Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
it’s an act of unimaginable cruelty to simply ignore the... heh... humanity of a person!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

that's when we start shooting missiles and doing the little kid "look at me! aliens! look at what I can do! hey! you're not looking!" routine

I don’t know! Who has the right to make that decision? what if that turns us from being a curious insect to a bunch of vermin to be disposed of? what if UFOs just come and go and we figure out they’re some kind of alien and they simply never acknowledge or give a poo poo about us, proving inscrutable to our analysis and impervious to our resistance, they just become some kind of lovely weather??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Crusader posted:

a big cultural ufo craze exceeding the level of the 50s and the 90s would be p. dope
i've gotta start collecting white doves to release into the sky

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Butternubs posted:

What does real mean though? Are some of the reports of UAPs real? for sure they are, people have definitely seen things that no one can currently explain. Are they really alien space ships? Still probably not.

Thanks for this, I was starting to believe and this post cleared it all up for me.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

if youre a hot nordic venusian meet me at the integratron right before giant rock. i WILL be checking your footprints for incoherent scribbling so legit venords ONLY

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
There is, unsurprisingly, a lot of discussion around UAP and how they move, but I think this thread could really use a step forward. I think we actually need to talk about the aliens. I've done quite a bit of research both on the internet and independently in-person and I think I've started to piece it together.

I recommend reading on, because the defying of physics by these "ships" will be easily explained.

To start, let me lay out a few observations which are all based on fact:
1. Project Blue Book ended in the early 70's, but most people believe that it went underground at this point.
2. George Lucas is in close contact with high level officials in the federal government.
3. George Lucas begins working on Star Wars approximately 2 weeks after this meeting and the formal announcement that project blue book has closed.

There is a lot of evidence that the original Star Wars trilogy is actually an origin story relayed from the aliens. You may ask, but why are humans there? That will be explained.

So, the original trilogy shares the alien origin story - it was just used to start to slowly trickle out information to the populace through the use of popular media - something the government always does.

Now - this alone is quite big, but what I'm about to explain next is even bigger. Now I want to warn you, the following is based on my independent research so it isn't as heavily supported among those in the know as the statements above.

My independent observations:
1. The YA series Animorphs begins being written in 1996, by the late 90's most of the books are ghost written.
2. The Yeerk are introduced by a ghost writer - who is believed to be George Lucas
3. Star Wars 1-3 are released by george lucas within a year of the first discussion of yeerks in animorphs.
4. star wars 1-3 is portrayed as happening before 4-6, but every nerd worth his salt knows its obviously set in the future because they have way better tech.

My theory is the midichlorians/yeerks are the true alien creator. they live within our bodies and direct us what to do.

The aliens themselves are actually a massless conscious therefore they can defy all sorts of laws of physics and their shape appears differently to people because they are just a projected consciousness therefore people see whatever they want to see.

Now what comes next is not even supported by independent observation, these are my personal beliefs.

1. These aliens move throughout the galaxy and whenever intelligent life appears to be about to arise they seed them with young aliens - similar to a fly implanting larva.
2. They had a lot of success with the original humans.
3. They found Earth and a simian species similar to humans which they implanted and have allowed to grow into humans.
4. They have come back to use us to create more ships and power for them, effectively strip mining our planet and then they'll destroy it and move on.d

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i've gotta start collecting white doves to release into the sky

That sounds more like a John Woo craze

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

further historical evidence? the concepts of fate feature heavily through all cultures - the original question which is lost is: how can we say we have free will if we have midichlorians directing us in our blood?

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Butternubs posted:

What does real mean though? Are some of the reports of UAPs real? for sure they are, people have definitely seen things that no one can currently explain. Are they really alien space ships? Still probably not.

'a little from column A, a little from column B...maybe' is very rational thank you for the level head in a sea of foolishness

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Vomik posted:

There is, unsurprisingly, a lot of discussion around UAP and how they move, but I think this thread could really use a step forward. I think we actually need to talk about the aliens. I've done quite a bit of research both on the internet and independently in-person and I think I've started to piece it together.

I recommend reading on, because the defying of physics by these "ships" will be easily explained.

To start, let me lay out a few observations which are all based on fact:
1. Project Blue Book ended in the early 70's, but most people believe that it went underground at this point.
2. George Lucas is in close contact with high level officials in the federal government.
3. George Lucas begins working on Star Wars approximately 2 weeks after this meeting and the formal announcement that project blue book has closed.

There is a lot of evidence that the original Star Wars trilogy is actually an origin story relayed from the aliens. You may ask, but why are humans there? That will be explained.

So, the original trilogy shares the alien origin story - it was just used to start to slowly trickle out information to the populace through the use of popular media - something the government always does.

Now - this alone is quite big, but what I'm about to explain next is even bigger. Now I want to warn you, the following is based on my independent research so it isn't as heavily supported among those in the know as the statements above.

My independent observations:
1. The YA series Animorphs begins being written in 1996, by the late 90's most of the books are ghost written.
2. The Yeerk are introduced by a ghost writer - who is believed to be George Lucas
3. Star Wars 1-3 are released by george lucas within a year of the first discussion of yeerks in animorphs.
4. star wars 1-3 is portrayed as happening before 4-6, but every nerd worth his salt knows its obviously set in the future because they have way better tech.

My theory is the midichlorians/yeerks are the true alien creator. they live within our bodies and direct us what to do.

The aliens themselves are actually a massless conscious therefore they can defy all sorts of laws of physics and their shape appears differently to people because they are just a projected consciousness therefore people see whatever they want to see.

Now what comes next is not even supported by independent observation, these are my personal beliefs.

1. These aliens move throughout the galaxy and whenever intelligent life appears to be about to arise they seed them with young aliens - similar to a fly implanting larva.
2. They had a lot of success with the original humans.
3. They found Earth and a simian species similar to humans which they implanted and have allowed to grow into humans.
4. They have come back to use us to create more ships and power for them, effectively strip mining our planet and then they'll destroy it and move on.

now to explain potentially why there has been an increase lately:

1. discovery of nuclear technology brings them forward for 2 reasons: one is we have finally found a power source they could actually use and two the nuclear weapons are the only thing that can truly kill midichlorian
2. knowing that nuclear weapons can only kill midichlorian when we dropped the nuclear bombs on hiroshima and nagasaki - the midichlorians/yeerks felt "a great disturbance in the force as if millions of midichlorians cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced"
3. they've come here to control our extermination of them and also to begin the harvesting of power

also potentially the 5g radio waves are interfering with their cloaking

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

Vomik posted:

now to explain potentially why there has been an increase lately:

1. discovery of nuclear technology brings them forward for 2 reasons: one is we have finally found a power source they could actually use and two the nuclear weapons are the only thing that can truly kill midichlorian
2. knowing that nuclear weapons can only kill midichlorian when we dropped the nuclear bombs on hiroshima and nagasaki - the midichlorians/yeerks felt "a great disturbance in the force as if millions of midichlorians cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced"
3. they've come here to control our extermination of them and also to begin the harvesting of power

also potentially the 5g radio waves are interfering with their cloaking

covid was actually a warm up for our internal midichlorians to disable us when the time comes

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
strong l. ron hubbard vibes from these posts lmao

btw, i love the stories i've heard connecting crowley, john parsons, and hubbard. goddamn that house parsons had sounded like an insane hoot.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

whoa that means the hidden fortress and dambusters are both alien stories in origin too. crazy stuff, real interesting. hey can you play that clip of the gorilla playing the bongo drums again lets see that

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

it would really suck rear end if you felt you could fully comprehend everything youd experienced. like imagine going to your grave smug and content in the knowledge that youd understood everything that ever happened to you. what a waste.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

whoa that means the hidden fortress and dambusters are both alien stories in origin too. crazy stuff, real interesting. hey can you play that clip of the gorilla playing the bongo drums again lets see that

holy poo poo - i bet if those chimpanzees got a hold of you they'd tear you to pieces

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

The Saucer Hovers posted:

it would really suck rear end if you felt you could fully comprehend everything youd experienced. like imagine going to your grave smug and content in the knowledge that youd understood everything that ever happened to you. what a waste.

there is no grave - we rejoin the galactic consciousness. you just awaken knowing everything with a smug sense of superiority - hence why you can play with human life like it means nothing

bleeding kansas
Nov 15, 2019
pretty sure theyre time travelers, or its the universes biggest coincidence theyve got vehicles we recognize as vehicles that seem to be roughly the right size for humans

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

bleeding kansas posted:

pretty sure theyre time travelers, or its the universes biggest coincidence theyve got vehicles we recognize as vehicles that seem to be roughly the right size for humans

pls see above - we've moved on. they're time travelers in the sense when they zip around at the speed of light the world around them ages exponentially fast compared to them not aging at all. they're in us, OP

bleeding kansas
Nov 15, 2019
no i wont read the thread :justpost:

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

https://newatlas.com/materials/thermally-stable-zte-advanced-material/

some lovely website posted:

Australian researchers have created what may be one of the most thermally stable materials ever discovered. This new zero thermal expansion (ZTE) material made of scandium, aluminum, tungsten and oxygen did not change in volume at temperatures ranging from 4 to 1400 Kelvin (-269 to 1126 °C, -452 to 2059 °F).

This new material stays exactly the same volume from close to absolute zero all the way up to comfortably over the heat you'd expect to get on the wing of a hypersonic aircraft traveling at Mach 5.

humm so metamaterials you say

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

NASA and JPL had on the books joint projects focused on producing shape changing metamaterials craft, specifically the shape and position of the wings (think modern XB-70). im a dumb boy but i really think the children of nitinol feature big in /our/ toys.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
what if we are the aliens

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i need the aliens to discipline me

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Vomik posted:

. they're in us, OP

i want an exorcism

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i need the aliens to discipline me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZI-0wZu32Y

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

I'm not sure I'd call that a metamaterial, though that's admittedly not a very well defined term. Still, it's impressive work.

I looked up the paper though my institutional account and there's a little more detail. The synthesis is really easy; it's pretty much put the precursors in a furnace, sinter, grind the result, and then mix and sinter again. That's easy. What's really fascinating is that the structure isn't a composite, like most of these types of low/no expansion materials, but a single phase crystalline structure. "Single phase" in this case means there's only one atomic structure, like various ceramics or metals, and not amorphous like glass or a composite like carbon fiber materials.

What was notably absent was mechanical characterization. The authors only focused on the thermal performance; I can't tell if this is something that would be cast, or machined, or used as a coating because it's not strong enough by itself... That's not a bad thing, that wasn't their goal, just information that would be important in some of their suggested uses.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

it’s an act of unimaginable cruelty to simply ignore the... heh... humanity of a person!

I don’t know! Who has the right to make that decision? what if that turns us from being a curious insect to a bunch of vermin to be disposed of? what if UFOs just come and go and we figure out they’re some kind of alien and they simply never acknowledge or give a poo poo about us, proving inscrutable to our analysis and impervious to our resistance, they just become some kind of lovely weather??

You should read some Stanislaw Lem if you haven't. He wrote that theme in different ways like 7 times.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/DuneQuoteBot/status/1403396869947019270?s=19

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Crazypoops posted:

I want to be the weed planet, the one source of weed for the Galaxy

Wake up and sing the mandatory weed anthem, have some weedies for breakfast, go to the weed factory with my fellow comrades while my children learn weedology at weed school

brings new meaning to the phrase "It's from the Earth!"

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Log082 posted:

I'm not sure I'd call that a metamaterial, though that's admittedly not a very well defined term. Still, it's impressive work.

I looked up the paper though my institutional account and there's a little more detail. The synthesis is really easy; it's pretty much put the precursors in a furnace, sinter, grind the result, and then mix and sinter again. That's easy. What's really fascinating is that the structure isn't a composite, like most of these types of low/no expansion materials, but a single phase crystalline structure. "Single phase" in this case means there's only one atomic structure, like various ceramics or metals, and not amorphous like glass or a composite like carbon fiber materials.

What was notably absent was mechanical characterization. The authors only focused on the thermal performance; I can't tell if this is something that would be cast, or machined, or used as a coating because it's not strong enough by itself... That's not a bad thing, that wasn't their goal, just information that would be important in some of their suggested uses.

oh man i had just assumed it was printed layering lol thats so basic

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

basically space beings will reference earth weed like the east coast did California. Nobody wants space mids

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

brings new meaning to the phrase "It's from the Earth!"

that happens to be what the root word of 'human' means (same as humble, contrast to the gods who were from the... heavens)

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

oh man i had just assumed it was printed layering lol thats so basic

printed layering isn't that great for most high performance materials. It's hard to get good bonds between the layers. I'm not saying it can't be done; if the aliens are real and have metamaterials, maybe that's how they make them. Most mechanical metamaterials are going to be printed to get the required structure, even. But any metamaterials operating on chemical or electronic processes could easily be made another way.

This stuff is a broad enough topic that it's hard for me to nail down specific things of interest out of nowhere, so if you have questions, ask and I'll try to answer. This is actually a topic I'm fairly familiar with.

it's why i want them government fuckers to give me the alien alloys drat it

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
US should get ahead of the game here and rename itself "The United States of Earth"

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
also the ufos are just computer glitches/easter eggs/cia ops

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i would like to have a katana made from special space metal

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

this blade? shaped from the most meta hanzorglax alloys

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

US should get ahead of the game here and rename itself "The United States of Earth"

Not that united tho

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Log082 posted:

adhesion of multiple materials

is this why most of the time when i see someone printing something interesting its made of one thing, like nanocarbon?

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

is this why most of the time when i see someone printing something interesting its made of one thing, like nanocarbon?

Sort of? It's one of the problems, but there's issues getting printers to adhere even layers of similar material. Different materials does make it harder, though. It also adds a lot of complications of having multiple feedstocks and nozzles to prevent cross contamination. There are various systems that can prevent that, for polymers, powdered metals, and probably other materials, and they're fairly mature but most I've seen top out at 2 or 3 materials. That said, I'm not an expert on the printing side.

In general, printed parts trade control over the shape for control over the microstructure. Polymer printers are going to be some for of deposition from a nozzle, or vat polymerization of compounds in a big vat of chemical with focused lighted. Powdered metal and ceramic printers just deposit powders, that are then sintered in a furnace. There are ion jets and fancy things like that, but they're expensive and don't have as much throughput and, I believe, still have some issue with bonding/part strength. That said, you can make complex structures easily that would be difficult or even impossible to machine, which is good when you're trying to make some kind of complex truss system for a mechanical metamaterial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

scary ghost dog posted:

i would like to have a katana made from special space metal

my katana loses no volume when I swing it at the speed of light