Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

kiddo, why did you throw two full sippy cups at me and give the more sign?

easy answer, throwing cups at you is fun :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

U-DO Burger posted:

easy answer, throwing cups at you is fun :buddy:

I think all toddlers have a special skill that all thrown objects or flailing limbs land precisely on dad's junk

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Thoguh posted:

Since all in person stuff is shut down my wife and I are doing some of the online classes from the mayo clinic to at least do something to prep and that's definitely a screenshot from the 'caring for a newborn' class I just took last weekend, it also made me wtf.

Honestly it is really easy for people to get into a routine or get focused on something they have to do and that's generally how kids get left in cars.

I saw a woman put a car seat with a child on the trunk of her car and then wrestle an older kid into his car seat and she got so focused on that she got into the car and I screamed and sprinted across a busy road to stop her from driving off. People just have insane brain farts sometimes and as someone who has not slept well since 2018 I understand that.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

U-DO Burger posted:

i never really bothered with cereals for kids because feeding your kid bland and flavorless poo poo feels like such a waste to me. i just let my kids gnaw/suck on a portion of whatever it was we were eating and never had any issues. it's also pretty fun to see what flavors infants and toddlers latch onto, because in my experience they're not as picky as older kids. when my first kid was 1 she absolutely adored pickled ginger and scarfed that poo poo down anytime we had some on hand.

i tried it for a little bit with my first and then threw that poo poo out cause it was gross and pointless

best thing you can do is just puree some fruits and vegetables in any blender, mix the fruit with a little yogurt too its like a smoothie, they'll love it

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Since all in person stuff is shut down my wife and I are doing some of the online classes from the mayo clinic to at least do something to prep and that's definitely a screenshot from the 'caring for a newborn' class I just took last weekend, it also made me wtf.

Yeah this is absolutely a thing you should do, some day you'll do dropoff on your way to work except forgetfully drive your normal route to work, and hopefully you're not too much of a new parent zombie to miss the kid as you're getting out of the car.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

that arsenic article says they won’t be making rice cereals anymore because they can’t source rice from anywhere that isn’t laced. I’m pretty new to this, but it really sucks raising my baby in a toxic hell world.

we were trying to be really mindful to avoid microplastic exposure, and for the first few months it was easy, but we quickly realized it was probably unrealistic. we could use glass bottles all day, but the wife’s pump, storage bags, nipples and pacifiers were all pretty much unavoidable. now that she’s on a quest to cram anything and everything in her mouth, it really seems impossible.

meanolmrcloud has issued a correction as of 13:21 on Jun 11, 2021

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Yeah closest I've come to that was put baby in car seat, struggle with older child, drive home, get baby out of car seat and realize I forgot to buckle them in. Whoops!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

sullat posted:

Yeah closest I've come to that was put baby in car seat, struggle with older child, drive home, get baby out of car seat and realize I forgot to buckle them in. Whoops!

I've had that happen in reverse one time and I made it half a block before I heard "ummmm dad?"

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

So, uhhhhh, does this mean that they can't source arsenic free rice? Because I like rice

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
been checking out the hospital where my wife will be giving birth, and it looks pretty great. they did some recent renovations. you give birth in your room and don't get carted anywhere else, private bathroom and shower, and an extra bed for the support person.

I dunno, the first trimester has been so stressful with spotting and not knowing if everything was okay for days at a time for some reason the work the hospital has put in to make labour less stressful is encouraging

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

TeenageArchipelago posted:

So, uhhhhh, does this mean that they can't source arsenic free rice? Because I like rice

wash your rice

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Dreylad posted:

been checking out the hospital where my wife will be giving birth, and it looks pretty great. they did some recent renovations. you give birth in your room and don't get carted anywhere else, private bathroom and shower, and an extra bed for the support person.

I dunno, the first trimester has been so stressful with spotting and not knowing if everything was okay for days at a time for some reason the work the hospital has put in to make labour less stressful is encouraging

Did they actually let you in? Because of COVID our 'tour' was meeting with a nurse in the intake area to go over how to pre-register and discuss stuff like at what point we'd come there vs the emergency room if something was wrong, where to park and what door to come to when labor happened, and other topics like that. It was still a really worthwhile visit since it was all info we needed but they aren't letting anyone back in to the actual birth rooms because of COVID.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Thoguh posted:

Did they actually let you in? Because of COVID our 'tour' was meeting with a nurse in the intake area to go over how to pre-register and discuss stuff like at what point we'd come there vs the emergency room if something was wrong, where to park and what door to come to when labor happened, and other topics like that. It was still a really worthwhile visit since it was all info we needed but they aren't letting anyone back in to the actual birth rooms because of COVID.

It was a virtual tour, yeah

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
we got a camper because tent camping with kids in the Pacific Northwest is a nightmare.

it's kind of a give and take. the inside is basically a little house and they like to just sit in there and dick around or sometimes watch a show on the iPad.

and then other times I have to say "put on some pants, get outside and do something active or no s'mores."

it's p nice though. just sitting outside under the awning in the rain with a fresh cup of coffee is something id never do in a tent camping situation. heck i'd probably already be packed up and in the car by now because it is DUMPING rain here and has been for 12 hours straight.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

we got a camper because tent camping with kids in the Pacific Northwest is a nightmare.

we rented an RV last winter for the first time. returned it in a snowstorm levels of winter. it was awesome! whole campground to ourselves, no water hook up but whatever. cool bed above the cab that the kids loved.

visited family at a campsite a few weeks ago, in part to see if we wanted to buy their camper

uh... wow. that RV lifestyle sure is something. packed like sardines into 50' x 20' lots, barking dogs everywhere, and just a loving sea of thin blue line flags. no thanks :(

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Peeps with small babies, be careful of RS virus, apparently there's a big outbreak this summer ironically because of the coronavirus measures last year.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Our two kids, 3 years old and a 7 month old, survived the move across the country without any meltdowns or even much crying. They did three flights. It didn't start off so great because on the first flight our oldest didn't understand why he couldn't just climb over people to get to his mom and he didn't sleep well so the poor guy was exhausted during the first layover. it was a really good feeling that the military family behind us had two of the screamiest kids ever so our kids looked awesome in comparison. The second and third flights were no problem, both of them slept most of the time. I am just honestly surprised and proud they did so well and it makes up for the fact that I haven't slept for 28 hours or so, I feel like I could go 28 more. I hate traveling and get extremely anxious when I have to fly so that doesn't help. The one thing I could have done better is get our oldest used to public bathrooms because he is currently terrified by them. He refused to use the bathroom or a diaper and held it for the entire trip. I have no idea how he did it.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Peeps with small babies, be careful of RS virus, apparently there's a big outbreak this summer ironically because of the coronavirus measures last year.

We just got out of the hospital. We were in there for a week bc the three week old got RSV and had to be on oxygen and fluids and got pneumonia and had to be on antibiotics as well. This poo poo is no joke.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I'm off from work tomorow and my son doesn't start summer camp till Monday so i asked him "what do you want to do tommorow buddy? Anything you want."

and he said "lets go to my favorite store....TARGET!"

his 2nd choice was Wawa

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

I'm off from work tomorow and my son doesn't start summer camp till Monday so i asked him "what do you want to do tommorow buddy? Anything you want."

and he said "lets go to my favorite store....TARGET!"

his 2nd choice was Wawa

a wise boy

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

we just hosed off to Deception Pass for the last week of fake school and it ruled.

kids learned a lot about ocean life and did some rock climbing. then my older one made up a game where you earn points by knocking over fire wood with a mallet you toss and he'd add up all the points (and issue demerits as well).

by my watch that's science, gym, and math all taken care of.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I gave my kids some worksheets.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

AxGrap posted:

We just got out of the hospital. We were in there for a week bc the three week old got RSV and had to be on oxygen and fluids and got pneumonia and had to be on antibiotics as well. This poo poo is no joke.

I'm glad your little one is out now. Is everything good?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't have anything to say really except wow bad look in retrospect that Flavius is the op of the thread about being around or having kids

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

*checks op* wait he's only autobanned? lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ugh, little one had a rough night - think we just fed her a bit too much as she recently started great with solid food but threw up tonight all over herself in her crib and then a tiny bit more once she got cleaned up. Didn't seemed phased and aside from tiredly rubbing her eyes, she spent her time giving her best smiles and laughs and leg kicks to me, her mom, and my mother in law

Nothing projectile and she is already getting back down with love and care

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

my four year old has been screaming at me in tears for 45 minutes after I changed him into pajamas following a 30 minute stand off where he refused to do anything at all by himself

major regret on that choice.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Update, baby is currently laughing maniacally at grabbing my glasses off my face and slapping them against my head

Good to know you're fine too, my little dirtbag

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Good dad!

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Last week we put our 18 month old and 3 1/2 year old in the same room for sleeping and made the old nursery a playroom and well the first night was great and now things are spiraling out of control since both kids have decided to play all night.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Good soup! posted:

Ugh, little one had a rough night - think we just fed her a bit too much as she recently started great with solid food but threw up tonight all over herself in her crib and then a tiny bit more once she got cleaned up. Didn't seemed phased and aside from tiredly rubbing her eyes, she spent her time giving her best smiles and laughs and leg kicks to me, her mom, and my mother in law

Nothing projectile and she is already getting back down with love and care

We had a terrifying moment around the time our kid started eating solid food, we had given him raspberries or strawberries or something like that, which he loved -- but overnight he projectile vomited all over his crib. And it was red! Very frightening. But it was just from the fruit and not blood. Babies are scary.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Good soup! posted:

Update, baby is currently laughing maniacally at grabbing my glasses off my face and slapping them against my head

Good to know you're fine too, my little dirtbag

baby trying to imitate you putting on glasses

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

We had a terrifying moment around the time our kid started eating solid food, we had given him raspberries or strawberries or something like that, which he loved -- but overnight he projectile vomited all over his crib. And it was red! Very frightening. But it was just from the fruit and not blood. Babies are scary.

God my youngest had raisins in her poop a few days ago and I was frantically calling my wife since it looked like dark blood clots.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

it’s why I haven’t tried to feed my kid beets yet. also lots of blue berries can seem like something is wrong.

we’ve been lucky that ours doesn’t have any food intolerances so far. we’re waiting until 5 to try shellfish though because my spouses family is full of bad food intolerances and my father in law is a shrimp away from death.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

First time we fed kiddo edamame was pretty funny

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

edamame is like the gateway green for us, it’s
1. green
2. has protein
3. tastes good
4. goes well with rice
5. can give kid practice with motor skills popping the soy out

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

sonatinas posted:

edamame is like the gateway green for us, it’s
1. green
2. has protein
3. tastes good
4. goes well with rice
5. can give kid practice with motor skills popping the soy out

6. can give kid practice with spitting skills spitting the soy out of their mouth :argh:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

B-Rock452 posted:

God my youngest had raisins in her poop a few days ago and I was frantically calling my wife since it looked like dark blood clots.

We were frantically googling green toes until we realized baby had done some painting at day care.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Well poo poo, my three year old who does not nap went down hard at the end of her quiet time and has now slept for four hours. I can wake her up now, or hope to ride it out until morning. Neither scenario is going to work out. I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

ugh yeah I'd wake her. otherwise you're up until 11 o'clock (unless that's fine? sometimes it works out)