" refers to, and it's a bunch of meaningless gibberish.

Hell, the first time through, you may not even twig that more than one person is speaking.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
I wonder if you can get a plush doll of Millibelle for Nat's new place, since she's in his head rent-free already.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tea isn't wrong that half the fun of a blind LP is seeing the player get Millibelle'd, haha.

I imagine geo is chalk fragments. Fossilised shells of ancient creatures.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
It's hard to give super clear advice on what and how to marker stuff blind (it's obviously easier when you know what upgrades exist) but using the menu to put markers down in new areas using just the compass charm is a very very good trick to teach IMO.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

"If I have to fight a giant spider, I'm putting the controller down and walking away."

And what, Nosk isn't a spider?

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

You did really well on Nosk! Fun fact: Nosk is one of the enemies that got buffed from the base game. It happened in one of the free dlcs. I don't recall what the nature of the buff was but I've played both and the original Nosk was a complete joke.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

You know what, screw being jealous. I was cheering Nat that whole fight. Great job on defeating Nosk on your first go.

That said, I suspect that you're going to hate this next part given your pathfinding skills.

EDIT: That, and what his general opinion of spiders.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 10, 2021

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You definitely don't need the monarch wings to navigate deep Deepnest. I don't think you need anything but the dash and the claw. Although a strong enough weapon to comfortably fight the devouts is very helpful.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Unupgraded Nail is the Real(tm) way to Deepnest! I am joking. You can get some pogo-ing on most of the devouts if you lure them out right. And just path around mooost of them I think. Also just try to dash past and get by during the hurt iframes. They only do double damage on their swings.

I feel a little bad about Nat's search for more keys. Especially as both are in places he probably thinks he's fully explored

But you can do it Nat! Get your money back! Or get revenge!

If forget if Nosk's changes were meant to be a buff or a nerf. Didn't they at first just charge constantly or something with almost no breaks to heal during?

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Tylana posted:

Unupgraded Nail is the Real(tm) way to Deepnest! I am joking. You can get some pogo-ing on most of the devouts if you lure them out right. And just path around mooost of them I think. Also just try to dash past and get by during the hurt iframes. They only do double damage on their swings.

I feel a little bad about Nat's search for more keys. Especially as both are in places he probably thinks he's fully explored

But you can do it Nat! Get your money back! Or get revenge!

If forget if Nosk's changes were meant to be a buff or a nerf. Didn't they at first just charge constantly or something with almost no breaks to heal during?

That's right, they added more moves for Nosk to do. I think it was supposed to be a buff, and to be fair, guaranteed charging makes cheesing Nosk even easier if you know you have time to focus under that ledge.

And no, you can't get by the devouts during the hurt iframes, they actually count as obstacles and stop your movement if you try to move through them. I know, I tried to dodge them during my un-upgraded run through Deepnest. :negative:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So technically Nat can get to the first ending with the upgrades he has, although it requires a sequence-break trick to reach Monomon

However I do hope that Tea directs Nats to revisiting the Royal Waterways to get Isma's Tear.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think initially Nosk's moveset was such that sitting in the nooks by the platform there was 100% safe. It would just charge over you back and forth and you could attack at your leisure.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

I think initially Nosk's moveset was such that sitting in the nooks by the platform there was 100% safe. It would just charge over you back and forth and you could attack at your leisure.
Yup, according to the wiki it only had the charge and the leap initially; the eruption attack and the ceiling-running were added with the first DLC. It's not a coincidence that both of them can hit those nooks.

The way the fake Knight's mask changes into a sort of face with mandibles just by getting turned upside-down is really cool.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I actually did this part last night and forgot how creepy it was, especially the Little Weavers coming out of the foreground to attack.

Also if you Dream Nail the corpses on the way to the Nosk fight, they basically all say the same thing Nat did when walking to the fight lol. Lots of "hey it's my friend!"

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 15, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Ah, Nosk. I have complaints about Nosk (mostly because you have to be locked in to collect your shade) and because the boss fight is hard as balls. I got to him earlier than Nat did, but even so.

Also, if we're heading back to the Royal Waterways, then I hope we can get to see Nat fight the White Defender. :allears:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Nosk and the Stalking Devout were two of the enemies I was looking at as being potential killers. The Devouts in particular with their two masks of damage. I was not prepared for Nat to simply start parrying them frame-perfect every time.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
That discussion in the video about Nosk using another another Vessel from the Knight's memories doesn't really ring true to me. All the Vessels we've seen so far - Broken Vessel, the one you get the Mothwing Cloak from, and one hanging in the back of Nosk's room - all have different horn patterns to the Knight. And, in fact, Nosk uses the Knight's face to lure them in.

My take on it is that the Knight doesn't care or remember enough about the people in their past for Nosk to draw on anything. The only bug they really remember enough about is themself.

And then the Pantheon of Hallownest flying Nosk fight uses Hornet instead because of her increasing plot relevance towards endgame.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Can we stop calling it the Knight?

We've seen the monument to the Hollow Knight and other Vessels, three so far. Those are similar, yet different enough.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

That's apparently the character's official name, or at least how Team Cherry describes 'em.

They're not the Hollow Knight, but they are the Knight.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
He's Hollow Knight Jr. son of the Hollow Knight.

Aka Hollow Knight.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
"Please, Hollow Knight was my father, just call me Knight."

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

"Knight. Hollow Knight."

---

"Noooo mister Knight, I expect you to die!" Spiders engulf screen

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

His official name is Hungry Knight

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Rappaport posted:

"Noooo mister Knight, I expect you to die!" Spiders engulf screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diOhwvRYlsU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
While I think Tea's theory is very plausible, I always assumed that the weird thing in the den was Hornet's Chrysalis or cast off-shell from which she was born, since she was half-wyrm

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

That midwife encounter is like when you need to go for a piss in the bushes on the walk home and you find the creepy old man in his lucky blue mac.

"Surprise!" :shepface:

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Midwife does continue the tale if you go back, but I wouldn't blame anyone for not checking twice. She keeps getting so hungry though. Might need to give her a bite or two.

So the Watcher Knights was the boss for the Dreamer in the city, I like to think of Deepnest itself as the "boss" for Herrah. It's the only area that feels the way it does here. It's oppressive as gently caress.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
nat's return to the trial of the warrior..... :discourse:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The only problem with leaving something to do in Deepnest is you have this nagging knowledge in your head, "I need to go back to Deepnest."

Every time I get an Essence from a random enemy, I think "Aww, that one had a dream. Maybe it wanted to be a carpenter. Or a cobbler."

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Maybe it wanted to leave Deepnest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Huh, I thought the Mask Maker was what Tea was looking for in the village. I'm curious now.