Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have a business Ink with sign up incentives that expire this month. The spending didn’t materialize over the period but I believe it will next month.

Has anyone ever gotten the sign up incentives extended from Chase? I haven’t charged anything to it, with exception of paying my $95.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Mat Cauthon posted:

Well it took some doing but we got approved with no issue. AODFCU seems like a pretty nice little financial outfit, so we might even be able to put that membership to good use for some other services we'll have a need of in the near future.

Appreciate all the help!

I've been considering AODFCU but that flat 3% (plus no fees) honestly seemed too good to be true. Should I got for it as well? How was the application process?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

New 2% back card coming July 1 from Wells Fargo:

https://creditcards.wellsfargo.com/active-cash-view-details/

No AF, but a 3% foreign currency conversion fee. $200 signup bonus if you spend $1,000.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
That doesn't seem any better than any other card plus it's wells Fargo that I hate.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

With the foreign currency conversion fee, it would definitely need some good benefits to be a compelling pick over the alternatives.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
im starting to really like the sofi card with points (GEMS???) redeemed as investments in their investing portal. seems like so good. always be investing and this does it automatically pretty much. seems really cool to me.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Hed posted:

I have a business Ink with sign up incentives that expire this month. The spending didn’t materialize over the period but I believe it will next month.

Has anyone ever gotten the sign up incentives extended from Chase? I haven’t charged anything to it, with exception of paying my $95.

Not Chase, but Citi told me to pound sand when I missed the sign-up bonus by like $20 (out of $3000). I miscalculated some charges and realized a few days too late that I messed up, and I missed out on something like 60k AA miles. I called a few times, tried to escalate it, even tried crying over the phone but nothing worked.

Then the pandemic hit and our planned trip to Hawaii fell through and that made the lost miles hurt a little less. Still hurts, though.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Good reminder for everyone to try to overspend on a signup bonus by at least $100 if you can help it, or higher if you think you might have to refund something more than $100 (many banks are very happy to claw that bonus back).

Also a reminder to not include any annual fees etc. in the calculation.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I have an AMEX plat and I'm looking to rent a car.

The card includes Avis Preferred Plus which I already signed up for.

If I quote the rental through AMEX's travel website, I get prices anywhere from 8-15% more expensive than if I quote it through Avis directly.

In theory the card's coverage is exactly the same as long as I use it to pay the rental and decline Avis' insurance, right?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

In theory the card's coverage is exactly the same as long as I use it to pay the rental and decline Avis' insurance, right?

Yes. I usually book through Avis's website using the discount/upgrade code.

Rental cars are totally hosed right now though no matter what code/card.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

FunOne posted:

Yes. I usually book through Avis's website using the discount/upgrade code.

Rental cars are totally hosed right now though no matter what code/card.

Yeah, speaking of which, it seems my cheapest option (by far) is to rent through Costco's travel platform.

Does anyone know if Amex's insurance will still cover cars rented through costco?

I'm guessing the make or break difference is whether I'm paying the rental company directly or if I'm paying costco who's in turn paying the rental company.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Yeah, speaking of which, it seems my cheapest option (by far) is to rent through Costco's travel platform.

Does anyone know if Amex's insurance will still cover cars rented through costco?

I'm guessing the make or break difference is whether I'm paying the rental company directly or if I'm paying costco who's in turn paying the rental company.

From what I remember, you just book through Costco and then you actually pay the rental company when you go to pickup. Amex has primary insurance on the vehicle providing you opt in for one of their tiered rate (something like $25 or $18 per entire rental period). Opting in on the website prior is a must though along with declining the offered insurance.

Interestingly enough with Amex, I recently acquired the platinum and gold within a few months of each other. I’ve put roughly around $7K spend on the platinum and $2.5K on the gold. Using the “Check Spending Power” feature, I found I was approved for a $25K purchase for the gold but not platinum. I figured it would be the other way around. Platinum allowed me a $20K purchase.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

According to DoC, Citi's got a new card:

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/citi-custom-cash-credit-card

Signup bonus: "Earn $200 in cash back after you spend $750 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

5% cash back on grocery stores, excellent, I'm in.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Shear Modulus posted:

5% cash back on grocery stores, excellent, I'm in.

Same. Big old middle finger to Amex right there.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Just beware that it has a $500 cap per billing cycle, and literally everything else is 1%, so use something else for everything that isn't the category you pick.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Unsinkabear posted:

Same. Big old middle finger to Amex right there.

So long as you're getting at least 1.25 cents per point (which you really should be!), you're still getting 5% with the Gold card. But if someone doesn't want to have an Amex for grocery this is an okay card. Also that 5% is only up to the first $500 spent in a month, so $6000 per year, versus the $6000 per year on the Blue Cash Preferred (6%) or the $25000 per year with the Gold. After annual fee, it would work out better for the Citi versus the BCP, but the BCP also has 3% on gas, transit, 6% on streaming.
In my use case, I think I would use this for gas stations rather than the other categories.
edit: for some reason thought it was per quarter and not per month, so I fixed this post.

im on the net me boys fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 11, 2021

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

astral posted:

Signup bonus: "Earn $200 in cash back after you spend $750 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening"

Billing cycle is per month I'm assuming? So $6000 spend per year, 5% cash back?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I still have months remaining on my Chase Freedom Flex (5% UR on groceries for the first 12 months x 1.5 CSR redemption rate = 7.5% cash back, and literally cash back because of Pay Yourself Back), and I still have a grandfathered PenFed cash rewards card that gives me 5% back on gas. I have US Bank Cash Rewards Plus for 5% on streaming/cell/etc., so I'm actually having issues finding a consistent use case for this card. Drugstores, home improvement, and travel are inconsistent purchases, and fitness clubs or live entertainment won't be $500 spend a month.

This is a pretty good single use entry level card, but it's definitely not a much get for everyone.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I hosed up my auto pay settings and missed due date by one day on my Amex. I managed to get the late fee waived but they’re not budging on the interest.

Is this worth threatening to cancel over or is getting interest charges waived normally difficult?

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
How much interest can that possibly be?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Not enough to actually cancel but enough to spend some time on chat or on the phone trying to get it back.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

If it was your error and not the bank's, I wouldn't push it. You asked, they said no; it's an amicable resolution. Pay it off, use a different card for the next month, and switch back the following cycle.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Am I missing something with this Amex "Pay Over Time" thing? It just sounds like a credit card? They're really pushing it and offering 20k points for activating it though so I feel like I'm missing something.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Chaotic Flame posted:

Am I missing something with this Amex "Pay Over Time" thing? It just sounds like a credit card? They're really pushing it and offering 20k points for activating it though so I feel like I'm missing something.

You get free points and never have to use it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

astral posted:

Looks like a winner. Lots of categories, too, which is nice (so long as you're playing the game correctly and only using it on one particular category for no more than $500 per month).

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Chaotic Flame posted:

Isn’t it mainly a feature on their charge cards? So yes it makes them more like credit cards.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Apparently I was already signed up for Pay Over Time despite me having no memory of doing so.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...dYMzpAjt5FR-ioe

This link says you can unenroll and maybe get the targeted offer anyway, so FYI.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Apparently I was already signed up for Pay Over Time despite me having no memory of doing so.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...dYMzpAjt5FR-ioe

This link says you can unenroll and maybe get the targeted offer anyway, so FYI.

At some point they enabled it by default for new cards I think. I had to unenroll as well.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

does anyone know if two adults sharing a prime family account can both apply for the chase visa they are promoting and both can receive the gift card bonus?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
The terms mention that if more than one person applies from the same account and is approved, the last card will be the one to receive 5% rewards, so it apparently it's possible. My reading is that whoever gets a credit card also gets a gift card, without further limitation.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know if the AMEX plat Uber credits need to be linked to an account under my name? I barely ever use Uber but my wife does so it’d make more sense to just have those in her account.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone know if the AMEX plat Uber credits need to be linked to an account under my name? I barely ever use Uber but my wife does so it’d make more sense to just have those in her account.

AFAIK, it doesn’t matter if it’s under your name. I don’t know if having the card linked to two Uber accounts at the same time would be a red flag though. I would suggest just linking your card only to her account if you rarely use Uber.

On another note, I’m charging about $2600/month in rent via PPK on my CSR for UR ($3.00 debit fee, yay!). Is that my best use for that ‘required’ spend or would a different card (not including SUB use) be a better fit for it? I don’t see any cards that have anything where rent would fall under a multiplier category or if it would even code that way using PPK.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

It doesn’t matter. My Amex is under my legal name (of course) and my Uber is under the name I actually use. No problems with it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Allegedly, that new Citi Custom Cash card has a higher signup bonus offer in branch ($300 back on $1k spend instead of $200 back on $750). Offer ends in like 4-5 days.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

astral posted:

Allegedly, that new Citi Custom Cash card has a higher signup bonus offer in branch ($300 back on $1k spend instead of $200 back on $750). Offer ends in like 4-5 days.

good lord man this card is insane

astral
Apr 26, 2004

If anyone's thinking of using it for the Restaurants category, be aware that it excludes a lot, like bakeries and third-party delivery services:

custom cash category description page posted:

Restaurants
Includes purchases at cafes, bars, lounges and fast food restaurants. Excludes purchases at bakeries, caterers, restaurants located inside another business (such as hotels, stores, stadiums, grocery stores, or warehouse clubs) and third party dining delivery services.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

astral posted:

Probably going to sign up for this card and get a separate account for both me and my wife and then cancel the amex card to avoid the AF. Is there a ref bonus link I can add to my sheet for this and use for myself?

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

Gazpacho posted:

The terms mention that if more than one person applies from the same account and is approved, the last card will be the one to receive 5% rewards, so it apparently it's possible. My reading is that whoever gets a credit card also gets a gift card, without further limitation.

cool thanks, we'll give a shot and see how it goes!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

literally this big posted:

I've been considering AODFCU but that flat 3% (plus no fees) honestly seemed too good to be true. Should I got for it as well? How was the application process?

It was much easier than I expected. I thought they might ask some questions about my new bike club membership or whatever but it was pretty smooth and painless. It took as long as it did because I got sidetracked with other life/work stuff and couldn't find the time to get all my documents in order.

Depending on what services you request you might have to do some back and forth through email to provide paperwork, but that's about it. Definitely recommend going for it if you just need a solid rewards card for various household things.