Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Decentralized vaccination records: if a majority of attendees put a NFT on the blockchain that links to ivebeenvaccinated.com, then all attendees have been vaccinated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
unfortunately, they had to push the summer deadline to next year for their proof-of-stick implementation

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Actually this is good for bitcoin. Thin out the hodlers, your hodling coins go up up up!!

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Wrong kind of super spreader!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Checkmate bitcoin haters, https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/el-salvador-energy-volcanoes-bitcoin-082346002.html El Salvador is gonna use volcanos to mine for bitcoins.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Tenzarin posted:

Checkmate bitcoin haters, https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/el-salvador-energy-volcanoes-bitcoin-082346002.html El Salvador is gonna use volcanos to mine for bitcoins.

That's great. So they're gonna throw bitcoin enthusiasts into the volcano, right?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

tango alpha delta posted:

issuing and revoking private keys must be done by some kind of central authority. any legitimate keystore also must be controlled by a central authority. by definition, any kind of good security must be completely independent of consensus, so what you are describing cannot fit into the block chain model at all.

e:i used to work for a major ISP as an admin for the entire development pipeline. even with all the security we implemented, some developers would still find ways to spin up private code repositories and run untested scripts, breaking their deployments and then blaming us.

in other words, i was the central authority and cowboy coders were still trying to create workarounds.

now, imagine trying to deal with this in a much, much bigger environment, like thousands and thousands of people using the blockchain and expecting someone to manage keys and keystores.

who is seriously willing to babysit that mess?

bitcoin and other crypto currencies do not implement industry best practices at all. they are academic exercises, at best.
The central authority is the point, kind of. Again, I'm talking about using blockchain as an excuse for capital IT investment. Blockchain isn't really going to be distributed in any meaningful way. It's a Merkel tree with aspirations to include business logic. Most enterprise software runs on a virtual machine sort of base despite virtual machines being an imperfect annoying mess so I don't think we want to think too hard about the fundamentals of IT when trying to impugn blockchain as a Merkel tree retread since it is since enterprises tend to seize on bullshit for extremely unpredictable reasons.

Anyway, blockchain's ability to decentralize isn't really drawing any corporate hopefuls. There will be a central authority to a blockchain, fueled by the same trust we use for current data interchange. The joke about blockchain is we've already managed B2B with this sort of central authority. We have standard EDIs through ANSI, GS1 etc that big players then say "haha that's cute but we also want XYZ." It's now a new excuse for IT standard investment in a way for the little guys to get exactly what the big guys want withoit proclamations about how your perfectly standard EDI is wrong every 6 months.

Rogue insiders is one of the things blockchain wants to help fix even. If you know the interchange addresses and ports and foibles about how a business deals with accounts payable EDIs you can (and I thought people had) send junk EDIs directing payment for unserved invoices into a personal bank account. If you're not registered in the blockchain you won't have credentials to issue an invoice and there's one more failsafe against IT insiders (never gonna have any worthwhile protection against business insiders but thats just a price of useful trust).

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
BasiliskCoin. Every one you own takes a hundred years off your time in computer simulation purgatory created by an AI a million years in the future. Invest now and save and your soul.

e: I honestly didn't realise when I made this post that I was reinventing "indulgences" from first principles.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 11, 2021

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

zedprime posted:

Rogue insiders is one of the things blockchain wants to help fix even. If you know the interchange addresses and ports and foibles about how a business deals with accounts payable EDIs you can (and I thought people had) send junk EDIs directing payment for unserved invoices into a personal bank account. If you're not registered in the blockchain you won't have credentials to issue an invoice and there's one more failsafe against IT insiders (never gonna have any worthwhile protection against business insiders but thats just a price of useful trust).
If only there were some other solution for a company just blindly paying any invoice that is sent to them.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

:stare:

https://twitter.com/ToxicBitcoiner/status/1402679594403221507

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

God, poo poo like this just ruins my fapping in this thread. Nothing more heartbreaking than a poor bastard that’s a true believer in the grift.

Well, lots of things are more heartbreaking. But it’s still sad.

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jun 11, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

InternetJunky posted:

If only there were some other solution for a company just blindly paying any invoice that is sent to them.
We're all listening as dishing out IT and business process knowledge for GBS is the secondary reason for the thread but modern accounts payable I've known to be something tossed over the fence to off shore who review once before sending to be rubber stamped in mass by someone with an important title but unimportant salary until maybe/maybe not being audited at some point that year. There's a lot of room to Office Space in the dumb corporate processes which are worried more about what date a debit hits than overall accuracy but I guess that isn't ITs problem.

This is a problem dating back to telegrams and faxes in being recognizable as modern wire fraud. There's a moving target here whether blockchain helps or not.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

zedprime posted:

We're all listening as dishing out IT and business process knowledge for GBS is the secondary reason for the thread but modern accounts payable I've known to be something tossed over the fence to off shore who review once before sending to be rubber stamped in mass by someone with an important title but unimportant salary until maybe/maybe not being audited at some point that year. There's a lot of room to Office Space in the dumb corporate processes which are worried more about what date a debit hits than overall accuracy but I guess that isn't ITs problem.

This is a problem dating back to telegrams and faxes in being recognizable as modern wire fraud. There's a moving target here whether blockchain helps or not.

I know it's an issue, but you can't solve human laziness and stupidity with a blockchain. What probably happens is that whatever the process is to get registered on the blockchain as an external vendor will just be exploited instead. Meanwhile you've now anchored your whole company with some stupid blockchain technology that, while it may address this very specific case, has now broken all the other stuff you used to be able to do with had you just kept that info in a database.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
personally i incorporated the blockchain into everything i do cause i was too lazy to learn sql

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

InternetJunky posted:

I know it's an issue, but you can't solve human laziness and stupidity with a blockchain. What probably happens is that whatever the process is to get registered on the blockchain as an external vendor will just be exploited instead. Meanwhile you've now anchored your whole company with some stupid blockchain technology that, while it may address this very specific case, has now broken all the other stuff you used to be able to do with had you just kept that info in a database.
You don't really need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. B2B is an entirely separate server/box/instance from your ERP because you don't mainline outside data into your business veins. There's room to deal with EDI, email, phone calls, and blockchain because your digital system is not in fact a tube that gets clogged.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Anyone remember toner pirates?

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Hello Sailor posted:

Decentralized vaccination records: if a majority of attendees put a NFT on the blockchain that links to ivebeenvaccinated.com, then all attendees have been vaccinated.

not being vaccinated is already documented in the wiki so it'll be fixed soon

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Yeah it was super spreading

Knowledge of BITCOIN

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I wonder if prices are going up only because people can't cash out, only cash in.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Bleusilences posted:

I wonder if prices are going up only because people can't cash out, only cash in.

I mean in this thread somebody paid off their mortgage or whatever so there is some kind of arcane pathway to get out and some people clearly make that cash money off the backs of poor souls stuck holding the bag hoping soon someone else will be.

The exchanges are super shady from what it seems like. When the big crash happened a month ago or whatever from 60k to 30k, they all mysteriously had "api issues" or "server issues" or whatever, and it's obvious that they straight up disabled trading and cashing out to stop the run, and then the true believers are all earnestly saying "binance needs to upgrade their infrastructure so it doesn't happen again" while punching in their CC details to buy the dip.

Just a super weird dissonance and they'd be the first to levy the same accusation were this to happen in any other situation.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

The exchanges are super shady from what it seems like. When the big crash happened a month ago or whatever from 60k to 30k, they all mysteriously had "api issues" or "server issues" or whatever, and it's obvious that they straight up disabled trading and cashing out to stop the run, and then the true believers are all earnestly saying "binance needs to upgrade their infrastructure so it doesn't happen again" while punching in their CC details to buy the dip.

"Technical issues" when the market is going nuts has been happening in crypto for about a decade now, but it was funny to see the difference when Robinhood started doing the same poo poo with real money and it took about five seconds before motherfucking CONGRESS was getting involved to call them idiots

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Well I mean, earlier this week, I had one of my client complaining that he couldn't get any email from a big exchange and nothing from their domain name hit the server in the last 24 hours.

I always knew it's hard to cash out crypto, especially from exchange.

The exchange act likes banks in the early 1900s, as soon as there is a run for the money they close.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Funds are safu.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

buttcoin

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Karia posted:

My advisor asked one of his classes if they had any ideas about the future of cybersecurity for protecting manufacturing operations. He was looking to start some discussion about potential attack vectors, issues with industry adoption. Some of the big issues right now are how to securely transfer classified military part designs and manufacturing processes so they can't be stolen or altered in-transit.

First response: "All of that's going to go the direction of non-fungible tokens and get put on a blockchain."

I, uh, don't think the dude understands what a blockchain is.
I've seen serious pro-blockchain people point out that most of crypto is a cult of people who don't understand what a blockchain is, but ffs that's just pure cyberpunk dystopia cargo culting, we are truly living in the future

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Galewolf posted:

Funds are safu.

Funds are snafu

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Wikipedia posted:

A mantra is a sacred utterance, a numinous sound, a syllable, word or phonemes, or group of words in Sanskrit, Pali or Goon known by practitioners to have religious, magical or financial powers.

I believe!

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Bleusilences posted:

The exchange act likes banks in the early 1900s, as soon as there is a run for the money they close.

Since at least MtGOX

E Magic the Gathering Online eXchange, for the uninitiated.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

boy, this El Salvador thing sure sounds great:
https://twitter.com/StateCommon/status/1403234374695284736
We make it super-easy to send dollars to El Salvador! You simply give us some dollars, then we mumble something unintelligible about bitcoin, and then we hand your recipient some not-dollars!

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
How the hell is putting Tether on anything not a "THIS IS FRAUD" black mark a this point :ughh:

"Synthetic digital dollar".... how are people this loving stupid

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mercury_Storm posted:

How the hell is putting Tether on anything not a "THIS IS FRAUD" black mark a this point :ughh:

Bitcoin: There is always more, and it is always worse

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If the economy is an engine, synthetic dollars are obviously better for it's healthy lubrication.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
can't wait for the Saturday 6AM infomercials about duracoin showing an exchange running for 24hrs with no actual money

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

me, a cryptocurrencyist: i firmly believe in cryptocurrency because evil governments issue fiat money, crypto is pure and i will fight people on the internet over it

also me: i am so glad that el salavador is accepting bitcoin that i will willfully ignore the things the government has done... BITCOIN!

also me: i see nothing wrong at all with tether. so what if they hold tons of commercial paper no one is able to account for? that's fine. so what if no one in that space has ever heard of tether buying up any commercial paper? that's fine too. and oh, they have like 3 employees running something supposedly worth billions of dollars? also fine. they're just really efficient. that's the power of CRYPTO!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
https://twitter.com/RichScotford/status/1402316751275233288?s=20

This is someone I used to know IRL who went full on buttcoin shill. I did laugh at this one though. He was trying to post a picture from the movie Zulu, about Rorkes Drift where the British soldiers fought off 4000 zulu warriors. But instead he posted a pic from the movie Zulu Dawn which is about the earlier battle of Isandlwana where the soldiers all got utterly massacred. He intended it to be a good metaphor for bitcoin, and it accidentally turned out to be a great metaphor for bitcoin.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Mercury_Storm posted:

I'll only have organic dollars so I'll be passing on that one.

Bitcoin Lestat
Apr 2, 2021

by Shine
https://youarenotsosmart.com/2019/04/09/yanss-150-belief-change-blindness/

My shitcoin portfolio is having a fun month:

Oh well. See you round friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LyG0S_arq8

Bitcoin Lestat fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 11, 2021

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Number go down?

snorch