Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Maybe someone said it but there's a basic idea that I'm not sure is clear. You either accept their offer and sign it, or you send them a counter offer and they decide if they want to sign it. There's kind of a third option where your realtor informally communicates a change that they could make that would induce you to sign a (new) offer from them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Motronic posted:

Fire your agent. JFC.

And since you definitely signed a contract saying you can't do that for months hire a real estate attorney. Now. Don't accept this offer until you've talked to one.

I think it says I can drop them for any reason at any time for free; I just can't use a buyer they connected me with or something after doing that. That being said, I'm working through a relocation company so I'm not sure how that affects things here. Based on how his response to what I wrote below goes, we'll see if I have to pursue that or not.

I talked to two other realtors that I know through friends (not the same market though, unfortunately) and they seemed to think that while the realtor could/should provide me with more information, that they suspected the offer was sound and they don't see why I shouldn't entertain it.

I also called a friend who is a lawyer (though he doesn't focus on real estate law) and he said that while I should probably go find my own lawyer to review a contract, that it shouldn't hurt anything to see what's written up and have it reviewed either by him or someone I hire. (I'll definitely hire someone). I did pull up what appears to be a boilerplate real estate contract for Northern IL (not my market, but close to it) and I don't see anything there about auto-adjusting the sale price to an appraised price.

So, I texted the realtor and said "Let's go ahead and move forward with the offer we've discussed. I'll want to review the written contract before signing anything, of course, but I think we can move forward here." We'll see what he has to say to that.

Verman posted:

It's sounds to me like they're trying to take easy street to just get this house sold and get paid. A good realtor should be explaining the pros and cons of every offer with you and not trying to make the decision for you but give you enough information to help you decide on which offer YOU want to accept.

I think he probably is just trying to move it quick, yeah. Which, while I don't HATE that idea, I also don't want to be on the hook for something dumb.

Verman posted:

But also keep in mind while you'll hear stories of houses going 20-30% over asking with all contingencies waived, 30+ offers etc ... Those might be in hotter markets like Seattle/bay area etc. The market as a whole is on fire but your specific area may vary. You might want to browse Zillow/redfin to find some comps currently for sale and then change the filter for houses that recently sold. That can give you an idea of how things are going in your area.

Yeah; I'm 100% aware that my market isn't as hot as what I see in this thread, so I'm not looking for anything insane. I'd be happy with asking, of course; 5% over is great as well! I just don't want to lock myself into something where if it comes back 15% under list/offer, that I just have to take it without even asking the buyer to see what they can do to make up the shortfall. That seems dumb.

Verman posted:

Do you guys have an open house planned? I preferred private showings for the privacy and ability to look through the house alone but open houses gave us the flexibility to go see several in a day and not have any commitment if we couldn't make it.

So far, no open house. I figured if the realtor wanted one/felt it needed one, he would set it up. The scheduling system they have seems pretty slick, and it seems like I'm getting a few showings a day. Maybe I should have asked for one?

Fake edit: he said that he's busy for a few hours, the buyer said they would be fine waiting, and my agent will get me the documents this afternoon so I can review and sign.

Time to call some attorneys, I suppose!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Epitope posted:

Maybe someone said it but there's a basic idea that I'm not sure is clear. You either accept their offer and sign it, or you send them a counter offer and they decide if they want to sign it. There's kind of a third option where your realtor informally communicates a change that they could make that would induce you to sign a (new) offer from them

Yeah, I think I was concerned that I was locking myself in too early or something, perhaps. I initially was under the impression that if I accepted an offer, and the appraisal came in low, that I might be stuck with that. Then I talked to some people and they said that no, I'm signing an offer for $X, and if they can't pony up $X one way or another, I can walk (but won't get to keep earnest money). However, those people also said that earnest money in this market is peanuts and I shouldn't even concern myself with it. Joke's on them, I am not as flush with cash as they probably are so those numbers are still significant to me :v:

However, after talking to the realtor again, he was making it sound like I WOULD be locked into the appraisal price. So I called some other people and they said they're 99% sure that he is wrong/misinformed and just assuming that I'll do that, and if that truly IS in the contract then I can have that struck.

So I told the realtor to go ahead and ship me the papers so I can see what I'm looking at.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You haven't even seen the offer? :psyduck:

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

/\/\/\ seriously lol

If a home gets appraised other lenders (representing other buyers) can choose to shorten up the whole process and save folks some money/stress by relying on that old appraisal, if it was conducted relatively recently. This is what we did on our place. Those are all choices though and the cost of appraisal is usually baked into the closing costs for each buyer.

On the FHA side, you might ask your REA to ask the buyer's REA to ask their client if they have sufficient reserves to cover an appraisal shortfall - should it occur. It's not bullet-proof or anything, but their response might give you more information to rely on.

FHA loans are 15-20% of all home purchases, so they're not exactly rare or totally unknown entities.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

reddit: I make 77k/year, can I afford this 375k house?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

actionjackson posted:

Do you have a trust fund?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Zarin posted:

OF COURSE the forums die while I'm using them to make an important decision lol (what a sad sentence)

I'm pretty sure the house is FHA compliant; we were looking at FHA when we bought the place, and all the things I was aware of (peeling paint, handrails, etc.) it met. We repainted the whole place, so I can say for certain that there isn't any peeling paint anywhere on it.

That being said, if it's not possible for an FHA buyer to cover an appraisal gap, then that concerns me; I have no idea what appraisals in our market are doing. Now I'm wondering if that's some sort of game FHA buyers can play, where offering over list costs them nothing?

What also concerns me is that I don't have a lot of showings booked over the weekend, either.

I'm going to tell you to take the offer unless you get another one soon.

I've lived in 2 to 3 company towns before. Topeka, KS and surrounding area is a decent example. Many people there work for Frito Lay, Mars (used to be Payless before they left), or Home Depot, generally make somewhere in the teens dollar an hour type wages. Almost everyone there is using an FHA loan, or USDA Rural development loans. If you limit yourself to conventional financing, you're going to eliminate a lot of potential buyers, especially at your price point.

IOwnCalculus posted:

FHA loans come with so many contingencies on their own that I wouldn't really put anything into what the buyer is waiving in their offer - the conditions for a FHA loan take precedence over anything the buyer says.

$5% over list with FHA wouldn't even get my attention as a seller in this market, because you're asking for financing to fall through and having to start the whole process over again.

OP lives in central illinois, in a 2-3 company town. This isn't a major metro area or the coast. He's selling a 110K house in a small-mid size town.

OP, you're being relocated to Chicago right? The name of the game is selling the house. Take whatever reasonable offer comes across and go forth on the next chapter of your life.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Zarin posted:

Yeah okay so that wasn't helpful . . . he claims that the bog-standard contract in the area is written that the seller will just lower the price to the appraised value.

Jesus christ, then there'd be absolutely no reason to not offer $Texas if you know it's not going to actually appraise for more than ~$FMV. Now, I wouldn't be surprised if in some cases the seller chooses to just eat the loss to keep the sale going, but I'd never (as a seller) do a deal where the appraisal automatically lowered the sale price without any opportunity to just walk.

The only contingencies I've seen around appraisals have been around being able to walk away from the deal (as a buyer) without losing your earnest money if the appraisal comes in too low to keep the lender happy / keep the buyer solvent on a down payment. The first house I offered on I lost because the other buyer who matched ours on dollar amount was willing to waive that and I wasn't.

edit: skipdogg, I get where you're coming from but all the same it seems like taking the first FHA offer that shows up and running with it less than a week into things is a bit quick. If the number looks good and you don't end up with an automatic price adjustment clause, then maybe.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Epitope posted:

You haven't even seen the offer? :psyduck:

Nope, so far all he's done is briefly tell me about it over the phone, with a "This is pretty strong, and you haven't had any others, you should take it". Like, the house has been on the market for 2 days, I'm not overly surprised that this is the first one! On the other hand, the market isn't super hot, so I have no idea when the next one will come along.

At first I was under the impression that by verbally accepting the offer I was agreeing to anything and everything in the contract (that I hadn't seen yet) but my lawyer buddy was like "nah you can walk away from anything you haven't signed" so that helped a bit.

For the moment, I'm still not sure if the "this offer expires at 3pm" would have included me signing the paperwork or not, but the realtor came back saying that the buyers are fine waiting until 1). My realtor can get the paperwork to me and 2). I review and sign. So I'm not sure if that 3pm deadline ever included signing or not. I'm not sure if I'll get a deadline to review/sign by! At any rate, I'm putting out feelers for a lawyer haha, though my lawyer buddy has offered to at least look it over for me if I can't find someone fast enough.

skipdogg posted:

I'm going to tell you to take the offer unless you get another one soon.

I've lived in 2 to 3 company towns before. Topeka, KS and surrounding area is a decent example. Many people there work for Frito Lay, Mars (used to be Payless before they left), or Home Depot, generally make somewhere in the teens dollar an hour type wages. Almost everyone there is using an FHA loan, or USDA Rural development loans. If you limit yourself to conventional financing, you're going to eliminate a lot of potential buyers, especially at your price point.

OP lives in central illinois, in a 2-3 company town. This isn't a major metro area or the coast. He's selling a 110K house in a small-mid size town.

OP, you're being relocated to Chicago right? The name of the game is selling the house. Take whatever reasonable offer comes across and go forth on the next chapter of your life.

Correct on all points, and I'm leaning that way as well - get it sold for something I'm happy with and move on. And I think I'd be "happy with" a relatively wide range of sale prices. That being said, we did put in a ton of effort into it to get it to that $110k price point, so I don't want to just dump it for bottom dollar, either.

My only real fear at this point - and while I recognize this is stupid - is that if it appraises for something closer to the Zestimate (77k) that the contract is going to - somehow? - force me to take that. The more I talk to people, the more I think that is probably an insane thing to think, but when I asked that question to the realtor he made it sound like that was in the contract and it's a completely normal thing. I'm starting to wonder if he didn't just misunderstand a question, or I misunderstood him. I'll know more when I see it in writing.

This is being exacerbated by the fact that my realtor seems wholly disinterested in helping me understand anything and just wants me to sign poo poo. He already suggested that it'd take me "5-10 minutes" to sign the documents to get it listed, which . . . would be true, if I wasn't reading anything. It took a couple hours of reading and asking a few questions before I completed the process.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 11, 2021

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

IOwnCalculus posted:

Jesus christ, then there'd be absolutely no reason to not offer $Texas if you know it's not going to actually appraise for more than ~$FMV. Now, I wouldn't be surprised if in some cases the seller chooses to just eat the loss to keep the sale going, but I'd never (as a seller) do a deal where the appraisal automatically lowered the sale price without any opportunity to just walk.

The only contingencies I've seen around appraisals have been around being able to walk away from the deal (as a buyer) without losing your earnest money if the appraisal comes in too low to keep the lender happy / keep the buyer solvent on a down payment. The first house I offered on I lost because the other buyer who matched ours on dollar amount was willing to waive that and I wasn't.

edit: skipdogg, I get where you're coming from but all the same it seems like taking the first FHA offer that shows up and running with it less than a week into things is a bit quick. If the number looks good and you don't end up with an automatic price adjustment clause, then maybe.

Yeah, I'm not sure now if somehow there was a miscommunication somewhere, because some sort of auto-adjustment clause sounds insane. Maybe he thought I meant the buyer could walk or something, I don't really know now. And since it seems like he's been in a hurry to get me off the phone every time I've talked to him today, I'm not feeling great about it heh.

The other realtors I called for a second and third opinion seemed to think that if the buyer is coming in with an FHA loan at 5% above asking while waiving all closing assistance, they are probably solvent enough to make the deal happen.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 11, 2021

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

actionjackson posted:

The r/realestate subreddit is nuts. Constant goldmine of content.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Well I contacted the (purported) owner of the lot I'm interested in. It's 100X100, in a residential neighborhood, next to my son's house. The neighbors are all bumming about some outfit buying it & building a horrible POS on it.

He's supposed to send me enough documentation so I can check with the county clerk's office & confirm that he owns it, and that there are no liens/back taxes etc. I have access to cash, so if all else goes well (gently caress off, Murphy) then I'll try to find a lawyer that can do the transaction & file the correct paperwork with everyone.

He's asking $30K. He sounds like a RE investor who is bailing on a lot he can't afford to build on while his costs on his other investment properties skyrocket. Since I'll be offering the full amount in cash, we'll see what kind of offer he'll accept.

We shall see.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

actionjackson posted:

Yes with a roommate and no student loans and no kids.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
What documents should I expect and save after buying a house? Like it's there an actual paper deed or title I need to put in a safe and hold on to like with me car? Or is all that with the county recorder office?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

spwrozek posted:

Just a gut check here but the local mortgage guy with $1000's in APR fees ($2300), non APR costs ($2400), and Points ($1600) is just me paying unnecessary money right? These online places that are pretty much flat fee, no points, and better rate are the way to go?

This is from yesterday but I didn't see anyone go more into the specifics. Many online lenders will have some or all of the same fees even if they don't show you them in ads upfront. Really you are shopping on the overall costs and rate, with a higher rate you can get a lender credit for the points, to offset some of these fixed costs. The APR factors most of these costs in, but you can't just compare APR because some lenders can be omitting certain costs, or have inaccurate figures that you will need to pay. You should shop around and get multiple good faith estimates and compare them line by line. If a lender won't give you an estimate they are probably hiding something. You can ask the local guy to match the best one. You won't really know if the current lender is competitive without shopping around, if those fees are normal to get the rate you were quoted. Also the fees can change some until you lock it in.

actionjackson posted:

This is realistic with current interest rates. With 10% down, no other debt that is about 32% DTI. A $2k payment on $4.5k take home.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

actionjackson posted:

This, but unironically and also the house is $425k.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Update: sorry for blowing up the thread today everyone, thanks for the great advice!

Read through the documents, had my lawyer buddy read through it; nothing spooky. I have NO IDEA what the realtor was talking about w/r/t the appraisal, because this all seems pretty bog-standard as I would expect:

Contract posted:

Buyer shall, at Buyer's expense, have twenty-one (21) days after the date of acceptance within which to obtain an appraisal of the Premises by a disinterested appraiser. If the appraisal is less than the purchase price and Buyer serves a copy of the appraisal to Seller in the manner provided in the Contract within the aforementioned twenty-one (21) day period, this Contract shall be terminated and the earnest money returned to Buyer, unless the Seller elects to accept in writing the appraised price as the purchase price, or the parties mutually agree on a purchase price within five (5) days after Buyer's notice.
IF BUYER FAILS TO SERVE SUCH NOTICE ON SELLER WITHIN SUCH TIME, OR IF THE APPRAISAL EQUALS OR EXCEEDS THE PURCHASE PRICE STATED IN THE CONTRACT, THE CONTRACT SHALL REMAIN IN EFFECT.

So yeah, if the appraisal comes in low then the buyer can walk, unless I agree to a lower price or something. I'm sure I'd probably ask them to see if they have cash on hand to cover the shortfall, but beyond that, it isn't requiring me to accept a lower offer or anything. :shrug:

I ended up accepting the offer, as it was over asking and there was nothing spooky in there. I guess I'll find out if that was a bad idea soon enough. I figure my worst-case scenario here is that the house is off the market for three weeks.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Not knowing how appraisals work is huge red flag for an REA. Hopefully your deal will go easy so the agent doesn't have opportunity to gently caress things up.

Welp, title company called and we're recorded. My newfangled internet lender came through with the money so that one big worry was unfounded. Since we're doing a rent back we won't actually get the keys or the home for a few weeks. Weird feeling. Kind of adds to the vague uneasiness of buying a house in these tumultuous times. Even one I really like.

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 12, 2021

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Not knowing how appraisals work is huge red flag for an REA. Hopefully your deal will go easy so the agent doesn't have opportunity to gently caress things up.

Yeah; so far, everything seems like it would have been fine if I had not asked any questions and had just open-palm-slammed the "sign" button on DocuSign. So maybe he knows what he is doing.

Still, I would have appreciated it if he didn't make my questions seem like a chore. :sigh:

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
nah that's not fine

That's fine for them to shove the deal through ASAP to get their commission. Quantity beats quality. They're not going to bust rear end to get you an extra few bucks because that translates to peanuts for them, especially compared to the effort it'll take to make it happen. They want the deal done quickly and with minimal effort.

It's not fine for what their job is, which is to help you get the best deal for you and to be happy and comfortable with the process. There's something to be said for getting your house sold fast and not squabbling over minor things, but they should be explaining to you why their way is better.

Treating you like a burden and just trying to force you to make the sale is pretty lovely.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

actionjackson posted:

Not sure what's surprising here, that is a fine question to ask and the answer leans towards yes, depending on myriad other factors. I probably wouldn't want to stretch that far personally, but there are a ton of people who would want to and could potentially do it in a reasonably responsible way. Life is a spectrum of choices, risks, and outcomes.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

DaveSauce posted:

nah that's not fine

That's fine for them to shove the deal through ASAP to get their commission. Quantity beats quality. They're not going to bust rear end to get you an extra few bucks because that translates to peanuts for them, especially compared to the effort it'll take to make it happen. They want the deal done quickly and with minimal effort.

It's not fine for what their job is, which is to help you get the best deal for you and to be happy and comfortable with the process. There's something to be said for getting your house sold fast and not squabbling over minor things, but they should be explaining to you why their way is better.

Treating you like a burden and just trying to force you to make the sale is pretty lovely.

Yeah, that is true.

I suppose if I was in a more major market, I'd be inclined to push harder; there are several opportunities where I think that the agent probably could have maybe tried a bit harder. At the same time, I'm not really interested in having this drag out longer than necessary and I don't want to lose what could very well be a top offer. Or, it'll fall apart, and I'll owe Motronic a gift basket for being right twice in a row on offering me advice :v:

This is probably an important lesson in making the rent vs. buy calculation in a minor market, heh. (I lived there for 12 years so it was probably the right choice, and until maybe 3 years ago the big dog employer in town was talking about expanding locally, before they suddenly decided to reverse course on that).

I have a buddy that just sold a house in Florida and he made $texas off the deal, so he did well . . . but there's no way anyone could talk me into purchasing real estate in FL, because THAT feels to me like a big game of musical chairs that's coming due for the music to stop. But I bet plenty of people will make out well there beforehand. Too risky for me, though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Zarin posted:

Or, it'll fall apart, and I'll owe Motronic a gift basket for being right twice in a row on offering me advice :v:

My caution here was to go in eyes wide open and know that you your agent is even worse than most as far as what you can trust. You talked to a lawyer and understood what you were signing before you signed it. Mission accomplished.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Motronic posted:

My caution here was to go in eyes wide open and know that you your agent is even worse than most as far as what you can trust. You talked to a lawyer and understood what you were signing before you signed it. Mission accomplished.

Well, you did say "Tell them to get better financing" and I didn't quite do that one, so . . . I'll split it with you halfsies :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Zarin posted:

Well, you did say "Tell them to get better financing" and I didn't quite do that one, so . . . I'll split it with you halfsies :v:

Well, with more context of the area you're selling in that seems to be unlikely to happen and that this is the kind of buyer/financing you'll need to deal with. So I'd say you're doing the best you can for what seems to be the reality of your situation.

I didn't think there was any method of the locking you into selling at what it appraises at, but it's still not clear to me if they can make up an appraisal gap even if they have the cash on an FHA loan. I hope I'm wrong, I hope even more that it's irrelevant in your situation. But FHA loans have a lot of funny requirements and if you're in a market where you can find buyers to finance conventional you should always punt any FHA offers unless they are exceptional and realistic. And you have the cash and time to deal with the potential bullshit.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Motronic posted:

Well, with more context of the area you're selling in that seems to be unlikely to happen and that this is the kind of buyer/financing you'll need to deal with. So I'd say you're doing the best you can for what seems to be the reality of your situation.

I didn't think there was any method of the locking you into selling at what it appraises at, but it's still not clear to me if they can make up an appraisal gap even if they have the cash on an FHA loan. I hope I'm wrong, I hope even more that it's irrelevant in your situation. But FHA loans have a lot of funny requirements and if you're in a market where you can find buyers to finance conventional you should always punt any FHA offers unless they are exceptional and realistic. And you have the cash and time to deal with the potential bullshit.

Makes sense. Yeah, I'd have preferred if my first/strong offer wasn't FHA. On the other hand, I was very nearly That Guy that was gonna have to go with FHA (until my inlaws decided that they wanted to help) so I . . . would like to be empathetic. I would like even more to get paid, though.

According to official-sounding-but-not-actually-official FHA.com, it does seem like if they have a bucket of cash or a rich uncle, they are allowed to make up the difference of a low appraisal: https://www.fha.com/fha_article?id=1507

The one strange thing on the offer was an additional inspection that only says, and I quote: "windows". Realtor says that just means to check that they aren't broken and/or they open/close/lock as they should. I'm expecting that'll be an easy one to pass.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

lampey posted:

This is from yesterday but I didn't see anyone go more into the specifics. Many online lenders will have some or all of the same fees even if they don't show you them in ads upfront. Really you are shopping on the overall costs and rate, with a higher rate you can get a lender credit for the points, to offset some of these fixed costs. The APR factors most of these costs in, but you can't just compare APR because some lenders can be omitting certain costs, or have inaccurate figures that you will need to pay. You should shop around and get multiple good faith estimates and compare them line by line. If a lender won't give you an estimate they are probably hiding something. You can ask the local guy to match the best one. You won't really know if the current lender is competitive without shopping around, if those fees are normal to get the rate you were quoted. Also the fees can change some until you lock it in.

They did give me an cost estimate. I decided to send them all the docs so they could get it all approved and provide a true estimate. So we will see. Then I can compare them both and we will see. My realtor (who we like and have used to buy another place) would like me to use the local guy since I used him last time, thinks it makes our offers stronger. Saving money is saving money though.

Most likely we will keep getting out bid so it will not matter.

actionjackson posted:

A guy who works for me just bought a place for $500K with $50K down, $630/mo HOA. He makes $84K. Apparently his GF is moving in. Hope it goes well.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

B-Nasty posted:

Again, you're misrepresenting the statistics. That recent Redfin link only says 15% of homes (varying by market) are bought by all investors. This includes mom-n-pop investors, and their methodology doesn't exclude purchases made by LLCs that immediately flip and resell, i.e. these are not all future rentals.

Do you have some examples of the 'public policy' influence these institutional investors are spending millions on?

Following up on this, I don't see sufficient data that companies like Blackrock are responsible for driving up the cost of real estate. To be clear, I'm not saying it doesn't have any impact - it does - but that impact is still largely outsized by zoning restrictions and city councils refusing to approve development of additional housing or "middle housing" such as townhomes, row houses, quadplex's, mid-rise apartments, etc. Here's a super long thread below, if anything.

https://twitter.com/JerusalemDemsas/status/1403337432406298624?s=20

tl;dr - Housing prices increasing is still largely due demand outstripping supply. Want affordable housing? Pay attention to your local representatives and vote!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

tl;dr - Housing prices increasing is still largely due demand outstripping supply. Want affordable housing? Pay attention to your local representatives and vote!
lol like voting is going to increase housing supply

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Hmm shall I vote for the Facist or the Deeply Right of Center Capitalist Apologist? This is a great two party system.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

spwrozek posted:

They did give me an cost estimate. I decided to send them all the docs so they could get it all approved and provide a true estimate. So we will see. Then I can compare them both and we will see. My realtor (who we like and have used to buy another place) would like me to use the local guy since I used him last time, thinks it makes our offers stronger. Saving money is saving money though.

Most likely we will keep getting out bid so it will not matter.

A guy who works for me just bought a place for $500K with $50K down, $630/mo HOA. He makes $84K. Apparently his GF is moving in. Hope it goes well.

Spoiler it won’t go well lol.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Do people just need to live disaster's edge to feel alive??? I'm in a relatively cheap market and I'm trying to find something as cheap as possible so I don't have to sweat if/when the fan starts making GBS threads.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Do people just need to live disaster's edge to feel alive???

Different strokes for different folks. I personally enjoy paying less for my house than for most 2 BR apartments in my area. The thought of doubling or tripling my monthly mortgage payment for the sake of a fancy new house isn't as appealing as saving money.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Diva Cupcake posted:

lol like voting is going to increase housing supply

It's literally illegal to construct "middle" housing. Portland and Minneapolis recently just passed legislation in the last year to allow it.

5 Things You Should Know About Portland's New Housing Reform

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Do people just need to live disaster's edge to feel alive??? I'm in a relatively cheap market and I'm trying to find something as cheap as possible so I don't have to sweat if/when the fan starts making GBS threads.

I think there's a good amount of keeping up with the Joneses at play, at least for some people who overbuy. I took a history of consumerism class in college and we watched a documentary that followed some middle class families driving themselves to financial ruin because they just had to have all this material poo poo to project the illusion of success or something. My family was never like that so I found the whole mentality pretty baffling.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

It's literally illegal to construct "middle" housing. Portland and Minneapolis recently just passed legislation in the last year to allow it.

At least some good progress. I live in a prewar neighborhood with a bunch of "middle" housing - it's a nice mix of SFHs, terrace/row houses, duplexes, quadplexes, and small apartment buildings (6-8 units) on a tight grid. It manages to achieve urban density without feeling urban. It's really a shame this sort of development pretty much stopped in favor of either hulking apartment blocks no one wants to be in the shadow of or space-wasting SFH sprawl. Glad it's starting to turn around, at least in some places.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

In NYC middle income housing is such a problem, they give giant tax credits to “luxury” co-op buildings to build them.

Then they lotto them off.

They’re not even cheap. 3 bedroom units can go for $1mm, and you can’t make more that very specific income requirements. They’re also insanely competitive because they’re a good deal, even with all that stupid poo poo. Most people take years to get selected, then they have to go through interview processes with the city AND the building board (racism and sexism is obviously an issue here). It’s a loving nightmare.

https://ny.curbed.com/2020/3/25/21192807/hdfc-new-york-income-based-housing

My point is that it’s so bad for middle income, that even this incredibly garbage program is very popular.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Queen Victorian posted:

I think there's a good amount of keeping up with the Joneses at play, at least for some people who overbuy. I took a history of consumerism class in college and we watched a documentary that followed some middle class families driving themselves to financial ruin because they just had to have all this material poo poo to project the illusion of success or something. My family was never like that so I found the whole mentality pretty baffling.

Where I was growing up we had neighbors who would do this. They bought an RV, a massive TV, a hot tub (in the middle of Phoenix lol, their house already had a pool), and all sorts of other poo poo. They couldn't afford any of it and after over a decade of shuffling around credit card debt they finally declared bankruptcy and moved into a trailer park

There was no other family in the neighborhood that they were keeping up with, they were just very bad with money. I think many middle class families probably are, especially from the boomer generation

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

There is a movie with David Duchonvy called The Jones where fake families are planted in neighborhoods to stealth market stuff using the keeping up mentality. It was interesting because I 100% could see someone trying it and getting some traction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

In NYC middle income housing is such a problem, they give giant tax credits to “luxury” co-op buildings to build them.

Then they lotto them off.

:words:

NYC Real Estate confuses the gently caress out of me. Monthly Maintenance fees upwards of $1,200 a month. Realtors that don't advertise square footage because they don't have too? Buildings with... doormen? Because I need one of those? :confused:

With the cost of Real Estate increasing so much the place I've been looking at the most is Las Vegas... It's so goddamn cheap and I work remotely now with the pandemic. Oddly enough, I have a zero interest in gambling.