Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

No. No! This will not stand! As someone who was there, JBL's push came out of nowhere, was baffling at the time and it loving sucked! It sucked. He sucked. Dearth of talent when you had the Smackdown Six there. Gimme a break!

Benoit was on RAW, Angle was on and off the shelf with a hosed neck if I remember correctly, Chavo was Chavo, Edge wasn't really connecting as a face (and was on RAW) and there was no way Mysterio was going to be a heel world champion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Dacap posted:

I don’t think there was a single match in Jinder’s reign that didn’t end with interference from the Bollywood Boyz immediately followed by a surprise Khallas to pin.

A while back. But I will always defend putting the belt on Jinder.

Yeah he was a jobber, but he was a new face, something different, and a breath of fresh wind in the always stale WWE title scene.

The problem comes from what you said above. Instead of having a proper reign, with proper matches, and being able to prove himself as a main eventer. What happened was he would be put in matches with the "good" wrestlers, get his arse kicked, and then win because his minions distracted the ref. Again and again and again. It sucked any potential joy or novelty from both the reign and Jinder himself.

And if it was an attempt to get a foothold in India, (as they tried with Khali as well), it failed on all levels, and was executed insanely badly with no understanding of anything.

So it was done poorly, but putting th ebelt on Jinder *COULD* have been good. Instead we got WWE-style incompetence.

Also, with Jinders failure, WWE looked at that and said "this is what happens when we push new people into the main event. Back to orton vs big show again. Thats what the people want" And we are all the poorer for it.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 12, 2021

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Early 2018 was such a loving troll for anyone that likes Japanese wrestlers. They had Asuka win the first women's Royal Rumble only to end her undefeated streak by feeding her to Charlotte at Wrestlemania, and had Nakamura win the men's Royal Rumble only to lose to AJ at Wrestlemania to start the Summer of Dick Kicking.

this is what killed interest for me i think. i watched for a while after but not too much longer. nakamura was literally like, the guy who got me back into wrestling and asuka debuted right around when i got hooked on nxt and god drat the up from that rumble to the waaaaaaay down of mania (especially for nak, holy poo poo that feud was baaad)

the endless jinder reign def was a big part too

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Jinder's reign ruled

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
What really made the HIAC match stupid to me was two things:

1: It should have never happened in the first place. They clearly didn't want either man to lose, and yet they booked them in a match where there must be a winner no matter what. Why does the Fiend even care about Title Belts in the first place?

2: Takin the Fiend, a freshly debuted character whose whole shtick is that he's an unkillable movie monster serial killer, and then put him in a match where he basically lost because the other guy kicked his rear end too much. They somehow found a way to make him look worse than if he'd just gotten pinned. It's like if they did a Friday the 13th movie that ends when one of the camp counselors kicks Jason's rear end so hard he has to be stretchered out of the forest.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Alan_Shore posted:

JBL IS TRASH

He's right he's right folks. That was one of the best roasters post wcw. Jbl more than the invasion is what really put a hit on my interest in wwe

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Drakkel posted:

What really made the HIAC match stupid to me was two things:

1: It should have never happened in the first place. They clearly didn't want either man to lose, and yet they booked them in a match where there must be a winner no matter what. Why does the Fiend even care about Title Belts in the first place?

2: Takin the Fiend, a freshly debuted character whose whole shtick is that he's an unkillable movie monster serial killer, and then put him in a match where he basically lost because the other guy kicked his rear end too much. They somehow found a way to make him look worse than if he'd just gotten pinned. It's like if they did a Friday the 13th movie that ends when one of the camp counselors kicks Jason's rear end so hard he has to be stretchered out of the forest.
To be fair, The Fiend actually just sat up and no-sold his rear end getting kicked so hard it caused a ref stoppage. It's just bad WWE booking. Also why the gently caress would you paint a whole cage red, didn't they learn anything from TNA?

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I think you will find that JBL is not "trash," JBL is in fact

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
WWE is loving crazy.... I just saw that Raw is coming to Chicago. and checked out the prices out of curiosity.

They want $265 per ticket for Raw for the same seat I paid $113 for NXT Takeover Chicago, which is that lower row of the bowl where you are center/level with the ring. I also paid $102.98 for a Road to Wrestlemania Raw in 2017, and $242 for the combo price of both NXT Takeover Chicago 2 and Money in the Bank.

For comparison... I paid $113 for a similar seat to AEW Revolution 2020.

I feel sorry for whoever pays $265 per ticket for a 2021 era Raw. More than twice as much as the price 4 years ago

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Karma Tornado posted:

I think you will find that JBL is not "trash," JBL is in fact

"JBL, I spoopy."

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
TNA's biggest buyrate every year was for Lockdown, their cagematch ppv. there was a point where all the secondary wwe ppvs got renamed around a gimmick match. most of them are gone now but Hiac remains.

that was the beginning of the end. Hiac used to be the ultimate blowoff match for blood feuds, but once you commit to doing it once a year without preplanning storylines, you end up with a bunch of pointless matches that kill the gimmick.

the first bad Cell match I can remember was when, through a series of poor decisions, they ended up with CM Punk vs. Ryback. Ryback had a goldbergesque winning streak and Punk was in the middle of a 400+ day title reign, so neither could lose. so they debuted an as of yet unknown heel referee, Brad Maddox, and stunk the place out with a gently caress finish.

technically the first Cell match was the Al snow/Bossman Kennel from hell match, which used the cell but wasnt called that. a dog poo poo on the floor during the match.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
45 minutes into the show a female was finally on the show with Carmella walking out for her match and immediately cutting to commercial

Her match with Liv lasted 3:05 with Liv winning clean!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I would not go to Raw if you paid me $265

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Reality Protester posted:

TNA's biggest buyrate every year was for Lockdown, their cagematch ppv. there was a point where all the secondary wwe ppvs got renamed around a gimmick match. most of them are gone now but Hiac remains.

that was the beginning of the end. Hiac used to be the ultimate blowoff match for blood feuds, but once you commit to doing it once a year without preplanning storylines, you end up with a bunch of pointless matches that kill the gimmick.

the first bad Cell match I can remember was when, through a series of poor decisions, they ended up with CM Punk vs. Ryback. Ryback had a goldbergesque winning streak and Punk was in the middle of a 400+ day title reign, so neither could lose. so they debuted an as of yet unknown heel referee, Brad Maddox, and stunk the place out with a gently caress finish.

technically the first Cell match was the Al snow/Bossman Kennel from hell match, which used the cell but wasnt called that. a dog poo poo on the floor during the match.

Hell In A Cell
Fatal Four Way
TLC
Breaking Point (i believe the main events were submission matches, name is good though)
Bragging Rights
Elimination Chamber
Night of Champions

creatively bankrupt theme ppvs out the wazoo for a while there

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Man you guys have much more dire breaking points than me. I just thought Wrestlemania 31 was extremely boring and I turned off the following raw halfway through because my brain just went "Man, I don't give a poo poo about ANYONE on this show tonight" and once the habit was broken it was really easy to not go back.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

It's a good thing that Wrestlemania Night 2 sucked so much or I might've been tempted to follow WWE after the strength of Night 1.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
While we're on the topic, Survivor Series is just as dead in the water as HIAC. Once it turned into this godawful Raw vs Smackdown show where suddenly everyone cares very deeply about "Brand Supremacy" despite that meaning literally nothing, and people suddenly start doing run-ins on the other show while wearing color-coded t-shirts which they never do at any other point of the year, and suddenly babyfaces/heels are cooperatingm and basically every storyline in the company goes on hiatus for a month, the whole premise was just dead. Just god-the-gently caress-awful programming every year.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Critical posted:

Hell In A Cell
Fatal Four Way
TLC
Breaking Point (i believe the main events were submission matches, name is good though)
Bragging Rights
Elimination Chamber
Night of Champions

also Extreme Rules. though people dont seem to hate that one.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

This Bayley segment seems bad.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

jinders reign was terrible, but they did a house show here in vancouver while he was champion, and he got a monster pop. it kinda ruled.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

After I cut cable from my home was when I stopped watching WWE. That broke the habbit the most. I kept up through the recaps on here and JRU's gifs. Those slowed down over the years as poo poo got worse and worse. What finally made me swear off ever watching them again or giving them another dime was the Saudi stuff.

It's amazing how easy it was to fall back into watching wrestling weekly. First with Lucha Underground seasons 1 and 2 and now with Dynamite. Having a good show seems to do the trick.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Critical posted:

Hell In A Cell
Fatal Four Way
TLC
Bragging Rights
Elimination Chamber
Night of Champions

Money in the bank!

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Pylons posted:

This Bayley segment seems bad.

What you didn't like them all going HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHA the entire time?

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I only got back into wrestling during the Asuka/Shinsuke rumbles and my breaking point was when Lesnar walked into the MitB match and won.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

coconono posted:

-Stephanie getting mad at Dusty Rhodes for being too charismatic on a live mic.

This one just boggled the hell out of me, pure Vince brain. Of course guy who made his whole career on being a schlubby looking everyman who could talk the birds down out of the trees, who got over wearing polkadot briefs and doing a dancing fat man gimmick, is going to be charismatic if you give him a mic.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Digital Jedi posted:

What you didn't like them all going HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHA the entire time?

Seeing this become Bayley's main thing made me think of this Matt Hardy interview

quote:

"There was a point where I did the Broken Matt Hardy laugh and then Bray had laughed too, and when Vince heard the laughs together, he's like, 'this is, this is funny s--t, let's roll with this,' and then it was every week, it was laughing at the end, over and over to overkill," Hardy said.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
The reaction to that Hell in a Cell finish in 2019 was so overwhelmingly negative that I amassed ~200,000 views over the course of the following weekend entirely on the back of a headline that read "Seriously, What The Hell Is WWE Even Doing Right Now?" and featured a picture of THE FIEND from the Rollins match: https://deadspin.com/seriously-what-the-hell-is-wwe-even-doing-right-now-1838962354

bartok
May 10, 2006

I think if Jinder had a cool finisher instead of that lame rear end Cobra Clutch Slam I wouldn't have minded his reign as much except for the racist poo poo he did during the Nakamura feud.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Liquid Communism posted:

This one just boggled the hell out of me, pure Vince brain. Of course guy who made his whole career on being a schlubby looking everyman who could talk the birds down out of the trees, who got over wearing polkadot briefs and doing a dancing fat man gimmick, is going to be charismatic if you give him a mic.

its loving dusty, the biggest demo they have literally grew up on him. He's more exciting than santa claus in their withered brains. Let the fuckin dude pop the crowd, goddamn.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
The best thing JBL ever did was get knocked the gently caress out by legendary shoot fighter Bart Gunn

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
There’s not even a smackdown thread tonight. Everyone really has checked out.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The best thing JBL ever did was get knocked the gently caress out by legendary shoot fighter Bart Gunn

Untrue.

He also got knocked out by Joey Styles.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

davidbix posted:

The reaction to that Hell in a Cell finish in 2019 was so overwhelmingly negative that I amassed ~200,000 views over the course of the following weekend entirely on the back of a headline that read "Seriously, What The Hell Is WWE Even Doing Right Now?" and featured a picture of THE FIEND from the Rollins match: https://deadspin.com/seriously-what-the-hell-is-wwe-even-doing-right-now-1838962354

the biggest takeaway I'm getting from all this discourse is that WWE is trying to fit in the "so bad its good" niche and failing miserably.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

CopywrightMMXI posted:

There’s not even a smackdown thread tonight. Everyone really has checked out.

ive had it on in the background and nothing has interested me at all from turning around and watching any of it, aside from grabbing the remote to mute the end of the dd hello segment

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
lol roman just killed dominik

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SD https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-results/wwe-smackdown-live-results-hell-cell-build-continues-343796

Roman Reigns backstage tells Jey Uso he won't tolerate embarrassment; Jey knows that, does Jimmy? Jimmy Uso interrupts in-ring, saying the Usos actually had the match and titles won, getting his rear end kicked was all part of the plan that Reigns rudely interrupted. He doesn't trust them, and he's jealous of Jimmy coming back and wanting to help make their family proud with his brother. Reigns isn't the only one capable of holding gold right now, and Jey wants his brother back, promising to do something tonight he won't regret. Reigns tells Jey to handle this
Jey meets Jimmy backstage and says his loyalty is to Reigns. Jimmy says if Reigns wants to talk, he can find Jimmy in the Usos' locker room
Big E and Kevin Owens defeat Apollo Crews and Sami Zayn; Owens pins Sami. Postmatch Apollo calls Sami an idiot who was clearly the weak link, and next week he wants a rematch against them with Commander Azeez as his partner this time. Big E and Owens accept. Sami's upset and says Apollo's in on a conspiracy with Owens to keep him away from the IC title, so Azeez beats Sami up
Chad Gable apologizes to Street Profits for Otis beating them up, they don't accept it so Gable challenges one of them to a singles match. Street Profits argue over who can kick his rear end harder, Montez Ford wins the argument. Chad reiterates a singles match and says no Otis or Angelo Dawkins at ringside, Montez accepts
Jey tells Reigns Jimmy's response, Reigns laughs
Liv Morgan defeats Carmella in barely 3 minutes
Seth Rollins guests on Bayley's show Ding Dong, Hello! They laugh at the replay of her laughing at Bianca Belair all over the Thunderdome. They then laugh at the replay of Seth destroying Cesaro. Someone rings the doorbell, Seth answers and sees Cesaro at the door. Cesaro destroys Seth, and the Ding Dong, Hello! set in the process. Bayley's devastated at the loss of her set, Bianca comes out and laughs
Rey Mysterio promises to call out Reigns for what he did to Dominik
Montez defeats Gable by DQ; Gable accidentally kicked out of Montez's finisher because Otis was too slow to interfere at the 2-count, and then after the kickout Otis (freshly-shaved and with a haircut) destroys Montez, and Angelo when he comes out to help. Officials separate him from hurting Street Profits anymore
Shinsuke Nakamura defeats King Corbin in under 3 minutes. Postmatch Corbin attacks Nakamura and Rick Boogz, grabs the crown back, but gets doubleteamed and Nakamura gets it back
Corbin complains backstage to Adam Pearce and Sonya Deville about wanting his crown back, they're happy to book a rematch (the 5th Nakamura/Corbin match in 6 weeks) with it on the line
Reigns and Jey see Jimmy, and both yell at each other trying to convince Jey to take their side. Jey walks away saying he's had enough. Jimmy wants to fight Reigns, Reigns wants to know what he's done. All he's cared about since day one is being the best he can be and making his family proud and the best they can be, like they all should be. He didn't drive away a twin he was with "since day one", he did what he could to put that twin at the top of cards. Reigns says he tried to help, he tried to put family first, Jimmy hasn't, and Jimmy drove his brother away, but he can still make up for that
Rey calls out Reigns, and challenges him at Hell in a Cell inside the HIAC. Rey attacks Reigns with a kendo stick, but it just makes Reigns mad. Reigns prepares to spear Rey but gets kendo stick'd by Dominik. Reigns powerbombs Dominik from inside the ring to the outside. Rey tries to check on Dominik but gets beat up more. Officials check on Dominik as the show ends

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Opening of the show with Reigns
https://streamable.com/mg255h
Usos
https://streamable.com/kezovy
Ding Dong Hello! Seth sucks so much
https://streamable.com/k35apg
Only women's match on the show that lasted 3:05. Good for Liv getting a win!
https://streamable.com/kxpd0o
Nak yoinks his crown
https://streamable.com/dnhco3
Reigns talks again to Jimmy
https://streamable.com/3987xj
Reigns beats up 2 small kids
https://streamable.com/j25p96

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 12, 2021

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nick Jr. Face posted:

I thought there was heat between Lesnar and Nakamura stemming from the one match they had in Japan

Assuming they were not big loving babies about it (which admittedly might be a big ask) a competent promotion would have a ready-made story for the rematch right there.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

At a glance more time was devoted to segments that featured laughter than to the one women's match on the show from the company HHH is adamant is the best place for women in the world