Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Stexils posted:

15 went through significant devhell so maybe there was just three guys quietly sitting in a corner for 8 years while everything else was getting shuffled and rearranged and thrown out and reworked just continually polishing the Cave Set the whole time

That is essentially what happened.

https://twitter.com/FFXVEN/status/655096152954572803?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
PYF little things in games: Cool rock added!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Didn't FFXV also use a bunch of the ridiculous amount of leftover assets from FFXIII's development?

Seems a recurring theme with Squeenix that the artists just do whatever while the gameplay development is a basket case.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

packetmantis posted:

PYF little things in games: Cool rock added!

nice rock

for a clown

to take to the circus

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Didn't FFXV also use a bunch of the ridiculous amount of leftover assets from FFXIII's development?

Seems a recurring theme with Squeenix that the artists just do whatever while the gameplay development is a basket case.

Well FFXV originally started life as FFXIII Versus, as part of the whole Fabula Nova Crytalis thing. So yes, it is using a huge amount of leftover assets, but it's less a recurring issue and more one whole continuous development hellscape that was the FFXIII project.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
If I had to summarize all of the problems FFXIII and all the Fabula Nova Crytalis games,I'd say that if you could name a problem in development that could happen to a software project, it happened there. Engine changes, poor management, switching project leads, poor planning, poor communication, i think the only thing that didn't happen was a ton of people dying or the building lighting on fire.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

In Mass Effect 3, there's a class of enemies that carries giant shields in front of them which basically absorb incoming damage. A pain, except it turns out you can snipe them through the eye slit, and conveniently enough the sniper rifles are by far my favorite weapons. There's even a "mail slot" achievement for doing it repeatedly :v:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Captain Hygiene posted:

In Mass Effect 3, there's a class of enemies that carries giant shields in front of them which basically absorb incoming damage. A pain, except it turns out you can snipe them through the eye slit, and conveniently enough the sniper rifles are by far my favorite weapons. There's even a "mail slot" achievement for doing it repeatedly :v:

I don't know why, but I had to read this three times before I could get the idea of skeletons being the ones holding the shields out of my head.

Not sure what pathways that thought took, but my brain was adamant that OF COURSE it was skeletons carrying giant shields.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

I don't know why, but I had to read this three times before I could get the idea of skeletons being the ones holding the shields out of my head.

Not sure what pathways that thought took, but my brain was adamant that OF COURSE it was skeletons carrying giant shields.

I could picture that. Honestly I'm surprised I haven't been fighting more skeleton-looking mooks.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

The Widow rifles also just punch right through it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Haven't run into one in this game yet, I'm using a Viper right now which is a bit lower damage, but I'm enjoying thanks to its higher fire rate.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

You can even mod other guns to just blow straight through too, it rules. Usually shield enemies are incredibly annoying.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You can also use good old pull and yoink them away

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Or drop a drone or turret right behind them, and nine times out of ten they'll turn around to shoot the new threat.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

Haven't run into one in this game yet, I'm using a Viper right now which is a bit lower damage, but I'm enjoying thanks to its higher fire rate.

The Black Widow is buyable from the Spectre terminal on the Citadel but it's pricy.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

It's a shame you only get the M-99 Saber so late in the game. Lining multiple mail slots with that is :discourse:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

The Black Widow is buyable from the Spectre terminal on the Citadel but it's pricy.

:tipshat:
I had 250000 credits saved up because I keep forgetting to look for weapons shops outside the ship. It was a great sniper in ME2 so I went ahead and grabbed it.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
I regret to inform you that, as it is clear that you are not playing Vanguard, The Correct Class™, all of your feelings are invalid

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

drat horror queefs posted:

I regret to inform you that, as it is clear that you are not playing Vanguard, The Correct Class™, all of your feelings are invalid

Death or glory as you ram enemies at mach 3 while wielding a shotgun that has so much recoil it shatters the arms of normal humans that use it but has a range slightly shorter than you can spit.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I just went straight-up Soldier since this was my first time through and I figured being gun-centric would be the easiest thing to do, but Vanguard was the other one I came closest to trying. I'm liking 2&3 enough to come back and try that. The only worry is that I like sniping so much that it's gonna be tough to move away from that.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
playing a Vanguard means Shepard IS the sniper bullet.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I just learned that there's little pixel Final Fantasy 1 characters hidden in the decor in a recent FFXIV dungeon. Love it.

https://twitter.com/surfacage/status/1402779838155354117?s=20

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Still one of the high points in one of my favorite video game series ever.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vanguard, The Correct Class™

GOD it was just fun as gently caress blasting around the map like a human racketball

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

a kitten posted:

I just learned that there's little pixel Final Fantasy 1 characters hidden in the decor in a recent FFXIV dungeon. Love it.

https://twitter.com/surfacage/status/1402779838155354117?s=20

So is Matoya dating Bahamut in FF14 as well? And does she still award the Armoire of Invincibility for doing her quest?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Pokemon OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire: In the fourth gym, there are trap doors that open under you to move you to the lower floor. When you step on one, your character does a kind of Looney Tunes-esque running-on-air animation for a second before falling, complete with slide whistle sound effect.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Screaming Idiot posted:

So is Matoya dating Bahamut in FF14 as well? And does she still award the Armoire of Invincibility for doing her quest?

Alas, no to both. She's still pretty cool tho

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Just played through the Citadel DLC for Mass Effect 3 (LE) and the drunk Krogan(s?) at the party, just saying "Shepherd" over and over really got to me.

This scene.

The whole thing was pretty enjoyable. "Aw, I wanted to go."

Also, ME3 in general, seeing that guy finally get his 15 credit refund was great.

Agents are GO! has a new favorite as of 05:45 on Jun 10, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Maybe it’s: I should GO. I SHOULD go. “I” should go.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lair of the Shadow Broker, Grunt's Dossier posted:

Recent Extranet Activity
Recent Extranet Search Summary:

SEARCH: krogan history

SEARCH: great wars

SEARCH: genofage / ERASED / krogan victories

SEARCH: okeer/ ERASED / great generals

SEARCH: toochanka/ ERASED / tuchanka

SEARCH: urnot wrex

SEARCH: battlemaster shepard/ MODIFIED/ commander shepard/MODIFIED/commander shepard normandy

SEARCH: animal fights / MODIFIED / large predators

SEARCH: tryrannsauros wrex/ ERASED / earth lizard wrex

SEARCH: dinosaurs

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
There's something satisfying about using a power washer to blast the dirt and grime off of a house.

Behold! A story in five acts!

This house is utterly filthy.

Got the driveway uncovered...

And the entire front of the house!

The back is in even worse shape...

Even if it is a video game house, that sucker looks a hundred million thousand times better!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

If you like that, please play House Flipper, because it is all about that poo poo.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just got through some interesting challenges in Ghost Parade doing a standard metroidvania-style "Go back to earlier areas and do a Thing you couldn't do before in each of them" segment that had some interesting combinations of obstacles (plotwise it's finding and recruiting three super-powerful spirits to your cause but weirdly rather than being in the ghost menu they turn into accessories). A lot of fireballs, but also riding walljump-walls like horizontal elevators while dodging the fireballs, and bounce mats that swing on an axis that makes them really hard to actually land on. The first one was annoying as there were no checkpoints, but the second one was neat and had a fun boss that had the cute visual thing of a bunch of minions watching the fight like a theatre audience :3:

I'm approaching the endgame now, but I'm gonna see if I can find more optional ghosts to recruit first.

Pijeus
Feb 24, 2007
Grimey Drawer

DoubleNegative posted:

There's something satisfying about using a power washer to blast the dirt and grime off of a house.

Behold! A story in five acts!

This house is utterly filthy.

Got the driveway uncovered...

And the entire front of the house!

The back is in even worse shape...

Even if it is a video game house, that sucker looks a hundred million thousand times better!

In a similar vein there is house cleaning simulator on switch...it honestly looks really similar to house flipper, and it absolutely is not worth 17.99 but it is just bananas and gives the same tidying up glow.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Legion's dossier is great too. They're a gamer (gamers?) who keeps getting banned because other people keep reporting them as a bot.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

grittyreboot posted:

Legion's dossier is great too. They're a gamer (gamers?) who keeps getting banned because other people keep reporting them as a bot.

They're not wrong.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

You forgot the part of his dossier where he discovers Hemingway

quote:

SEARCH: battlemaster humans/ ERASED / earth humans

SEARCH: human history

SEARCH: earth wars

// DOWNLOAD 6.1T NEWS FOOTAGE - HUMAN GENERAL HISTORICAL - CONFLICT //

SEARCH: warrior humans

// DOWNLOAD 2.1T DOCUMENTARY FOOTAGE - HUMAN GENERAL HISTORICAL- MAJOR MILITARY FIGURES //

SEARCH: great humans/ MODIFIED / honored humans

// DOWNLOAD 0.7T NEWSFOOTAGE [sic] - HUMAN ACHIEVEMENT- AWARDS //

SEARCH: great storytellers human

SEARCH: war stories

// DOWNLOAD 0.67T LITERATURE - HUMAN WRITERS CONFLICT//

SEARCH: human homer kipling hemmingway

// DOWNLOAD 0.13T LITERATURE - HUMAN WRITERS – EARNEST HEMMINGWAY //

// DOWNLOAD 0.06T AUDIO BOOKS //

// THE SUN ALSO RISES //
14% COMPLETED

// FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS //
100% COMPLETED

// A FAREWELL TO ARMS //
DELETED

// THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA //
100% COMPLETED

SEARCH: sharks

EDIT: Jacob apparently likes playing Old Yeller in the background while he works out. :stare:

quote:

Most recent workout stats:
- Crunches: 300
- Side crunches: 250 (per side)
- Squat thrusts: 300
- Leg lifts: 250
- Leg lifts (weighted): 125
- Half sit-ups: 600

Most popular workout entertainment:
- Blasto: The Jellyfish Stings
- Making of Blasto: The Jellyfish Stings
- Old Yeller: Centennial Remastered Edition
- Asari Confessions 26: True Blue

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
No wonder Jacob didn’t really need your help to find emotional closure. He’s a sociopath.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Screaming Idiot posted:

They're not wrong.

:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Philippe posted:

If you like that, please play House Flipper, because it is all about that poo poo.

From what I played of it back at launch, House Flipper was great. But I really found myself wishing the game could just randomly generate jobs for you like other simulators. Once you finished the "career" mode content, that was it outside of free play.