Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A thousandth of world population is still seven and two-thirds million people.

New Zealand and Australia are contributing maybe a third to half of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
e: haha gently caress I can't math

Splicer has a new favorite as of 19:00 on Jun 11, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Platystemon posted:

A cylindrical projection is the only reasonable option. Lines of latitude must remain level across the image or the whole concept fails. Pseudocylindrical projections would work for horizontal stripes but not vertical ones.

A case could be made for an equal-area projection (inc. the infamous Gall projection), but equirectangular, for consistent latitude–pixel correspondence, is a fine choice.
It's a chart using raw population numbers displayed by area, of course you need an equal area projection. This is the absolute, possibly only, textbook use case for gall-peters.

It would still have problems, e: whoops but not that! That was lies and they're gone

Splicer has a new favorite as of 18:22 on Jun 11, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What if I want to know if there are more people living at one latitude or another? With equirectangular, I can just compare the size of the lines. With Gall-Peters, line thickness is influenced both by latitude and population.

There’s no value in an equal-area projection. Trying to understand density is a lost cause cause. For one thing, there are different amounts of water at each latitude.

That gives me an idea for a delightfully devilish map: there’s a continuously-varying vertical stretch so that every second of latitude has the same land area. :unsmigghh:

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
you want a real hosed up projection/population map?

go with the polar projection as a pie chart :getin:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The stripey maps are in this thread because they’re bad versions of these maps:

The only nice thing I can say about the horizontal stripey one is that it’s easier to track a line across the graph. With the one above, it can be hard to tell which cities are contributing to each peak.

That last one should use an equal-area projection, and there’s no reason to make it cylindrical.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Mercator is the only good projection though

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

:brainworms:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

Reported for trolling

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Obviously this is the best one

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

Honestly, it's a really good illustration of just how hosed up the Mercator projection is to Americans who have t seen anything else really. Antarctica is (mostly) properly scaled, as are Greenland and Africa, while familiar regions like South America are rendered unrecognizable

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

When you're at the Wendy's drivethru and you accidentally order a Large Chile

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Phy posted:

:golfclap:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

steinrokkan posted:

Weird way to spell Kavrayskiy VII

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Phy posted:

:vince:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Phy posted:

:five:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Phy posted:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Phy posted:

:holymoley:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/ebeggin1/status/1403164568290041857?s=21

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Filipino square is just wrong.

Spanish is spoken by something like one in two hundred Filipinos today.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The Something Awful Forums > Main > Post Your Favorite (or Request): I'm existing just for listing!!! > PYF awful/funny graphs and charts: I accidentally ordered a Large Chile

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
when you accidentally order a Chile relleno

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 01:59 on Jun 12, 2021

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

PittTheElder posted:

Weird way to spell Kavrayskiy VII

wrong way to spell euler spiral

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O2CBgWshiM

Dymaxion is the coolest, though the butterfly and quincuncial are pretty great too.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

ScienceSeagull posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O2CBgWshiM

Dymaxion is the coolest, though the butterfly and quincuncial are pretty great too.

why does that video exist?

the comic in its original form with all text visible at once and no animations or music:
https://xkcd.com/977/

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The animations are neat.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The animations do a good job of showing how much the projections are actually distorting the landmasses.
Honestly it might be a better question to ask why it's animating the Xkcd comic rather than proper maps.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
An interesting part of global warming is we're all going to die we're going to have to start paying attention to what Antarctica actually looks like.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Splicer posted:

An interesting part of global warming is we're all going to die we're going to have to start paying attention to what Antarctica actually looks like.

The entrance to the Elder Things' chambers should be opening up any day now!

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Splicer posted:

It's still dark half the year, and light the other half. I guess people live in northern Norway, but it's gotta be depressing for half the year.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

They used to be correct, then they weren't. Good times.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I can't think of a more appropriate position for the US flag than on the middle finger

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

jeebus bob posted:

why does that video exist?

the comic in its original form with all text visible at once and no animations or music:
https://xkcd.com/977/

the animations make it instantly clear how the continents are being distorted by the projection, its actually pretty cool

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

I wish it had polls from every five years. It'd be interesting to see the changes from 1945 on, if it ever went the other direction or was just always USSR → USA.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

Splicer posted:

I think we're gonna be fine, Antarctica is nearly half the earth's surface! That's plenty of ice.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Interestingly, in Sweden it would be mandatory to turn into the right-hand lane since that's the "base travel lane". (Except if the lanes are signposted to different destinations.)

We just had a change in the rules, and before it was always mandatory to use the leftmost lane when turning left, now it is only recommended.

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.
https://twitter.com/Ahsha_Safai/status/1392935582783868930

"The numbers speak for themselves," I write, posting a chart with 4 cartoon robbers

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Gizmo Chicken posted:

https://twitter.com/Ahsha_Safai/status/1392935582783868930

"The numbers speak for themselves," I write, posting a chart with 4 cartoon robbers

“Extrapolating out, by 2028 our stores will be 99% cartoon robbers by volume”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Capt.Whorebags posted:

“Extrapolating out, by 2028 our stores will be 99% cartoon robbers by volume”

Anime crime is the worst of crimes.