Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Yeah don't count on that. Successful conversions have been done by a small handful of insane people. There is no such thing as a kit, and it does anything but make your life simpler if the accounts on DRRiders and ThumperTalk are any indication.
Carbs don't really act up unless they're neglected or hosed with, and a CV carb on a popular bike is a pretty simple thing to deal with. Servicing carbs is not some arcane dark art that only greybeards and Slavvy hold the knowledge to, despite how many people want to make it seem like that. It's fiddly and moderately intricate, but if you can build a Lego kit following the included instructions and floss your teeth or tie your shoes by yourself, you can service a thumper carb.

Instead of EFI conversion you can also get one of these. Probably cheaper if you value your time literally at all. https://www.lectronfuelsystems.com/dr-650-kits.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I'm glad someone posted it, I've heard great things about lectron carbs but I've never ridden a bike with one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A simple question with, I've discovered, a really complicated answer I'm not able to condense down from effortpost size. Suffice it to say EFI can match carbs for part throttle response but only in finely tuned circumstances, whereas good cv carbs will do their thing automatically all the time. It's straightforward to tailor one EFI bike to one rider (just very time consuming/labour intensive), it's very difficult to mass-produce a consumer machine and prepare it enough to be excellent in all circumstances.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I might have to get a project bike at some point, for the winter or something. The most I've ever adjusted a carb are the set screws to a manuals spec, and then kept adjusting till the spark plugs looked good. Didn't realize there were more adjustments. Would be fun to learn.

Someone turned left in front of me on the streets the other day. I had to brake kinda hard.

I feel like people are worse at judging distance in a car from bikers.

If I throw on some fog lights, think it might help? I might turn them on when I'm not on the highway to give better visibility? I don't know.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 11, 2021

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Fog lights will not help anyone see you and will not prevent an accident, but if you want fog lights then go for it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I find myself rolling off the throttle in sweeping turns and finding myself hesitant to roll back on just because I’m unsure of what a safe rate to do so is sometimes. Sometimes I am sure. Seems to be by feel right now so I should probably trust the tires to an extent and also stop rolling off throttle.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I might have to get a project bike at some point, for the winter or something. The most I've ever adjusted a carb are the set screws to a manuals spec, and then kept adjusting till the spark plugs looked good. Didn't realize there were more adjustments. Would be fun to learn.

Someone turned left in front of me on the streets the other day. I had to brake kinda hard.

I feel like people are worse at judging distance in a car from bikers.

If I throw on some fog lights, think it might help? I might turn them on when I'm not on the highway to give better visibility? I don't know.

Supplementary lights are great for helping you see at night because most bikes have lovely headlights. They are utterly useless for helping other people see you and there is no technology that can do this, anyone telling you otherwise is deluded or a salesman. This includes safety vests, headlight modulators, fluoro helmets etc do whatever makes you feel better about yourself, but know that the people in the cars are simply not looking and it's on you to avoid crashes. Right of way doesn't exist, indicators don't exist, road markings don't exist. Control inputs and awareness are the only way to avoid the cars.

Martytoof posted:

I find myself rolling off the throttle in sweeping turns and finding myself hesitant to roll back on just because I’m unsure of what a safe rate to do so is sometimes. Sometimes I am sure. Seems to be by feel right now so I should probably trust the tires to an extent and also stop rolling off throttle.

You are making more work for yourself and the bike. You almost certainly don't need to roll off at all if you're going slow enough to get away with loving around like that in the first place.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Slavvy posted:

Supplementary lights are great for helping you see at night because most bikes have lovely headlights. They are utterly useless for helping other people see you and there is no technology that can do this, anyone telling you otherwise is deluded or a salesman. This includes safety vests, headlight modulators, fluoro helmets etc do whatever makes you feel better about yourself, but know that the people in the cars are simply not looking and it's on you to avoid crashes. Right of way doesn't exist, indicators don't exist, road markings don't exist. Control inputs and awareness are the only way to avoid the cars.

You are making more work for yourself and the bike. You almost certainly don't need to roll off at all if you're going slow enough to get away with loving around like that in the first place.

Reflective and fluorescent markings has shown to greatly increase your chances of being seen.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Reflective and fluorescent markings has shown to greatly increase your chances of being seen.

The takeaway I got from that was that I could dress up in sequins and still wouldn't always get noticed. I just have to get used to it and it is normal.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i never count on cars seeing me and ride accordingly. my old carbon race bicycle (that got crunched under an audi) had bright fluro bar tape and it definitely drew attention, but yah i still got hit by a car that california rolled a stop sign sent me flying and i got a nice concussion and whiplash when i landed my forehead into the pavement. in terms of bicycles its fairly common for people to run their rear blinkeys during the daytime now that everything is rechargeable. my new bicycle helmet is kind of a pearlescent black that is reflective at night. my moto helmet is black and im going to get some volvo life paint for it. cant hurt.

i still get super anxious when cars roll stop past the stop line at stop signs. :(

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I know. I think this is a result of statistical games and has no bearing on reality.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Reflective gear helps reduce a risk factor. Does that mean you won't get hit? No.

You try to reduce risk factors all the time on motorcycles in other ways. I don't know why reflective gear is treated any different. Just because you're not actively "doing" something doesn't make it not work.

It's ok to say "i don't think the marginal increase in safety is worth it to me" because x y z, without dismissing scientific evidence.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Slavvy posted:

100%

It’s usually the unknown corners I haven’t taken before that I hesitate and roll off in so it’s just a matter of being more confident I think.

Anyway, work in progress.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

Reflective gear helps reduce a risk factor. Does that mean you won't get hit? No.

You try to reduce risk factors all the time on motorcycles in other ways. I don't know why reflective gear is treated any different. Just because you're not actively "doing" something doesn't make it not work.

It's ok to say "i don't think the marginal increase in safety is worth it to me" because x y z, without dismissing scientific evidence.

No, I disagree with the entire premise. I don't think it's not worthwhile, I think it's useless in an absolute sense. I reject the idea that any visibility-increasing device within the realm of practicality makes any difference at all. I think these conclusions are based on statistical correlation, have never been experimentally tested by strapping gopro's to a bunch of commuters (if someone has done this I want to know) and only qualify as scientific evidence if you squint really hard or think bikes are like an RPG where all the 2% buffs add up.

I realize this isn't a popular view and I'm not going to discourage anyone from festooning themselves with lights and fluoro, I just don't think it's any more effective at preventing crashes than a dreamcatcher or mood ring would be.

If you're a learner wondering how to be safer from the cars, the answer is the best gear and training you can afford, and a neverending eastern-front-like vigilance. If you can afford the time and cost of putting lights and stuff on then do it, it can't hurt, but if you have limited resources it is drastically better to put them into your skill, machine or riding gear.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 11, 2021

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
E: I mostly don't consider myself superstitious but the post I just made is pushing my own limits

People wearing brightly colored or retroreflective gear get smoked just like everyone else on a bike. They're nice to haves but I think they are rarely the deciding factor between a SMIDSY and a OHMISY (that's, Oh Hey Mate I Saw You)

Phy fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 11, 2021

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

No, I disagree with the entire premise. I don't think it's not worthwhile, I think it's useless in an absolute sense. I reject the idea that any visibility-increasing device within the realm of practicality makes any difference at all. I think these conclusions are based on statistical correlation, have never been experimentally tested by strapping gopro's to a bunch of commuters (if someone has done this I want to know) and only qualify as scientific evidence if you squint really hard or think bikes are like an RPG where all the 2% buffs add up.

I realize this isn't a popular view and I'm not going to discourage anyone from festooning themselves with lights and fluoro, I just don't think it's any more effective at preventing crashes than a dreamcatcher or mood ring would be.

If you're a learner wondering how to be safer from the cars, the answer is the best gear and training you can afford, and a neverending eastern-front-like vigilance. If you can afford the time and cost of putting lights and stuff on then do it, it can't hurt, but if you have limited resources it is drastically better to put them into your skill, machine or riding gear.

Can you stop moving the goal posts maybe? No one said anything about limited resources.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok fine: bright lights and fluoro gear do nothing but make you feel better. Does that work for you?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Let me nip this in the bud by referring to the most important thing we need to focus on

Slavvy posted:

do whatever makes you feel better about yourself, but know that the people in the cars are simply not looking and it's on you to avoid crashes.

Even though I know better, there have been times when I'm in the car and come to like "Wait how much driving did I just autopilot?!". And I strictly never text/phone and drive, or DWI. Most drivers aren't even looking, and then you have loving teslas.

But yes I always run my brights during the day and keep meaning to put about 10 billion lumens of red LEDs as aux brake lights.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My theory (even when cycling) is that the more things you do to make yourself visible is only helping the people already paying attention* and doing absolutely nothing to help those staring at their phones or just aloof drivers to begin with who wouldn't notice an 18 wheeler next to them.

As my msf instructor said, just assume every car is not paying attention to you ... Including those behind you. Always put yourself in a good position.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Ok fine: bright lights and fluoro gear do nothing but make you feel better. Does that work for you?

I disagree.

I have noticed that when I'm splitting lanes, a lot more people move over for me when I'm running the high beam in the daytime than when I only use the low. Perhaps up to twice as many people. I think this means that I'm getting noticed more often when I have the brighter light on.

To be clear, most people still do not notice me or at least don't move over. But definitely more do when I have the high beam on.

I think it actually is like an RPG and the little 2% buffs do add up.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

what about...loud pipes :can:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How does the type of oil you use affect your safety :thunk:

the ultimate facebook groups motorcycle post

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

numberoneposter posted:

Loud pipes start arguments on the internet. I’ve always wanted that on a sticker.

But given the amount of times someone has nearly merged into my Dodge Challenger, I’d say there’s nothing you can do to make yourself known. If someone is going to merge into a giant rectangle with the loudest legally available exhaust note, nothing is going to help someone on two wheels. Maybe a siren. Buy a train horn and hold the button down at all times.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Loud exhausts upset my dog. He's not too jazzed about my motorcycle exhaust noise, but i'm hoping he'll associate the noise getting louder with me getting home and maybe that will make him less freaked out by fireworks and such.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

numberoneposter posted:

Loud pipes is a bunch of boomer bullshit, they have no safety benefit, if anything the aggravation factor makes you more likely to get hit, I don't think you'll find any disagreement about it on this forum.

Sagebrush posted:

I disagree.

I have noticed that when I'm splitting lanes, a lot more people move over for me when I'm running the high beam in the daytime than when I only use the low. Perhaps up to twice as many people. I think this means that I'm getting noticed more often when I have the brighter light on.

To be clear, most people still do not notice me or at least don't move over. But definitely more do when I have the high beam on.

I think it actually is like an RPG and the little 2% buffs do add up.

Your anecdotal experience says it works, mine says it doesn't, here we are. I think that any potential effect (to be clear: I'm just entertaining the idea that it does something, I remain adamant it doesn't) would be miniscule compared to the effects of skill, tyres and machinery and is not worth thinking about or pursuing. I won't go on about it, like coydog says, we all know the problem isn't usually the rider anyway.

Like, you could be a florescent elephant playing the bagpipes and you'll still get hit, because the person who ends up hitting you isn't looking.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 12, 2021

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Russian Bear posted:

Can you stop moving the goal posts maybe? No one said anything about limited resources.

the goalposts are always being shifted in favor of the gatekeepers

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Can we not rehash this argument from last month in this thread? Do it in rants or the chat thread, newbies don’t need to be subjected to another round of slavvy flagpole sitting that’s only tangential to new rider poo poo.

ehhhhhh
May 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Slavvy posted:

I read an interesting article the other day that Australia's federal WHS authority is cracking down on mandatory safety devices and clothing for delivery riders. I think they might have been mandatory before, but unenforced. Anyway I'm sure there is data on this already.

ehhhhhh fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 12, 2021

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Fluro and retroreflective devices have both been tested like Slavvy is demanding, just not with GoPros. They are both devices to (dramatically) increase contrast, and contrast is what gets peoples attention, even if it just occurs in the corner of their eye etc. This is a fairly well understood phenomenon and I don't understand how you can claim 'it does nothing'. Do blinking lights not work? Should brakelights be banned?

Why would they work everywhere else, but not in traffic?

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How does the type of oil you use affect your safety :thunk:

the ultimate facebook groups motorcycle post

1) Use cheap car oil
2) Clutch gets slippery or something, tiny friction zone
3) Death

Non MA spec oil degrades faster too or something since the oil is used for the gearbox and clutch and subject to a lot of shear forces so it's bad for the engine?

I am a newbie and I literally did Google this stuff.

It's not some sort of conspiracy to sell me 20 dollar bottles of oil right?

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 12, 2021

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

1) Use cheap car oil
2) Clutch gets slippery or something, tiny friction zone
3) Death

Non MA spec oil degrades faster too or something since the oil is used for the gearbox and clutch and subject to a lot of shear forces so it's bad for the engine?

I am a newbie and I literally did Google this stuff.

It's not some sort of conspiracy to sell me 20 dollar bottles of oil right?

The joke is that this question will come up in every motorcycle forum and everyone will have a different answer. If you doubled the time you spent Googling, you'd find the opposite answer. Tripled, you'd find someone who says they only put linseed oil in their Goldwing and it runs just fine.

Just do what the manual says.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
I've been using trail braking a lot more and it's made me more confident in corners. So much so that it makes me thing the way cornering is taught is bad?

Slow look lean roll is fine, but the whole thing about finding a line, outside inside outside, apexing etc. doesn't seem helpful, especially if you don't already know the corner. I've already had a couple close calls with debris and potholes in turns, so I'm keen to keep my brakes loaded. In longer turns, I just keep a steady lane position through the turn instead of trying to find the apex. I'm sure it's less efficient, but I think it gives me a larger margin for correction and reaction in city riding.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

T Zero posted:

I've been using trail braking a lot more and it's made me more confident in corners. So much so that it makes me thing the way cornering is taught is bad?

Slow look lean roll is fine, but the whole thing about finding a line, outside inside outside, apexing etc. doesn't seem helpful, especially if you don't already know the corner. I've already had a couple close calls with debris and potholes in turns, so I'm keen to keep my brakes loaded. In longer turns, I just keep a steady lane position through the turn instead of trying to find the apex. I'm sure it's less efficient, but I think it gives me a larger margin for correction and reaction in city riding.

The way cornering is taught IS bad, I've posted about this before and it's an ongoing thing that tumbles around and around in my head. SLLR is a technique that is guaranteed to work on all bikes, almost all corners and requires no understanding to use. Trail braking requires understanding the throttle rule and how traction changes with fore-aft pitching. Generally SLLR will give you a faster average speed from start of the corner to finish, but gives you basically no options in the middle of the corner and forces you into geometrically restrictive lines.

Trail braking gives you more vee-shaped lines, you spend much less time at high lean angles in the middle of the corner, you go slower right in the middle of the corner but are able to brake and accelerate stronger. Because you're braking deep, if something happens mid-corner you have more options because the front tyre and fork are already loaded. Imo this is more suited to the turns you find in an urban setting.

Looking for the 'right' line is another shortcut that's taught in place of actual understanding. Commit to the throttle rule above all else and the lines become automatic. Lines are a consequence of doing things right but they're presented as karate katas you must adhere to for reasons. If you focus on following the throttle rule and maximizing traction on the tyre you're using at any given time, you stop thinking of lines as a prison you ride within and start thinking of them as poetry you write with the throttle and brake.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Can you refresh my memory on what exactly the throttle rule is?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

Can you refresh my memory on what exactly the throttle rule is?

Slavvy posted:

Ok it is really simple.

The tyre has a grip of 100. When you're braking or accelerating at the maximum (so WOT or back wheel lifting basically) and you're upright, 100 grips are being used for the job.

Leaning the tyre automatically uses some of the grips to generate a turning force. If you attempt to lean while using 100 on braking, even a little bit, you'll crash immediately (or rather, the tyre will lose traction and you're in the hands of Zeus) because you're trying to use more grips than you have.

So if you're adding lean angle, you need to be taking away throttle or brake force. If you're removing lean angle, you have more grip to use for braking or gassing.

You can see how a lot of bad lines become immediately unviable because they demand that you remove throttle in the middle of the corner, or add throttle while adding lean angle, or attempting to brake when already at maximum lean (shutting the throttle is pretty much the same thing).

Then you combine this with the effect pitching has in grip and you have a pretty much complete general theory of bike handling. If you're slowing, you load the front tyre using the brake, keeping the load optimal by gradually reducing brake pressure as you turn. If you're accelerating, you load the tyre using the throttle and keep it optimally loaded by adding more throttle as you remove lean angle.

This is why coasting on a shut throttle is dumb and lazy. You're asking the front tyre to turn the whole bike but not loading it at all using the brake so you have far less than 100 grips to do the job.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Today was one of those days where everything felt like it fell into place, I was taking corners confidently, felt comfortable at highway speeds, no real anxiety to speak of. Didn’t roll off my throttle in turns but also didn’t take turns at like 10kph, didn’t really lug the motor excessively, etc.

Which means tomorrow the opposite will be true and I’ll forget how to countersteer.

Anyway, now to remember this feeling and do it again and again. Every day. For the rest of my life :ohdear:

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I was having a similar issue to you, but entering a turn without throttle.

If I am approaching a turn onto like a side road it might go one of 3 ways

1) Engine braking until second or third gear, arrive at a an appropriate entry speed and take the turn, rolling on the throttle

2) Stop, wait for traffic, roll the throttle and take the turn

3) Little to no engine braking, mostly gradual brake pressure till entry speed is achieved.

Number 3 is when I have some issues, sometimes I start the turn with the clutch in and I'm like how do I rev match to let the throttle back in? If I'm not perfect my turn will be sloppy.

I know the fix, I need to have engine power by the time I start the turn. Just gotta work on timing a little.

I think I need to mix engine braking and regular braking a little bit too? I don't mix them much right now.

Engine braking alone means a longer slow down period to a turn...unless I'm like engine breaking at 8k rpm in second which seems mean to the engine.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 13, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Number 3 is when I have some issues, sometimes I start the turn with the clutch in and I'm like how do I rev match to let the throttle back in? If I'm not perfect my turn will be sloppy.

My biggest fear is that it won’t just be sloppy, it’ll be jerky because that’s what 1st and 2nd on my 650 feel like, and I’ll just jerk the tire such that it completely breaks loose, even with my slipper clutch :q:

But since I started modulating with the clutch I’ve had much less fear of adjusting SOME throttle roll-on mid-turn.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

What are the best places to buy gear (specifically jackets and helmets) online? Stock is tough on a lot of things and there are a lot of sketch sites with low prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

magiccarpet posted:

What are the best places to buy gear (specifically jackets and helmets) online? Stock is tough on a lot of things and there are a lot of sketch sites with low prices.

Revzilla