Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
That seems like enough of a starting point, thanks all.

Oh, new page....I am going to be profoundly sad when Immortal Hulk is over and Hulk will go back to seeming like a comic book, and not some sort of insane fever dream of a man trapped in a bookstore entirely made up of gothic and religious literature. But I repeat myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013
I'm sad about Hulk back to being just another comic book, but I guess that's the nature of mainstream comics. They never end, but at least we have the satisfaction of seeing great runs like Immortal Hulk ending as their authors want them to.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Wanderer posted:

I know she's British by nationality, but does Faiza Hussain count?

Isn't she Pakistani, not MENA?

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah, me too. I was reading it on marvel unlimited and once I heard it was going to be an even fifty issues I decided to just wait for it to be done and binge it. It was by far my favorite current title, but I知 glad it値l have a definite conclusion as opposed to just petering out or get taken over by a different writer. I know some dipshit, I think Cates is taking over Hulk but they池e not going to be still calling it Immortal Hulk, right? It値l be some status quo revamp?

E:^well that answers that. : )

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Angry Salami posted:

Isn't she Pakistani, not MENA?

Yeah, looking at her wikipedia entry it says her parents are Pakistani immigrants and her name comes from a British cricket player of Indian descent. I was gonna say Kamal Khan until I remembered she was also Pakistani.

Has Dust been in any of the Hickman era books, there's a lot of issues with her as a character but I liked her in the post Morrison books she was in (X-Men Legacy I think, with Rogue leading a team?)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, looking at her wikipedia entry it says her parents are Pakistani immigrants and her name comes from a British cricket player of Indian descent. I was gonna say Kamal Khan until I remembered she was also Pakistani.

Has Dust been in any of the Hickman era books, there's a lot of issues with her as a character but I liked her in the post Morrison books she was in (X-Men Legacy I think, with Rogue leading a team?)

As a background crowd filler character like every other New X-Men era kid except Pixie and Glob what no I'm not bitter

Like she's been a relevant character in Champions way more than in any X-Men stuff for the last five or six years

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I want a mini or something that's these three
https://twitter.com/WolverSteve/status/1402356341512015883?s=20
They were all on Avenger in the Bendis era and have teamed up a bunch, but I want something that's literally just those three, no other heroes aside from brief cameos.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Yeah, me too. I was reading it on marvel unlimited and once I heard it was going to be an even fifty issues I decided to just wait for it to be done and binge it. It was by far my favorite current title, but I知 glad it値l have a definite conclusion as opposed to just petering out or get taken over by a different writer. I know some dipshit, I think Cates is taking over Hulk but they池e not going to be still calling it Immortal Hulk, right? It値l be some status quo revamp?

E:^well that answers that. : )

Brace yourself for the Inevitable Knullk.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I enjoy the "Logan as the dirtbag protective older brother/Peter as the dweeby younger brother" relationship, and adding Steve to the formula as the successful straight laced older brother that the two younger fuckups both love and hate would work great

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

X-O posted:

Flash's time as Venom was the best. Agent Venom was great and so was Spaceknight Venom during his time with the Guardians.

Don稚 forget Thunderbolts!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I was excited that Squirrel Girl was in a comic this week... Until I read it. WEB of Spider-Man is fine but she feels really off.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

They should make her a mutant again so she can go chill with Laura and Gabby on Krakoa.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Skwirl posted:

I want a mini or something that's these three
https://twitter.com/WolverSteve/status/1402356341512015883?s=20
They were all on Avenger in the Bendis era and have teamed up a bunch, but I want something that's literally just those three, no other heroes aside from brief cameos.

Yup. Just sit them at a bar for an issue, I don't care. The interaction will write itself.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I wasn't as much of a fan of this week's Heroes Reborn as I was of previous issues. It felt much less like a DC pastiche and more just Zarda is bloodthirsty, and it did more than any other issue to move the story along and kind of suffered for that.

Night Gwen, on the other hand, worked much better as a kinda sorta Batgirl story, especially all those panels of her on the motor cycle with the flowing cape.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i am kinda in awe of having scott give a little speech to kevin fiege about what the x-men means to him

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh is that who that was? I figured it was someone famous, but I wasn't sure who.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

site posted:

i am kinda in awe of having scott give a little speech to kevin fiege about what the x-men means to him

Work can't end fast enough for me to go buy this issue.

Is it X-Men #21

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Heroes Reborn is a really fun event. It's kinda stupid but they bring an interesting kind of pathos.
Also, I enjoyed Power Princess. She's clearly passionate about drinking, fighting and murder and you just have to admire that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The thing about around 50% of people who want to write Wonder Woman is that they actually want to write Red Sonja.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

The thing about around 50% of people who want to write Wonder Woman is that they actually want to write Red Sonja.

Gail Simone wrote both. I haven't actually read her Wonder Woman, but her Red Sonja was pretty good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Gail Simone wrote both. I haven't actually read her Wonder Woman, but her Red Sonja was pretty good.

Her WW run is also very good, albeit hamstrung a little to start with by having to deal with a goofy status quo Allan Heinberg set up before bailing back to TV land.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

Heroes Reborn is a really fun event. It's kinda stupid but they bring an interesting kind of pathos.
Also, I enjoyed Power Princess. She's clearly passionate about drinking, fighting and murder and you just have to admire that.

She is just so pleased with her invisible sword

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I will say that even incredibly boring events can occasionally throw an incredibly weird turn at me, like "Why is Flash Thompson a dragon?".

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Mulva posted:

I will say that even incredibly boring events can occasionally throw an incredibly weird turn at me, like "Why is Flash Thompson a dragon?".

Ha ha, I'm currently going through a bunch of Marvel's back catalogue and I'm up to Secret Wars II (Which I'm 12 issues, including tie ins, in and it is going nowhere at all.). I've just finished Fantastic Four #285 I've read it before and completely forgotten it. To have a story where a young boy decides to emulate the Human Torch and set himself on fire, killing himself, which gives Johnny a crisis and stops him being the human torch only for the Beyonder to tell him that the kids life was sad a gently caress so it's good actually that he immolated himself so he shouldn't be sad about it. It's just :discourse:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bessantj posted:

Ha ha, I'm currently going through a bunch of Marvel's back catalogue and I'm up to Secret Wars II (Which I'm 12 issues, including tie ins, in and it is going nowhere at all.). I've just finished Fantastic Four #285 I've read it before and completely forgotten it. To have a story where a young boy decides to emulate the Human Torch and set himself on fire, killing himself, which gives Johnny a crisis and stops him being the human torch only for the Beyonder to tell him that the kids life was sad a gently caress so it's good actually that he immolated himself so he shouldn't be sad about it. It's just :discourse:

bessantj posted:

Secret Wars II.... including tie ins

Oh God, why?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

Oh God, why?

Yeah, there should be a self harm TW on that post.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

You would be surprised how many variations of Beyonder shows up and is chill, people attack him for no reason, then he just shrugs and walks away there are! If you guessed a number equal to the number of tie ins you got it right!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

X-O posted:

Oh God, why?

Ha, I'm going through the CMRO (except whatever is missing on MU and some certain titles I don't care about) and that's what's currently going on in part of it. For an event that's supposed to go through 42 issues it's a bunch of absolute nothing so far. And it's in the middle of an interesting X-Men & New Mutants run, which makes it feel worse. I've just finished the 1986 Punisher 5 issue min series and that was pretty good. I'm guessing SW II won't be getting better anytime soon.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

You would be surprised how many variations of Beyonder shows up and is chill, people attack him for no reason, then he just shrugs and walks away there are! If you guessed a number equal to the number of tie ins you got it right!

He's taken several quite brutal beatings and just takes it as the way humans greet each other.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bessantj posted:

Ha, I'm going through the CMRO (except whatever is missing on MU and some certain titles I don't care about) and that's what's currently going on in part of it. For an event that's supposed to go through 42 issues it's a bunch of absolute nothing so far. And it's in the middle of an interesting X-Men & New Mutants run, which makes it feel worse. I've just finished the 1986 Punisher 5 issue min series and that was pretty good. I'm guessing SW II won't be getting better anytime soon.

He's taken several quite brutal beatings and just takes it as the way humans greet each other.

It leaves the New Mutants loving traumatized for quite a while, but that's most New Mutants stories.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

It leaves the New Mutants loving traumatized for quite a while, but that's most New Mutants stories.

Oh they've had a rough ride, Karma especially. The appearance of the Shadow King made me appreciate his look in the Legion TV series, they made him look good.Spider-Man and Thor have had some good issues around this time as well. It's a pretty good time for stories but not for crossover events. I thought the first SW was really good though.

EDIT: Also I've never read Alpha Flight before and Puck is just great.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 10, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bessantj posted:

Oh they've had a rough ride, Karma especially. The appearance of the Shadow King made me appreciate his look in the Legion TV series, they made him look good.Spider-Man and Thor have had some good issues around this time as well. It's a pretty good time for stories but not for crossover events. I thought the first SW was really good though.

Doesn't Karma at some point lose a leg during this time?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Dawgstar posted:

Karma loses her leg in the Second Coming event, about twenty-five years after Secret Wars II.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think she get's super fat because of being taken over by Shadow King around that time, but I don't actually know. I know she get's skinny again because Loki traps her in a desert.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

She gets massively morbidly obese, so could have lost her leg due to diabetes, however, she wanders through a desert for a bit and loses all the weight.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

bessantj posted:

She gets massively morbidly obese, so could have lost her leg due to diabetes, however, she wanders through a desert for a bit and loses all the weight.

gently caress is it that easy?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ilikedirt posted:

It was like an Asgardian desert. They all ended up in Asgard for... reasons. At the end of it even Loki was like "Yeah I'm taking back all your good poo poo but you know what I'mma let Shan there stay "not five hundred pounds" because gently caress the Shadow King."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

Karma loses her leg in the Second Coming event, about twenty-five years after Secret Wars II.

I just realized I don't think I know a thing about Second Coming. That time of the X-Men is like a giant blur. Granted until recently Karma didn't show up regularly enough I could be forgiven for thinking "yeah, she's had that prosthetic for ages."

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

ilikedirt posted:

it's a metaphor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
This new black knight comic has sick art. Great slicing and dicing stuff. Mental illness framing in episode one is a bit silly but the art is great and the framing doesn't carry on to the next 2

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 11, 2021