Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

tsob posted:

Who tortured him? Where is it even confirmed to have happened? Both "where was Loki physically as a character within the setting when it happened" and "what media confirmed it"? I don't remember any such thing in Thor or The Avengers at least.

Not physically tortured but I think it is implied he had a very bad time when with Thanos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEN8DnkANYQ&t=115s
(Only clip I could find and in bad quality, sorry! )

Edit:
In before someone says "why was he still working with Thanos if he was having a poo poo time?" "this is dumb" "this is illogical" . The answer is the same reason why he pretended to enjoy killing people. Loki, by the looks of it, it's an opportunist and dislikes the idea of looking weak before anyone else. You get a glimpse of it when at the beginning of this episode you can see how he runs to stand on a stone to look all mighty and powerful.

The guy's ego is the size of Ego. :v:

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Kurt Russell's not that big!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Really pleased with the pilot. It reminded me of Greatest Hits from LOST and even a little bit of Tapestry from Star Trek TNG. Loki has always had charisma to spare mostly due to Hiddleston, the character becomes compelling when other characters and events pierce the facade. Using the highlight reel bridge the gap was great and Hiddleston killed it

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

It was good to see Ruby from Lovecraft Country again, and I think the costume designer who got her into that armor is the real MVP here.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Madurai posted:

It was good to see Ruby from Lovecraft Country again, and I think the costume designer who got her into that armor is the real MVP here.

Who would have thought that Wunmi Mosaku in fascist body armor would be my special thing?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

I love how the first episode of Loki made me instantly Wikipedia who the gently caress D.B Cooper was.

...and holy poo poo. :monocle:

Criminal did a great double-episode not about D.B. Cooper, but about an incompetent copy-cat. He gets into lots of trouble with skyjacking, and his solution is always more skyjacking https://thisiscriminal.com/episode-100-ten-thousand-feet-in-the-air-10-5-18/

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Theory: Being 'Reset' isn't execution. It's conscription where you're turned into another drone for the TVA.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The ending credits music for Loki is so good that I will sit through the credits every week.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
When they reset a timeline, does that mean that everything goes back to wherever it was at the time of the branch? So for example, those Mongolians would only go back like 3 minutes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

live with fruit posted:

When they reset a timeline, does that mean that everything goes back to wherever it was at the time of the branch? So for example, those Mongolians would only go back like 3 minutes.

I think that's what we're meant to think. I think it might be a bit more sinister than that.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

live with fruit posted:

That's what I got from it.
The bad part is that the branch has billions and billions of new souls that are getting erased from existence just because three time lord lizards said so.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

TyrantWD posted:

The ending credits music for Loki is so good that I will sit through the credits every week.

Yeah, the music has been outstanding.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/loki-avengers-endgame-marvel-disney-1234965274/

That article has a great interview with Kate Herron, where she talks about the music, among many other things. Mild spoilers about show music.
Kate is obsessed with this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vB_C3gOjwU which is going to be in Episode 2. I can see why, it's so cool and it's a perfect fit for this show's vibe.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

X-O posted:

I think that's what we're meant to think. I think it might be a bit more sinister than that.

even if that is literally all it is, they are effectively killing those people, not so bad in a 3 minute timeline after that but probably pretty monstrous in others

but yeah i agree that 'prune' makes it sound significantly worse than just a reset

eke out fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 11, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

live with fruit posted:

The reset charges do not look like a "set people back a few minutes" kind of device. I think we only saw one in action in Mongolia, though?

Given the whole use of the term "prune" I think it's very likely they're far more decisive in their action.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The reset charges do not look like a "set people back a few minutes" kind of device. I think we only saw one in action in Mongolia, though?

Given the whole use of the term "prune" I think it's very likely they're far more decisive in their action.

The one time we see it in action, the slowly spreading energy looked very similar to what happens when they use the pruning batons on people/things.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
In theory, 2014 Gamora floating around out there should also be on the TVA's radar even though Tony clipped the rest of that branch with his snap.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Theory: Multiverse Kilmonger will be the new Black Panther.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Theory: Multiverse Kilmonger will be the new Black Panther.

Multiverse T'Challa, so they're not 'technically' recasting him but MBJ still gets in.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Everyone's talking about how the TVA committed genocide by 'pruning' the the universe that existed for three minutes in which Loki teleported to Mongolia, but no one is talking about Loki's irresponsible fathering of an entire universe by teleporting to Mongolia. Or perhaps he is a hero, for giving billions of people life?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Multiverse T'Challa, so they're not 'technically' recasting him but MBJ still gets in.

Speaking of this, given how Maguire and Garfield are supposedly in No Way Home and Grant and Di Martino are supposedly playing other Lokis, does this mean that any multiverse version of a known character couldn't be played by the same actor? And that any multiversal Wanda would be Olsen?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Edge & Christian posted:

Everyone's talking about how the TVA committed genocide by 'pruning' the the universe that existed for three minutes in which Loki teleported to Mongolia, but no one is talking about Loki's irresponsible fathering of an entire universe by teleporting to Mongolia. Or perhaps he is a hero, for giving billions of people life?

Save for all the babies born in that period, which isn't nothing, weren't all those people already alive?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

live with fruit posted:

Speaking of this, given how Maguire and Garfield are supposedly in No Way Home and Grant and Di Martino are supposedly playing other Lokis, does this mean that any multiverse version of a known character couldn't be played by the same actor? And that any multiversal Wanda would be Olsen?

I believe there is some sort of concept of a Nexus, which is a being who remains constant throughout all multiverse versions of themselves. Wanda is supposed to be one of this beings, so presumably if we see other versions of Wanda throughout the multiverse, they will all be played by Wanda.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I am still curious as to the significance of the red line. Like what happens if a branch does hit the redline?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

live with fruit posted:

Save for all the babies born in that period, which isn't nothing, weren't all those people already alive?
For the Three Minutes Divergent people, either they're brand new people who are killed by the TVA, or they're "already alive" and still exist in the other timeline, so 'killing' them doesn't really count.

Also outside of some sort of Butterfly Effect thing, any babies born in that three minute window are likely also being born over in the universe where Loki didn't teleport to Mongolia, so they're also "already alive".

What I'm saying is that in a way it's morally irresponsible to not create as many divergent timelines as you possibly can, otherwise you're committing genocide by omission. Also Thanos must loving hate divergent timelines, way too many lives.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Edge & Christian posted:

For the Three Minutes Divergent people, either they're brand new people who are killed by the TVA, or they're "already alive" and still exist in the other timeline, so 'killing' them doesn't really count.

Also outside of some sort of Butterfly Effect thing, any babies born in that three minute window are likely also being born over in the universe where Loki didn't teleport to Mongolia, so they're also "already alive".

What I'm saying is that in a way it's morally irresponsible to not create as many divergent timelines as you possibly can, otherwise you're committing genocide by omission. Also Thanos must loving hate divergent timelines, way too many lives.

It's like BTTF. Did Marty kill all those people in alternate 1985 by stopping Biff or did he "reset" the timeline Biff shouldn't have made?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Edge & Christian posted:

Conceived then.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

what if the twist of the show is that every single variant hunted/captured/eluding the tva were a different version of loki

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I think the other Asgardians put up with Loki for so long because, while an rear end in a top hat, he was THEIR rear end in a top hat. Like the DB Cooper thing - hilarious.

That's part of why the audience roots for him as well. The duality of assholishness. That and he's the protagonist, and hella charismatic.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

live with fruit posted:

In theory, 2014 Gamora floating around out there should also be on the TVA's radar even though Tony clipped the rest of that branch with his snap.

See... I don't think so. Time travel itself doesn't necessarily mean the Sacred Timeline has been violated. Mobius mentioned what the Avengers did was supposed to happen. That means 2014 Gamora existing in the Sacred Timeline.

The opposite is also true. From the informational video it seems like time travel isn't needed to violate the Sacred Timeline. You just "decide" to go a different way to work one day and BAM you are arrested by the TVA and reset.

Loki didn't do any time travel or multiverse mischief himself either. He just grabbed the space stone and went to Mongolia.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 11, 2021

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

tva seems pretty fascist to me

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Google Butt posted:

tva seems pretty fascist to me

yeah they're definitely setting them up to be the bad guys.

now the wild card is gonna be moibus. is he going to toe the line or help loki undo the fascism

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

aBagorn posted:

now the wild card is gonna be moibus. is he going to toe the line or help loki undo the fascism

Or is he, like the kid in France, also Loki?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TyrantWD posted:

I don't understand why they stuck a pretty good opening credits sequence at the end.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Alhazred posted:

I don't understand why they stuck a pretty good opening credits sequence at the end.

That's kinda been the MCU way since the original Iron Man, though? At least for the movies. The Netflix series broke with that tradition but it looks like Disney+ is sticking with it for their shows.

Really loved the 60's sci-fi aesthetic but also loved playing "Hey it's THAT actor!" It's also kind of amusing that so many people in the cast have been in other shows that dealt with alternate reality/afterlife themes.

"Hey! It's Ruby from Lovecraft Country!"

"Hey! It's Kelly from Black Mirror/San Junipero!"

"Oh DIP! It's PILLBOI!"

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I liked the episode and I'm looking forward to the rest. There are things that bug me about what we're told about the TVA in either an overall sense or in how they contradict what I thought happened in Endgame but hopefully it'll all get ironed out when we learn a little more.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
Did the Sacred Timeline include Cap and Tony going to 1970 to pick up a spare Space Stone because Loki hosed off with the one they were trying to get?

Sesq fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 11, 2021

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Zero One posted:

It's like BTTF. Did Marty kill all those people in alternate 1985 by stopping Biff or did he "reset" the timeline Biff shouldn't have made?

At the very least, Marty either murdered his alternate future self, or condemned them to live in a completely different timeline while they took over their life.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

live with fruit posted:

Conceived then.
At that point we're restricting the divergent timeline to anyone who in that particular part of Mongolia who was in the middle of reproductive intercourse and stopped to go see what fell from the sky, I'm reasonably sure anyone else having sex in that three minute period was having it in both timelines.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

aBagorn posted:

right now the setup is: Variant Loki either helps the TVA or his existence ends (because OG Loki is happening offscreen and he can't "go back"

what if the same is also true for Mobius and all the other agents? they have to perpetuate the TVA to continue existing

now how to break that self reinforcing system is gonna be interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

right now the setup is: Variant Loki either helps the TVA or his existence ends (because OG Loki is happening offscreen and he can't "go back"

what if the same is also true for Mobius and all the other agents? they have to perpetuate the TVA to continue existing

now how to break that self reinforcing system is gonna be interesting

The whole "fish" thing with Casey makes me wonder if they've had their memories erased, although at the same time this one episode of Loki raised a lot of linguistic questions about the MCU.