Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

binge crotching posted:

That is one ugly rear end mod

What does HugeGrossBurrito have to do with it?

Hehe first post, now you've got no choice but to click on the quote to understand what is going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Renaissance Robot posted:

If this isn't a crime it probably should be.

if grover was a giant

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Off the top of my head, could this be a way to add space without messing with the original structure? It seems like it'd be easier to tear off that box than mess with mortar and stone.
Yeah, that's why it was done, the issue is it was done in the most hideous way possible. It seems to be a thing that happens with some frequency in the rural areas of the UK, where you're not allowed to demolish an older barn/hovel/castle, so people sort of graft new construction onto the old. It usually looks better than this.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

This is some kind of spite house thing, right?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Out of curiosity, how would anyone here do the same structure better? Obviously shelling out for a single pitched roof instead of that stepped monstrosity, but I can't decide what I'd do about the siding. PVC planks are the absolute worst but I don't know if there's any option that actually looks good. Diamond shingles maybe?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i'm loving terrible. i hated it at first but the more i look at it, the more i like it, especially that front shot. it's sort of... cheeky?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Out of curiosity, how would anyone here do the same structure better? Obviously shelling out for a single pitched roof instead of that stepped monstrosity, but I can't decide what I'd do about the siding. PVC planks are the absolute worst but I don't know if there's any option that actually looks good. Diamond shingles maybe?

I would simply not do it.

e: less sarcastic, nothing is going to look good there short of the original stone and good luck finding someone you can afford whose specialty is "redoing large, missing, potentially structural parts of exterior stone from hundreds of years ago, authentically". If looking even remotely decent is a requirement then it's a requirement that won't reasonably be reached by the average person. Especially not someone who does that to it. Echoing the "this has to be a spite thing" sentiment.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 9, 2021

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I would have gone for something that looks like a hoard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoarding_(castle)

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

The hoard post is a good one.

Very dark wood, wood and plaster, or brick would all be good. Light blue lap siding ain't it.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Painting the whole tower a wacky color is a cool idea imo

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

So this is in Scotland and the rules for historic buildings are really weird. If you do any add ons or renovations, it has to be obvious that it's not a part of the original structure, and it has to be easily removed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Armacham posted:

So this is in Scotland and the rules for historic buildings are really weird. If you do any add ons or renovations, it has to be obvious that it's not a part of the original structure, and it has to be easily removed.

The more I look at it, the more it looks like it was done simply to cover external access stairs for the tower.

edit: but yeah, some sort of dark, wood-looking sheathing would be very much better.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Modern renovations blended with ancient walls megapost.
https://www.dezeen.com/tag/ruins/

Action shot of new structure being lowered into ruins.
https://www.dezeen.com/2010/02/14/the-dovecote-studio-by-haworth-tompkins/

peanut fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 9, 2021

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

nishi koichi posted:

it's sort of... cheeky?

Yeah, it definitely looks like rear end.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Yeah, it definitely looks like rear end.

:wal::stat:

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
nice

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Armacham posted:

Interesting. How do they add modern utilities like lights or indoor plumbing then? Because those require drilling and cutting.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 10, 2021

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

kid sinister posted:

Interesting. How do they add modern utilities like lights or indoor plumbing then? Because those require drilling and cutting.

The require cutting and drilling to be hidden inside the walls. If you just run the pipes and wires out in the open you don't need much cutting or drilling at all.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

It lives :grovertoot:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2253640

He used Pea Gravel to backfill a trench :allears:

E: Nonononon he tried to use pea gravel for the foundation

quote:

My concrete guy told me it would be OK if we put down some pea gravel, so I go and buy a $400 truckload of pea gravel and we put it down on all the mud, stake off all the heights for concrete and lay down rebar… and the city comes out and fails it! Tells me the ground is far too weak and the pea gravel is illegal and has to be removed. Also, because of the problems, I would have to hire an engineer! So, I hire an engineer and he comes out and tells me we have to dig 18” deeper, widen the trenches to 36” wide and pour in #57 stone and build up wood molds the whole way around for the concrete- I’m about in tears at the point, but we work out an alternate plan where instead of dumping $1500 worth of stone in, I’d add $500 worth of stone, step the foundation and an extra layer of block at the deep parts instead instead- I pay the engineer to come out the the whole day and watch us dig so he can probe the ground and approve it and we can immediately dump in wheelbarrows full of rocks before the ground seepage turns it into muck that wouldn’t support the house. Because of the weather and having to work around predicted rainstorms we ended up working Christmas eve and the day after Christmas! FINALLY we get the foundation done, 2 weeks of hell later and $8000 over-budget. What a way to start! I got the under-house pluming laid and approved by the plumbing inspector, though, which made us at least feel a little better.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 10, 2021

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

quote:

Also at this stage, we discovered that the 100’ fiberglass tape measure that I used to square off the foundation stretched about ¾” over 50’ and had f’ed up our foundation pins, making the one wall of our house 1.5” shorter than the other,

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Darchangel posted:

The more I look at it, the more it looks like it was done simply to cover external access stairs for the tower.

edit: but yeah, some sort of dark, wood-looking sheathing would be very much better.

The story I heard (might not be true) was that the owner wanted to have a much bigger add-on to the keep but the council and historic protection people nixed the plans and only let them do that small addition. So this was done as a FU to the planning people.

The rules for building or renovating historic buildings are very strict and as mentioned should use the original methods and materials most of the time unless it is an addition. If it is an addition then the rules can be different. The entire process is a pain in the arse so most people who buy them do so as a passion project.

Recently there was a developer who demolished a protected pub in London, thinking it was better to pay any fines and build what they wanted than to go through the entire process and be told no. Unfortunately for the developer they didn't know that the the typical response to this sort of thing is to force the owner to rebuild/make right and they were left with a choice, either rebuild the property back to its original state or leave it as a pile of rubble forever as a worthless bit of land. They rebuilt and then sold it off.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

peanut posted:

Modern renovations blended with ancient walls megapost.
https://www.dezeen.com/tag/ruins/

Action shot of new structure being lowered into ruins.
https://www.dezeen.com/2010/02/14/the-dovecote-studio-by-haworth-tompkins/

Ok, that's kind of cool. The color blends well, it doesn't stick out too much between the other buildings, and I like the "the new building is exactly the size of the interior of the old one" design, even if it reminds me of a chocolate covered peanut with half the chocolate bitten off.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

loving lmao

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Jaguars! posted:

quote:

Also at this stage, we discovered that the 100’ fiberglass tape measure that I used to square off the foundation stretched about ¾” over 50’ and had f’ed up our foundation pins, making the one wall of our house 1.5” shorter than the other,

That is my favorite detail of groverhaus, and it's one that gets missed sometimes. But lol

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Vim Fuego posted:

That is my favorite detail of groverhaus, and it's one that gets missed sometimes. But lol

That's the most forgiveable thing he did on that monstrosity.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Recently there was a developer who demolished a protected pub in London, thinking it was better to pay any fines and build what they wanted than to go through the entire process and be told no. Unfortunately for the developer they didn't know that the the typical response to this sort of thing is to force the owner to rebuild/make right and they were left with a choice, either rebuild the property back to its original state or leave it as a pile of rubble forever as a worthless bit of land. They rebuilt and then sold it off.

LOL.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waglF7IvaFA

e: At thirteen minutes they talk about rejected designs. At thirty‐one, they’re building the addition. At forty, the ugly blue stepped part is revealed.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 11, 2021

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

SkyeAuroline posted:

It's not the worst except for all the serious staining around the toilet showing just how hard to clean that is, or alternately, how little of a poo poo they give.

ancestral peecall

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

kid sinister posted:

Yeah they put them outside the walls in conduits/bulkheads.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Platystemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waglF7IvaFA

e: At thirteen minutes they talk about rejected designs. At thirty‐one, they’re building the addition. At forty, the ugly blue stepped part is revealed.

Honestly, I'm all for malicious compliance from listening around 13 minutes. Sounds like the equivalent to the HOA from hell

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The first design mockup looks a lot like what I'd have wanted to do, sucks that they can reject it on the grounds of "it's too similar but also not authentic enough and might confuse future historians". You'd think this would be easy enough to fix by mandating the inclusion of a disasterproof time capsule containing all the information about the original structure and the addition, like they have on German churches.

Then again the fact they rejected his later proposals for essentially the opposite reason makes me think maybe somebody on the committee just hated that guy in particular.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Another entry in the classic genre of hosed up bathrooms: https://twitter.com/harryaaron/stat...ingawful.com%2F

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

At least a trail of yellow tile leads you to more yellow tile in case you don’t know where you’re suppose to piss.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
yeah I really respect the pre-"inundated with piss" color and shape scheme

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Putting a full flight of stairs inside the restroom is inspired. Never seen that one before.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
full on-your-back slip-n-slide until you have your head bashed into a terlet.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I only just realised if you click through there's a video tour of this magical place:
https://twitter.com/harryaaron/status/1403562959092207616

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Very intense 100 second video

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Something about a War Memorial not being ADA compliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

GreenNight posted:

Something about a War Memorial not being ADA compliant.

well they built the thing in 1926 so it's probably retrofitted elsewhere