Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Catfish topped with court-bouillon is delicious, or a good creole tomato sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

gwrtheyrn posted:

Has fried catfish topped with crawfish etouffee always been a thing? I definitely don't remember having them together growing up, but the last time I was in baton rouge I noticed that lots of restaurants had that. Well at least two of them anyways, chimes being one of them

Either way, it was a convenient way of getting two things I wanted at the same time

drat, that sounds good. I’ll have to hit up Chimes when I can finally fly back to the US.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Tried making Shrimp Roban for the first time a couple days ago. Very tasty but it doesn't reheat well at all it seems.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Endless Justin Wilson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfEOok17Lko

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Spent the weekend with Jazz Festing In Place on the radio and made a gator sausage po'boy with remoulade slaw. Nothing fancy but so good.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

TheKingslayer posted:

Spent the weekend with Jazz Festing In Place on the radio and made a gator sausage po'boy with remoulade slaw. Nothing fancy but so good.

Holy gently caress this looks gooooooooooooood.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

Nice! Was really missing the fest this year. JFIP was awesome last year and this year, made it a little better.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Nice! Was really missing the fest this year. JFIP was awesome last year and this year, made it a little better.

Not exactly on thread topic but I'm incredibly impressed by the recordings WWOZ has collected from the old events. Having a recording of Eubie Blake from the 70s is just awesome.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

TheKingslayer posted:

Not exactly on thread topic but I'm incredibly impressed by the recordings WWOZ has collected from the old events. Having a recording of Eubie Blake from the 70s is just awesome.

Do they have an internet stream? I wouldn't mind listening in on this from Rhode Island. Been probably 10 yrs since I've been to Jazz Fest.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

That Works posted:

Do they have an internet stream? I wouldn't mind listening in on this from Rhode Island. Been probably 10 yrs since I've been to Jazz Fest.

You can listen live on the site and while I've never explored it myself they have a whole bunch of interviews and performances on their Groovapedia
https://www.wwoz.org/

Also it broadcasts on TuneIn if you prefer an app option.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

thanks!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

For the jazz fest weeks during COVID they’ve played old recordings of past fest performances, and you could stream them. But unfortunately that ended this past Sunday...

You can still stream WWOZ but it’s not jazz fest anymore, It’s just their regular programming. Which is awesome of course.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
fish courtboullion (using cod)

Not the recipe linked in the OP though. Googled around for stuff, came across the idea of courtboullion with a more cajun take that start with a roux, use that to make a super thick sauce, and then semi-poach the fish on top of that in the oven. Turns out that works really well with cod, pollack, and other fish that's easy to overcook. I'm not a fan of poaching fish normally, but this way the sauce is so thick that the fish sort of floats on top and still gets a bit of bake action.

It's super-good.

Vague recipe:
1.5 lbs fish
2 onions
3-4 stalks celery
1 large green pepper
2-3 cloves garlic
1 can diced tomato
1 cup seafood or chicken stock
1 lemon

prep fish a few hours ahead: pat dry with paper towel, season w/ old bay & black pepper

preheat oven 300
make light cajun roux from 1/2 cup flour
add & saute veggies, add seasoning:
thyme, oregano
minced garlic
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

add diced tomato & stock, until consistency is liquid but still very thick
simmer a few minutes to come together
lay fish on top, put some thin lemon slices on fish
put in oven for approx 12-15min
squeeze remainder lemon over when done

very easy 1 pan dinner

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Nice, love a court-bouillon

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Nolacuisine doesn’t have a crab au gratin recipe, who does? I remember having the one at Deanie’s and it being probably the richest thing I’ve ever eaten.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I don’t have a recipe but drat is it rich...I had the French version in Brittany and it was fantastic

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

This one is out of Justin Wilson's book.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Looks pretty simple, surprisingly. The hard part is going to be getting decent lump crabmeat in the UK.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Have a bunch of crawfish shells going to make stock for future etouffee and I'm excited.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

Have a bunch of crawfish shells going to make stock for future etouffee and I'm excited.

Yessss :getin: the stock game. Your étouffée will be so much tastier.

I made some crab/lobster shell stock the other day. My kitchen is under renovation but when it comes time for gumbo, I’ll be ready...

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

y'all recommends have been on point in the past. I've cooked the courtboullion in the OP a couple times and its turned out great. What other recipes do you guys recommend for whole fresh fish? The fish market I frequent typically has whiting, black drum, sheepshead, vermillion snapper, assorted groupers, spanish macks, etc.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Honestly I'm having trouble coming up with a Cajun/Creole whole fish recipe that doesn't start with "fillet the fucker" as step 0. Someone will probably be along to take my Louisiana card shortly but the best I could suggest is to make something Southern Italian.

That aside, Redfish Pontchartrain is about as classic as you can get. Most of those other fish (except maybe the Spanish mackerels?) would work well in that dish. https://www.arnaudsrestaurant.com/2012/08/recipe-of-the-week-gulf-fish-pontchartrain/

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Discussion Quorum posted:

Honestly I'm having trouble coming up with a Cajun/Creole whole fish recipe that doesn't start with "fillet the fucker" as step 0. Someone will probably be along to take my Louisiana card shortly but the best I could suggest is to make something Southern Italian.

That aside, Redfish Pontchartrain is about as classic as you can get. Most of those other fish (except maybe the Spanish mackerels?) would work well in that dish. https://www.arnaudsrestaurant.com/2012/08/recipe-of-the-week-gulf-fish-pontchartrain/
I'm wide open to anything that starts with a fish. I have no qualms fileting them out.

That recipe looks tasty. I'll give it a try if I can find fresh crab.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

y'all recommends have been on point in the past. I've cooked the courtboullion in the OP a couple times and its turned out great. What other recipes do you guys recommend for whole fresh fish? The fish market I frequent typically has whiting, black drum, sheepshead, vermillion snapper, assorted groupers, spanish macks, etc.

I too love just doing courtboullion or something similar to the Redfish Ponchartrain recipe, or just roasting up some filets with butter and citrus. Otherwise... fry.

Not at all cajun/creole but Taiwanese style whole fish is the poo poo. Couple different variations on this. I've made it with sheepshead, grouper, drum, carp and flounder before. Serve up with a pile of rice and some wilted greens.

https://food52.com/recipes/74567-taiwanese-style-whole-fish-with-chilies-and-basil

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

or you could always just copy the dish they did over at Peche and grill a whole fish then smother it in chimichurri

it's not creole but it is, technically, food from new orleans lol

edit: i forget if that dish was chimichurri or salsa verde but both are probably delicious

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Made gumbo again, it had been forever. Shrimp broth from heads tails shells, roux to a light brown, trinity+garlic, sausage, okra, shrimp at the end, cajun seasoning, old bay, filé powder, lemon juice and malt vinegar. Only real non traditional thing I did was finish with chopped culantro herb as well. Feel like it fits with the flavors.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

My crawfish burner finally crapped out. Regulator is leaking and not from the threads. I could get a new regulator but this rig is an old hand me down and I didn't like how tall it was anyway, so I'm glad to replace it.

I'm looking at two options:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0014HKQAM/ref=

Dual Jets, 367,000 BTUs
18 in. diameter cooking surface
12.5 in. tall welded steel frame with hose guard
30-psi adjustable regulator
48-inch Stainless Braided LPG Hose adds safety value from heat down-drafts
Ideal for stockpots up to 14 in. diameter to 80 Qt. to 162 Qt.
Functionally designed for stockpots 15 in. diameter to 122 Qt.

I've seen rigs with the jets like this one bring a 100 quart pot of water to a boil in under 10 minutes, and it's low which I like. But people complain about it being relatively flimsy.

Alternative is something like this.

200,000 BTU High pressure system
High qualitiy cast iron
0-20 PSI CSA adjustable Regulator
47 inch stainless steel hose

Looks pretty sturdy which I want. "Only" 200k BTUs but I'm sure that's like double what I currently have.

Anyone have any experience with either brand or any other suggestions?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

My crawfish burner finally crapped out. Regulator is leaking and not from the threads. I could get a new regulator but this rig is an old hand me down and I didn't like how tall it was anyway, so I'm glad to replace it.

I'm looking at two options:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0014HKQAM/ref=

Dual Jets, 367,000 BTUs
18 in. diameter cooking surface
12.5 in. tall welded steel frame with hose guard
30-psi adjustable regulator
48-inch Stainless Braided LPG Hose adds safety value from heat down-drafts
Ideal for stockpots up to 14 in. diameter to 80 Qt. to 162 Qt.
Functionally designed for stockpots 15 in. diameter to 122 Qt.

I've seen rigs with the jets like this one bring a 100 quart pot of water to a boil in under 10 minutes, and it's low which I like. But people complain about it being relatively flimsy.

Alternative is something like this.

200,000 BTU High pressure system
High qualitiy cast iron
0-20 PSI CSA adjustable Regulator
47 inch stainless steel hose

Looks pretty sturdy which I want. "Only" 200k BTUs but I'm sure that's like double what I currently have.

I only have a single jet Bayou Classic rig. So far so good though, nothing blowing me away about the quality but nothing lacking or overly flimsy or cause for concern, if this one broke eventually I'd probably buy it again. I have done jambalaya on it with a 5g cast iron pot (heavy af) and it was a champ there. Everything else I have used it for has been for brewing and stuff, not cheap to get crawfish to do a boil with in Rhode Island sadly.

Not exactly a direct comparison but the brand I guess has been decent ime.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Jet burners like the first tend to create a single concentrated hotspot that can cause scorching of anything not moving quickly enough past it. The second, spreads the flame out more evenly under the pot avoiding the scorching issue. Generally speaking, in homebrewing, I've had much better luck with the cast iron burners getting things up to temp faster and easier. In a completely non-scientific and massively subjective study, I also found the "banjo" style cast iron burners seemed to use gas more efficiently.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Thanks. I think I’m going to get a new jet for crawfish boils and such, and swap the burner/regulator out of the old frame with a new banjo type burner for things like jambalaya, gumbo, etc.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

eke out posted:

or you could always just copy the dish they did over at Peche and grill a whole fish then smother it in chimichurri

it's not creole but it is, technically, food from new orleans lol

edit: i forget if that dish was chimichurri or salsa verde but both are probably delicious

Salsa verde, I believe, but they change things up pretty regularly at Peche.

I never think to read this subforum, but I'll try to do so when I have more time over the weekend. I've had a side-gig as a food writer in New Orleans since 2007, and I had a food blog before that. I'm no longer as up to date on new restaurants as I used to be, but if anyone has a question about a restaurant or a recipe that I don't know off the top of my head, I'm pretty well set up to do some research.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Instant pot red beans and rice are Good and Easy.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Instant pot red beans and rice are Good and Easy.

That does go right along with the spirit of red beans and rice on laundry day.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Anyone got a good recipe/procedure for instant pot red beans and rice? I'm definitely interested.

Also, I plan on getting smoked pork hocks for flavor, but want additional ham bits for meat. What should I get for that? Ham steak?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I used this one basically:

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I really like this one

I use a little more than an eighth tsp of thyme and tsp of parsley, lol.

From this excellent cookbook:
https://www.amazon.com/Leon-Galatoi...ps%2C182&sr=8-2
I skipped the ham hock and just used 1 qt chicken broth, 1 qt water with some better than bouillon vegetable base, and added a chopped green bell pepper and extra parsley to the broth too. Don't soak the beans, pressure cook for 40 min, let it naturally release for ~20 min? then remove the lid and cook off some of the excess liquid on sautee mode until it's the consistency you like, stirring occasionally so the bottom doesn't scorch. 40 min cooking at pressure might be a bit too long, but I'd always rather have mushy beans than crunchy beans.

The parsley and butter at the end are what really make it. I cook the sausage separate, then slice it and dump it in the beans at the end. Makes the leftovers extra better. I used to put the sliced, uncooked sausage in with the beans to cook but it makes it kind of greasy and makes everything taste like sausage.

You could definitely use cut up ham steak. My grocery store sells little packs of cubed ham for things like that. Might get salty though.

E: I also add a packet of gelatin to the broth if I don't use a hock. I picked that trick up somewhere in GWS and it is fantastic for giving body to soups and stuff if you use store bought broth.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I'm heading to NOLA in a couple weekends with some friends and was wondering about restaurant suggestions. This list was posted here circa 2019, but there was a little pandemic since then and I'm told a couple places may have shut down. Is that list still tried and true, anything worth adding/omitting? We're probably staying in the Garden District, likely Irish Channel if that helps, but more than happy to Uber wherever.

Edit: It's worth adding that all 3 of us are very casual people. Anything that requires a jacket is going to be a hard no.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 12, 2021

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm heading to NOLA in a couple weekends with some friends and was wondering about restaurant suggestions. This list was posted here circa 2019, but there was a little pandemic since then and I'm told a couple places may have shut down. Is that list still tried and true, anything worth adding/omitting? We're probably staying in the Garden District, likely Irish Channel if that helps, but more than happy to Uber wherever.

Edit: It's worth adding that all 3 of us are very casual people. Anything that requires a jacket is going to be a hard no.
Note: I'm a tourist and in no way a local or anything like that.

Best food I ate in New Orleans two years ago was the okra and shrimp at the lunch counter in the back of Hobnobbers on Carondelet. I also recommend Coop's Place for fried chicken and fixings.

Court of the Two Sisters for their Jazz Brunch is amazing. 100 cajun and creole dishes served buffet style in a really neat setting.

Google says all three places are still open.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Couple places I don’t think are on there that are good, casual, in the Irish Channel/GD and/or new:

(E. I’m on my phone so sorry this list isn’t very detailed but if you search these places I think they all have websites/social media so you can see exactly what they have to offer)

Cochon Butcher - smoked meat sandwiches, warehouse district.

Turkey and the Wolf - super laid back, also BBQ focused. Irish Channel

Blue Giant - Chinese-American (noodles, dumplings etc). Irish Channel

Rum House - Good tacos and casual. Magazine Street between the GD and Irish Channel.

Bacchanal - gorgeous casual outdoor/indoor venue with wines, good food and live music. Bywater.

Paladar 511 - Little more upscale but still casual. Very eclectic menu and most everything is delicious. My favorite place at the moment. Bywater/Marigny.

If you like beer, you’re in the right place. A bunch of breweries have opened up in the last 5 years and almost all of them have food.

Courtyard Brewery - best beer I think in the city. Nothing more laid back I can imagine. Different food trucks, check the website to see what’s offered.

Urban South - Brewery on Tchoupitoulas in the IC, tons of beer on tap and all of them are interesting and good.

NOLA - Another brewery up the road from Urban South on Tchoup, kitchen serves excellent BBQ

Port Orleans - Another brewery further uptown on Tchoup. Also has good food on site.

Wrong Iron - beer garden in a cool space with food trucks and live music

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 13, 2021

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Courtyard Brewery - best beer I think in the city. Nothing more laid back I can imagine. Different food trucks, check the website to see what’s offered.

100% agree with this, Scott's easily making the nicest beers in town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

eke out posted:

100% agree with this, Scott's easily making the nicest beers in town

I haven’t been since COVID, did they move to a different spot? Google says they’re on Camp now, but right around the corner so not sure if it’s just an office or something.