Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Shadowbane: for mobile.

It feels like it is trying so hard to be a game from the 2000s and learned some lessons but not the right ones.

Why is the map so resource intensive looking and yet provides not enough information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A1-D164-F4BC05C7-9325
A1-7DE9-C21BEAA7-524A

GET STARTED:
To start your adventure: Redeem your code, create your account and download the game here: Crowfall.com/eternal-heroes-wanted

*Codes expire May 17.

Soren_
Apr 3, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

A1-D164-F4BC05C7-9325
A1-7DE9-C21BEAA7-524A

GET STARTED:
To start your adventure: Redeem your code, create your account and download the game here: Crowfall.com/eternal-heroes-wanted

*Codes expire May 17.

I grabbed the bottom code, can I also generate codes now, or is it only for backers?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Why is the only way to leave groups /leavegroup and why do they have long slash commands like I am playing linux

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Tried this out over the weekend, got one of the intel beta keys. It was aggressively 'ok' I guess, I like the stylized look of the character models. Some of the classes and races were interesting. The combat was hit or miss, some classes and abilities felt weighty and good to use and others I had to look at my skill bar to see if they had actually gone on cooldown because there was no impact or visual indication that they worked.

This was also just in the 1-18 pve intro experience, haven't tried the pvp yet but based on the way the game felt in pve I don't have high expectations and the few twitch streams I watched didn't really change that.

I think had they designed it around a generic PVE game with optional pvp, it might have some chance at success as MMO tourists took a break from their regular games to try it out, but the focus on, rather bland looking, PvP is probably a death knell. Though I realize it probably never would have gotten the initial funding had they not been going after the Shadowbane audience.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Fauxtool posted:

A1-D164-F4BC05C7-9325
A1-7DE9-C21BEAA7-524A

GET STARTED:

*Codes expire May 17.

Grabbed the top code because I am a fool.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
So apparently this is releasing in a month

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/mmo-crowfall-finally-releasing-on-july-6/1100-6492333/?ftag=GSS-05-10aac1i

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That link is not working for me, but July 6 is the official 1.0 release date. I sincerely doubt the game will be ready.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Game is absolutely not ready. I hoped it would launch near the end of the year and I didn't even think that would be enough time.

Well at least a Kickstarted mmo actually launched even if it's gonna die immediately.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I said come in! posted:

That link is not working for me, but July 6 is the official 1.0 release date. I sincerely doubt the game will be ready.

lol

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
this game is about as ready for launch as eq landmark was equivalent to the final release of eq next

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Biowarfare posted:

this game is about as ready for launch as eq landmark was equivalent to the final release of eq next

I had forgotten about that fiasco entirely

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

July 6 of what year?

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

This game's kickstarter ended over 6 years ago now. Might as well release it and hope a few diehards will fund the rest of development, I guess.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Orc Priest posted:

This game's kickstarter ended over 6 years ago now. Might as well release it and hope a few diehards will fund the rest of development, I guess.

They've been continually selling 'more founders packs' on their own store after the KS ended, and spamming the poo poo out of existing backers to upgrade on their store lol

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
is this game coming to Steam or Epic or something?

I feel like no one has heard about this game.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
they have their own launcher, shop, and (very broken) account system

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I don't suppose anyone has any keys left. Probably won't play for more than an hour to check it out if I get one but lol at the idea of paying money for it.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

My guild is all in for 6 months.

I'm so desperate for that mmo drug I'm going all in with them even though the game doesn't seem ready. Hopefully there will be a handful of memorable fights I can reminisce about like I do SB.

I'll be in the Dwarf guild (you'll know it when you see it). Hope to kill you all.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

insider posted:

I'll be in the Dwarf guild (you'll know it when you see it). Hope to kill you all.

Best of luck, as I suspect few of us will be playing.
(Despite having backed it back in the day)

Orv
May 4, 2011
I have more faith in WW2OL being moved over to UE4 and functioning properly than I do anything about Crowfall being more than accidentally fun.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Biowarfare posted:

At least that means I won't stupidly impulse buy it on steam I guess.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Biowarfare posted:

you mean they aren't selling the game on any of the major distribution platforms? yikes, very big yikes
that pre-release statement they posted on their website reads like it's trying to suppress a grimace with blind optimism. "well, we know it's not ready, it's always been a risk, this is going to be painful but sometimes you just have to push it out the door and hope it works..."

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Radio Free Kobold posted:

you mean they aren't selling the game on any of the major distribution platforms? yikes, very big yikes
that pre-release statement they posted on their website reads like it's trying to suppress a grimace with blind optimism. "well, we know it's not ready, it's always been a risk, this is going to be painful but sometimes you just have to push it out the door and hope it works..."

:stonklol: jesus

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
they sure made sure the cash shop was ready though https://crowfall.com/en-US/store

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I wonder if any shadowbane test server people I knew are playing

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Quick overview of the new player experience (lvl. 1 to lvl. 20).

My multiplayer experience is limited to TF2, L4D, SC2, Deep Rock Galactic and few other coop-focused games. My only exposure to MMO(RPG)s is playing Darkfall for about 20 hours ~8 years ago.

What I like about Crowfall:
* The overall gameplay structure seems appealing, but as I am still going through the PVE tutorial, I can't really comment on how well it works.
* Interesting lore and setting
* Cool selection of races and character types
* Deep crafting mechanics
* Gathering seems pretty deep and involved (although maybe this is just my lack of MMO experience)

What I didn't like
* Difficult to understand what different skills do - mostly learning by trial and error, I could not find an in-game description. Wiki is severely outdated.
* Crafting guides seem outdated and/or difficult to follow - this seems like major problem.
* Tutorial quests are extremely generic - I just click through everything. You'd think the unique setting would allow for some cooler missions.
* Crowfall really needs a comprehensive, in-depth in-game encyclopedia. The included encyclopedia is borderline unusable.
* I have a feeling that the PVE experience in no way prepares you for PVP.

Going to keep playing it for now.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Sigh... is there going to be a goon guild?

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
I think much must have changed since it's bizarre seeing so many negative comments on Crowfall, but blindly going into it and only playing for the past week I've had nothing but a super positive experience. I haven't really encountered any of the issues that have been mentioned here, and I'm thinking this might be the smoothest MMO launch I've ever been on.

Probably, the only downside has been how long the tutorial is. It covers pretty much everything, but there's a ton to cover. With the ability to boost a character to 25 (costs about 40k, maybe 2 hours of solid grinding), kinda just did the tutorial once and that boosted everything else.

PvE mob grinding just seems like a way to get gold or mats to fund other parts of the game - nothing outrageous, which I'm pretty happy with - I don't really enjoy PvE like dungeons or raiding, too many spergs and it just becomes a chore, so it's kind of a win for me. Definitely creates hotspots when open roaming.

Combat has been fun and feels good, feels like a mix between Guild Wars 1 and ESO. Having played a lot of ESO and almost exclusively spending years in Cyrodil, Crowfall is like a much better version of it. It definitely scratches the itch GW1 had with their bigger BGs and class builds - I'm really enjoying the eureka moments from tweaking builds with new synergies, as well as all the different ways you can tweak your class.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I thought it wasn’t out yet? What’s the pre-launch date time frame and early access, etc look like?

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016
I believe the launch date is July 6th.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

It's really confusing because their website says "Players who have purchased the game can stay and play til launch!" Is this early access? Are they going to wipe the servers? Does this apply if I purchase the game today? :iiam:

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Cutedge posted:

It's really confusing because their website says "Players who have purchased the game can stay and play til launch!" Is this early access? Are they going to wipe the servers? Does this apply if I purchase the game today? :iiam:

from their official forums:

On Wednesday, June 23, at 11:59 PM CDT (6:59 AM CEST), the free Beta phase of Crowfall will close. At that time, players who have purchased the game can continue playtesting through to Launch.

On Thursday, July 1, at 11:59 PM CDT (6:59 AM CEST), we will close the Beta Live Service. At this time, we will wipe all characters, items, and Eternal Kingdoms on our Live servers, as well as reset purchases. The Test server will be available and anyone that has purchased the game can play with us as we test final updates for Launch.

On Thursday, July 1, at 11 AM CDT (6:00 PM CEST), we'll begin forum maintenance that has a downtime of one day. We'll archive all threads and posts on the forums, excluding War Stories, Crows of a Feather, and Roleplay, and roll out a new Forum organization. If you feel a particular post should be preserved post here

On Tuesday, July 6, at 6 AM CDT (1 PM CEST), Crowfall will officially launch our Live service! At that point, we turn our worlds over to the Eternal Crows, who are the champions of this Universe, mercenaries to the Gods!

insider
Feb 22, 2007

Cutedge posted:

You can still play on Test to gently caress around and level instantly to 30 I believe.

July 6th is real launch.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I will have to try it again, i tried it years ago and all I remember is how sweet it was to gank some random guy then decapitate him to force release and stealing his entire stockpile of neatly organized mats that he obviously spent ages farming and leaving a single gold coin on his corpse to add insult to injury

:allears:

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
I bought this recently cause I thought it was cheap and it's actually up my alley as far as WPvP Games go.
Been loving around on the test realm in the town, and did maybe the first 1-2 hours of quests.

I don't love it, but I certainly don't hate it. The good news is that all the good things are related to what it's trying to be- WPvP MMO. All the bad things are related to what it's not trying to be- PvE Themepark.
With that all being said, the crafting is refreshing, the combat is quite solid and the depth of the class system is good enough. I am playing from Australia so until I can play it on a USWest realm at best it's always going to feel a little bit laggy.

I'm still going to play at launch, I think it potentially has something here, but time will tell- Still is cheap enough to say gently caress it though.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

This launches in like 30 hours but you'd never know if you weren't actively following it.

Zero marketing

Not on any major distribution network (seriously they couldn't even get some Epic bucks?)

Zero major streamers planning on playing (don't even think 99% know its launching)

Just :effort: . Even though this is now almost 'Live' I really hope they are only saying that to hit some sort of investor threshold to get some more money released and have an actual marketing push somewhere down the line.

I've never been less hyped for a MMO launch but feel like I have to play lol.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
lol at the old op guessing a 2017 release date

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

cathead posted:

Crowfall is billed as a “Throne War Simulator”, an exclusively PvP experience built on the concept of “persistent characters, temporary worlds”. The game will have multiple “campaign worlds” to choose from that will last a finite amount of time, with different rulesets to cater to different levels of risk and reward in PvP (such as full/partial looting, etc.). The world maps will be procedurally generated and will use some basic historical simulation to populate ruins and other points of interest. Your character progress is independent of these worlds. The campaign worlds will last anywhere from a couple weeks to months, and allow different ratios of item/resource import/export based upon their ruleset. Thus you can aim to “win” campaign worlds through various victory conditions (conquest, survival, etc.), and then move on to a fresh one with a percentage of your spoils and start all over.

The one persistent world is the Eternal Kingdoms, where each player will have their own instance to do with as they please, such as building castles, providing places to gather or trade, or storing trophies and artifacts from their conquests.

So how much of this is in the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This game is dead on arrival.