Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Looks like a four week delay on the next stage of the pandemic roadmap due to things about to pop off again.

The right choice since the government still haven't implemented the capacity for effective regional controls but I'm starting to wonder what happens if the loving idiots end up rolling it into winter flu season again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i am increasingly dyslexic or a wishful thinker but I read that as an enforced four day week. poo poo.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i am increasingly dyslexic or a wishful thinker but I read that as an enforced four day week. poo poo.

:same:

I was preparing myself for another example of "it's Crazy Maoist Communism when Jemeery Korbin proposes it but Common Sense That Gives People What They Want And Another Brexit Bonus when Boris does it" madness

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

namesake posted:

Either should be acceptable if you're asking about a work policy. You probably won't have to prove you're a member if you're just talking about general work things, you'd have to prove it if you were wanting union support for a grievance.

Cheers, I'll drop them an email on monday. There's a bunch of us who are pissed off about this (we are more lab based so we can't work from home, and the new policy is obviously geared to people who can) so hopefully I can get some answers.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

suck my woke dick posted:

:agreed:

I'd hate to live in an anarchist society where I have to deal with gammons and busybody boomers.

tbh it sounds great, since in my ideal anarchist society any dealing with gammons and busybody boomers will be restricted to offering them a cigarette and blindfold

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
yep them first

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/brfreed/status/1403415150045052934?s=19

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Sure this is still one of the funniest things I've ever seen

The weapon in question is a nuclear device btw

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

captain planet cornered by a Guinness slick helplessly making GBS threads out 4 leaf clovers. tune in next week

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
If anyone wants a bit more incentive to sign up for vaccination stewarding, shifts are starting to open up at places that were previously impossible to get into. There's tons of slots at the Science Museum and Wembley, and they've just opened up London Stadium and The Valley as new centres - I think I'm going to try and do a bit of ground hopping and get to all the London football stadiums that run a vaccination centre.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My employer is recording a minor uptick in the number of inpatients with a positive Covid test, but the number of patients with Covid needing enhanced care is increasing (albeit still in single digits).

[edit]
Also, I'm continuing to see fewer and fewer people wearing masks on the Tube in particular.
I did see a bus driver tell some teenagers they couldn't get on his bus because they weren't wearing masks, which is fair enough and something I'd like to see more of them doing.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If anyone wants a bit more incentive to sign up for vaccination stewarding, shifts are starting to open up at places that were previously impossible to get into. There's tons of slots at the Science Museum and Wembley, and they've just opened up London Stadium and The Valley as new centres - I think I'm going to try and do a bit of ground hopping and get to all the London football stadiums that run a vaccination centre.

I'm not totally sure spreading yourself as far and wide as you can as a vaccination steward is entirely on pandemic brand.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

kingturnip posted:

My employer is recording a minor uptick in the number of inpatients with a positive Covid test, but the number of patients with Covid needing enhanced care is increasing (albeit still in single digits).

[edit]
Also, I'm continuing to see fewer and fewer people wearing masks on the Tube in particular.
I did see a bus driver tell some teenagers they couldn't get on his bus because they weren't wearing masks, which is fair enough and something I'd like to see more of them doing.

Yeah, apart from a stronger immune system, one of the reasons that younger people weren't so badly affected earlier is that many were furloughed or working from home. Now that places are opening up and workplaces are adopting a hybrid pattern, the numbers of very ill patients will rise.

I am noticing a lot of chin-hammocks going on, and the few brave souls persevering with the track and trace app aren't bothering to quarantine for the full fortnight if they get a negative test result after being told they were exposed. If there is to be an extension, then the PM better announce it soon so that people have time digest that information, otherwise there will be mass non-compliance.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
The delta variant is more transmissible and affects younger people more and seems to be less affected by vaccines. It’s frankly rather worrying. The government should put the brakes on loosening things up or we are heading for another wave.

Jesus. Whether it was deliberate or just another example of this government being cavalier that’s a tremendous gently caress you.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

The only reasoning I can think of for that present is a deliberate "gently caress you". "Hey remember when you guys still had slavery after we'd abolished it?"

He's trying to play for his home audience to talk up how non-racist Britane is. A play exactly as well thought-through as the Road to Mandalay.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

yeah but a print out from wikipedia is a bit poo poo its mums birthday in two days what am I getting?!?!?!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm not totally sure spreading yourself as far and wide as you can as a vaccination steward is entirely on pandemic brand.

On the contrary, for this country, it's *entirely* on brand.

(FWIW I'm doing lateral-flow tests basically every day now, plus the occasional PCR test, and of course am masked and distanced and - in this weather - am literally elbowing people out the way for the outdoor posts)

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

namesake posted:

Looks like a four week delay on the next stage of the pandemic roadmap due to things about to pop off again.

The right choice since the government still haven't implemented the capacity for effective regional controls but I'm starting to wonder what happens if the loving idiots end up rolling it into winter flu season again.

Not sure what your basing this on?

The governments last message was 'no new lockdown' under any circumstances. All the press is firmly in the 'No delay camp' The general public seem to be 'done' with lockdown. Pubs want to make bank off the Euros. The UK seems to have just decided risking a couple thousand more long-covid cases and a small number of further deaths is acceptable and baked them in. Boris isn't going to be seen botching the 'landing'.

We might even get away with it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

The only reasoning I can think of for that present is a deliberate "gently caress you". "Hey remember when you guys still had slavery after we'd abolished it?"

He's trying to play for his home audience to talk up how non-racist Britane is. A play exactly as well thought-through as the Road to Mandalay.
It sounds more like the end result of many government departments being replaced by people that just don't care than anything else.

A deliberate gently caress you in the British tradition ought to involve multiple 300 year old references that only massive weirds get, this just seems like lazy last minute scrambling if it is what happened.

If it is supposed to be 'clever' then it's a type of clever that nobody other than his immediate office team wanted to go along with.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Every day there's a different source leaking a different story. Johnson obviously hasn't decided yet and probably won't until 5.45pm on Monday.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

lol loving hell, they are really masters of diplomacy.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Isn't this the reverse of when the Queen gave some special hand crafted historic/symbolic pen to Obama and he gave her some region locked DVDs in exchange?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

e: ^^^^that was Gordon Brown. He gave the Queen a nice brooch, planting the seeds for her later EPIC BURN against Trump

Guavanaut posted:

this just seems like lazy last minute scrambling
Ah, the Classic Boris

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 11, 2021

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Isn't the real joke that he would have to pay up about four and a half grand to keep it, and can't because he's tapped out and the flat fiasco scared off all the donors?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JoylessJester posted:

Isn't this the reverse of when the Queen gave some special hand crafted historic/symbolic pen to Obama and he gave her some region locked DVDs in exchange?
Pretty sure that if she can keep her nonce son safe from the FBI she could get a region unlocked Panasonic to play all those 00s frat comedies.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

JoylessJester posted:

Not sure what your basing this on?

The governments last message was 'no new lockdown' under any circumstances. All the press is firmly in the 'No delay camp' The general public seem to be 'done' with lockdown. Pubs want to make bank off the Euros. The UK seems to have just decided risking a couple thousand more long-covid cases and a small number of further deaths is acceptable and baked them in. Boris isn't going to be seen botching the 'landing'.

We might even get away with it.

Just twitter rumours but the FTs numbers are already showing case increases similar to the November wave across the country and deaths are coming from fully vaccinated people so there's no completely safe end game to rush towards.

I was a bit surprised they didn't balk at the last date though, so maybe they'll just power on through and hope they can ride it out.

namesake fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 11, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i dont think theres much pr hit for the government to take over delaying. And even if there was it would just mean a 5 point jump in their polling.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
As someone who was pretty anxious about it last year I really am beginning to get the point where I think the mental health outcomes of further lockdowns might well outweigh the damage done by another modest spike amongst a mostly vaccinated population. If we'd gone full strict shutdown with no exceptions for a bit like China did in wuhan, that would have been fair enough, and we'd have been through it and back to normal by now like they are. Our approach of intermittent confused, half arsed lockdowns with a million exceptions is basically pointless as long term strategy. You simply cannot put an entire country in house arrest for years on end without serious consequences, especially for people who live alone or in lovely situations, and that does need to be considered and weighed up.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ThomasPaine posted:

As someone who was pretty anxious about it last year I really am beginning to get the point where I think the mental health outcomes of further lockdowns might well outweigh the damage done by another modest spike amongst a mostly vaccinated population. If we'd gone full strict shutdown with no exceptions for a bit like China did in wuhan, that would have been fair enough, and we'd have been through it and back to normal by now like they are. Our approach of intermittent confused, half arsed lockdowns with a million exceptions is basically pointless as long term strategy. You simply cannot put an entire country in house arrest for years on end without serious consequences, especially for people who live alone or in lovely situations, and that does need to be considered and weighed up.

I'm kind of with this. I get the feeling that Johnson won't go backwards under any circumstances. We're mostly vaccinated now and he had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the last lockdown (when people were dying in the thousands). So pubs, restaurants and stadiums aren't likely to close their doors again unless things go spectacularly wrong, and even then it'll be too late like it has been every other time. So you start to wonder what the point of the rest of it is.

From a purely selfish perspective my wedding was postponed for the third time and we picked a date very soon after the 21st not realising we'd lucked into the promised 'end of lockdown' date. The last month or so has been utterly poo poo, basically having no idea what we will or won't be allowed to do on our wedding day and not knowing which - if any - of the plans we've made will actually amount to anything. Walking past pubs full of hundreds of people while we may not be able to have more than 30 even if we moved it all outdoors is maddening.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

As I understand it, due to vaccinations the majority of spread at the moment is in schools and workplaces amongst younger, unvaccinated people, and even going back one or two stages back into lockdowns is not going to do much to change that.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/sh44sti/status/1403113048160837637

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/OzKaterji/status/1403020291333410823?s=20

Corbyn destroyed Labour for all time. Recovery is impossible.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Remember when people set up auto-complete so it would introduce Liam Fox with the phrase "disgraced former defence secretary"? They should do one for Oz Katerji where is says "former Daily Mail writer".

Say what you want about Corbyn but at least he didn't get paid by the newspaper that supported Hitler.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Nonsense posted:

https://twitter.com/OzKaterji/status/1403020291333410823?s=20

Corbyn destroyed Labour for all time. Recovery is impossible.

replies are cursed

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

mediaphage posted:

replies are cursed

https://twitter.com/JackLubner/status/1403012597402701831?s=20

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

stev posted:

Every day there's a different source leaking a different story. Johnson obviously hasn't decided yet and probably won't until 5.45pm on Monday.

Boris currently writing two speeches, one where he announces the end of restrictions and one where he extends them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pistol_Pete posted:

Boris currently writing two speeches, one where he announces the end of restrictions and one where he extends them.

Just wait til he mixes up his notes and does half of each

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Boris writes his own speeches?

Hahahahaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

crispix posted:

i think getting good support from a union depends on who you have locally. my union rep was worse than useless. i would have been okay with merely useless, like if she'd just taken notes like she was supposed to but she actually started speaking against me at a meeting we were at because she wanted to ingratiate herself to the managers lol

yknow if your workplace has a recognition agreement they have to pay you for taking time off for rep qualifications.

(I would say contact steward first and include your membership number, if the officer or legal's opinion is needed the steward should get on that quickly anyway)