Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dik Hz posted:

Can I just rant for a second....

There's a new buzzword making its rounds at my company: "Derisking"

It drives me up the wall because it implies risk is a single value knob that can be tuned up and down and not a complicated landscape. Also, it implies that that risk is removed instead of just shifted around. It also makes risk analysis and decision into an active verb, which means corporate chucklefucks who contribute nothing to a process use it to make themselves seem like they're adding value. After all, less risk = more value, right? The reductionist nature of stripping all nuance from understanding risk also drives me nuts.

And then, there's how "derisking" is used. It's used by petty bureaucrats as a synonym for "I am so scared to make an actual decision that I will wait until enough data is collected that the decision is either apparent to everyone or no longer necessary." As in "I derisked the process by requesting addition reports."

Ok, sorry to anyone who actually read all that. I feel better getting it out.

I've been hearing (and probably using, occasionally) de-risking for at least a couple years. Consulting yay.

Speaking of bad words that I hate: utilizing. JUST SAY USING FUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I've never heard of it before, but I can't wait to start utilizing "de-risking" in my day-to-day.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

knox_harrington posted:

I keep getting approached to work at the clinical research unit of Philip Morris.

"It's cancer. It's always cancer."

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

knox_harrington posted:

I keep getting approached to work at the clinical research unit of Philip Morris.

Yikes

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

knox_harrington posted:

"OK, but what if we check and THIS time it DOESN'T cause tumours?"

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

knox_harrington posted:

if you work for PM you get a free pack of cigarettes or snuff a day, so...

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Owlspiracy posted:

if you work for PM you get a free pack of cigarettes or snuff a day, so...

Work for, volunteer to be a lab rat for, whatever.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

My first internship interview during grad school was with Altria. In the final interview, dude pulls out his dip and starts spitting right there.

They were shocked I turned them down.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

rafikki posted:

Work for, volunteer to be a lab rat for, whatever.

at least as of a few years ago you got a special card that you can use on the tobacco vending machine once a day (it was tracked)

and yes people openly smoke/dip in meetings

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Jordan7hm posted:

blessings be upon you

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug

knox_harrington posted:

Mission Winnow for us all.

I’d hope this has come up in here before, actually. If you want the most incredible goldmine of meaningless buzzwords, it’s hard to find something better. In case it hasn’t: https://www.missionwinnow.com/en/what-is-mission-winnow-/

One teaser, but the whole site is great:

quote:

Mission Winnow is a PMI-driven initiative to demonstrate our commitment to continuous innovation and development of new solutions that can expedite positive change for society. Inspired by the drive and dedication of our partners, it articulates how we are transforming our business through science and by adopting a new way of thinking and exploring every option.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Banzai 3 posted:

Mission Winnow for us all.

I’d hope this has come up in here before, actually. If you want the most incredible goldmine of meaningless buzzwords, it’s hard to find something better. In case it hasn’t: https://www.missionwinnow.com/en/what-is-mission-winnow-/

One teaser, but the whole site is great:

This website is violence.

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003

Omne posted:

My first internship interview during grad school was with Altria. In the final interview, dude pulls out his dip and starts spitting right there.

They were shocked I turned them down.

I went to business school with a women that worked for Altria. She got a lot of side-eye from classmates.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

One of the covid vaccines in trials uses a genetically modified tobacco relative to grow the base vaccine and was developed by a tobacco company lab.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Smithwick posted:

I went to business school with a women that worked for Altria. She got a lot of side-eye from classmates.

Yeah they actually did hire a few interns for that summer, and one of them went to work full-time. For what he was interested in (market research and analytics) Altria is pretty top-notch; you're just using that knowledge to convince more people to keep killing themselves and others.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

altria is pretty evil, but i know someone whose job was to help design guidance software for cruise missiles at a defense contractor

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Smithwick posted:

I do not believe for a second that business school students would judge someone for being logistics director at Auschwitz, let alone just working for a cigarette company.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm utilizing the copy machine to share my religious viewpoints flyer throughout the building.

On the other hand, it can be safely said that companies are only ever using their employees.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Thanatosian posted:

I do not believe for a second that business school students would judge someone for being logistics director at Auschwitz, let alone just working for a cigarette company.

nah people will be super judgey while simultaneously making excuses because they know that there's a good chance they would "have to" do something similar in the future

strawberrymousse
Jul 13, 2012

BEHOLD, THE DRAMATIC REVEAL!

strawberrymousse posted:

Boy, that A/B plan almost lasted a whole week--that's a new record for my org!

Now we're being told that the top level directors want us back in the office full time ASAP.

Time to throttle my work output down even more while I speedrun my remaining classes.

Quoting myself again because at this point even I can barely keep track of where the goalposts started out.

My supervisor asked us all to provide feedback about how valuable we find WFH. Said she was going to press the point with my boss to at least have 1-2 WFH days a week.

Today my supervisor asks if she can talk to me for a minute, and literally the first words out of her mouth are "So, I thought your feedback was really great but I just want to make sure we're establishing the correct baseline here. It sounds like you consider WFH [that you have done for 15 months now] to be the baseline. WFH has been a great treat for us all but being in the office is the baseline."

Then proceeds to let me know that she'd like us all to have 1-2 WFH days but this means we'll have less coverage of "essential tasks". So if someone calls out on no notice, she reserves the right to call someone in on no notice to cover. Those who may encounter transportation issues are encouraged to take an Uber on their own dime, because "the car is not in my possession right now because you told me I was WFH today" will not be considered an excuse.

I love how no matter how lovely my org is behaving, somebody there can always find a way to make things even more poo poo. Inspiring.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

No jury would convict you. Well, maybe a jury of boomers.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
At that point why bother? Those places are clearly not going to permit working from home, period. They'll use it as an excuse during annual reviews (but of course being in the office won't actually improve your scores). They won't even want you to work from home when you're sick, so expect routine flu spreading starting... now. (Since they announce every month as flu season since about 2016).

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Thanatosian posted:

We had a guy that worked there in our class. He was at school to exit the job/industry so he didn't get a lot of poo poo.

Like a lot of us, he got the job he could in the recession and had worked there since.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

At that point why bother? Those places are clearly not going to permit working from home, period. They'll use it as an excuse during annual reviews (but of course being in the office won't actually improve your scores). They won't even want you to work from home when you're sick, so expect routine flu spreading starting... now. (Since they announce every month as flu season since about 2016).

We just had an email come out today with the bulletpoint "Coming back to the office shouldn't be seen as a punishment"

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Xguard86 posted:

We had a guy that worked there in our class. He was at school to exit the job/industry so he didn't get a lot of poo poo.

Like a lot of us, he got the job he could in the recession and had worked there since.

I feel like the bolded could use a bit more specificity, given the quoted post.... :eyepop:

:v:

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
I work in physical security. So some days I get asked to do some ethically good stuff, and sometimes people have asked me to do some shady as gently caress poo poo. Sometimes the shady as gently caress poo poo is alright, like the time the CEO of a company asked me to help design and set up a camera system for the place that runs his underground card game. Sometimes it's reading between the lines and realizing that I'm asked to make a system do some racist poo poo. There were repercussions for declining that, but sometimes being diplomatic about things can lead to confusion. Where as telling them to go gently caress off you racist piece of poo poo has the advantage of clarity. The biggest issue with shady poo poo was when some rear end in a top hat would point someone with clearly untreated mental illness my way. They clearly have paranoia issues that need to be addressed by a mental health professional. But they won't seek one out. Discouraging them without feeding their issues was a challenge.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Paracaidas posted:

I feel like the bolded could use a bit more specificity, given the quoted post.... :eyepop:

Hahah.

Well you know back in '35 there weren't too many options...

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Paracaidas posted:

Technically, the Era of Warm Beer was a recession...

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I just can't imagine why you'd pick business school when your entire skillset is following orders.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

apparently everyone sassily sharing that bloomberg article about people quitting rather than returning to the office on linkedin has begun shifting my place's plan from a 1 week in/3 weeks home structure to "well the 1 week in the office can be more like 3 partial 10-2 days if you want"

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Tobacco companies pay well do not the most evil place to work especially as they pivot towards pot and other drugs.

It’s not working for an investment bank or oil company (which I did)

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Last minute wfh change here

No more hybrid. Everyone's going back to the office like nothing ever happened.

The mass exodus already started lol

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Renegret posted:

Last minute wfh change here

No more hybrid. Everyone's going back to the office like nothing ever happened.

The mass exodus already started lol

Luckily my supervisor basically told me that I can wfh as long as stuff is getting done.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

My company started half opening offices with hotel desking, thank god my manager lives in another state and we've been hiring other employees remotely from out of state. I think I would quit before going back in

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm frustrated because I really like my job and the only reason I'm even surviving the graveyard shift is because of the WFH. It's already taxing my body to the limit, and that's without the 1 hour commute each way.

I'm gonna get forced to leave a job I love

strawberrymousse
Jul 13, 2012

BEHOLD, THE DRAMATIC REVEAL!

Renegret posted:

I'm frustrated because I really like my job and the only reason I'm even surviving the graveyard shift is because of the WFH. It's already taxing my body to the limit, and that's without the 1 hour commute each way.

I'm gonna get forced to leave a job I love

When the pandemic lockdowns first started, I thought the massive change in everyone's daily lives was going to force businesses to confront all the problems they'd been ignoring this whole time. Maybe this would represent a turning point in modern society.

Once I figured out how naive that was, I thought that at least the allure of cutting costs would accomplish something. Why pay for offices and equipment when you can have the employees do it?

Yet as it turns out, even improving the bottom line isn't as important as making sure the frogs are jumping on command.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah 100% the most important thing for most executives is being able to directly enjoy their control over people.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My boss just ordered the whole team docking stations to use at home.

I'm so confused.

Why am I getting a docking station a year after WFH started, a month before we're set to end.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Renegret posted:

My boss just ordered the whole team docking stations to use at home.

I'm so confused.

Why am I getting a docking station a year after WFH started, a month before we're set to end.

For the new mandatory on-call they'll be announcing next week. Since you proved you can do your job from home might as well have you do it from the office AND at home. Efficiency!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Motronic posted:

For the new mandatory on-call they'll be announcing next week. Since you proved you can do your job from home might as well have you do it from the office AND at home. Efficiency!

We already have mandatory on-call rotations.

In the almost a year I've been here I haven't been called a single time, so it's a free $300 every 4 weeks.