Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pasco posted:

Not really, since again, anyone over here who's been to a church in the last year would be considered pretty drat devout.

To get at what you're going after you'd have to be as explicit as something like "Fundamentalist Christian" or "Creationist".
That doesn't get the nuance of people who just do church stuff for special occasions like their wedding, baptisms, confirmation, or whatever other important rituals are associated with the church. That's definitely more than just being culturally Christian, but it's not exactly fundamentalist poo poo either. Really, going to sermons ain't either, being a fundamentalist isn't the only way to have Christianity be a big part of your identity.

Obviously the best way to ask these kinds of questions is to define the groups first, so people understand what the different categories indicate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well, I have heard that they have played us all for fools.

Maybe we should stop doing language.

Ugh. Ugh ugh ugh. Ugh.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
bar bar bar!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tree Goat posted:

i can't find the original post from this thread but do you mean the person saying that all indoeuropean languages were invented by benedectine monks and basque is the only real one https://web.archive.org/web/20090428140552/http://www.islandnet.com/~nyland/homepage.html

Yup that's the one.

ENGLISH IS AN INVENTED LANGUAGE.

It is clear that none of the English etymological dictionaries are doing justice to the tremendous language creation efforts of the Benedictine linguists, later continued by famous writers such as Chaucer, Shakespeare and Tyndale. In fact, most of the modern word etymologies in our dictionaries appear to be guesswork or wishful thinking. The problem is that none of the languages which are presently assumed to be part of the Indo-European language "family" are genetically related i.e. not one of them evolved slowly over time from another. They were all invented by early linguists and forced onto a reluctant public by a determined and occasionally cruel church leadership.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Guavanaut posted:

Do Creationists exist for languages?

Like the creation of species is two contradictory accounts in Genesis 1 and 2 and that's about it, whereas the separation of languages is a fixed and at least internally consistent narrative in Genesis 11, humans all speak one language and build the Tower of Babel and then get scattered everywhere with different languages, so are there people who think that a bunch of people were just dropped on what's now Spain speaking modern Spanish etc?

You could easily say that the Tower of Babel incident is where Proto-Indo-European, Proto-Afro-Asiatic, Proto-Sino-Tibetan, et al. come from. And from there on those languages split and developed as they did in history. It even kinda syncs with how we can't really trace languages back any farther than those porto-languages anyway (Note I don't believe this, I'm just postulating). Some Creationists back in their late 90's early 00's heyday tried do a similar thing where they admit Natural Selection/Evolution happens but say it started with like Proto-Canines that split into all the modern Dogs after Noah's flood and such.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, that would be the 'intelligent design' version I guess, where you admit that stoats and otters look a bit alike and could have come from the same proto weasel but humans were created specifically by God and we're not monkeys (which I guess is the core of the issue really, no Creationist really cares whether dolphins were once land animals unless some of the ones in captivity have been listening to Ken Ham).

But are there any Young Earth Creationist types for language? I guess there must be, because 3,000 years is scarcely enough time for PIE to become all the languages it did, let alone whatever came before, so do they just think that Babel happened and so God said "screw this, you go here and speak French, you go here and speak Polish, you go here and speak Xhosa"?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

There are a lot of Covid vaccines

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There is probably at least one creationist/tower of babel truther who also believes in the conspiracy theory about the Pope inventing Charlemagne and several centuries of history to bamboozle us with a new calendar for reasons

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There is probably at least one creationist/tower of babel truther who also believes in the conspiracy theory about the Pope inventing Charlemagne and several centuries of history to bamboozle us with a new calendar for reasons

yeah, a lot of creationists are protestant, there’s no reason their particular worldview is constricted to theological matters, and not political ones as well. The official dogma of the Catholic Church at this point is that the Genesis creation narrative is meant to be poetic, not literal.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

There are a lot of Covid vaccines

i prefer the cool, refreshing immune response of Sputnik Lite

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Catholic Church has never really been fundimentalist. Like half their beliefs are essentially fanon or repurposed pagan stuff. Which was, aside from the rampant corruption, was one of the problems the early Protestants had with the church: it wasn't taking the bible literally enough.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Guavanaut posted:

But are there any Young Earth Creationist types for language? I guess there must be, because 3,000 years is scarcely enough time for PIE to become all the languages it did, let alone whatever came before, so do they just think that Babel happened and so God said "screw this, you go here and speak French, you go here and speak Polish, you go here and speak Xhosa"?

There are surprisingly many people who believe that the Authorized Version (KJV) is the most accurate version of the Bible so there are probably some people who are unhinged, stupid, or uneducated enough to believe that. The difference is that the stakes for it are not big enough to resist the evidence to the contrary so I’m not sure it would be more than the smallest group.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Catholic Church has never really been fundimentalist. Like half their beliefs are essentially fanon or repurposed pagan stuff. Which was, aside from the rampant corruption, was one of the problems the early Protestants had with the church: it wasn't taking the bible literally enough.

Indeed, their denial of the Emperor caused the collapse of civilization.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Phantom Time is the best conspiracy theory

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

sebzilla posted:

Phantom Time is the best conspiracy theory
The whole Nicea time and Cesar time confusion is the best thing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Toplowtech posted:

The whole Nicea time and Cesar time confusion is the best thing.

I love it because it’s the kind of mistake only a complete idiot would commit to, thinking that they were a genius for discovering someone that had eluded everyone else for a very long time.

It’s like Naomi Wolf with the “death recorded” disaster.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

King Hong Kong posted:

There are surprisingly many people who believe that the Authorized Version (KJV) is the most accurate version of the Bible so there are probably some people who are unhinged, stupid, or uneducated enough to believe that. The difference is that the stakes for it are not big enough to resist the evidence to the contrary so I’m not sure it would be more than the smallest group.

I don't understand this either. Wikipedia tells me that most KJV only people think that it's divinely revealed, sometimes to the point that it supersedes the original Hebrew and Greek texts. Like what the gently caress!?

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

ToxicAcne posted:

I don't understand this either. Wikipedia tells me that most KJV only people think that it's divinely revealed, sometimes to the point that it supersedes the original Hebrew and Greek texts. Like what the gently caress!?

These people don’t know why or how the translation exists. However, they are used to using it so it must also be the best and they come up with insane reasons for why that is.

Either that or they are committed monarchists who hate marginal notes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tweezer Reprise posted:

yeah, a lot of creationists are protestant, there’s no reason their particular worldview is constricted to theological matters, and not political ones as well. The official dogma of the Catholic Church at this point is that the Genesis creation narrative is meant to be poetic, not literal.

Yup. Catholic teaching states that basically a good chunk of the Bible is allegorical and God created the universe but via physics and science so God probably created the Big Bang and nature and physics took over from there including the evolution of man. Any new scientific discoveries may also adjust this as needed

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's like how Nachmanides says "the work of creation is a deep secret, and is not intelligible from the verses".

From that perspective then maybe figuring it out (either the scientific bits of life and worlds and cosmos, or the archaeological, historical, and linguistic bits of the multiple creation myths that came together to form it) is part of the pleasures of this world. But nope, literal 6 day creation specifically from some 17th century king.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Goddamn trying to make sense of that, and then immediately having to backtrack all of it because it definitely says Iceland, not Ireland.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What's the geographic or cultural distinction for the reindeer/sheep barrier? It doesn't match the rest much.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tick disease map. South lookin' better here.

Lookin' worse in heartworm.

Rabies vectors.

Of course, none of these are the leading cause of death.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I’m surprised colorado is also heart disease it always looks best on the “people in this state are healthy” maps

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What's the geographic or cultural distinction for the reindeer/sheep barrier? It doesn't match the rest much.

Reindeer were imported from Finnmark in the late 18th century.

Four different herds were implanted on separate occasions to different parts of the country (north, south, east, and the Westman Islands to be specific) but after a series of harsh winters and natural disasters* they were all wiped out except the one in the he east. The eastern part of Iceland is cut off from the rest of the country by highlands and glacial rivers which makes it somewhat difficult for them to spread out much. Until roads and wagons arrived in Iceland in the early 1900s it was faster to go by ship from eastern Iceland to Copenhagen and from there to Reykjavík than to travel between them by land.

*Most notably the Mist Hardship of 1783-1785 when a massive volcanic eruption blotted out the sun and killed about 75% of Icelandic livestock via poison gasses, ash rain, and from the cooling effect the lack of sun caused. It's theorised that this same eruption may have been the cause for widespread crop failures throughout western Europe most notably in France where the subsequent famine contributed to the causes of the French Revolution.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Badger of Basra posted:

I’m surprised colorado is also heart disease it always looks best on the “people in this state are healthy” maps

Heart disease includes some conditions that are primarily caused by being old.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Looks to me like doctors in Ile-de-France and Bucharest are kinda bad at their jobs.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, that would be the 'intelligent design' version I guess, where you admit that stoats and otters look a bit alike and could have come from the same proto weasel but humans were created specifically by God and we're not monkeys (which I guess is the core of the issue really, no Creationist really cares whether dolphins were once land animals unless some of the ones in captivity have been listening to Ken Ham).

There was one Goropius Becanus, a Renaissance scholar from Antwerp who deducted that Dutch, and more specifically the Antwerp dialect, was the oldest human language because it was right there in the name, you see: Dietsch - Doutsch - D'oudste (~Dutch - Doltch - The oldest). It's still pretty great how the stereotype of Antwerpians who are convinced the Greenwich meridian runs through their asscracks is at least 600 years old.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

ultrafilter posted:

Heart disease includes some conditions that are primarily caused by being old.

Yeah, 'heart disease' is basically what kills you if nothing else will.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pope Hilarius II posted:

There was one Goropius Becanus, a Renaissance scholar from Antwerp who deducted that Dutch, and more specifically the Antwerp dialect, was the oldest human language because it was right there in the name, you see: Dietsch - Doutsch - D'oudste (~Dutch - Doltch - The oldest). It's still pretty great how the stereotype of Antwerpians who are convinced the Greenwich meridian runs through their asscracks is at least 600 years old.
The Wiki version of his beliefs sounds amazing

quote:

A corollary of this theory was that all languages derived ultimately from Brabantic. For example, Goropius derived the Latin word for "oak", quercus, from werd-cou (Brabantic for "keeps out cold"). Similarly, he derived the Hebrew name "Noah" from nood ("need"). Goropius also believed that Adam and Eve were Brabantic names (from Hath-Dam, or "dam against hate", for "Adam", and from Eu-Vat ("barrel from which people originated") or Eet-Vat ("oath-barrel") for "Eve", respectively). Another corollary involved locating the Garden of Eden itself in the Brabant region. In the book known as Hieroglyphica, Goropius also allegedly proved to his own satisfaction that Egyptian hieroglyphics represented Brabantic.
but unfortunately lacks any citation.

Absolutely amazing the idea that both Finkel's flood tablets and the pyramids were pronounced in his local Dutch dialect though. :lmao:

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Looks to me like doctors in Ile-de-France and Bucharest are kinda bad at their jobs.

This is a really interesting map... but why use 5 shades of orange and 2 shades of blue?

There are so many other colours to make your data readable!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ToxicAcne posted:

Rabies vectors.

Arizona and Alaska is the weirdest team.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well, I have heard that they have played us for absolute fools.

Maybe we should stop doing language.

You first.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Another map where Portugal is a east-european co.... why is portugal different here? is weird, maybe something related to food?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Tei posted:

Another map where Portugal is a east-european co.... why is portugal different here? is weird, maybe something related to food?

I imagine it's mainly that Portugal is poorer than most of western Europe so the people there haven't got fat enough to die from fat related vascular conditions instead of old age ones, but also that their diet is more based on fish than red meat.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'd imagine smoking and alcohol consumption rates are also affecting this map, although idk how the regions compare on that front.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I mean given the lots of near national border divisions that occur even between countries with similar development, there must be some reporting / classification fuckery going on.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Tei posted:

Alcohol, maybe?

This heavily reinforces stereotypes about Scotland and East Germany.

Another map in which Portugal is an honorary East European country.

From the rather grim report Who dies of what in Europe before the age of 65

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Tei posted:

Portuguese is Spanish spoken by Russians who really aren't that good at Spanish.