Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

BabelFish posted:

Coming back to this to say you were absolutely correct. I don't think I could have done half the dungeon stuff I've tried so far without the added control of the enchanter.

The gameplay on early TLPs that still interests me is dungeon crawling with a enchanter/priest two box. Nothing else really cuts it for dungeons after you're used to the enchanter's toolkit. The EQ designers eventually figured out how to curb their power, but for the level 60 eras your CC is stupidly cheap and effective.

My favorite thing is probably being able to lock down cleric mobs with stuns, which opens up dungeons that people generally avoid because cleric mobs are awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Solarin posted:

The gameplay on early TLPs that still interests me is dungeon crawling with a enchanter/priest two box. Nothing else really cuts it for dungeons after you're used to the enchanter's toolkit. The EQ designers eventually figured out how to curb their power, but for the level 60 eras your CC is stupidly cheap and effective.

My favorite thing is probably being able to lock down cleric mobs with stuns, which opens up dungeons that people generally avoid because cleric mobs are awful.

I’m doing necro this time around as a soloer having a blast. Definitely less strong than my usual enc/clr two box but I’m loving this server rules and planning to play here long time so I feel like necro is the best choice for me.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I did necro/shaman on Selo and had fun with it. I remember feeling disappointed in necro right up until getting Lich and Ebolt then suddenly it felt 10x more fun. Probably gets really good when you get a bunch of clicks that let you do free damage/snares/roots.

Yeah if you plan to raid then not rolling an enchanter is an extremely smart choice. gently caress playing any buffing class on raids. Never again.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Solarin posted:

Yeah if you plan to raid then not rolling an enchanter is an extremely smart choice. gently caress playing any buffing class on raids. Never again.

Can confirm, it's.mosery until Luclin at the earliest. Double gently caress if it's a class that has a short duration - shorter cool down buff.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Clarity and rune plz.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Uhh so there's like 40 people sitting in rathe waiting to turn in j boots and there's a guild here that is instantly killing hasten when he spawns for like ??? trolling reasons I guess?

These people are like 48 years old idgi.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Probably trying to spawn the monk that roams. Still lovely not to leave him up a few minutes for turn ins.

Anyone on Mischief see a decent guild that raids 2-3 nights a week?

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I rerolled on Mischief because the population on Thornblade is... Not great. A buddy of mine has been on Mischief this whole time, I had no idea. After talking with him, it sounds so much more packed than Thornblade. I had been having trouble getting groups in the late 30s on Thornblade because there is only 1 or 2 picks of LGuk or SolB. Apparently Mischief has tons of picks available.

So whatever, I rolled a druid. Never played one before. I am also looking for a guild. I am off work for the next 10 days(had a family vacation planned that got sidelined by covid), so I am going to poopsock hard and try and join a fancy raid guild.

Rallos, will Faceless take a scrub like me into their ranks? :D

My only regret is I had the best name ever for my Wizard on Thornblade. Oh well.

Malaria fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 6, 2021

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
The community on Mischief is pretty toxic unfortunately. Probably the biggest disappointment in an overall enjoyable return to EQ.

Anyone know what the deal is with that Golden Rapiers guy constantly spamming chat? Someone mentioned in chat once something about it being a t-shirt scam where the guy spams invites, sells a bunch of guild merchandise, then bails by the time Luclin comes out.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Yea the population imbalance between the two servers is kinda disappointing, I rolled on Thornblade also because I knew Mischief would probably be a toxic hellhole (and it sounds like it is) so glad im not dealing with that, but on the flipside there's not a huge amount of guild availability so im not sure I'll be able to find a raid guild that wants a wizard, which is what I want to play this time around.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Indecisive posted:

Yea the population imbalance between the two servers is kinda disappointing, I rolled on Thornblade also because I knew Mischief would probably be a toxic hellhole (and it sounds like it is) so glad im not dealing with that, but on the flipside there's not a huge amount of guild availability so im not sure I'll be able to find a raid guild that wants a wizard, which is what I want to play this time around.

You are basically me. I rolled a wizard, nobody wants to group, and there's barely anyone to play with. Come to Mischief. Add me. I rolled a Druid named Chungus. We can probably scrape by.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Malaria posted:

You are basically me. I rolled a wizard, nobody wants to group, and there's barely anyone to play with. Come to Mischief. Add me. I rolled a Druid named Chungus. We can probably scrape by.

If you’re wanting to find groups Druid probably isn’t the route you want to go. I love the class, just hit 28, but it’s an uphill battle. Outdoors groups are actually pretty good if you’re comfortable wrangling a charm pet, but the stigma around Druids is almost as bad as the one around Wizzys.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Is there a bad stigma for wizards? I know from mangler that people only take rangers for group if they're desperate but wizards at least got to do aoe groups (later on). i suppose speaking of it tho, i didnt see many wiz in my groups at any point

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Wizards are tough early on because mana regen is trash on them and they can pull decent dps numbers until said mana runs out. Melee have similar dps numbers, but don’t have the downtime issues that casters run into.

Monks are just broken and that’s why no one else can have nice things.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
You can guess which class all the biggest assholes on Mischief play. They’re all crammed into South Karana pestering Druids to track stuff for them and throwing a fit when they don’t get High Shamans.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Make sure you go into options and unselect 'auto join public chat channels' or somesuch. General chat is pretty disgusting for the first several months of a TLP. The class and continent specific channels are usually less horrible, you can always set those up to /autojoin if you want some kind of global chat.

I think Wizards are mostly seen as a raid class. Finding a raid spot as a wizard should be relatively easy. Groups will be tough. If I was maining wizard I'd probably box something like a cleric, bard or enchanter and start up my own groups.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I hooked up with the EU guild - Lemmings - and it's been pretty rad. Tons of helpful people around. It turns out that bertoxxulous necromancers are pretty much not kos anywhere in qeynos or Freeport. I've been posing in the paladin guilds around norrath!

Just hit level 10 and ported to Freeport. If anyone wants to group message me, I'm playing as Buelias

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

BGrifter posted:

If you’re wanting to find groups Druid probably isn’t the route you want to go. I love the class, just hit 28, but it’s an uphill battle. Outdoors groups are actually pretty good if you’re comfortable wrangling a charm pet, but the stigma around Druids is almost as bad as the one around Wizzys.

My issue with groups on thornblade isn't that people didn't want me, it's that there literally aren't enough people to group with. From what I can tell the population on Thornblade is drastically lower than Mischief. I wouldn't be shocked if they merge the two servers before too long.

I doing druid just because it's about the only class I haven't played. I'll roll a alt at some point too.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Digging back a bit into the thread but what numeric keypads are those?

Thinking of picking up one or two keypads to help play around with true boxing alts. If anyone has any recommendations I’d love to hear them. I suppose any cheap $10 membrane junk would do, but if I could get something mechanical with RGB backlights it’d be fun.

I’ll keep trucking along with just the Druid till I hit the cap in Kunark. But there’s a lull between level 60 and AAs in Luclin that seems like a great time to muck around with alts or figuring out a boxing setup.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

current status of the hasten camp on Thornblade

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

ive been here like 15 mins and people are already doing conspiracy theories that the PH is charmed or hasten is bugged etc lol

apparently someone's been here 4 hours now

seems like a lot more rings in the circulation tho than on a normal server, pretty natural

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
If there’s 50 people in the zone why don’t they just /pick to a fresh instance and do the turn in?

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

BGrifter posted:

Digging back a bit into the thread but what numeric keypads are those?

Thinking of picking up one or two keypads to help play around with true boxing alts. If anyone has any recommendations I’d love to hear them. I suppose any cheap $10 membrane junk would do, but if I could get something mechanical with RGB backlights it’d be fun.

I’ll keep trucking along with just the Druid till I hit the cap in Kunark. But there’s a lull between level 60 and AAs in Luclin that seems like a great time to muck around with alts or figuring out a boxing setup.
They're Motospeed k24s, as far as I can tell they're the only mechanical RGB numberpad on the market. I bought mine off amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/MOTOSPEED-Mechanical-Portable-Backlight-Extended/dp/B0854L5XGT/

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

BabelFish posted:

They're Motospeed k24s, as far as I can tell they're the only mechanical RGB numberpad on the market. I bought mine off amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/MOTOSPEED-Mechanical-Portable-Backlight-Extended/dp/B0854L5XGT/

Looked at that exact one yesterday so thanks for the tip! Everything else I was finding was enthusiast level stuff for $80+ and I don’t think that’s necessary for what I’m looking to do.

Lots of build it yourself kits for mechanical numeric keypads for some reason. I’ve never used a soldering iron before and it seems like a lot of hassle for a keypad.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

BGrifter posted:

If there’s 50 people in the zone why don’t they just /pick to a fresh instance and do the turn in?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

trip report he spawned its over nobody killed him + everybody got the boots and we all lived happily ever after

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

I just don’t get the whole /pick thing at all then. Managed to hop into one in Befallen for an hour last night when the zone got up to 21 people, but a zone with 59 doesn’t get a second pick?

Feels like the thresholds for pick zones are set so high as to be nearly worthless.

Edit: Yay for happy endings and JBoots for all!

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

BGrifter posted:

I just don’t get the whole /pick thing at all then. Managed to hop into one in Befallen for an hour last night when the zone got up to 21 people, but a zone with 59 doesn’t get a second pick?

Feels like the thresholds for pick zones are set so high as to be nearly worthless.

Edit: Yay for happy endings and JBoots for all!

it's set individually for different zones, I dunno if anyone knows the exact science of it but yea some smaller zones will do it at like 20, larger zones much higher. presumably they dont wanna make it easy to have extra picks for this zone in particular since its a big plat farming zone with all the hill giants

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Indecisive posted:

it's set individually for different zones, I dunno if anyone knows the exact science of it but yea some smaller zones will do it at like 20, larger zones much higher. presumably they dont wanna make it easy to have extra picks for this zone in particular since its a big plat farming zone with all the hill giants

The largest zones I know of were around 50 to spawn a pick. Several zones are flagged to never spawn a pick, however, and if the base zone ever drops below the pick minimum threshold, the other pick zones get automatic closing messages.

Rathe Mountains is a home zone for Frogloks, so it’ll never get picks.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
gfay was getting picks on Mischief day 1, isn't that a home zone

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
I hate to ask but is there anybody still playing on test that might be able to send a pp care package to Taedreil?

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

koreban posted:

The largest zones I know of were around 50 to spawn a pick. Several zones are flagged to never spawn a pick, however, and if the base zone ever drops below the pick minimum threshold, the other pick zones get automatic closing messages.

Rathe Mountains is a home zone for Frogloks, so it’ll never get picks.

My favorite thing is when people say things that are incorrect so confidently.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
We used to end raids during Kunark by force-pick spawning frontier mountains so we could get people their chardok faction rings. It required the entire raid and counted as dkp, because if you had less than a full raid it was not always possible.

We also did the same in warslik woods for another turnin step. Picks are hilarious if you can abuse them like that, wouldn’t surprise me if they noticed that and fixed it post mangler since yeah we hd a good dozen people skip the bullshit of those two spawns.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
We do it now during TSS for Oblivion in Sunderrock Springs. It takes something like 35 people to force the pick to spawn.

Relic used to not spawn Porthio in picks, and had no AoC, which was how we camped 70+ people in the zone for a couple of days to ensure that all the guilds on Phinigel had a chance to progress in PoR. It was changed a few weeks later.

I could definitely be wrong about Rathe Mountains not having picks, but I’ve seen 55+ people in zone and no picks available, and I know of no other zones with that sort of threshold to open a pick.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
On the bright side Hasten has been up several times today and I’ve shouted him a few times to no response. Guessing the price of JBoots should collapse closer to the Ring at 300pp or less.

Been a fun few days on Mischief. I camped my Paw of Opolla which went reasonably well I suppose. Took about eight hours to get the ring in Befallen. Got pushed out a few times but it wasn’t too bad. Then I got pretty lucky and got the fungus for the bronze and gold rings out of Guk in a couple hours. A quick trip to Blackburrow and my Paw was complete!

Now I’m sitting at 30 Druid watching auction chat for cheap Vermy Bracers and a Mammoth Hide Cloak. :3:

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

koreban posted:

We do it now during TSS for Oblivion in Sunderrock Springs. It takes something like 35 people to force the pick to spawn.

Relic used to not spawn Porthio in picks, and had no AoC, which was how we camped 70+ people in the zone for a couple of days to ensure that all the guilds on Phinigel had a chance to progress in PoR. It was changed a few weeks later.

I could definitely be wrong about Rathe Mountains not having picks, but I’ve seen 55+ people in zone and no picks available, and I know of no other zones with that sort of threshold to open a pick.

Some zones just have crazy high population requirements for spawning picks.

On Selo a guild paladin was going crazy trying to get the Lich to spawn in Everfrost. I think the eventual solution was for someone to start advertising 'GM event in Everfrost' at the same time LDON launched.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kalas posted:

Some zones just have crazy high population requirements for spawning picks.

On Selo a guild paladin was going crazy trying to get the Lich to spawn in Everfrost. I think the eventual solution was for someone to start advertising 'GM event in Everfrost' at the same time LDON launched.

In 2017 they changed pick thresholds downwards and had some sort of basis in the number of mobs/camps a zone could sustain. Splitpaw is like 18-20, sunderrock, a zone 8 times larger with several distinctive camp areas, is 35.

Several zones are reinforced and capable of (essentially) unlimited population without spawning picks. Plane of Knowledge being the most notable.

Zones with super high pick thresholds were like Lavastorm Mountains, and that one was like 100+ people, only seen for the hour prior to DoN launch when everyone was waiting for the new zone to open.

There’s no similar expansion opening event that I’m aware of that starts in Rathe Mountains. And if the pick threshold is 100+ people, it’s effectively got no realistic pick options.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

onesixtwo posted:

We used to end raids during Kunark by force-pick spawning frontier mountains so we could get people their chardok faction rings. It required the entire raid and counted as dkp, because if you had less than a full raid it was not always possible.

We also did the same in warslik woods for another turnin step. Picks are hilarious if you can abuse them like that, wouldn’t surprise me if they noticed that and fixed it post mangler since yeah we hd a good dozen people skip the bullshit of those two spawns.

My guild did the same to get the quest ring mobs to spawn - but we ended up stopping doing it as other people noticed our schedule/pattern and started racing for the spawn.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
At what point does additional extended targets get added to TLPs? My enchanter could really use more than 5 targets when mezzing bigger pulls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

BabelFish posted:

At what point does additional extended targets get added to TLPs? My enchanter could really use more than 5 targets when mezzing bigger pulls.

Underfoot is when Eyes Wide Open AA unlocks.