Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Floob posted:

I go back to this game every now and again, but always end up pissed off. I have a lifetime sub, but picked probably the worst class to play solo. Guardian combat is like watching paint dry, I swear! I love so much about how the world was put together, and as you describe, riding your horse and seeing everything was brilliant. I took up farming because I enjoy that as well, but combat is just brutal.

Don't you have mountains of Turbine(?) Points due to your lifetime sub? If so can't you make a new class and buy one of those "auto level to X" items on something else? Or replace the storyline because it's honestly fun and using your guardian to pop some really good teal gear at level 45 and 60 or whatever to transfer to the alt will give the alt a big (though unnecessary) boost to effectiveness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Yeah, before writing it off entirely you may want to try playing a Hunter, which plays exactly the opposite of a Guardian, or a Beorning, which plays like a Guardian that can do damage and heal themselves. Or try a Warden, which plays like a Guardian that can do a lot of damage and healing if you like memorizing combos out of fighting games.

I'd advise against buying a level boost though, you can get to level 20 in a few days and level 50 in a couple of weeks, at which point you've unlocked most of your toolkit.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 10, 2021

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
My champion is way more effective than my captain at leveling. I can grab entire rooms in Moria and solo them, where my Captain can possibly only take 1 or 2 mobs at once.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Lum_ posted:

Yeah, before writing it off entirely you may want to try playing a Hunter, which plays exactly the opposite of a Guardian, or a Beorning, which plays like a Guardian that can do damage and heal themselves. Or try a Warden, which plays like a Guardian that can do a lot of damage and healing if you like memorizing combos out of fighting games.

I'd advise against buying a level boost though, you can get to level 20 in a few days and level 50 in a couple of weeks, at which point you've unlocked most of your toolkit.

I'm not home this week to check, but I believe I already level boosted my guardian at some point, and I did buy a Beorning when that launched, and did enjoy it. I'll always go back if only to go fishing, or take in some sites in a leisurely mood. I love going to the prancing pony when I'm in Bree, but it's usually empty. My wife played a Hunter when it first launched and she loved it. Together we were fine, but a lone Guardian is a rough ride... I'm returning to a couple games I had put aside, and I think the theme is going to be to start a new character. Too much has changed to just jump back in.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Floob posted:

I'm not home this week to check, but I believe I already level boosted my guardian at some point, and I did buy a Beorning when that launched, and did enjoy it. I'll always go back if only to go fishing, or take in some sites in a leisurely mood. I love going to the prancing pony when I'm in Bree, but it's usually empty. My wife played a Hunter when it first launched and she loved it. Together we were fine, but a lone Guardian is a rough ride... I'm returning to a couple games I had put aside, and I think the theme is going to be to start a new character. Too much has changed to just jump back in.
Not sure what server you're on, but Landroval has roleplayers milling about the Prancing Pony in Bree most of the time.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

fenix down posted:

Not sure what server you're on, but Landroval has roleplayers milling about the Prancing Pony in Bree most of the time.

I'm on Brandywine, but I don't mind moving around if I need to find a server that suits me. My old guild is long gone.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Floob posted:

Yellow line guardian gets fast as hell at clearing out areas once you can start spreading/reflecting light damage around. Red line is painfully slow single target bleeds but the advantage of a guardian over a hunter is that you can run in, gather up a dozen+ enemies and chew them out at once rather than plinking them down one by one.

I found Hunter waay more tedious.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Floob posted:

I'm on Brandywine, but I don't mind moving around if I need to find a server that suits me. My old guild is long gone.

Brandywine is pretty dead.

Arkenstone is by far the most populated server.

Landroval is where most goons (including me) play; it's RP encouraged but in practice that just means every time you go through Bree you'll see a dozen hobbits nodding along to someone playing Jethro Tull songs on a lute. World chat is pretty chill but sometimes you can get people riled up.

Laurelin is where all the roleplayers actually congregate; if you're not a roleplayer it's pretty desolate.

Anor is the VIP-only progression server that's almost caught up to the rest of the game by now, I expect they'll launch a new one with Gundabad. Ithil, its sister server, is so dead it's being closed.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

sassassin posted:

Yellow line guardian gets fast as hell at clearing out areas once you can start spreading/reflecting light damage around. Red line is painfully slow single target bleeds but the advantage of a guardian over a hunter is that you can run in, gather up a dozen+ enemies and chew them out at once rather than plinking them down one by one.

I found Hunter waay more tedious.

Hunter is utterly useless at AOE until you have enough talent points to spec into a couple of abilities around level 50ish. However they can absolutely erase single targets at range better than any class, and have two superpowers (ports to everywhere, monster tracking) that make playing the game muuuuuuch easier.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I got my hunter to around level 95 before I burned out on the game, but it was tons of fun.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I got my hunter to around level 95 before I burned out on the game, but it was tons of fun.

I might go that way, I have played my wife's character before when helping her level. I almost always play a pet class if it's offered, or high DPS focused classes, so the Guardian is not my usual setup. It just worked when I had a partner playing who could cut them down as I tanked.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
I got all patched up last night and logged in. I have 20k or so in store money. I had spent some over the years buying expansions. Looks like I'm an expansion behind, and maybe some lesser expansion. Those will cost me less than 10k together, so not bad. My main is a level 105 Guardian. I remember buying the level skip last time I thought I might play and I got moved to that level appropriate area. I'm logged out in Bree right now after doing some farming before logging out.

I can already tell by looking at the store there are pieces of this game I'm not familiar with. Traits and other skills I don't remember, so I am going to role a new character. What's my best bet as a solo player? I think that's the best way to start. I'll create the new character on Landroval (spelling) and see if I can get with you there.

Floob fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 11, 2021

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I think you said you enjoyed pet classes, Loremaster is a good solo class; you now get the tank pet (bear) from level 1 and if you spec blue (the pet spec tree) your pets do most of the work. As you level you can use the bog lurker pet at level 20 to kill most things at range and you can dip into the red spec tree to unlock Lightning-storm, the lightning AOE that absolutely wipes out entire groups of monsters.

This has more info (and on other classes as well - a Hunter is also a good choice for soloing)

https://www.lotrobasics.com/p/loremaster-class-guides.html

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Lum_ posted:

I think you said you enjoyed pet classes, Loremaster is a good solo class; you now get the tank pet (bear) from level 1 and if you spec blue (the pet spec tree) your pets do most of the work. As you level you can use the bog lurker pet at level 20 to kill most things at range and you can dip into the red spec tree to unlock Lightning-storm, the lightning AOE that absolutely wipes out entire groups of monsters.

This has more info (and on other classes as well - a Hunter is also a good choice for soloing)

https://www.lotrobasics.com/p/loremaster-class-guides.html

That's perfect, I had no idea pets were possible. Lore Master it is! Thank you,

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
LM is my favorite class in any MMO. It might not burn things down solo as fast as hunter or RK but the flavor and the toolkit are a lot of fun and you can handle almost anything. Hopping into Mordor was rough at first as you’re a bit squishy but it got easier as I geared up again.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Kaysette posted:

LM is my favorite class in any MMO. It might not burn things down solo as fast as hunter or RK but the flavor and the toolkit are a lot of fun and you can handle almost anything. Hopping into Mordor was rough at first as you’re a bit squishy but it got easier as I geared up again.
My favorite thing is teaching pubbies about the flank system :D

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
How do Runekeepers fare as they level up? I’m still at about lvl 20 on mine, but just wondering people’s thoughts.

Most of my time right now is spent in decision paralysis over what class I want to play. I kinda lean Hunter just because of the crazy quality of life abilities they get compared to everyone else, but they really only have the one role in groups. I kinda like that RK can DPS or Heal. Bear is fun, too, but the high ranged impact classes sometimes just feel better. And minstrel is my highest so far in the upper 30’s. Cause yelling and playing instruments at things until they die never gets old.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

HPanda posted:

How do Runekeepers fare as they level up? I’m still at about lvl 20 on mine, but just wondering people’s thoughts.

Most of my time right now is spent in decision paralysis over what class I want to play. I kinda lean Hunter just because of the crazy quality of life abilities they get compared to everyone else, but they really only have the one role in groups. I kinda like that RK can DPS or Heal. Bear is fun, too, but the high ranged impact classes sometimes just feel better. And minstrel is my highest so far in the upper 30’s. Cause yelling and playing instruments at things until they die never gets old.
RK's are on the bottom end of the DPS scale as well as the healing scale, but they did just get a recent damage buff so probably slightly funner to level up than they used to be?

As far as I know the most sought after classes at end game currently are beorns, captains, minstrels, burgs + hunters. The main issue is actually getting to end game (outside of the previously mentioned level boosts you can buy)

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

HPanda posted:

I tried out my RK for the first time in a while and lightning/red spec is fun once you get the runestone. I could do the whole grouping enemies thing once I got that. And your self-heals are pretty excellent. But I don't know (and personally don't care) about endgame usefulness.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
Ok, I went ahead with creating a Lore Master on Landroval , and got to level 13. I forget one of the things about this game that always frustrated me was the way combat worked. It's easier to ignore when having a pet, but the way combat sort of queues up attack's it's almost turn-based in its feel, and it drives me mad... Otherwise, I'm having fun and I only used the store to purchase expansions, and some quality of life stuff such as inventory, and the cooldowns for fast travel, things like that. Plenty of coin left to level boost if I ever decide I'm ready for it. I'm a big supporter of knowing your class before auto leveling though, and I have barely scratched the surface.

Going down the pet traits I'm very much single target focused, but I can see the development of some crowd control in the class, so I think that will be fine in these lower levels. Eventually I will delve into the trait line that will give me an AOE.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Many online games are actually turn-based to account for small differences in latency. It's just the turn timers are short enough that it's not easy to notice. It's more noticeable in MMOs. I think it's particularly noticeable in LOTRO because it's designed for people who read Tolkien.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
are the xpacs and what not free? or do you have to pay full price for all of them? i can't imagine paying that much for a 15 year old f2p mmo

also holy poo poo i guess i'm really out of the loop, i had no idea turbine no longer ran this game apparently since 2016. god drat lol.

i wonder if my old account still exists? I played the game in beta and shortly after release for a while, came back at some point when wardens came out and ran around for a bit.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 15, 2021

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Tabletops posted:

are the xpacs and what not free? or do you have to pay full price for all of them? i can't imagine paying that much for a 15 year old f2p mmo

also holy poo poo i guess i'm really out of the loop, i had no idea turbine no longer ran this game apparently since 2016. god drat lol.

i wonder if my old account still exists? I played the game in beta and shortly after release for a while, came back at some point when wardens came out and ran around for a bit.

It will, and you’ll also have all the years of veteran rewards. That one surprised me when I logged in for the first time in 10 years.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

HPanda posted:

It will, and you’ll also have all the years of veteran rewards. That one surprised me when I logged in for the first time in 10 years.

their account management site looks exactly how i remember turbines old one looking. tried to recover my username or password and the site gives zero indication that it's sent an email or anything lol. I have old emails from ~2012 about resetting my pw and that lines up with the warden stuff i think. However doing the username thing to that email or the pw recover for that account gets nothing

; ; guess i'll contact their support

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 15, 2021

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Is there still a goon presence in this game?

Reinstalled and made a Beorning named Hoborg. Would love a kin invite if that's still a thing, if for no other reason than to ask questions as I quest my way into the Bree-lands. Cheers!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Is there still a goon presence in this game?

Reinstalled and made a Beorning named Hoborg. Would love a kin invite if that's still a thing, if for no other reason than to ask questions as I quest my way into the Bree-lands. Cheers!

Not enough to do raids, but a few randoms a day log in to do festivals, level, or whatever it is they like. I'm always surprised how even between expansions,we have a few dozen people who never manage to log in during the same day of the week. Let me know when to find you and I or an officer will get you an invite and some starter things

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Thanks! Sent you a PM, but I've finished Book 2 now and am moving towards Evendim. So far, I've met 3 players questing along the way, but I'm level 32 now and kind of figuring out my next move as I finish up quests in the Lone Lands on my Beorning. Any suggestions?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Thanks! Sent you a PM, but I've finished Book 2 now and am moving towards Evendim. So far, I've met 3 players questing along the way, but I'm level 32 now and kind of figuring out my next move as I finish up quests in the Lone Lands on my Beorning. Any suggestions?

Do you need any armor or weapons? My main is a weaponsmith and my Beorning alt is a metalsmith, should be able to craft you something if you need it.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Comrade Koba posted:

Do you need any armor or weapons? My main is a weaponsmith and my Beorning alt is a metalsmith, should be able to craft you something if you need it.

That's be fantastic! Some heavy armor and a 2-handed axe that a level 35 can use would help a ton. I've been trying to casually do the GA instances without much success this week while training up woodworking and forestry. I'm on Landroval as Hoborg.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Pillow Armadillo posted:

That's be fantastic! Some heavy armor and a 2-handed axe that a level 35 can use would help a ton. I've been trying to casually do the GA instances without much success this week while training up woodworking and forestry. I'm on Landroval as Hoborg.

Cool, I’ll see what I can do!

EDIT: Turns out I didn't have much mid-level ore laying around, but I did manage to craft you a few lvl. 32 armor pieces, hope that helps a bit at least.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 24, 2021

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Anybody going to try out Treebeard or Shadowfax? Thinking about giving one or the other a try since I didn’t get very far into Anor before IRL things happened

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Cnidario posted:

Anybody going to try out Treebeard or Shadowfax? Thinking about giving one or the other a try since I didn’t get very far into Anor before IRL things happened

I'm enough of a masochist I'm going to consider one or the other even though it would be my 4th time through the early game. I fell off Anor just before Mirkwood, then came back to Landroval and am near the end of Mirkwood now on a new warden. But I still kind of prefer the legendary servers. I'm not sure if I'll try the fast or the slow one, its kind of annoying they aren't putting out any specific info until the day it goes live.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Aww yiss, maybe this time around I can have friends to play wi--

*introduces difficulty slider so you can level faster or craft your way to 50 in record time*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTLmD2kFDm0

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

One of the servers has faster leveling and the other has slower leveling, so you could try the slower leveling one if you wanted that, I might try the faster leveling one just to see how fast it is, wish I could transfer my 68 captain over and finish leveling there.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

I'm not sure if those servers have faster or slower leveling, I thought the speed at which they were referring to was how fast they are going to do the progression unlocks (i.e., you can go into Moria now).

I'm going to try to get on Treebeard when it launches tomorrow

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
There appears to be some confusion as to if it's slower xp or slower stepping up to the next expansion, and the devs aren't clarifying until the servers are up. That's kind of weird?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Details for the new legendary servers are up. +50% xp (includes LI and mount) and +20% virtue xp on Shadowfax, new expansions every two months. Treebeard has -60% xp, and the expansions will unlock every 5-6 months.

The new landscape difficulty levels, currently only on these two servers, can be changed at will at a NPC by the Prancing Pony. There are new titles for hitting 50 and 130 with the difficulty increases if you set it before level 11 then don't change it again. No detailed specifics but it increases the difficulty of the mobs you will face and the Eye of Sauron will fall on you at times hitting you with random effects.

Treebeard doesn't seem slow enough in advancement for the slowtro folks so I'm curious how they will take it. I think I'll throw in on Shadowfax as a captain, champion, or beorning.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

On bullroarer during earlier testing, that difficulty npc was also in the other starting areas (celondim and i assume also thorins hall and michael delving). Dunno if that changed though.

People are mad that -60% xp is still too fast? Man, what do they want? That's probably slower than retail was in 2007.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Cutedge posted:

People are mad that -60% xp is still too fast?

Yes, probably, but I meant the 5-6 month expansion pack progression. There's nothing they can do to avoid some people complaining but I think the two servers with different rates is a good solution.

I also shouldn't have specified slowtro folks because that's something different, guilds using the no-xp stone of the tortoise to take content at an agreed upon rate on the regular servers.

Anor and Ithil were -40% xp and a 3 month expansion unlock, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Wonder if Shadowfax means you can level just doing the main story, would still take 3 months with 2 months of that being traveling from quest giver to quest giver but still would be pretty cool to just be able to do the Epic quests.