Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Halloween Jack posted:

Some idiot just smashed the corner of my office building with a cherry picker. Awesome.

Ooh photo please if you can. That's gonna be a fun insurance claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

sticksy posted:

This is the right move IMO - I obviously don't take every call or respond to the millions of LinkedIn "I know you're in a great spot right now but would you give me just 5 min to tell you why Startup X who just got Series A is going to be the next Google/Amazon/Snowflake! 🚀" but if nothing else, learn what your peers are doing (and making), what new skills are sought after, who's hiring that might be your competitor, or maybe be able to refer someone you know there.

There's a couple of national exec recruiters who I've gotten to know and we talk once or twice a year so I have a good sense of what's happening in my industry and bounce ideas off of. I got my current job last fall by a recruiter I had worked with a couple years later who was a weirdo and thought he was a big shot - however I saw that he actually had good connections and job req's for the type of companies and roles I was looking for. Lo and behold, I'm the first one he reached out to when a very fast-growing company is looking to hire in my region, then got to skip a lot of the rigamarole in the interview process.

Almost Every recruiter reach out I get is some contract BS for a job one or two levels below where I'm at.

The others that are decent but not quite, the recruiters seem really uninterested in ongoing relationships and I've never had one come back around.

Are you getting calls with actually relevant positions?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pillowpants posted:

Follow up: I was offered a job this morning. Base Pay would be my 2020 Gross Pay (Hourly + OT) and is bonus eligible, but I have an ethical quandry since I am not sure I can work for a company run by a borderline Qanon nut. Otherwise its a great opportunity.

company size is real relevant to how much of an issue this should be

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Inner Light posted:

Ooh photo please if you can. That's gonna be a fun insurance claim.
I'm not there! The one day I work from home, something interesting happens! gently caress!

If I'd been there, I bet I could have chased down the cherry picker. The guy is almost certainly a contractor working for us, so he just hosed himself over by leaving the scene.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It wasn't a traffic accident right? So I'm not sure if Hit and Run is a thing in this case. Only way fleeing the scene could possibly be helpful to him is if he was drunk (which is not entirely unlikely).

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not there! The one day I work from home, something interesting happens! gently caress!

That's what you get for cherry picking which days you do and don't go into the office. :colbert:

I'm sorry, I'm just a lurker desperate to find out how Sundae's meeting went.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

Almost Every recruiter reach out I get is some contract BS for a job one or two levels below where I'm at.

The others that are decent but not quite, the recruiters seem really uninterested in ongoing relationships and I've never had one come back around.

This is my experience as well. I've basically just started to completely ignore recruiters that cold-call, because they're all clueless, third party commission chasers. The in-house recruiting people only reach out when I apply for a position directly.

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

It could be industry/job function dependent. I have a finance and strategy background with management experience. Contract work in those areas is almost non-exist. Most (good) recruiters in that space keep in touch so they know who to contact to quickly fill a role to get that commission asap.

It may be completely different dynamic for software devs where contract work is more common and there is more churn.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
We don't have any kind of insane customer/"for the exposure" threads, I got my year-end accounting crap done early, and I wanted to share some stories.

For context, I'm admin at a college art department. I don't get a lot of calls from the general public, and when I do, it's mostly nice old people who want to take a free summer class or know when the museum is open. But I also get requests. Here's a list of things we do: teach art classes, exhibit art, and invite art professionals to make art and talk about art.

Here's a list of things we don't do: buy art, sell art, give away art, appraise art, review art, broker art sales, rent art studio space, rent art gallery space, sell art students into slavery, or any other job a disturbed mind connects to the word "art."

Interns 2 Go

:cenobite: Art Department, Jack speaking.

:j: WHERE DO I PARK?

:cenobite: I'm sorry?

:j: I said WHERE DO I PARK? Can I park up on the hill here?

:cenobite: No, that's the dean's house. They will tow you. Are you visiting the department?

:j: Yeah! I want to talk to someone about getting an intern.

:cenobite: An intern? We rarely do internships. They're strictly regulated.

:j: Well, I'm a local photographer and I want to talk to someone about getting an intern for my business.

:cenobite: Well, there's no one who can see you. Definitely not for a walk-in appointment.

:j: Well you're not being very poliiite!

:cenobite: I'm sorry, I'm just flustered. No one has ever tried to just walk in and pick up an employee who works for free.

I don't remember exactly how that call ended, but it was abrupt.

The Artist's Apprentice

:cenobite: Art department, Jack speaking.

:shucks: Hello, I have an older friend who is a painter and sculptor, who'd be interested in taking on an apprentice.

:cenobite: Do you mean like an internship? We have very strict requirements for those...

:shucks: Well, I know housing is expensive, and she would give them free room and board.

:spidey: Uh, so what exactly would the student be doing for her? Does she need live-in help?

:shucks: Oh no, not exactly. Just like someone to maybe cook some meals for her...and help her get in and out of her chair...

:cenobite: Miss, it sounds like what your friend really needs is a home health aide. Our students aren't qualified to do that, and I don't think it would be an educational experience for them. There are also liability issues here.

:shucks: Let me ask you something. Are you an artist?

:cenobite: No.

:shucks: I can tell.

I hung up.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 10, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I get hit up a fair amount now with consulting recruiting offers.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
I work in an internal corporate compliance department and my only brush with regulatory compliance was at a debt collection law firm.

I get a ton of financial/medical compliance offers from recruiters. I used to take the phone calls, but every single time I told them I don’t do financial/medical compliance they would get irritated.

The words “medical” and “finance” have never appeared on my resume.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm a project manager for the MIC that specializes in defense health, with a secret clearance and roughly 7 years of PM experience. Which means I get the double whammy of recruiters that 1) try and get me to do poo poo wildly out of my expertise and 2) try and get me to do things considerably over what my flavor of "project manager" does, often for less money. Examples in the last 90 days or so:

A contract-to-hire job that requires a considerably higher clearance requirement than I have (which is listed on my linkedin) that is on the other side of the country, which also pays about 60% of what I currently make

A "project manager" job that is much more like a full-on program or portfolio manager job (i.e. orders of magnitude more complex) on a project likely worth a few hundred million dollars, also with a considerably higher clearance, which offers about what I make now.

Countless jobs to be a project manager in IT services, a thing I know absolutely nothing about and have zero background or keywords in, also with (you guessed it) a considerably higher clearance, that pay anywhere from 30 to 80% of what I make now.

I don't think I've ever had a recruiter cold call me with something that I would be remotely interested in.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

I feel like if it's not in the bottom 20% of actual ethically dubious businesses (Republican politics, fossil fuels, defense contracting, the Catholic Church, etc.), you should just take the CHUD's money.

Defense Contracting dingdingding

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Recruiters really just don't know how to read, do they? A third person contacted me on LinkedIn to apply to work at Tesla as a battery engineer because of my "cellular background."

No variant of the word "cell" is anywhere in my bio anymore, or my resume, and I work at a biotech/pharma company. Where do these chucklefucks keep getting the idea that I'm a battery cell engineer? :wtc:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Sundae posted:

Recruiters really just don't know how to read, do they? A third person contacted me on LinkedIn to apply to work at Tesla as a battery engineer because of my "cellular background."

No variant of the word "cell" is anywhere in my bio anymore, or my resume, and I work at a biotech/pharma company. Where do these chucklefucks keep getting the idea that I'm a battery cell engineer? :wtc:

My favorite part about this is "cellular background" could mean batteries, biological cells, or cellular work design :v:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
We had a division all-hands today and after the VP asked everyone to mute, like immediately after, someone loudly cleared their throat and then dropped their phone while a dog was going bananas in the background, lol. After about 10 minutes of begging/yelling to mute they finally figured out they could lock mute everyone.

However, they had to take that off to let a new speaker unmute, and someone promptly (accidentally?) unmuted and there was a lady in the background yelling in chinese for about 2 minutes before they managed to mute everyone again.

Honestly it's the most interesting/entertaining part of the all hands seeing how the mute stuff will play out, every drat time. Sadly no toilet flushes or parrot noises this time, though (has happened in previous ones)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sundae posted:

have you been published in Cell?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Pillowpants posted:

Defense Contracting dingdingding
Decide what your soul is worth. I wouldn't do it for less than an amount I would describe as "obscene," but I can't entirely blame people who are more ethically flexible in our hellscape.

Defense contractors are gonna be fuuuullll of CHUDs, though, not just the owners. Probably toxic as poo poo.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Sundae posted:

They don't know how to listen either. I told one that there were two companies I wouldn't work for in the industry. All four interviews he sent me were for those companies.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

Defense contractors are gonna be fuuuullll of CHUDs, though, not just the owners. Probably toxic as poo poo.

Can confirm. It's an absolute nightmare and I want out so bad.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Defense contracting just depends on *which* sector you're in. I've been in the field for almost a decade but it's blue as gently caress where I am, but I'm in defense health/analytics/policy. It's also majority women and majority PoC with almost everyone having an MS+. My company has like 30k people and we're relatively small potatoes at like 1500ish personnel.

There's a lot of places you can work even inside some of the more kinetic companies that don't remotely involve the more morally icky parts. General Dynamics for example has a healthcare division that is almost 25k people alone.

That said there's still your regular large corporate problems stacked on top of the poo poo like security clearances and other MIC-exclusive shenanigans so I don't fault anybody for staying the gently caress away. I'm just saying you can have your standard corporate life without having to worry about designing bombs to kill poor people or some poo poo.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You just help run the company that designs the bombs.

At the end of the day, we all have our own moral compasses we need to live with. I said I'd never consult with O&G and I'm pretty sure that's what I'm about to go do because I'm quitting with a couple months to go before pat leave.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
In all reality it’s a gun company not a defense contractor.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
"more kinetic companies" is a scary phrase

I assume large amounts of literal kinetic energy is effectively the merchandise

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
What is a gun company if not a personal defense contractor?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

have you been published in Cell?

That'd be awesome if so, but no. :( International Journal of Pharmaceutics a few times, but no Cell.

If I was in Cell, I'd have that alllll over my resume. :lol:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pillowpants posted:

In all reality it’s a gun company not a defense contractor.

Small arms have historically killed a lot more people most years than large bombs.

But I would guess a gun company would be even CHUDlier than a defense contractor.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

"more kinetic companies" is a scary phrase

It sure is. That's why I chose it, because people on the internet tend to overly simplify a massive industry.

Don't get me wrong, the entire MIC basically shouldn't exist and is just an extension of the government but it's hard to ignore if you're in certain regions of the country. There's a lot of different things to do and it pays really well. Example: for four years I worked for an organization that worked on traumatic brain injury that was in collaboration with the other parts of government health/research. It just so happens the military is a good source of TBIs to do research on and has deep pockets to find better ways to treat them, which is shared with everyone.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 10, 2021

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I started my career working for a private prison company and I still feel awful about that :( After grad school I looked for six months and it was either that or be an on-call weekend librarian.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I did several stints at Washington Mutual as a temp for like two years, and spent seven years at a law firm that defended insurance companies (substantially less evil than you would expect). Capitalism makes villains of us all

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I've been in private corporations that pay less, and in government organizations that pay more. Both public and private sector are "large groups of people incorporated for some purpose", and the only difference seems to be that the public sector actually tries to follow procedures instead of waiting around for some other entity to sue them. Neither seems particularly more evil, and businesses linked to morally questionable activities are a matter of awareness/publicity moreso than opportunity/category.

I was a college instructor for seven years, and it was the most "corporate" job I've held. I can imagine only two jobs that would be more effective at turning me into a murderer: Elementary school teacher and high school teacher.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I mean, I'm (tangential but still tied into the current structure of) health insurance, so I won't really look down on anyone. Yeah, my personal contribution is centered on getting people the care they need, but only because it makes Aetna and Anthem a whole lot of money. Everybody has their own line that changes on how hungry they are.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I start a new job in a few weeks with a media tech company, as in tracking cookies and making Adblocker a thing
It ain't defense contracting but it's close

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Dango Bango posted:

A coworker complained to me about getting in trouble for replying to an email shooting down what he felt were valid points someone else on his team brought up in a childish way.
If this showed up in email or chat my first instinct would be to delete it, knowing that the alternative is an entire afternoon spent trying to figure out who or what did what in response to what or whom for which or to which valid or invalid statements or questions pertaining to written or spoken or demonstrated professional or unprofessional or criminal or :psypop:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sundae posted:

That'd be awesome if so, but no. :( International Journal of Pharmaceutics a few times, but no Cell.

If I was in Cell, I'd have that alllll over my resume. :lol:

lol Dr. Fauxton told me about impact factor years and years ago when she was a doc candidate and when something she was first on got published in something with like a "6 " she was absolutely ecstatic but then some time after she left, the university started asking her for contact information and I guess her old lab had gotten something published in nature and the school were making sure they could reach her just in case? (She wasn't an author on it, but I guess they cited her work a lot and since she was previously working there? idk science papers)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I am in an amoral industry at its absolute best (consulting) and in a structurally immoral industry (automotive) but you've got to draw lines somewhere. I probably wouldn't do something that I feel like actively tries to harm people like health insurance.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Omg. I got an admin assigned to me. I’m looking at a bunch of forms that I just…don’t have to deal with?! This is incredible. :stoked:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Can I just rant for a second....

There's a new buzzword making its rounds at my company: "Derisking"

It drives me up the wall because it implies risk is a single value knob that can be tuned up and down and not a complicated landscape. Also, it implies that that risk is removed instead of just shifted around. It also makes risk analysis and decision into an active verb, which means corporate chucklefucks who contribute nothing to a process use it to make themselves seem like they're adding value. After all, less risk = more value, right? The reductionist nature of stripping all nuance from understanding risk also drives me nuts.

And then, there's how "derisking" is used. It's used by petty bureaucrats as a synonym for "I am so scared to make an actual decision that I will wait until enough data is collected that the decision is either apparent to everyone or no longer necessary." As in "I derisked the process by requesting addition reports."

Ok, sorry to anyone who actually read all that. I feel better getting it out.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
A lot of smart people buy risk, rather than sell it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I keep getting approached to work at the clinical research unit of Philip Morris.