Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

feels to me like putting it out of everyone’s misery, including its own is the tough-but-correct choice here

e: update here

SatansOnion fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

SatansOnion posted:

feels to me like putting it out of everyone’s misery, including its own is the tough-but-correct choice here

I bet it explodes acid or mutagens or something else gross though. But yeah, euthanase the poor sod.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Euthanize the deer.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Yeah, kill it.

Gats Akimbo posted:

I bet it explodes acid or mutagens or something else gross though. But yeah, euthanase the poor sod.

We're going to regret not having a bow, aren't we.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Black Robe posted:

We're going to regret not having a bow, aren't we.
We have a crossbow. We haven't had an opportunity to use it yet, but we've had it since the start of this adventure.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Gats Akimbo posted:

pop the pinata

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Cry Havoc posted:

pop the pinata

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Tiggum posted:

We have a crossbow. We haven't had an opportunity to use it yet, but we've had it since the start of this adventure.

Then, it's time to use it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Traitor's Reward posted:

Disgusted by the sight, you nod grimly and put an end to the tortured creature's existence with a sharp blow. You dare not eat the thing for fear of what it could do to your men. Andys nods in thanks as you return, but you can see this has done nothing to lessen the corruption of the forest. A small flock of misshapen, mutated crows have set down upon the deer's corpse, and you find yourself wondering what the Eldenorans have done to this land or what they hope to conquer if this is their means of claiming it.

Increase your Loyalty by 1.

Returning to camp, Jansa is waiting to report something she saw. While out hunting, she and Lhaver noticed a hint of smoke in the distance that could be a sign of either civilization or danger.

Loyalty: 1.
Should we investigate the smoke or ignore it?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Investigate, there could be loot. Or the chance to die in a silly way.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Tiggum posted:

Should we investigate the smoke or ignore it?

Let's meddle, kids!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Check out the smoke. Maybe they’re sharing.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Black Robe posted:

Investigate, there could be loot. Or the chance to die in a silly way.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

If you see smoke, there must be a fire. A very bad transation of an old proverb, but the meaning is simple: some signs could easily mean something's happening.

Investigate.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Following the curl of smoke on the horizon, you are surprised to see an unusual shelter in the trees. A woodsman's hut lies nearly thirty feet above you, nestled in the boughs of a massive Salonese Elm.

Climbing a ladder nailed to the tree, you are nearly brained by the wild swing of a bearded man. Upon seeing your uniform, he stays his hand. He is suspicious at first, but after you explain your predicament he apologizes. It seems the forest has been especially unwelcoming of late, and he offers you and your men food and lodging for the evening as well a whatever supplies he can muster.

To your men's relief, the night is spent in warmth and relative comfort. You find the forester to be charming company, who regales you and your men with tales and stories, recognizing a few of you for countrymen. Restore 3 ENDURANCE to your total (6 if you have Triage).

It is from him that you learn much of what has been afflicting the Salonese countryside. Rumors of Vorka and the Eldenoran occupation you expected, but what surprises you is when he tells you of strange wildlife spreading throughout the forest, their bodies warped and twisted by horrific mutations. He describes creatures covered with cancerous growths and unnatural legs growing from their backs, birds sprouting teeth from their chests, and even more perverse sights.

Disturbed by this news, you spend much of the evening in silent, sleepless contemplation after your men have long gone to bed. In the morning, once you have informed your gracious host of your intentions, he offers you a selection of items that could be helpful upon your mission;
  • A Potion of Laumspur (Backpack Item)
  • 3 Meals (Backpack Item)
  • A stout Axe (Weapon)
  • A Quarterstaff (Weapon)
  • A Quiver and 3 Bolts (Special Item)
  • Blanket (Backpack Item)
  • A Coil of Rope (Backpack Item)
Once you have filled your packs, you can continue on your journey.

Endurance: 14.5/33.
What do we take?

Backpack:

1. Vial of Alether (+2 CS)
  2. Bautarian Antitoxin
  3. Borese Boom-Powder
  4. Lantern
  5. Dagger

6. Potion of Alether (+2 CS)

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Quiver, Laumspur, Meals

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Quiver, Laumspur, Rope, Meal

(I'm assuming the Meals are 1 per slot.)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Gats Akimbo posted:

Quiver, Laumspur, Rope, Meal

This.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Gats Akimbo posted:

Yep.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Quiver, Laumspur, Rope, Meals (until no room)

nelson fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 10, 2021

Kangra
May 7, 2012

nelson posted:

Quiver's a Special Item, so we should get two.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

nelson posted:

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

nelson posted:

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Drink the potion now, then quiver rope and fill up with meals

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

exmachina posted:

Drink the potion now, then quiver rope and fill up with meals
This next section shouldn't be here. I'll post it anyway, but consider this a non-canon interlude.

If at any point throughout this adventure, you have drunk a Redeemer's Potion, turn immediately to 135.

Otherwise, one morning, as you are searching through your Backpack, you find it shattered on the floor nearby. Your eyes widen as you realize a slow leak from it has eaten through the leather and canvas frame!

Wondering what possibly could have been so harmful in this medicine that it could destroy your Backpack, you ask to borrow a new one from one of the Lyrisians, promising to pay him back at your journey's end.

Erase the Redeemer's Potion from your Action Chart and turn to 255.
In this context, having never heard of it before, it kind of sounds like we just found this potion on the floor near our backpack - except that the "slow leak" doesn't make sense given that the bottle is shattered. In fact, it refers to a potion we could have received from a Redeemer earlier in the adventure, but didn't. We missed it. It's also possible to receive the potion and throw it away. We obviously should have been told to skip this section, but I guess Duthie forgot to account for that. Fortunately we can just ignore it and carry on.

With the exception of a few arguments breaking out between your men and the Lyrisian contingent, the next few days pass with little incident. You may also recover 6 ENDURANCE during this time; 9 ENDURANCE if you possess either Marcher or Triage (you must consume 2 Meals or lose 6 ENDURANCE. You may deduct only 2 ENDURANCE if you possess Marcher). The three Slovian Knights often step in as an authority, asked for or not, when a quarrel begins. Several of your men seem to resent their presence.

Attempting to keep the peace, you speak with the trio of Black Spurs several times. Terana in particular expresses her frustrations to you while speaking of her hopes for this mission. "With the purse from this I may well be able to purchase back our lands," she informs you one night, huddled around the fire in your hasty camp. Seeing your confusion, she explains, telling you a tale of her family's woes and fortunes while Hiran amuses himself with a lap-harp. How once they had been great and respected lords, servants to the Grand Prince of Suentina, until long ago they fell upon hard times. After selling much of the land that sustained their family, they now are only a withered remnant of their former glory.

Leaning back with a sigh, she sips from a small tin cup, bidding you to tell her your own tale. Gruffly at first, you explain to her the circumstances that forged you - the Darklands War. She had only been a child during its height and seems eager to listen to your war stories and of your time among Drennan's Dogs. She proves a good listener, not passing judgement as you tell her of the choices you have made and asking only a few polite questions. She pats your shoulder in a manner she seems to think reassuring, and tells you that she hopes as well for your success.

"No one should be deprived their homeland so, Kalen. I think we both can feel the other's pain," she says, mouth twisted into a wry smile. With that, she sits up and makes her way to her bedroll as you consider doing the same with your own. Leaning out from a rough canvas tent, Tellias catches your eye and gestures inside.

Endurance: 24.5/33.
Do we chat with Tellias or go to bed?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Let's chat

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
We chatted with the lady Knight. Why not with our old friend too? Talk to him.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Chat.

nelson fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 11, 2021

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
more loyalty chat

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Black Robe posted:

Let's chat

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

achtungnight posted:

We chatted with the lady Knight. Why not with our old friend too? Talk to him.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Slipping into the shoddy tent, Tellias waves you closer. "Enjoyed your conversation with our fetching damosel?" he asks, smoothing back his hair with a grin. You give him a shove and a chuckle, sitting down across from him.

'so, what did you call me here for Tellias? I cannot imagine it was to gossip about Terana," you say, leaning back against the canvas wall.

He smiles again "Well, gossiping is certainly a possibility, but no." he says, holding up a rough, battered leather cup. "I trust you're still the finest dicer in Salony? I've been aching for a game, and this seems the ideal time." Eager for something to lessen your boredom as well, you grab the cup from his hand, shake it and slap it down on a fiat rock - a pack of 1s look back up at both of you. Tellias winces and scoops it up, pulling out a new set of dice. 'sorry, those are for strangers." he says with a rueful grin.

We roll: 6 + 2 (Scrounging) = 8.

You win 8 Lune from Tellias.

The two of you spend hours whiling away your evening, discussing whatever crosses your minds, and at other times sitting in companionable silence. Laughter fills the camp, and later that evening, you pat your friend on the shoulder, confident in the knowledge that he still seems to be the man you knew in your youth.

As you prepare to leave, he taps you on the shoulder, and, looking you in the eye, urges you to lean in. "Do you remember what I said about my 'concerns' my friend? They still stand. Thirty-five thousand a man I have it on good authority. Even if you are so concerned about your reputation, you could retire on that and never need to worry about money again!" he hisses. Although you rebuff him gently, his words still echo in your mind, filling it with thoughts of greed.

Decrease your Loyalty by 1.

Belt Pouch: 53 Lune; 1 Gold Crown.
Loyalty: 0.

Your patrols into the deeper parts of the forest turn little result. As you prepare to give up for the day, the quiet is split by the sound of a war-horn in the distance. Energized by the prospect of a lead, you order your men to gather equipment and set off as quickly as you can in its direction. You are rewarded with promising signs - hoofprints pressed into the dirt along with a discarded piece of clothing stuck to a branch. You recognize it as a piece of Salonese livery, the war-colors of the Prince's Honour Guard!

Cresting the edge of a small hill, you spot a roiling mass of bodies engaged in a melee in front of a ruined homestead. Soldiers in green and black Eldenoran uniforms are grappling with a force of men in blue, the colour of the city of Rhem. Commanding your attention is the youth in the midst of them, laying into the soldiers around him with his sword and seated atop a noble white charger, streaked with sweat across its shaking flanks. The thin, silver circlet upon his head proclaims him to be none other than the object of your mission - Prince Darthon of Rhem, heir to the rulership of the Confederated Principalities of Salony.

You can see from where you stand that his black hair is streaked with blood and his youthful face betrays an expression of fear as an eerie whistling and clicking noise - one you have become intimately familiar with over the past week - echoes over the horizon. As you watch, Tellias and Terana are both at your shoulder, looking askance at you while your men gather behind.
Should we charge in to rescue the prince, or try to get to the farmhouse to establish a defensive position for the prince to retreat to?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I can’t help but wonder what our Loyalty score will mean in the end.

Secure the prince first! Charge!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Rescue the prince!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

achtungnight posted:

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

achtungnight posted:

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

achtungnight posted:

Agree on both.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

With a bellow of "Charge!" your men surge toward the Eldenorans, scattering a few of them and attempting to break their lines before the Vorka can arrive to support them. Despite his surprise at your sudden appearance, the enemy captain reacts quickly. He whistles sharply and you see several Vorka leap at your cluster of men, claws and fangs bared. One of the vicious beasts singles you out!

Vorka Skirmisher (Wounded): COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 28

Tellias and Terana fight beside you during this battle, ignoring all other foes to face the Vorka. Because of this, you may add 10 to your COMBAT SKILL for this battle. Note that you still sustain full damage due to the confusion of the melee around you. If you have the War-Leader Specialty you may add an additional 2 to your COMBAT SKILL for the duration of this battle.
Kalen: COMBAT SKILL 31 ENDURANCE 24.5
Vorka Skirmisher (Wounded): COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 28
Combat Ratio: -4

We roll: 10
Vorka Skirmisher (Wounded): COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 18

Vorka Skirmisher (Wounded): COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 8

We roll: 3
Kalen: COMBAT SKILL 31 ENDURANCE 20.5
Vorka Skirmisher (Wounded): COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 5

We roll: 6
Kalen: COMBAT SKILL 31 ENDURANCE 18.5
Vorka Skirmisher (Wounded): COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 0

The enemy captain is taken with surprise by your speedy dispatch of the Vorka. His eyes narrowed in fury, he leaps to engage you with a black mace personally.

Eldenoran Captain: COMBAT SKILL 20 ENDURANCE 20

Due to the surprise of your charge, you may ignore any ENDURANCE losses from the first round against this enemy. If you have the Skirmisher Specialty you may extend this to two rounds. If you have the War-Leader Specialty you may add 2 to your COMBAT SKILL for this battle. Despite fighting alone, your mastery of tactics is of great help here.
Kalen: COMBAT SKILL 21 ENDURANCE 18.5
Eldenoran Captain: COMBAT SKILL 20 ENDURANCE 20
Combat Ratio: 1

We roll: 9
Eldenoran Captain: COMBAT SKILL 20 ENDURANCE 8

We roll: 7
Eldenoran Captain: COMBAT SKILL 20 ENDURANCE 0

Demoralized by the death of their commander, the Eldenorans break as Prince Darthon and his remaining guard come charging into their rear. Thrown into utter panic, they scatter. Your men raise a victorious cheer for the prince. Mounted atop his white charger, he dismounts and approaches you, hand extended in friendship.

"I know not who you are soldier," he says, voice filled with the unsurety of youth, "but I owe you and your men my life, and those of my guard. You are Salonese. I can tell by your features and your manner of fighting. Tell me, from whence do you come?" Quickly, you kneel and explain that you are reinforcements sent by Knight-General Vysell. The Prince brightens. "You mean to say that we have won at Tekaro?" he asks eagerly.

His face falls as you tell him the truth of recent events. Setting his mouth in a firm line, he rests his hand on your shoulder in the manner of a prince to his subject. "Then, if this is to be the shape of things, I must live now not only for my own people but those of Slovia as well." he says.

As the prince opens his mouth to continue, you hear a human scream. A moment later, the body of one of Tellias" men lands with a clatter in a pool of his own blood beside the two of you. A pack of Vorka have reformed and are leaping to attack!

As you turn to meet the Vorka, one reaches you, swinging at you with a rusted sword. Prince Darthon's blade snakes out to deflect it as the young noble rushes to your aid.

Vorka Skirmisher (Wounded): COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 26

During this battle, as you fight beside Prince Darthon, you may add 7 to your COMBAT SKILL (9 if you possess War-Leader). Additionally any ENDURANCE losses are halved as he shares in your injuries.
Used Vial of Alether (+2 CS).

Kalen: COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE 18.5
Vorka Skirmisher (Wounded): COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 26
Combat Ratio: -5

We roll: 4
Kalen: COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE 17
Vorka Skirmisher (Wounded): COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 23

We roll: 3
Kalen: COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE 15.5
Vorka Skirmisher (Wounded): COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 21

We roll: 1
Kalen: COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE 13.5
Vorka Skirmisher (Wounded): COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 21

Kalen: COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE 12
Vorka Skirmisher (Wounded): COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 18

Kalen: COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE 10.5
Vorka Skirmisher (Wounded): COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 15

We roll: 6
Kalen: COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE 9.5
Vorka Skirmisher (Wounded): COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 10

We roll: 5
Kalen: COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE 8.5
Vorka Skirmisher (Wounded): COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 6

Kalen: COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE 8.5
Vorka Skirmisher (Wounded): COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 0

The Vorka and the Eldenorans surge into your midst as the entire field devolves into a brawl. Darthon is ripped from his horse and you see him bleeding as he fends off two Eldenoran soldiers while his bodyguards grapple with Vorka.

You suddenly are jerked into a position against a wall, shocked to see Tellias looming over you. "Alright, time to choose Kalen. It's now or never. Darthon is here, and no one will say for certain what happens if we do it now. Think of it my friend! Thirty-five thousand Lune and a sure place of prestige? We could retire here if we bring his head!" he whispers, holding you by the collar. His eyes seem deadly serious as they meet yours.
Do we keep our word or betray Darthon?

If our Loyalty was 3 or higher, we wouldn't get this option.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Betrayal, it's bound to kill us in some abrupt and silly fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'm usually all about the stupid deaths but not here. Keep our word.