Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

this song is pretty goofy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWTOS2HLP7w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Blue Labrador posted:

This might be kind of vague, but can someone offer me some modern bands (2010 at earliest) to check out that are Megadeth-esque? I just want some modern bands that have awesome riffing, but also aren't afraid to be goofy and campy in their presentation. I want some more music that helps pump the blood and raise the endorphins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DLe41snVEY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcajYaUduSY

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Beffica posted:

Looking for more stuff like The Presidents of the United States of America's first few albums before they broke up, reformed and went pop punk. Also looking for more stuff like Ween, Butthole Surfers, Frank Zappa and The Residents. Craving weird funny rocky stuff.

Green Jelly
Crash Test Dummies
Primus

So this might be sort of a stretch, but some early Clutch is pretty silly when you stop and listen to the lyrics. The music is pretty straightforward heavy stoner rock, but the lyrics on their albums Jam Room and Elephant riders are pretty goofy on every song. My favorite silly songs of theirs are Gnome Enthusiast, The Yeti, and Green Buckets. Their self-titled album and Pure Rock Fury have some funny songs in there as well.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 26, 2021

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Beffica posted:

Looking for more stuff like The Presidents of the United States of America's first few albums before they broke up, reformed and went pop punk. Also looking for more stuff like Ween, Butthole Surfers, Frank Zappa and The Residents. Craving weird funny rocky stuff.

Mojo Nixon might be up your alley as well; I found him through this song from one of the old SA CD swaps. (Well, that and Don Henley Must Die)

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Beffica posted:

my Zappa- and Ween-loving coworker also likes 10cc a lot and they all make me equally angry, so try them

if you want outrageously offensive stuff, listen to The Frogs

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Beffica posted:

This might just be because I'm a huge Phish fan, but I feel you'd really enjoy the Gamehendge shows or the Halloween gag shows.

I always say "Phish is a band that has a joke and the audience is in on it and everyone's laughing together. Ween is a band that has a joke and the audience thinks they are in on it but they're not, and the band is laughing at them"

I say this as a MASSIVE fan of both bands.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Kvlt! posted:

This might just be because I'm a huge Phish fan, but I feel you'd really enjoy the Gamehendge shows or the Halloween gag shows.

I always say "Phish is a band that has a joke and the audience is in on it and everyone's laughing together. Ween is a band that has a joke and the audience thinks they are in on it but they're not, and the band is laughing at them"

I say this as a MASSIVE fan of both bands.

That’s the best description I’ve heard of ween yet.

It also brings to mind Keller Williams, to whom everything seems to be a joke and he just likes to have an audience while he tells jokes to himself.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

That’s the best description I’ve heard of ween yet.

It also brings to mind Keller Williams, to whom everything seems to be a joke and he just likes to have an audience while he tells jokes to himself.

Is that what he’s doing? I thought he was making the worst music humanly possible.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Kvlt! posted:

I always say "Phish is a band that has a joke and the audience is in on it and everyone's laughing together.

What's the joke? That they're playing the blandest, whitest music possible on purpose? Phish and Steely Dan are the two bands I completely cannot comprehend, and if they turn out to have ironic lameness in common I don't know what I'll do. Face God and walk backwards into hell I guess.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

prayer group posted:

What's the joke? That they're playing the blandest, whitest music possible on purpose? Phish and Steely Dan are the two bands I completely cannot comprehend, and if they turn out to have ironic lameness in common I don't know what I'll do. Face God and walk backwards into hell I guess.

The joke has to be this post otherwise I just feel bad for you. Do I really need to say "Let people enjoy things" in current year?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

prayer group posted:

They used to play part of the simpsons song randomly and the audience would say Doh! That’s pretty much the joke but they haven’t done that since 93. (Listening to 7/21/97 atm, full disclosure)

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Lol that people still think their dislike of a band matters

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BigFactory posted:

Since a lot of his recording was in the 30s and 40s, he’s kinda one of those guys like Lionel Hampton, Artie Shaw, Duke Ellington (if he stopped recording in the 50s), where the bulk of their output is compilations and a lot of it was on labels that don’t exist anymore so it’s been re-compiled posthumously. Just looking through the discography though, there’s a trio album with Lionel Hampton and Buddy Rich that might be worth trying to track down. I want to hear that myself so I’ll let you know if I can find it.
Just to follow up on this, your point about compilations sent me towards The Complete Pablo Group Masterpieces, which is expensive but tooootally worth it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Pretty specific, but I love the dreamy surfer rock guitar in the middle part of Radiohead - Bodysnatchers. Anything else like that? Is that a desert rock sound? I'm not really familiar with that particular genre.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

regulargonzalez posted:

Pretty specific, but I love the dreamy surfer rock guitar in the middle part of Radiohead - Bodysnatchers. Anything else like that? Is that a desert rock sound? I'm not really familiar with that particular genre.

Frankly, I don't think you deserve a response to a request for something that sounds like one instrument of one part of one song, but it reminds me a little of some parts of some Flying Saucer Attack songs, so there you go, hope you like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wnE0p6YVNs

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

Wilbur Swain posted:

Frankly, I don't think you deserve a response to a request for something that sounds like one instrument of one part of one song
drat, Mr. Swain really laying down the law in this here NMD recommendation thread, go get 'em tiger :blastu:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Wilbur Swain posted:

Frankly, I don't think you deserve a response to a request for something that sounds like one instrument of one part of one song, but it reminds me a little of some parts of some Flying Saucer Attack songs, so there you go, hope you like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wnE0p6YVNs

Thanks for the recommendation. It's an interesting song but I probably wasn't precise. The song you linked does have a guitar that sounds like Bodysnatchers, but it sounds like the fuzzy, distorted first that's in most of Bodysnatchers and I was hoping for something more like the bit from about 2:08 - 2:50.

Interestingly, the intro portion of your song is close to that sound.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

regulargonzalez posted:

Thanks for the recommendation. It's an interesting song but I probably wasn't precise. The song you linked does have a guitar that sounds like Bodysnatchers, but it sounds like the fuzzy, distorted first that's in most of Bodysnatchers and I was hoping for something more like the bit from about 2:08 - 2:50.

My first thought was The Cure when I heard that guitar sound [about 25 seconds in].

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDKoVDy0oq8

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 10, 2021

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I've been re-listening to Blood Lust and Mind Control by Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats and it's really scratching an itch I've been having. Can someone recommend me any cool 70s metal/Doom-y inspired stuff from the past couple years? I'd really appreciate expanding my knowledge of this genre.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Blue Labrador posted:

I've been re-listening to Blood Lust and Mind Control by Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats and it's really scratching an itch I've been having. Can someone recommend me any cool 70s metal/Doom-y inspired stuff from the past couple years? I'd really appreciate expanding my knowledge of this genre.

Take into account that I don't like this style very much, but some popular ones are Jess and the Ancient Ones, Jex Thoth and of course Ghost.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Blue Labrador posted:

Early Witchcraft, go as far as the album Legend, where it got real polished. I like Legend but some don’t because of that.

Orchid. Capricorn is my favorite album. It’s the most blatant Sabbath worship out there so don’t expect revolutionary but it’s good.

Dead Meadow might work for you. Not deeply familiar with their discography but it’s got a similar scuzzy seventies vibe.

Graveyard. Hisingen Blues and Peace are the albums you want.

Can someone help me find some really good psych soul stuff? Just got into Kelly Finnigan/Monophonics,dug back into old Curtis Mayfield,and am digging also on Curtis Harding. Genre bending, spacey, trippy, progressive soul-style stuff is what I’m after. Long jam sessions fine, but not preferred. It’s more about the vibe than the jamming for me. And if y’all haven’t heard the album It’s Only Us by Monophonics, and even vaguely like soul music, correct that. It’s amazing. Alongside these comparisons, I also really like The Slow Rush by Tame Impala which is in no way soul, but still has some stylistic similarities. It’s very self-indulgently retro.

e: aw poo poo last couple years haven’t been keeping up with the latest. Still those are good if you don’t know them.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 10, 2021

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

regulargonzalez posted:

gently caress that other guy, and yes, that sound is present in some of the best desert rock. Specifically, it's a lot like Gary Arce's guitar tone in a lot of Yawning Man's stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFjHZA1Oo7A

He gets pretty fuzzy at times, but he does the lingering expansive wandering sound a lot.

See also his work with Yawning Sons. Pretty similar to Yawning Man but generally less fuzzy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e1DJIcEO7o

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

hello i'd like some music that sounds like the first 33 seconds of Sodom - Outbreak of Evil but not any of the parts of the song after that

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Blue Labrador posted:

You've heard The Sword, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9KbmRTgigQ

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Blue Labrador posted:

Not doomy, but Kamchatka has a very 70s heavy riff thing going on. Real fuzzy and crunchy power rock.
Also: Dozer, Jack Harlon and the Dead Crows

You know what, just come on over to the stoner/doom/sludge thread and hang out.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 14, 2021

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Blue Labrador posted:

baroness, later period mastodon, pallbearer, windhand, red fang

incidentally i listened to mind control to refresh my memory of what specific stuff you were looking for and it reminded me of the fact that so few sabbath worship bands actually bother to learn how to do the jazzy stuff that makes sabbath really stand out

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

baroness, later period mastodon, pallbearer, windhand, red fang

I like Uncle Acid, Mastodon, and Red Fang, but Mastodon and Red Fang are nothing like Uncle Acid.

I haven't found much like Uncle Acid myself, but it's been one I wanted more of. The closest I have in my collection is probably Opeth. They are a metal band, however they'll still use the organ/theremin sounding instruments too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6Orsfxdp5s

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Here's a needlessly vague request: I'm looking for music in spanish that makes me feel something. I already have a pretty hefty playlist that's an unholy amalgamation of oldies, Nueva Canción protest songs, old telenovela soundtracks, stuff my parents listened to and dumb meme songs, but I'm particularly lacking in modern stuff (as in, last 10-15 years), and a lot of what's in there is mostly due to general nostalgia rather than the lyrics actually connecting with me.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

SexyBlindfold posted:

Here's a needlessly vague request: I'm looking for music in spanish that makes me feel something. I already have a pretty hefty playlist that's an unholy amalgamation of oldies, Nueva Canción protest songs, old telenovela soundtracks, stuff my parents listened to and dumb meme songs, but I'm particularly lacking in modern stuff (as in, last 10-15 years), and a lot of what's in there is mostly due to general nostalgia rather than the lyrics actually connecting with me.

Here's a stab in the dark solely because they're speaking Spanish: Meridian Brothers - ¿Dónde Estás María

I only know of them thanks to binge watching a lot of Amoeba Record's What's in my Bag YouTube shows. No idea what the lyrics mean either but I like the rhythms so...?

edit: have some more albums of theirs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsdUmpjsYyY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdFLylSTms

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 16, 2021

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

SexyBlindfold posted:

im a big fan of el guincho's 2010 album Pop Negro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0owC49iIen8

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

A human heart posted:

hello i'd like some music that sounds like the first 33 seconds of Sodom - Outbreak of Evil but not any of the parts of the song after that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TztqYaemt0

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Looking to fill out my playlist.

70s songs about going somewhere or being somewhere warm on a beach, electric pianos and jangly guitar encouraged.

So far I have:
Escape (Piña colada song)
Margaritaville
Daniel - Elton John

So not really "yacht rock", Sailing sounds too studio and not really "bright" enough. It would be easy to turn to reggae, although I'm not looking to build a reggae list - "Dreadlock Holiday" did cross my mind though, as it's about travel to Jamaica and that foreignness in a new place is something I'm trying to get in the playlist.

This isn't really my normal kind of music, so I'm short on ideas.

Feel like there are some steps that could transition the playlist through to Horse With No Name and Hotel California - would really appreciate any suggestions!

E: some further info:
Kokomo is too 80s (but would go well with Smooth Operator, Isla Bonita, and Duran Duran's Rio).
Ain't No Sunshine is too much strings
Mungo Jerry's In The Summertime is a song very dear to me but a bit too energetic and not laid back enough

simplefish fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 17, 2021

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

It's a park instead of a beach but I feel like Chicago - Saturday in the Park has the right vibe

Christopher Cross - Sailing is probably too drowsy?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

you say you’re not looking for yacht rock but you’ve described yacht rock

does ride like the wind by christopher cross scratch the itch? what about steal away by robbie dupree? two tickets to paradise?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

simplefish posted:

70s songs about going somewhere or being somewhere warm on a beach, electric pianos and jangly guitar encouraged.

So far I have:
Escape (Piña colada song)
Margaritaville
Daniel - Elton John

So not really "yacht rock", Sailing sounds too studio and not really "bright" enough. It would be easy to turn to reggae, although I'm not looking to build a reggae list - "Dreadlock Holiday" did cross my mind though, as it's about travel to Jamaica and that foreignness in a new place is something I'm trying to get in the playlist.

This isn't really my normal kind of music, so I'm short on ideas.

Feel like there are some steps that could transition the playlist through to Horse With No Name and Hotel California - would really appreciate any suggestions!

E: some further info:
Kokomo is too 80s (but would go well with Smooth Operator, Isla Bonita, and Duran Duran's Rio).
Ain't No Sunshine is too much strings
Mungo Jerry's In The Summertime is a song very dear to me but a bit too energetic and not laid back enough

Maybe this? It has the easy breezy feel, and talks about sailing on the oceans, but also about mountains so that's a bonus.

Harry Nilson - Mucho Mungo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwzvZUAiBiM

[removing Wooden Ships because hindsight]

me your dad fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 17, 2021

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
a song about boats in a post-apocalyptic world fits the technical definition of yacht rock so perfectly that I'm actually impressed.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

simplefish posted:

<Snip>

What about Brandy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVx8L7a3MuE

Edit: Also, these are both 60s, but what about
Under the boardwalk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPEqRMVnZNU

Or Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTVjnBo96Ug

marjorie fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 17, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
There’s a station around here that plays crap like that (lovingly). In regular rotation are songs like:

Rickie Lee Jones - Chuck E’s In Love
Boz Scaggs — anything off Silk Degrees but We’re all alone or Harborlights might fit the bill best. Or Lido Shuffle if you really want to get crazy.
Steely Dan - I think they play Hey 19 a lot.
That song that goes “gonna lay around the shanty mama and get a good buzz on”
Rich Girl
Watching the Detectives

Just don’t try fooling yourself that your playlist is somehow not yacht rock.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BigFactory posted:

There’s a station around here that plays crap like that (lovingly). In regular rotation are songs like:

Rickie Lee Jones - Chuck E’s In Love
Boz Scaggs — anything off Silk Degrees but We’re all alone or Harborlights might fit the bill best. Or Lido Shuffle if you really want to get crazy.
Steely Dan - I think they play Hey 19 a lot.
That song that goes “gonna lay around the shanty mama and get a good buzz on”
Rich Girl
Watching the Detectives

Just don’t try fooling yourself that your playlist is somehow not yacht rock.

Schooner Rock, and you'll do well to remember it!

Anyone know where to start with Waylon Jennings?

Also are any of Dave "Oderus Ungurus" Brockie's side projects any good?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Anyone know where to start with Waylon Jennings?
Honky Tonk Heroes, it's like half-written by Billy Joe Shaver so if you already know any of his work you'll know a few songs and if you don't and like it he's another thread to follow (Old Five and Dimers Like Me, I'm Just an Old Chunk of Coal).

(Also just feel free to like shuffle some best-ofs, just because of the way country music got published and released for a long time even artists who did make albums worth spinning in full also had plenty of great stuff that didn't wind up on an album that was otherwise noteworthy.)