Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Van's gonna have Wind locked slots

he uses an electrical Art in some footage, and some of his Crafts have a lightning-y greenish-blue to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Hwurmp posted:

why didn't you all tell me Trails to Azure Chapter 2 has a Pom Party boss fight with chiptune Fateful Confrontation

Yeah, that was a great example of that character's ability to lean on or break the fourth wall.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

King of Solomon posted:

Zin disappeared after 3rd and hasn't shown up since. He's coming back in Kuro, but that's because it takes place in Calvard, where he lives. That's a sensible way to handle this kind of thing. It's not like Tita and Agate, who have no real reason to be around.

Yeah this is a better example. Zin hasn't been around at all and since this is his nation it's fairly appropriate for him to appear.

Agate and Tita being around constantly in CS3 and CS4 is irritating as both their arcs are finished and there is nothing new to say with them. Tita gets a tiny bit but it's more overshadowed by HAHAHA SHOULDN'T THESE TWO BANG which no. gently caress off.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Hwurmp posted:

why didn't you all tell me Trails to Azure Chapter 2 has a Pom Party boss fight with chiptune Fateful Confrontation

I assumed everyone already knew that. It's an amazing moment.

RevolverDivider posted:

Agate and Tita being around constantly in CS3 and CS4 is irritating as both their arcs are finished and there is nothing new to say with them.

Tita going to Thors I kind of understand, but what was the rationale for Agate being in Erebonia? Just to shoehorn in more Agate/Tita shipping?

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Agate is a Bracer so instant access pass, and no one in Liberl, no one, would let Tita go alone. Honestly agree though, didn't need these two no matter how fun it was seeing them.

Schera actually had a plot to continue but she's not playable in arc 4 at all, and they just constantly underused her.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

MythosDragon posted:

Schera actually had a plot to continue but she's not playable in arc 4 at all, and they just constantly underused her.

Schera had nothing going for her besides a minor romance subplot that was hinted at. The only way I could see her having an actual role would have been if she had taken Sara's place as the bracer who was recruited to help train Olivier's of royal family backed agents. If that had happened it would have made the player way less invested in the Jaeger subplot of the CS story, as well as make the world feel smaller.

On a related note, that door in 3rd hyped Olivier up as being the Cassius of the CS arc, as the leader-esque character who was going to lead everyone against Osborne. But that never happened. Olivier spent the first three games just twiddling his thumbs, waiting for things to happen, and then when things happened he was just doing "things" offscreen. CS4 spoilers he was useless in CS4 too. His only contribution to the story was being killed off to sell Osborne as the one and only threat in the Trails series up until that point. If the Cold Steel games had been written more like Code Geass/Zeta Gundam where the heroes were a rebel organization actively trying to subvert the power of the tyrant, the game doing the SC thing where every chapter the camera pans over to what Olivier is doing to aid the heroes in the background, Olivier would have gotten a lot more screentime and would have delivered on the promise of 3rd.

I was hoping that Zin was going to be the Cassius of Calvard, but given how Olivier was treated, I have very little hope for Zin being anything more than a guest character for a couple hours, and then being pretty much a nonentity for the rest of the story.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Some Numbers posted:

I assumed everyone already knew that. It's an amazing moment.

Tita going to Thors I kind of understand, but what was the rationale for Agate being in Erebonia? Just to shoehorn in more Agate/Tita shipping?

I recall some CS3 promotion blurb stating that Agate was contacted by Olivert to look further into the Hamel incident on his behalf or something. Personally, I believe that from a narrative perspective Agate was pretty much the perfect character to relay the story behind the Hamel incident in Chapter 1. He's one of the people who knows about it to begin with while it's still somewhat of a closely kept military secret. He wasn't personally involved like Joshua, but since Hamel and Ravennue used to act like friendly neighbors and since his friend/co-worker and former rival WERE directly involved, he still has some personal stake in it which gives him a motive to check out the area. He's not a military official so he can disclose the secret without risking court martial. He's not Erebonian so he's able to provide a bit of an outsider's view on the whole thing.

Though since he was there, the additional Agate/Tita teasing/shipping was pretty much inevitable.

Moofia Boss Val posted:

Schera had nothing going for her besides a minor romance subplot that was hinted at. The only way I could see her having an actual role would have been if she had taken Sara's place as the bracer who was recruited to help train Olivier's of royal family backed agents. If that had happened it would have made the player way less invested in the Jaeger subplot of the CS story, as well as make the world feel smaller.

On a related note, that door in 3rd hyped Olivier up as being the Cassius of the CS arc, as the leader-esque character who was going to lead everyone against Osborne. But that never happened. Olivier spent the first three games just twiddling his thumbs, waiting for things to happen, and then when things happened he was just doing "things" offscreen. CS4 spoilers he was useless in CS4 too. His only contribution to the story was being killed off to sell Osborne as the one and only threat in the Trails series up until that point. If the Cold Steel games had been written more like Code Geass/Zeta Gundam where the heroes were a rebel organization actively trying to subvert the power of the tyrant, the game doing the SC thing where every chapter the camera pans over to what Olivier is doing to aid the heroes in the background, Olivier would have gotten a lot more screentime and would have delivered on the promise of 3rd.

I was hoping that Zin was going to be the Cassius of Calvard, but given how Olivier was treated, I have very little hope for Zin being anything more than a guest character for a couple hours, and then being pretty much a nonentity for the rest of the story.

I have to admit that I was also taken off guard by the fact that after (Cold Steel arc spoilers) Star Door 8 hyped the Erebonian arc as a grand conflict between Olivier and Osborne, Olivert ends up not even taking an active role in Osborne's downfall and ends up staying on the Courageous II while his rival of 7 games is dealt with by his "subordinates".

I don't think seeing Zin as the "Cassius" of Calvard was ever a realistic take. Olivert's true strength, despite being proficient in battle thanks to his marksmanship and skill with a battle orbment, was always his charisma, ability to gather allies and vast network of connections all over the continent. This always put him more as a "player" rather than a "piece", which is what Cassius Bright was known for. Zin, on the other hand, has always been more of a lone wolf who's really capable in a fight and can take on the role of guiding influence to a smaller group of people like he watched over and guided Estelle and Joshua back in FC, but unlike Cassius and Olivier, he's not really the type of guy who'd be go around behind the scenes pulling strings and trying to influence things on a bigger scale. That's more like Kilika's thing.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 11, 2021

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Moofia Boss Val posted:

lol dude I used to disagree with you but now I'm totally on your side. I totally agree about olivert. after sky I was so excited to see him in action in cold steel, but he basically does jack poo poo.

re agate in erebonia, correct me if I'm wrong, but like in sky and cold steel 1 theres a lot of stuff about bracers being kicked out of erebonia as osborne consolidates his power. that's why it's silly that they basically seem to have free reign in 3 and 4.

CS4 spoilers below

Also I just started arc 3 of cs4, and while I am enjoying it more than I thought I would, the relationships between the protaginists and antagonists are so bizarre. like basically all of arc 2 was useless until the end, like "we're holding them hostage to test you but actually they're not in danger and we're all friends like wtf. Then at the end cedric's like "I'm so happy oliverts back, but now I'm gonna kill him" but then rufus is like "you're not following the plan dingus"

I guess what I mean is, so far rean's crew has done nothing to stop the plan or the war, but also the antagonists seem to be letting rean do whatever he wants. basically begging him to end their evil plot. really odd feeling.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
(CS4) Olivert was always going to be just this dude who was the common element of all of the heroes and give them a place to come together. Like the wedding is more or less the culmination of that, the fact that all of those people were in one place because of their personal connections to Olivert is what is supposed to be more or less his "power" in the conflict. He was never going to be a major playable character of Cold Steel, that was always going to be Rean.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

So, a common struggle in shounen battle stuff is how much to involve the child protagonists and how much their adult mentors can do. It's why there are memes about adults being useless and why everyone in a position of power is 20 at most. Olivert's lacking role in CS was definitely them trying to allow Class VII free reign, while still using him as a protective umbrella. I don't like it much either tbh, especially in 2 when he just leaves his super airship with some children, and 3 when we got some new children to worry about instead of using our newly minted adults more to work alongside him, and especially not the sudden 3rd player that basically replaced him. My Ideal is giving the adults a battleground, where they fight to protect the children, while the children deal with the bits that get through, that slowly get higher in stakes as the threats get bigger. I've dealt with people getting kinda annoyed that the children don't get to do anything in that scenario though, and its not all that dissimilar to CS2 where our children get consistently destroyed that everyone hates(but I'm totally fine with).

Also I super disagree on Schera and Olivert's romance, that poo poo was important and is by far my favorite subplot in the series. Was a major part of 4 games, and actually progresses to a finale.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Nate RFB posted:

(CS4) Olivert was always going to be just this dude who was the common element of all of the heroes and give them a place to come together. Like the wedding is more or less the culmination of that, the fact that all of those people were in one place because of their personal connections to Olivert is what is supposed to be more or less his "power" in the conflict. He was never going to be a major playable character of Cold Steel, that was always going to be Rean.

I love that someone has to point this out. Oh my, the guy who has no special powers other than personal charm and who makes a lot of connections worldwide is now not leading the charge on the battle of Gundam vs Gundam on the ground floor -- this is clearly a failure of storytelling. DO SOMETHING OLIVERT.

Like, there's a ton of issues in this series, but that particular plot point isn't one of them.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

where is the Gundam of Love

where is it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

where is the Gundam of Love

where is it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAf-mp4yYNU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I've only played TCS1 and am currently in the early part of Act 2 of TCS2, but Rean is never going to do anything approaching this with his LI, is he :smith:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

SgtSteel91 posted:

I've only played TCS1 and am currently in the early part of Act 2 of TCS2, but Rean is never going to do anything approaching this with his LI, is he :smith:

Falcom is cowards for not ripping the move off wholesale.

Always keep g gundam in your heart

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

G Gundam is one of my earliest childhood memories and I am proud of that.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Arc 2 of CS4 is the low point of the entire series.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Goddamn, I had forgotten about Ys 8 music. That starting area has such a banger, it's absolutely beautiful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNgph1g422Q

You just know you're going on a big rear end adventure

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014

Saoshyant posted:

Goddamn, I had forgotten about Ys 8 music. That starting area has such a banger, it's absolutely beautiful

This song was what convinced me to pick up Ys 8, despite knowing nothing else about it besides "it's a Falcom game". I couldn't imagine not feeling like I was on an epic adventure with it playing.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ys VIII is so good

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I knew nothing about Ys VIII or the series in general when I first played it but the moment that song started I immediately realised I was going to love the game.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Saoshyant posted:

You just know you're going on a big rear end adventure

Hearing this play through good headphones sounds 100x better than my Vita's speaker.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Learning Dana was playable almost got me into Ys. Then learning that she's not the MC, among other things, turned me away.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
dana gets more focus than any other playable character in ys besides adol himself

decent characterization too, though her script sort of forces her VA to stick to only one or two emotions for the last act of the game

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
and if we're talking about ys 8's soundtrack, the loving tutorial battle theme practically had me pinned to the opposite wall of my living room

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h17_m1hJ2wg

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Yeah but it's just one game.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Unfortunately YS9 had a lot to live up to and while it wasn’t a bad game by any means it just didnt have as good of a story as YS8 or quite as memorable of a soundtrack.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ys9's visual style alone is enough to keep me away. hilariously overdesigned protagonists jogging through environments that have maybe two colors apiece

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Argas posted:

Learning Dana was playable almost got me into Ys. Then learning that she's not the MC, among other things, turned me away.

There's a decent amount of Dana-only story content.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah, especially in the non-Vita versions of it. Probably like.. a third of the game maybe?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, especially in the non-Vita versions of it. Probably like.. a third of the game maybe?

The Vita version has missing content?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

BisterdDave posted:

The Vita version has missing content?

I don't think it had Dana's big dungeon or her other forms

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Speaking of Ys IX, we're getting the PC demo at the next Steam game fest thingy. Limited to 120 fps as anything faster breaks the game. I guess the dmg bug from Ys VIII is still in there.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

The Vita Version was the original version, and we live in the era of putting out games on one console, and then like a year or two later putting it on other consoles, but with 5% extra content or free DLC. So yeah, the Vita version has missing content. The PS4 version also doesnt let you buy the DLC for some reason??? Switch has both.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Anyone playing CS4, make sure to go to the Parm Byroad 1 on the final day. Especially if you’ve played the Sky games.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

theblackw0lf posted:

Anyone playing CS4, make sure to go to the Parm Byroad 1 on the final day. Especially if you’ve played the Sky games.

I'd be legitimately shocked if a single player missed that at all.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

MythosDragon posted:

I'd be legitimately shocked if a single player missed that at all.

They might have if not for CS4's handy "this place has something new"-feature on the quick travel menu. It's one hell of a change from the times where you either kept a guide on hand or obsessively talked to everyone after every plot event and still missed stuff.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Erpy posted:

They might have if not for CS4's handy "this place has something new"-feature on the quick travel menu. It's one hell of a change from the times where you either kept a guide on hand or obsessively talked to everyone after every plot event and still missed stuff.

Funfact: That still isnt perfect.

Margarita hangs out in the diner in Raquel during one part, and moves in the next part, but the diner has updated dialogue because she left that the game doesnt tell you about.
But yeah, you'd be hard pressed to miss anything of worth unless you just actively decide not to in CS4.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

that’s the end of 3rd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Erpy posted:

I've never seen a game feature that is so great and so terrible all at once

opening the map after a long bunch of cutscenes and seeing all those NEWs just staring down at me

mocking me