Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

while it's too early for covid specific studies of this, mothers who get sustained fevers during pregancy especially the first trimester have a way higher chance of a developmentally delayed or brain damaged child and it's likely true of covid too.

pregnant women are also more prone to hospitalization with covid and with needing a ventilator.

during the third trimester covid can induce early labor which also can gently caress a kid right up.

Yeah i'm removing my post because yours sounds more relevant and recent and probably paints a more accurate picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

gay picnic defence posted:

Someone at work is saying she won’t get the vaccine because she planning to start a family soon and is worried about the vaccine affecting her fertility. Personally I’d be more concerned about the risk of getting covid before or during the pregnancy but I can’t find any studies on the effects of covid on unborn babies.

Has anyone seen and good information on this?

There are well documented risks for both baby and mother if the mother is infected.

CDC posted:

Pregnant and recently pregnant people (for at least 42 days following end of pregnancy) are more likely to get severely ill from COVID-19 compared with non-pregnant people.

Pregnant people with COVID-19 are at increased risk for preterm birth (delivering the baby earlier than 37 weeks) and might be at increased risk for other poor outcomes related to pregnancy compared to pregnant people without COVID-19.

Other poor pregnancy outcomes, such as pregnancy loss, have been reported.

Honestly not sure how to refute the vaccines reduce fertility question, because it's complete antivaxx social media bullshit, and if she doesn't trust forbes or a a children's hospital or NBC then maybe she could be encouraged to talk to her gynecologist or doctor.

Blitter fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jun 10, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

There has been a lot of anecdotal evidence of the vaccine messing with women’s cycles which is where part of the miss information could be coming from.

I know 4 other women who are looking to have children and have the same stance. Luckily one just got pregnant and is going to get the shot after she gives birth.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

MarcusSA posted:

I know 4 other women who are looking to have children and have the same stance. Luckily one just got pregnant and is going to get the shot after she gives birth.

From what I've read on the news, the mRNA vaccines (at least) have already been studied on pregnant women and deemed safe. Not sure why she would wait.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

From what I've read on the news, the mRNA vaccines (at least) have already been studied on pregnant women and deemed safe. Not sure why she would wait.

She's stupid OP.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

So a bunch of people are getting magnetic powers, FREE birth control, and connecting to 5G from their vaccines? And all I got was the ability to participate in society again and see my family? I got ripped off.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i was only in that truck stop bathroom because of the vaccine, but my stupid wife i hate keeps saying i'm lying!!!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Because why take that risk / chance?

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

She's stupid OP.

Glad you are here to clear that up.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Anti vaxers arguments always seem to boil down to "why take the risk" to which I say I'll take the "risk" from the vaccines over th risk of covid any day.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What if the vaccine rearranges my protons? I think I can keep myself safe from covid doing the same thing I’ve been doing.

Anyway, see you at the cookout on Sunday!

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

MarcusSA posted:

Because why take that risk / chance?

I mean, from the stats quoted a few pages back it looks like getting covid while pregnant is a much higher risk than vaccine injury.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

MarcusSA posted:

There has been a lot of anecdotal evidence of the vaccine messing with women’s cycles which is where part of the miss information could be coming from.

:corrupt:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Pregnant women get given a whole dossier of things to worry about and avoid. It's no surprise, especially first time mothers, would be bricking it over the covid vaccine.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Pregnant women get given a whole dossier of things to worry about and avoid. It's no surprise, especially first time mothers, would be bricking it over the covid vaccine.

I wrote a comment like this and didn't post it, but yeah. First time you worry about everything. Second time we worried 95% less.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I think I heard somewhere that vaccinated mother's have passed on antibodies to their newborns?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I have injected the vaccine into my balls and am spreading it that way

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yes
I would if at all possible just quarantine. The less artificial anything the better. :(
What an unpleasant choice to have to make if you couldn't!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Spinz posted:

Yes
I would if at all possible just quarantine. The less artificial anything the better. :(
What an unpleasant choice to have to make if you couldn't!

The one who I know who is in her 1st trimester is doing just that. Her Husband got the Vaccine and all of her family did as well.

Mumbling Nuggets
Jan 14, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

A Fancy Hat posted:

So a bunch of people are getting magnetic powers, FREE birth control, and connecting to 5G from their vaccines? And all I got was the ability to participate in society again and see my family? I got ripped off.

LOL

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So I'm fully vaccinated, and have been for almost a full month now, and all the people I really care about are either also fully vaccinated or on their way to getting fully vaxxed. So now my question is, how much longer will I have to wear a mask, and how much longer until I feel comfortable enough to go back to the gym? The past year and a half has thoroughly removed any desire to go to a restaurant anymore, and I didn't go to the mall or movie theaters all that much even before the pandemic, but it's the gym I miss the most. I still want to be safe, but I don't know how much safer I can get.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

A Fancy Hat posted:

And all I got was the ability to participate in society again and see my family

This seems more like a punishment then a reward tbh

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Gologle posted:

So now my question is, how much longer will I have to wear a mask

for me, this is like nothing.

If my choice is wear a mask that has essentially become a part of my phone/keys/wallet check... then it really isnt a big deal. Its more for other people than myself anyway.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Wear it at Walmart, don't wear it at your friends house if they're all vaxed. It's no big deal.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Latest reports are that we cannot reach herd immunity with our current rate of vaccine hesitancy. Opening vaccination up to all age groups would seem a logical way to address this but our federal government seems committed to sticking to their hopelessly bungled rollout timetable.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2021-06-11/australians-need-to-be-vaccinated-to-stop-covid-restrictions/100195208

Lolie fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 11, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

More anecdotal evidence but I was talking to a lady at work who is 57 and way past menopause. She said that a few weeks after getting her second dose her period came back and wasn't "light" but exact;y how they used to be for her.

That's fuckin weird.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Lolie posted:

Latest reports are that we cannot reach herd immunity with our current rate of vaccine hesitancy. Opening vaccination up to all age groups would seem a logical way to address this but our federal government seems committed to sticking to their hopelessly bungled rollout timetable.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2021-06-11/australians-need-to-be-vaccinated-to-stop-covid-restrictions/100195208

Both the ABC and Fairfax really seem to be gearing up for a run of "we have to let go of this zero COVID policy" based on... either lockdown fatigue or the idea that once everyone is vaccinated we shouldn't have to do it. If it's the latter you'd think maybe they could wait until everyone who wants to be is fully vaccinated rather than, right now, the vast bulk of Australians not even having had their first.

The federal government is thankfully not having a bar of it:

quote:

6PR host Liam Bartlett: Why don’t you take the lead on this, why don’t you put a firm date on Australia opening up and give people a reason to get the jab?

Morrison: Because the medical advice doesn’t support that... There’s no medical advice that I’ve received at any point in time, which gives a magical number of vaccinations that enable you to provide that level of certainty to Australians about when that can occur because. I mean, you don’t go from shut one day, fully open the next. That’s not how it works. I mean, you go to where I’m heading to. To the UK. I mean, they have vaccination rates up in the 70s and with their older population even higher than that, and they have 4000 cases a day like that but they also...

Host Liam Bartlett: They also have borders open to a lot more countries than we do.

Morrison: Exactly, so if you’re suggesting that we, we should be aiming for a position where we can have 4000 cases a day then I know I don’t think Australians would agree with you, I don’t agree... This is exactly, that’s why the vaccination program is incredibly important and that will give us more and more and more options going forward. But I’m not about to swing the doors open and open up Australia to 4000 cases a day. I mean all that would do is shut the country down internally, and it would ruin our economy. So we’re not about to do that either.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

freebooter posted:

Both the ABC and Fairfax really seem to be gearing up for a run of "we have to let go of this zero COVID policy" based on... either lockdown fatigue or the idea that once everyone is vaccinated we shouldn't have to do it. If it's the latter you'd think maybe they could wait until everyone who wants to be is fully vaccinated rather than, right now, the vast bulk of Australians not even having had their first.

The federal government is thankfully not having a bar of it:

I think a target is a bit pointless, I don’t think falling short of an arbitrary 70% threshold or something is going to convince anti vaxxers to get the jab to get us over the line.

I hope they ensure that everyone who wants to be vaccinated has the opportunity to do so then open up after that. There’s no point in damaging the economy for any longer than absolutely necessary to protect people who have refused to accept the easiest form of protection .

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
O.K. but, like, it’s going to kill people who aren’t antivaxxers, too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Who?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Platystemon posted:

That's why you can't do it until after everyone who wants to be vaccinated has had a reasonable chance to do so. We don't have enough vaccine at the moment, so it's not going to be a possibility until some time next year.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Anyone who can’t get the vaccine for genuine medical reasons is going to get covid anyway. Transmission of the virus by vaccinated people is reduced but not eliminated so it’s going to circulate through the community regardless.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Anyone who can’t get the vaccine for genuine medical reasons is going to get covid anyway. Transmission of the virus by vaccinated people is reduced but not eliminated so it’s going to circulate through the community regardless.

Herd immunity is literally the condition where it does not circulate through the community.

The mumps vaccine is no more effective than BNT162b2 (Pfizer’s), but you don’t have one in ten people getting mumps because your country is above the herd immunity threshold in mumps vaccination.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

It’s probably a moot point as short of mandatory vaccination we won’t be reaching herd immunity, and even if we did there’s plenty of other countries that won’t which will act as reservoirs for the virus and spread it through travel.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Melbourne Australia reports zero local covid cases detected yesterday :toot:

https://twitter.com/VicGovDH/status/1403120157711605764

That's not a slam dunk but it's a good sign. Our restrictions eased up a little today so people are allowed to leave the house again for non-essential reasons, etc but we'll be continuing with the mask mandate and a few other light restrictions for a while

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

It’s probably a moot point as short of mandatory vaccination we won’t be reaching herd immunity, and even if we did there’s plenty of other countries that won’t which will act as reservoirs for the virus and spread it through travel.

Which brings us full circle, i.e. this is the reason border restrictions aren't going away any time soon irrespective of Australia's internal vaccination target.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
MEANWHILE, in Miami:

https://twitter.com/CryptoWhale/status/1403078154252603395

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Not vaccinated but attending conventions? Smart.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Purgatory Glory posted:

Not vaccinated but attending conventions? Smart.

Well it is Bitcoin sooooooooo……..

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Platystemon posted:

Herd immunity is literally the condition where it does not circulate through the community.

The mumps vaccine is no more effective than BNT162b2 (Pfizer’s), but you don’t have one in ten people getting mumps because your country is above the herd immunity threshold in mumps vaccination.

It took us years to reach herd immunity for the childhood diseases and that was starting from a point where a lot of people already had natural immunity. We still have outbreaks of some childhood diseases in anti-vax areas like the northern rivers of NSW, and financial incentives haven't been enough to lift the vaccination rates in those areas to a level which would ensure herd immunity.

A non-trivial amount of our population doesn't feel any urgency about getting vaccinated against covid and the relative success of hotel quarantine in keeping the number of cases low only reinforces the attitude that vaccination is something which can wait. You're certainly not seeing people willing to drive long distances to get vaccinated in the way people from other countries have mentioned in this thread.

Reports this morning of another AZ linked death and Australia having a higher rate of the less serious blood clotting reaction to AZ are only going to increase vaccine hesitancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

A non-trivial amount of our population doesn't feel any urgency about getting vaccinated against covid and the relative success of hotel quarantine in keeping the number of cases low only reinforces the attitude that vaccination is something which can wait. You're certainly not seeing people willing to drive long distances to get vaccinated in the way people from other countries have mentioned in this thread.

The Australian federal government has been pushing the message "This is not a race" to try and save face after they made a HUGE deal of bragging about the excellent deals they'd made to secure vaxx shipments and published a vaccine rollout timetable which they catastrophically failed to follow when only some of the shipments made it to out shores. They keep doubling down on the "Not a race" messaging whenever anyone calls them out on it so now vaxx complacency is pretty much official policy

https://twitter.com/AlboMP/status/1399615223460335617

That's less than ideal!

E: Here's an up to date graphic showing the original vaxx goal for the country, the current goal and the actual state of the rollout

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...new-cases-today

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 11, 2021