Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The only thing about CCS I don’t like vs Tesla’s is how chunky it is. It’s so much easier to slot a Tesla cable, and it feels like the DCFC aspect of CCS was an afterthought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
I'm currently thinking I want to go Q4 / Ariya, maybe will check out if GM announces something in that size bracket in the next year or so. The EUV is a touch on the small side for what I'm kind of wanting, even though the Bolt is a fine car.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Ariya has less usable space than the Boot EUV - remember Nissan is famously bad at packaging

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
I mean Q4 is probably top of the list at this point, but GM is also high on the list because they already got their haptic button nonsense out of their system with the first gen Volt, but they aren't really coming out with any good solid info with what else is in the pipe. Pretty hard to make a decision only on preproduction models and rumors unfortunately.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.

Jimong5 posted:

I mean Q4 is probably top of the list at this point, but GM is also high on the list because they already got their haptic button nonsense out of their system with the first gen Volt, but they aren't really coming out with any good solid info with what else is in the pipe. Pretty hard to make a decision only on preproduction models and rumors unfortunately.

I really wanted to like the Q4. I think at this point I'm sticking with my Model Y order but this will be the pick if Tesla keeps screwing with me. I like the brand, I like the exterior and interior but there are a few questionable calls. Cap/Touch buttons on the steering wheel seem bad as does all the piano black everywhere. If it gets an honest 250+ miles of range I think it would be hard not to get. I'm a little worried too about massive depreciation on these Gen 1 German luxury EV's. They couldn't sell the Etron at MSRP, can't imagine what they will be going for when all the three year leases are up. This one has more broad appeal I would think though.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

cruft posted:

I've had two Teslas now and they've been fine.

I think the Model S's biggest problem was the sensors on the fancy pants door handles, which they fixed under warranty with a better design that everything's using now.

The Model 3 needed a new charging port, which they also fixed on warranty. It still charged fine, but this plastic bit around one of the terminals was gone so they replaced it.

Because there are no service centers in my area, they drove up to my house and fixed the car in the driveway.

This is anecdotal, and shouldn't be taken as representative of the entire fleet, but there is so much hype around Tesla, I don't even know who's a reliable source other than maybe Rich Rebuilds and Sandy Munro. My take here -- and, remember, as an owner, I'm biased -- is that they're about there you might expect any other 10 year old car company to be. I'm not seeing the massive manufacturing problems, and I never understood why everyone thinks they catch fire more often than gas cars, and and and... Pretty much nobody seems to be ambivalent about Tesla.

The only thing I can think of with a similar amount of Hype is mattresses.

Having written all that, I am coveting the VW ID Buzz. The kid will be in college before we can buy one, so we probably won't, but that thing is just 100% my bag, baby.

The CCS charging network is catching up really fast. At this point I'm wondering when I can get my hands on a working CCS to Tesla adapter. And I guess CCS to Chademo for the Leaf. Tesla's supercharger network is still out ahead, but I can see that no longer being the case in a couple of years as the economic might of the entire damned country shifts to installing EV chargers.

If I were 24 year old cruft right now, I would buy a 2019 Leaf, with the intention of selling it in 3-4 years and buying the Buzz or some other EV that's more my thing.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

From my googling, CCS to Chademo is just not a thing that will ever be affordable to do unfortunately. I was super curious about it since I have a Leaf and Chademo is clearly on its way out, but it's not like I use fast chargers much anyway. I'm not sure but I always figured CCS to Tesla had similar incompatibility problems.

The used car market is so hosed right now I think considering rebates it's legitimately cheaper to buy a brand new Leaf than get a used one in many cases, which is weird as hell. I just took a peek on Carvana and the same trim I got with 10k miles on it is about a thousand bucks more than my net cost. But otherwise that's exactly my plan haha

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Tesla is reportedly releasing a CCS->Tesla adapter in Korea, although those rumors were floating around months ago, and I don’t think I’ve seen anything come of them. There’s one or two companies making unofficial adapters, I’ve heard mixed reviews about how well they work.

The Out Of Spec Motoring youtube channel has several videos of road trips in different vehicles, showing how the different charging networks are working. https://youtube.com/c/OutofSpecMotoring

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I havent found a better source that says this other than ARS(e)-T so make of this what you will and to be honest this feels like trolling to post?

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2021/06/volkswagen-plans-to-offer-subscriptions-for-autonomous-driving-extra-ev-range/?comments=1

Buuuuut...... paying 8 bucks an hour for "autonomous" driving in VW's EV's? Yikes

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I havent found a better source that says this other than ARS(e)-T so make of this what you will and to be honest this feels like trolling to post?

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2021/06/volkswagen-plans-to-offer-subscriptions-for-autonomous-driving-extra-ev-range/?comments=1

Buuuuut...... paying 8 bucks an hour for "autonomous" driving in VW's EV's? Yikes

The $8 an hour pays the wage of a person to drive it remotely from a third world country, I assume

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nfcknblvbl posted:

The only thing about CCS I don’t like vs Tesla’s is how chunky it is. It’s so much easier to slot a Tesla cable, and it feels like the DCFC aspect of CCS was an afterthought.

What’s aggravating is that CCS could easily be the size of J1772 but instead of using the AC + and - pins as dual purpose pins they just tacked on the DC + and - pins at the bottom. Shameful.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 10, 2021

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

DoubleT2172 posted:

The $8 an hour pays the wage of a person to drive it remotely from a third world country, I assume

I'd probably get paired up with the drone operator whose racing wheel is broken so they're making do with a ps2 controller with the buttons chewed off

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

It's gone to plaaaaiiiidddd

(they put the backdrop up)

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice
Can anyone tell me how charge point stations work? I’m in Pittsburgh and it seems like the only ones anywhere are in office parking lots or apartment buildings. Can you use those lots somehow if you’re going to charge on them, or are they just for the folks working / living there?

I assume it’s the latter, which means I’m in a EV desert unless we got a Tesla.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Dreissi posted:

Can anyone tell me how charge point stations work? I’m in Pittsburgh and it seems like the only ones anywhere are in office parking lots or apartment buildings. Can you use those lots somehow if you’re going to charge on them, or are they just for the folks working / living there?

I assume it’s the latter, which means I’m in a EV desert unless we got a Tesla.

Chargepoint is sold to property owners, who can set whatever pricing and policy they want, so yeah, it can be restricted. Have you checked out the Plugshare website / app?

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

College Slice

Charles posted:

Chargepoint is sold to property owners, who can set whatever pricing and policy they want, so yeah, it can be restricted. Have you checked out the Plugshare website / app?

Just checked out PlugShare - about the same story there unfortunately. God damnit having a townhouse with just street parking is really messing up my plans to get a dumb electric Volvo.

There will be no debate about the Volvo part - my partner is from Gothenburg.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I've seen several houses in west Philadelphia, where people installed curbside personal chargers outside their home. It's perfectly legal with an appropriate permit apparently. But that's on public street, these houses do not have personal parking at all.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Tesla's adapter is really good.

CCS is something I really appreciate after working with Chademo. It's a refined, elegant design that is a real joy to work with and easy to manipulate. Compared to Chademo.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

borkencode posted:

Tesla is reportedly releasing a CCS->Tesla adapter in Korea, although those rumors were floating around months ago, and I don’t think I’ve seen anything come of them. There’s one or two companies making unofficial adapters, I’ve heard mixed reviews about how well they work.

Tesla has an official adapter for CCS in Europe, it supports up to 150 kW.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Munro broke down (literally) the id.4 electric motor and it's pretty cool. I really appreciate whomever pointed him out to me in this thread!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bab6CttkEY

It's really loving clever.

fondue fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 10, 2021

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Dreissi posted:

Just checked out PlugShare - about the same story there unfortunately. God damnit having a townhouse with just street parking is really messing up my plans to get a dumb electric Volvo.

There will be no debate about the Volvo part - my partner is from Gothenburg.

If you're looking at the V60 make sure you get one of the 2020 (I think) facelift models. They moved it to the same platform as the V90 and prior to that you lost a huge amount of interior space to batteries.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

particle9 posted:

I really wanted to like the Q4. I think at this point I'm sticking with my Model Y order but this will be the pick if Tesla keeps screwing with me. I like the brand, I like the exterior and interior but there are a few questionable calls. Cap/Touch buttons on the steering wheel seem bad as does all the piano black everywhere. If it gets an honest 250+ miles of range I think it would be hard not to get. I'm a little worried too about massive depreciation on these Gen 1 German luxury EV's. They couldn't sell the Etron at MSRP, can't imagine what they will be going for when all the three year leases are up. This one has more broad appeal I would think though.

Ive got an e-tron and a model y. The e-tron is a really nice car but it already feels dated. The Tesla is easily 10 years ahead in every aspect except maybe road noise and leather feel but I guess that’s the difference $20-30k buys you.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

College Slice

Yeep posted:

If you're looking at the V60 make sure you get one of the 2020 (I think) facelift models. They moved it to the same platform as the V90 and prior to that you lost a huge amount of interior space to batteries.

If our V60 lasts till fall, I’m considering their new one (C40), assuming the reception from the car community is alright.

Doing some additional investigation, and I’m wondering what the implications are of installing a charge unit in front of my house and running a cable across a sidewalk. Your allowed to run electrical cables for tools, but I don’t know how this works for permissions wise for charging cables.

If we get to that point, I’ll update the thread with info about Pittsburgh’s municipal code and EV infrastructure.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DoomTrainPhD posted:

What’s aggravating is that CCS could easily be the size of J1772 but instead of using the AC + and - pins as dual purpose pins they just tacked on the DC + and - pins at the bottom. Shameful.

It even exists in the specification in fact. I don't think anyone bothered implementing DC Level 1 though since the spec caps out at 80 kW.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Edit: wrong thread!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

After yesterday's adventure in How Far Can You Get With A 30kWh Battery, we started looking into upgrading the Leaf's battery to 40kWh or 60kWh. I guess these are over double the normal cost right now because with COVID lockdown, people aren't slamming their cars into things as often, and there aren't as many salvage batteries to choose from.

Even at a normal price, I have to wonder if it's worth it to put a $6000 battery into a car worth $9500. I mean, it might be. I honestly don't know.

I hadn't realized that the Leaf has no thermal management of the battery. There's no fan at all when you're charging at 50kW!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Just saw a Mach-E charging at a charge point near my office. They're a lot smaller looking than I thought they would be, especially in height.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

Just saw a Mach-E charging at a charge point near my office. They're a lot smaller looking than I thought they would be, especially in height.

I can't get past the stupid physical dial on the touchscreen.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
nope

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 6, 2022

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Looks like the new Model S is reclaiming the aero crown. https://twitter.com/MilMileBattery/status/1403013128707842054

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

mattfl posted:

Why is it stupid

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

borkencode posted:

Looks like the new Model S is reclaiming the aero crown. https://twitter.com/MilMileBattery/status/1403013128707842054

They better launch it to Underworld's "Born Slippy (Nuxx)"

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

borkencode posted:

what an odd way to display the car's drag coefficient

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mattfl posted:

It's a Ford, it's gonna fall off soon enough.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

borkencode posted:

EV-1 still laughing from the grave.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The little dial on the Mach e is good. It’s nice to have a physical volume knob.

Charles posted:

It's a Ford, it's gonna fall off soon enough.

That’s more of a GM or Chrysler thing. Ford reliability problems mostly crop up around transmissions and the eco boost engines. The interiors seem to hold up pretty well these days.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 10, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
also all software and infotainment systems are dog poo poo so the knob is what i would call a Moderate Risk

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

also all software and infotainment systems are dog poo poo so the knob is what i would call a Moderate Risk

they should sell more physical add-ons you can attach to the big screen like one of those music tables. You want more physical buttons? slap them on!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Sounds like the solar roof isn't on the U.S. spec Ioniq 5

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Took the e-Niro on a trip to my birding spot 100km or so away. Averaged 11.8 kWh/100km going there and back, mostly on 80km/h roads. Comes out to, what, 540km on a full battery? Pretty drat impressed, though it's under fairly ideal conditions (20C outside).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

they should sell more physical add-ons you can attach to the big screen like one of those music tables. You want more physical buttons? slap them on!

You're just some command strips away from having as many buttons and knobs as you want on the Tesla screen. Hell, glue a donut on there and it'll look like Ford's thing!

E: oh poo poo, Ford's thing is literally glued to the screen, and simulates a finger dragging around in a circle. Hmmm.

cruft fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 10, 2021